• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Say I'm curious, has anyone seen a 3D printed cartridge to put on our SNES classics? Cuz it sure would look better with a cart sticking out.

Deleted member 26139

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here's box art for Mario Paint to go along with the Control Pad hack. I used the same dimensions as the EarthBound box art.

FA43k5W.png
tqPYhY6.png

The hack itself works well enough, but I wish this screen hadn't been attached to the beginning of the game. Makes it feel less official.

Back to Pilotwings, I jumped to Flight Area 7 with password 165411 and the arches on FA8 still didn't work. I imagine it's the same story for password jumps to FA2-6.

By 'save file' do you mean save state?

If so, then did you by any chance start the game, made a save state, and then changed the Preset ID or changed ROMs or changed any configuration? Because if you did, that save state is retaining your old/previous configuration.

The only thing I changed was the Preset ID to BA10, and it's possible I did this after creating my initial save state on Flight Area 1 or 2. Not exactly sure. Maybe I should remove the Preset ID and try the FA8 password again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, that controller screen they added to the Mario Paint hack is awful. If I was a cleverer person I'd make an additional hack that skips it. But alas.

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I wouldn't use the .sfrom tool for hacks and translations, too much mixing of things that can go wrong. Just make your patch manually the old fashioned way and make sure hakchi has the Preset ID if it needs one. Worth noting that many Preset IDs meant for a game don't work with their English patched translations. I also note this on the spreadsheet.

I agree. Maybe my first post sounded a bit too enthusiastic. ;)

Also have to make myself more clear on one thing: the glitches in FFVI Ted Woolsey edition showed after creating a sfrom file by using the advanced mode but without applying any VC/PCM patch. So just to underline what was already mentioned by some: even when using the tool just for applying the "correct" Preset ID, problems may occur.

Interestingly, someone on reddit got the translated Bahamut Lagoon running by using the tool with 8E10 (108E) as ID... More testing this evening, sigh...

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Translated Bahamut Lagoon ran for me with 8F10, which is what I've logged on the sheet.
For Ted Woolsey, I didn't use the tool and just used DC10, and it's been fine.

Definitely not going to recommend the tool for hacks at all. Link to the Past Redux also gave a C7 with the standard LttP Preset ID.

Edit: Going by /r/miniSNESmods, it seems people have had trouble with BL because it's another bloody patch for a headered ROM.

I've been using Tush to sort this shit out, adding a header when needed, patching, then using Tush again to remove the header. As an extra step, I then pop over to ucon64 and correct the checksum, which nobody ever does. I wish people would stop spreading crap around.

Tush download.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Haven't checked this thread in a couple of months but just looked through the community sheet for compatibility.

If I read correctly, Robotrek and Terranigma now work without Retroarch? It states to use a patch. Do you patch it first and then copy it over to the console?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Haven't checked this thread in a couple of months but just looked through the community sheet for compatibility.

If I read correctly, Robotrek and Terranigma now work without Retroarch? It states to use a patch. Do you patch it first and then copy it over to the console?

Thanks.

Yep, just patch your base ROM before dragging it into hakchi and all will be well.

Oct 28, 2017
Translated Bahamut Lagoon ran for me with 8F10, which is what I've logged on the sheet.

Same for me. I'm following the tool primarily because I hope for Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia to get running in canoe in its translated forms. DarkAkuma seemingly wants to work on them.

As for the rest: I'm more testing than playing at the moment and will try to add on some games on your list that are still open at the moment.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been using Tush to sort this shit out, adding a header when needed, patching, then using Tush again to remove the header. As an extra step, I then pop over to ucon64 and correct the checksum, which nobody ever does. I wish people would stop spreading crap around.

Never used this one. But thanks for the hint, I'll give it a try in my future testing.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yep, for Star Ocean, Alpha 2, and Phantasia, the tool is/will be superb. Also for anything that had an official Virtual Console release before, this is the best way to get a "good" .sfrom. Personally I can't wait to see Star Ocean running, though I gather he's only working on the Japanese version, so I hope the fix works for the translation too...

Oct 28, 2017
At least at the moment. He mentioned in a comment to look into Tales of Phantasia after he finished the Star Ocean patch. Could be English but will probably be Japanese.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Ok, well did kidnemo use a password then? He did say its a game he has no problem beating

I played up through the game normally, when I turned it off and back on again later I just googled pilotwings passwords to get to the stage I was at when I was done. Password I used was: 760357 (first one to pop up on google).

This password DOES work on the retroarch 3ds version, but obviously not the canoe ver.

I'll play up through today using save states and see what I can find out.

Another unusual thing I noticed (and its in SCReuter screen shot as well) - there are red "approach" markers to show how to come at the landing strip, those aren't visible on my version with the arches you can't interact with.

Deleted member 26139

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Further Pilotwings testing: the arch glitch on Flight Area 8 occurs when you use a password on the REGULAR title screen to skip to the second half of the game (Flight Areas 5-8). The EXPERT title screen must be unlocked first (by completing Flight Area 4 and the bonus helicopter mission) to bypass the glitch. That's the trick. Once it's been unlocked, you can safely use the password to skip to FA8.

(Preset ID BA10. I didn't use any save states this time.)

Hausmeister

Nov 1, 2017
So I know I'm lazy asking, but maybe someone has a quick answer to this: SNES Modding / ROM loading without a Windows platform (Mac only) - possible or not? And if yes, is the Windows stuff more advanced at this point?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So I know I'm lazy asking, but maybe someone has a quick answer to this: SNES Modding / ROM loading without a Windows platform (Mac only) - possible or not? And if yes, is the Windows stuff more advanced at this point?
No, you'll need to boot into Windows by either installing it on a separate partition (Bootcamp) or using a virtual machine.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Pilotwings. My original load was processed via sftool with the proper ID and sound fix and I assumed everything was okay. Flight Lesson 8 had the same issue.
So I deleted the ROM.
I reloaded a *good!* ROM and let Haxchi process it. It gave it ID BD10. Flight Lesson 8 works like a charm now. I'm not hearing the issue with the music but maybe I'm not there yet.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Further Pilotwings testing: the arch glitch on Flight Area 8 occurs when you use a password on the REGULAR title screen to skip to the second half of the game (Flight Areas 5-8). The EXPERT title screen must be unlocked first (by completing Flight Area 4 and the bonus helicopter mission) to bypass the glitch. That's the trick. Once it's been unlocked, you can safely use the password to skip to FA8.

(Preset ID BA10. I didn't use any save states this time.)

Huh!

I wonder if you can put in a lvl 5 password (to unlock the expert title screen), exit out of the stage, then input the level 8 password.

Deleted member 26139

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I reloaded a *good!* ROM and let Haxchi process it. It gave it ID BD10. Flight Lesson 8 works like a charm now. I'm not hearing the issue with the music but maybe I'm not there yet.
Interesting. I'll have to try that Preset ID later today.

This issue probably isn't worth mentioning, but doing a soft reset on Super Buster Bros. corrupts the graphics.

ActRaiser 2's map screen isn't quite right either. The blue ocean should stretch to the horizon but instead there's an empty void.

p3jlLlv.png

I wonder if you can put in a lvl 5 password (to unlock the expert title screen), exit out of the stage, then input the level 8 password.
Didn't work. I also password skipped to the first helicopter stage, beat it, then password skipped to FA8, still didn't work. Maybe it's not so much about just unlocking the second title screen... I'll have to toy around with it some more this week, but for the test in my previous post, I played through FA1-4 plus the helicopter stage, then skipped to FA8 and that worked.

Last edit then I'm going to bed: Password skip from first title screen to FA4 -> beat FA4 and helicopter stage -> password skip from second title screen to FA8 -> SUCCESS. Arches register.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
As an extra step, I then pop over to ucon64 and correct the checksum

Oh this is slightly easier to use than getting uCON64 set up.

Checksum Recalculator

There shouldn't be a reason to fix the checksum, and as a long long term member of snes emulation community, it hurts to see people correcting the checksums on unoriginal titles. It recalls memories of the late 90's/early aughts and being yelled by people fixing the checksum on bad roms then coming to the snes9x forums to complain.

"I made it stop saying bad checksum but it still doesn't work!"

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Pilotwings exhibiting no problems with a Super Mario Kart PID would be odd, but if it works it works.

As for fixing checksums it's a perfect way to make sure someone has the correct final patched ROM result. Plus we now have tools such as sfrom which performs operations based on the checksum, and if you're telling it that it's LttP when it's actually LttP Redux then you're going to have issues.

But yes if people are being stupid and correcting a checksum of a bad rom then that's on them. I realise I might be anal about it but I also consider myself pretty advanced with this whole thing and so just like the extra step.

What annoys me more is the headsets/unheadered confusion out there. I remember byuu came up with a patch format to tackle that but it seems nobody uses it.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
This issue probably isn't worth mentioning, but doing a soft reset on Super Buster Bros. corrupts the graphics.

ActRaiser 2's map screen isn't quite right either. The blue ocean should stretch to the horizon but instead there's an empty void.

Any weird issues you come across are definitely worth mentioning. Most of my tests of games are basically "does it load and does it look fine?" so there will probably be weird quirks like these in this emulator that not many people will see.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yep, any issues no matter how weird or minor should be mentioned. My tests certainly won't uncover some of the deeper things that crop up.

I check the game loads, listen for audio problems, check the option screens and the like, play a few levels looking for any odd graphics and quirks, and if the game has sram I check it saved after I reboot it.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else noticed this? Even with the latest hakchi version installed I'm still noticing slight sound skips or pitch variations in some places, even in stock games. The most notable is Yoshi's Island when the game transitions from the title screen to the intro cutscene and back, when leaving the game idle. A small skip (or pop) can be heard. This doesn't happen when hakchi isn't installed, which leaves me to believe that hakchi is still somehow eating away at Canoe's performance. Does cluster know?

Bumping my post because no one has responded. So am I the only one with the issue then? No one has experienced this?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Well, it was what Haxchi assigned to it when adding the ROM... perhaps because they both use the DSP??

Yeah, Cluster had no interest in assigning "correct" PIDs to games, and back when this was coded we didn't know Pilotwings' official PID, so what we have is what stuck in the early days. You'll note newly discovered ones were never added to hakchi at all. It would be a great coincidence if this "incorrect" PID also makes it work properly!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So BD10 for Pilotwings:

Arches work and red landing orbs are present in FA8.
Audio issues are once again present. (Just pause the game to see)

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
So BD10 for Pilotwings:

Arches work and red landing orbs are present in FA8.
Audio issues are once again present. (Just pause the game to see)

So where we stand now is:

BA10 - no emulation problems other than the area 8 light win arch issues
BD10 - sound issues when pausing game, but no area 8 arch issue

BA10 - playing through the game from the beginning, not using any passwords, area 8 completely playable and no sound issues?

I'm still planning on checking the last one today if no one else is.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm absolute poop at Pilotwings so it sounds like you and SCReuter are the designated Pilotwings QA

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone pm me on how to get terranigma worling on this? I'm just not getting it.

Oct 28, 2017
After some further testing for the compatibility sheet:

The Lion King - working without specific PID
Raiden Trad - working without specific PID
Untouchables - crashing for me with C7 after start screen, no specific PID used/known to me
Utopia - working without specific PID
Xardion - working without specific PID

I also tested Bahamut Lagoon with 8E10 as PID (patched rom directly added by hakchi, no sfrom tool used). It works just like the already known 8F10. So maybe usable as an alternative should problems arise further into the game.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Heh, a good example of why knowledge of the game you are testing can be useful. The other sheet has an issue listed that you get softlocked in the first section of Jurassic Park 2. The fact is, you don't. Watch this video at 4:10. :)

Edit: Why do so many SNES platformers fuck up the buttons? Like, platformers are a very common thing on SNES, so if you make one and don't put jump on B, you're a bit of a dick. Just loaded up Lion King for a bit and his attack is on A instead of Y. Just stupid!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Why do so many SNES platformers fuck up the buttons? Like, platformers are a very common thing on SNES, so if you make one and don't put jump on B, you're a bit of a dick. Just loaded up Lion King for a bit and his attack is on A instead of Y. Just stupid!

Yup. Got almost killed in the first level while testing, just because I mixed up the buttons.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Robin I noticed your spreadsheet lists Clayfighter TE and Clayfighter 2 as working but there were definitely graphical glitches when I last tried them in Canoe

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Robin64 I guess you want to keep the notes to one line, but I think it's for everyone's benefit to allow multiple lines if more thorough notes are needed? For the example, the Pilowings notes. It says it has audio issues, but someone not familiar with the whole situation will not know where the audio issues happen and might think the notes are wrong when he doesn't notice any audio issues right away. Also, it would be good to write that the Rings don't work if you use a password, but do work if you play through the game normally without restarting.
And on the Megaman X2 entry, there are more issues than just slowdown. It would be good to detail a bit where these major slowdowns happen.

The reason for more thorough notes is because someone, eventually, might work on a patch or find some ID and only test the 1 or 2 issues in your doc, instead of testing all the issues if there were more thorough notes. Of course, I'm not saying to list every single error minutia, but overflowing to 2 or 3 lines wouldn't hurt either :)

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
why does dr mario & tetris need a patch? i played some dr mario and it worked fine. didn't touch tet tho

also NBA JAM 2017 seemed fine from what i played of it, important to note though that the options screen is busted and won't work; not exclusive to the mini, it's for all versions.
for the PC version, i booted up regular TE, made a save state with my desired options, and loaded it in an emulator renamed as a 2017 save. haven't been able to do a similar thing for the snes mini version though.

EDIT: I found a fixed patch that lets you use the menu in JAM 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3488/

ALSO: the illusion of gaia link in the second post is busted, FYI. does it have a preset id, or just need the patch?

for oh no! zombies ate more neighbors...should i be using the ZAMN preset, of 0710? or just run it straight? i don't understand why it'd be different for a rom hack, but i know nothing about this, opinions robin?

Thanks for all the help!

nba give n go seems to work fine for me. amazing game for the tech at the time!
yoshi's island pacifier edition hack just comes back to the menu for me, won't load

Last edited:

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
NHL 96 and 97 are definitely busted. Pressing any button during a game just takes you back to the pre-game selection menu

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
this mod works for nba jam TE, and is HIGHLY recommended if you want to play with the original rosters (it unlocks all the characters, as if you beat all the teams in the game)

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1305/

i can't believe there's no ken griffey hacks. i'd so love to take the modern indians without having to rename the entire game roster lolol
edit: nm, a quick google found ken griffey 2016, there goes my life. it seems to play fine, i don't want to link it here tho for fear of breaking a rule, it's nice though
there's also one based on winning run but i didn't play that one because the original mannnnn

Last edited:

Deleted member 26139

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pilotwings solution: Before playing Flight Area 8 (760357), clear at least one ring with the Rocket Belt on Flight Area 2 (985206), 4 (520771), or 6 (773224). Passwords and soft resets can be used to speed up the process.

I tested every stage and it's only those three Rocket Belt lessons that corrected the arches on FA8. (Expert mode had nothing to do with it.)

Last edited: