• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I feel like I've gotten rusty at patching games (or that SNESc patching is pickier than emulators, flash carts or SuperNT).

For SNES classic titles that we want to patch, like a JP game that has a translation patch, that also has a SNESc fix patch, and an SPC and/or VC patch, is this the right order?

Start with an unpatched no-intro ROM
Patch the translation patch
Patch any additional mod patches to the ROM
Patch the SNESc fix patch (if there is one)
Patch the SPC and/or VC patch
Load into Hakchi

Voila? Or Is a step out of order?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
VC patches and whatnot assume you are dealing with the game and nothing but. When you involve translations and hacks then there's a degree of incompatibility.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
VC patches and whatnot assume you are dealing with the game and nothing but. When you involve translations and hacks then there's a degree of incompatibility.
So ideally, if I'm going to use a translation or hack patch, try to use it without a VC patch, yeah?

Are there any notorious games that are incompatible with multiple patches?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I've also finally gone back into adding new titles to my Classic after having been content with the first batch I installed almost a year ago, since it would appear I have quite a bit of on-board memory to work with. Still using the old hakchi 2.21f build I've started first with a number of rom-hacked and translation-patched games (including replacing a few that have had meaningful updates and bug fixes since then) as I've learned that they're often the trickiest for the Classic to deal with. A very belated Thank You to Sluffy (and everyone else involved) in getting problem games like english-patched Dragon Quest 3 and CT hack Crimson Echoes working under Canoe despite being expanded roms.

Canoe's a rather finicky beast though, it keeps fighting me on almost every file. BS Zeldas Third and Fourth Quest initially gave errors just using hakchi to add them as pre-patched roms, and with no preset ID to use I used SFROMTool and Robin's patch pack (which I've had some success with when adding other roms) but the resulting sfroms gave errors too. Fortunately, that community spreadsheet included direct-links to Sluffy's stand alone patches for both games. So I took the pre-patched roms and applied sluffy's patches and THEN added them directly into hakchi, which did the trick.

It's a sometimes slow and tedious process, but worth it every time a new game boots up.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
In your opinion, as SNES connoisseurs and SNES Classic aficionados.... what games are missing from the SFROM Mega Pack v1.1? It's got 249 games now. Should the original games included on the SNES Classic be on there?

This is just, of course, a purely speculative question, and in no way represents any allegiance with the Mega Pack King

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
In your opinion, as SNES connoisseurs and SNES Classic aficionados.... what games are missing from the SFROM Mega Pack v1.1? It's got 249 games now. Should the original games included on the SNES Classic be on there?

This is just, of course, a purely speculative question, and in no way represents any allegiance with the Mega Pack King

Why would there be a copy of the original games in the pack? It's not like you can delete them from your classic system (and if you want to use the roms on a pc emulator, you can use the normal no-intro rom)

demi

Oct 27, 2017

You are doing an amazing job devaluing the work put into this :)

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I don't know what you mean.... anyway, this was a community effort. Mega Pack King just compiled stuff.

It might be worth having the original games on there, in case people want to tweak the preset IDs or whatever. I don't know. The pack does have patched versions of Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Final Fantasy VI (tweaked for slowdown issues and language/numbering differences, respectively). Are there any other of the core games that have necessary tweaks?

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Need a refresher. I'm using Multipatch and I need to convert a bps file to ips for a fan patch. How do i do it?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

I just looked up the mega pack and at a slight glance, Mega Man X2 seems like a big omission (the slowdown issue).

If the original games have a better version, why not include them? IIRC, Contra III has a lot of its flicker toned down for the SNESc release.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Why do you need to convert a BPS file? Just use BEAT or something like FLIPS

www.romhacking.net

Floating IPS

Floating IPS is an IPS patcher, intended to replace Lunar IPS. * Can apply multiple patches at on

It was easier for me to convert bps to ips and get it to work.

Done it twice before to get fan translation to work. Got a bps file of a english fan translation on custom robo, which i'm having trouble getting to work.

Using a mac so.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Does anyone have any references on more of the technical aspects of how these exploits were found? With the Sega Genesis Mini coming out in a few months, I thought it would be to try to learn how a system like that works by fiddling around with it. More so for my own benefit rather to create a project that others would use, as I imagine more knowledgeable people than myself would do that. I'm just curious on how they went from having a mystery box in front of them to establishing a FTP connection, figuring out the filesystem, getting the system to recognize the games, etc.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Managed to successfully hack my SNES Mini with a GBA emulator and Mother 3. Very happy to finally be able to play it :)

My only complaint atm is that the game looks a bit... fuzzy, compared to the SNES games preloaded which are as crisp looking as ever. I'm assuming all GBA games will look a bit fuzzy. Any way to fix that?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Some people did a v 2.0 of the Sailor Moon RPG translation. I haven't tested this yet, but for those interested:

That's amazing. I haven't replayed in ages and this is a great excuse to.

Honestly, if someone hasn't done it already, this probably deserves a thread all of it's own.

I feel like I've gotten rusty at patching games (or that SNESc patching is pickier than emulators, flash carts or SuperNT).

For SNES classic titles that we want to patch, like a JP game that has a translation patch, that also has a SNESc fix patch, and an SPC and/or VC patch, is this the right order?

Start with an unpatched no-intro ROM
Patch the translation patch
Patch any additional mod patches to the ROM
Patch the SNESc fix patch (if there is one)
Patch the SPC and/or VC patch
Load into Hakchi

Voila? Or Is a step out of order?
There is no perfect order, but if you're going to try this, I'd honestly put the translation patch last or near the last. These translations patches are doing MASSIVE changes to the rom, almost always expanding their size and rearranging large chunks to fit in text and graphical work. Most of these other patches are relatively minor and are less likely to affect the translation than the other way around.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Works fine. Which is good, been meaning to play this at some point, so this is as good an excuse as any.

ozAQvfW.png

Edit: Interesting. When you access the diary and go to "Puzzle", the next screen is entirely black. You can hear cursor movement though and can back out of it. Does the same on the latest snes9x too. Think I'll ask about this in the RH thread.

l2f2XNB.png

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I would report that in that thread for sure, if only because it affects snes9x as well

Does it do the same thing on the old patch?

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Managed to successfully hack my SNES Mini with a GBA emulator and Mother 3. Very happy to finally be able to play it :)

My only complaint atm is that the game looks a bit... fuzzy, compared to the SNES games preloaded which are as crisp looking as ever. I'm assuming all GBA games will look a bit fuzzy. Any way to fix that?

Enter retroarch options, go to video and either turn off bilinear filtering or modify the resolution/scaling oprions to something closer to the original system.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Enter retroarch options, go to video and either turn off bilinear filtering or modify the resolution/scaling oprions to something that closer to the original system.
Cool! I'll toy with it when I get home. I believe I can do this simply using the emulator on the SNES itself, yea? Like by accessing options by pressing Start + Select at the same time?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have any references on more of the technical aspects of how these exploits were found? With the Sega Genesis Mini coming out in a few months, I thought it would be to try to learn how a system like that works by fiddling around with it. More so for my own benefit rather to create a project that others would use, as I imagine more knowledgeable people than myself would do that. I'm just curious on how they went from having a mystery box in front of them to establishing a FTP connection, figuring out the filesystem, getting the system to recognize the games, etc.

It's better if you ask on the discord channel of the people that worked on it.

However, hardware these days are not mystery boxes. They are using common components and common programming language. Anyone that knows how it works can find a flaw and attack through there.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Bah, apparently that screen IS blank until you find some pieces.

They could make that clearer in the game. Instead you can hear your cursor noise as you press d-pad directions, so I just assumed there was something I couldn't see.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Is there a general Google doc or something that shows off the entire SNES/SFC library and what variables and emulator you need to use in order to run them on the Classic?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Bah, apparently that screen IS blank until you find some pieces.

They could make that clearer in the game. Instead you can hear your cursor noise as you press d-pad directions, so I just assumed there was something I couldn't see.
Was just about to let you know this when I saw your response. Yeah, all of the menus make the cursor sound even when you point it in directions you can't go. Seems it's tied to the button press instead of any actual thing that makes sense.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a general Google doc or something that shows off the entire SNES/SFC library and what variables and emulator you need to use in order to run them on the Classic?

I help maintain and update a doc dedicated to Nintendo's emulator. You can ignore it if you plan on just using Retroarch instead. I have no experience with Retroarch so I cannot help you with any of that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8t2aV5cVswYlnsdKxn9xoIW2Y/edit#gid=2014317767

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I've looked at a few guides but can't make up my mind.

What is the best USB adapter to expand my storage on the SNESC?

I'd like to get a full set of US SNES roms on there.

I generally recommend the Inateck USB 2.0 adapter, with the caveat that you have to use its power adapter instead of the SNES Classic's power cable, and it's very short. I'd say it's just over 1 foot long. I got a USB extension cable for it, but I found my system would randomly shut off occasionally when I had it connected to the extension.

There's a small left-angled OTG adapter recommended by some guides which I originally used, but I found it to be very fiddly and would lose its data connection. It doesn't sit very tightly in the SNES's power port. I know of at least one person who has reported it working fine for him, though.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Question about the 63 title limit (recommendation):

Does that include the titles already stored on the SNES Classic or does that mean 63 titles afterwards? I'm trying to decide which ones I should add to this (to make it as stable as possible and that I don't need to create folders and such and I can install thumbnail art for them all), so I need to know what the maximum number of this 63 I can pull from.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Question about the 63 title limit (recommendation):

Does that include the titles already stored on the SNES Classic or does that mean 63 titles afterwards? I'm trying to decide which ones I should add to this (to make it as stable as possible and that I don't need to create folders and such and I can install thumbnail art for them all), so I need to know what the maximum number of this 63 I can pull from.

It's not 63, it's 45 titles per page/folder. Anything above that, you run the risk of getting crashes. You can have as many games as you want as long as you keep them in folders in 45-game chunks.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Speaking of translations, any hope of getting the new Fire Emblem Thracia 776 translation working someday, or is that a lost cause?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not 63, it's 45 titles per page/folder. Anything above that, you run the risk of getting crashes. You can have as many games as you want as long as you keep them in folders in 45-game chunks.
Oh, gotcha. So as long as I make it so no more than 45 titles are in each folder, I'll be okay and I can add thumbnail art for them all and everything? If so, I might just create two folders, one for letters A ~ M and one for letters N ~ Z.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of translations, any hope of getting the new Fire Emblem Thracia 776 translation working someday, or is that a lost cause?

at this point, there pretty much will be no more Canoe fixes unless someone with the know-how can fill sluffy's shoes or romhackers take Canoe into consideration for their projects.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Oh, gotcha. So as long as I make it so no more than 45 titles are in each folder, I'll be okay and I can add thumbnail art for them all and everything? If so, I might just create two folders, one for letters A ~ M and one for letters N ~ Z.

You can absolutely do this. I say this as someone with over 300 SNES games on my system alone, not counting the number of games from other systems. Personally, I like to keep the original games separate from the added games, but that's just a personal taste. I have it set up as follows:

Original games on the main menu
1 Folder containing only added SNES games (which contains numerous folders from A - Z with SNES games in them)
1 Folder containing added games for other Nintendo systems (again, with subfolders)
1 Folder containing added games for other systems that don't fall into the above two categories (yes, more subfolders)

Last edited:

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You can absolutely do this. I saw this as someone with over 300 SNES games on my system alone, not counting the number of games from other systems. Personally, I like to keep the original games separate from the added games, but that's just a personal taste. I have it set up as follows:

Original games on the main menu
1 Folder containing only added SNES games (which contains numerous folders from A - Z with SNES games in them)
1 Folder containing added games for other Nintendo systems (again, with subfolders)
1 Folder containing added games for other systems that don't fall into the above two categories (yes, more subfolders)
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll definitely go ahead with that! I'm not interested in adding anything beyond the SNES, so I'll just stick with the original games on the main menu as well as an additional folder for the added SNES games (further separated into other folders).

I guess I have a project to work on this weekend!

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
£26 for a Playstation mini on Amazon.co.uk.... anyone tempted?

Maybe for the USB controller, then I'd throw the unit in the bin.

To clarify, none of the hacks use the built-in emulator, do they? Because as far as I know, that emulator is shit. So at that point it's another Retroarch machine, and I have better things for that.

Last edited:

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
I have no nostalgia for the playstation, and no desire to play any of those games. So I would be getting this purely to be able to play dreamcast at full speed or something. I don't know. £26 is crazy cheap though

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Every mention of Dreamcast in the PS Classic thread is always "it's a bit hit and miss" and "some games are acceptable". Maybe it's come on a lot since those comments were made, I don't know, but nobody is really blowing trumpets about DC emulation in there.

Edit: Having said that, things in this video seem to be running alright? But I wonder how curated the list of games is.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I have two playstation classics and I can't be fucked to do them up. You're honestly better off buying a VitaTV and hacking it, Sony's emulator seems way more solid than Retroarch.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Enter retroarch options, go to video and either turn off bilinear filtering or modify the resolution/scaling oprions to something closer to the original system.
Thanks for this, it worked! Game looks crisp as hell.

However, is there anyway to make the change permanent? I have to routinely change the setting every time I start the game.

As an aside, can I change game cover art after already uploading the game into my SNES? I wanna give Mother 3 a boxart and tried to do so, but it keeps coming up as a broken folder. Game works fine, just visually there's no boxart.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this, it worked! Game looks crisp as hell.

However, is there anyway to make the change permanent? I have to routinely change the setting every time I start the game.

As an aside, can I change game cover art after already uploading the game into my SNES? I wanna give Mother 3 a boxart and tried to do so, but it keeps coming up as a broken folder. Game works fine, just visually there's no boxart.

Go to quick menu, at the bottom is Override. Select save core Override and it will save the changes for that GBA core.

Just add the cover art with hakchi.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Go to quick menu, at the bottom is Override. Select save core Override and it will save the changes for that GBA core.

Just add the cover art with hakchi.
Through my laptop, correct?

I tried doing so last night; added the image through Hakchi and pressed 'synchronize to SNES' and it made the cover art image into a broken looking folder. I'll try again tonight.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Through my laptop, correct?

I tried doing so last night; added the image through Hakchi and pressed 'synchronize to SNES' and it made the cover art image into a broken looking folder. I'll try again tonight.
Well that won't work.

If it's anything like adding regular SNES games then there should be a a 'Browse' button in the lower-right corner of the 'Game Options' window (highlight the game in the list to see it). Click that and select the artwork for the cover and hakchi will add it to the game properly. THEN you can synch.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Well that won't work.

If it's anything like adding regular SNES games then there should be a a 'Browse' button in the lower-right corner of the 'Game Options' window (highlight the game in the list to see it). Click that and select the artwork for the cover and hakchi will add it to the game properly. THEN you can synch.
Great! Will check it out when I get home.

I was just worried that synching the games would delete the save data or corrupt the game or something. Thanks!

EDIT:

Put together a box and an icon for Mother 3 if anyone is interested :)

Boxart:

Mother-3.png

Icon:

Lucas.png

Hope it works when I get home :)

EDIT: It did. Great!

Happy I can get this stuff working on my own. Super fun!

Last edited: