• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
only liked the first two characters, the third one looked uselessly complicated and clunky to use....wonder how this one will play
Once you learn the 3rd character, which isn't that hard, it's a lot of fun. Some of the decks you can put together are so much fun. Defect is probably my favorite

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
OK I'm newish to PC gaming. Been well over a decade. Is the patch automatic if you have the game from Game Pass or do I have to proactively find it and download it?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Love this game, but managed to win on my first try with the Watcher. Seems like she needs some balancing as you can really set up some high damage turns just to wipe the bosses out.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Actually, it looks like the game *is* on Steam. I just started the mobile version, and it's quite fun so far!

I know that steam reviews have their issues but I think I'm going to listen to them this time and not play the steam version. Read that it ain't as good as the Android version and that it can be buggy. And besides it's not like I'm in that much of a rush to play a card battle game, I just found Slay the spire to be a fun game but I didn't like the rougelike aspect so I wondered if there is a game like it but as I said with a different progression system.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Love this game, but managed to win on my first try with the Watcher. Seems like she needs some balancing as you can really set up some high damage turns just to wipe the bosses out.
That's what ascencion is there for, up the challenge at your own pace.

All characters can do some nasty shit if you give em the right cards, tho I do agree Defect is pretty good (Wrath is too good)

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
That's what ascencion is there for, up the challenge at your own pace.

All characters can do some nasty shit if you give em the right cards, tho I do agree Defect is pretty good (Wrath is too good)

It actually took me 22 hours playing the first three characters before I got a win with the ironclad haha, so it was a surprise indeed when I did it on the first go with her.

Haven't really explored Ascension, will give that a go.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I can't comment on if this got fixed this because I've never had an issue with it working on my dual monitors o.O
I played earlier today while streaming a concert on my second monitor :P
When I try to put it fullscreen on the tv, it flickers. The TV and the monitor don't have the same refresh rate so I guess that's the culprit.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
When I try to put it fullscreen on the tv, it flickers. The TV and the monitor don't have the same refresh rate so I guess that's the culprit.
ah yeah. that could be. my TV is a 4k TV and I had slow down issues on some games because of the refresh rate so I just forced my TV to match my monitor a while back.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat, I completely missed that there was a big new update. I stopped playing after beating the secret boss way back when that was added to the game. I thought they had said they were pretty much done with new content after that.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
i 100% this game on steam, kinda want to buy it for the switch...
Do it, do it, do it...

Seriously though it's easily the best game I have for transport, travel, random play and so on.
I'm aaaaalways ok for one run or 2.

Did you already climb ascensions ?
If not go for it, so rewarding.
If yes, do it again to see how faster and better you are now lol.

Adlez

Oct 25, 2017
Do it, do it, do it...

Seriously though it's easily the best game I have for transport, travel, random play and so on.
I'm aaaaalways ok for one run or 2.

Did you already climb ascensions ?
If not go for it, so rewarding.
If yes, do it again to see how faster and better you are now lol.
yeah, i'm at ascension 20 for ironclad and the slient, i suck at the defect, still climbing on the 4th. not sure if i want to grind ascension again...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Been playing Pirate outlaws on my phone which is really similar(actually got reccomended it in one of these threads) but now I'm wondering what the differences are

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Only waiting for console update.
I own on Steam, PS4 and Switch but have settled in to playing the Switch version.
(WHY do I own this 3 times lol?!)
Amazing game - I can't believe we are getting a 4th character. In a lot of games that kind of addition would be cool but in STS it's huge and a game changer. Can't wait.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
yeah, i'm at ascension 20 for ironclad and the slient, i suck at the defect, still climbing on the 4th. not sure if i want to grind ascension again...
Is it really grind when it's just "doing another run" : P ...
Defect clicked quickly for me (in the sense that I felt it was the easiest character by far).
I just had a "how am I supposed to kill Awakened One with a deck relying on powers" moment in high ascension.
Now I'm probably better with it than Ironclad (I struggle a bit with Clad) on A20, Silent is first, easiest for me.

I feel like it has the best act 1 if you're not too unlucky with card+map on these rare times (where you chose the best whale bonus to compensate as much as possible).
So you really have to get a big act 1 to get that momentum for later.

SO looking forward to the new relics, new boss relic pool and obviously the Watcher. I'd honestly play this game forever if there were new characters every now and then.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Watcher is a pretty interesting character and unique in her mechanics. But as soon as you get her "quirk", it frankly becomes the easiest character in the whole game tbqh. Unless there are some nerfs coming with the console patch as well.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet ive been back to playing it a lot lately

Is there new cards for the other 3 characetrs too?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sweet ive been back to playing it a lot lately

Is there new cards for the other 3 characetrs too?

No, just updates to certain cards and relics as per this latest update. I forget if it's what the current PC patch is, since I'm running Beta version and I haven't paid attention if there were beta updates. But everyone is in for a treat. The Watcher is amazing, and I think she's surpassed Defect as my fave character.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing. I was just thinking I could really go for a new character and just figured they had moved on to their next game. Can't wait for tomorrow!

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
No, just updates to certain cards and relics as per this latest update. I forget if it's what the current PC patch is, since I'm running Beta version and I haven't paid attention if there were beta updates. But everyone is in for a treat. The Watcher is amazing, and I think she's surpassed Defect as my fave character.

I would have liked to see a slight refesh for the older guys but i imagine it would be a pain in the ass to rebalance the game with new cards as they'd clog up the card pool/how they interact with all the existing relics and everything. At that point id rather they just save new ideas for a sequel.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no. I have Animal Crossing now. And I finally started playing MegamanZero/ZX Legacy Collection. And I just put Spire down like, two weeks ago. I don't know if I can fit it back into the rotation, but I certainly wanna try the new character!

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Woof, poor timing, so many games and only so much quarantime. Still can't wait for Watcher.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I 100ed% both and I'd chose StS despite liking all steamworld games, including quest.

But if you only like game with a classic progression, story , you might want Quest instead.
But gameplay/mechanics/balance are better in StS.

Good to know, thanks. I'm more into straight gameplay and someone else made a similar comment so I may end up going for slay the spire though I enjoy steamworld games as well.