• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

The first official gameplay demo for Skywind shown at Gamescom this year! Two of our developers had a chance to talk about the game during GameStar's live coverage of the convention. Check out the link above to hear their commentary and insight. While we want to show off iconic things like levitation, cliff racers, and new dungeon types, we felt the need to show something more polished and presentable for Gamescom. This gives a great preview of our music, voice acting, spears, town AI, and more but we know it isn't exactly groundbreaking. We'll have more gameplay to share in the coming months that will give you a rougher but more in depth look into the current state of the game and it's unique systems, so be sure to subscribe and keep an eye out for that!
----------------------
This is looking fantastic. That's my Balmora =,)

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks pretty neat, but the thing that will always put be off of huge fan mods like this is the amateurish sounding voice recordings. The acting itself is fine, but there's some weird post processing of some sort, like it was recorded on a gaming headset first

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Knowing that I'll eventually be able to play the greatest RPG ever made in VR fills me with joy.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017

Check out the full GameStar interview here: https://youtu.be/Nhm32boxs3A

The first official gameplay demo for Skywind shown at Gamescom this year! Two of our developers had a chance to talk about the game during GameStar's live coverage of the convention. Check out the link above to hear their commentary and insight. While we want to show off iconic things like levitation, cliff racers, and new dungeon types, we felt the need to show something more polished and presentable for Gamescom. This gives a great preview of our music, voice acting, spears, town AI, and more but we know it isn't exactly groundbreaking. We'll have more gameplay to share in the coming months that will give you a rougher but more in depth look into the current state of the game and it's unique systems, so be sure to subscribe and keep an eye out for that!

Not to be outdone by the slick looking Skyblivion trailer to come out recently, the Skywind team just put out a video showcasing a full quest walkthrough from the Morag Tong questline. Certain aspects of it look like they could use some polish, such as the dialogue treatment and the spear animations, but the environment, atmosphere, and even the armors showcased look spot on and really nail the alien Morrowind atmosphere for me. An interesting bit, the questgiver gave directions to the target area still and seemingly only gave a map marker for a nearby point of reference. If they're keeping the directions and navigation aspect of getting around Vvardenfell, that's a pleasant surprise I didn't see happening.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am excited for these projects so much. My top three anticipated projects are all fan efforts.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought these were ambitious mods, does them being presented at Gamescom mean they have official support?

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's some Skyrim-ass combat. I do like the little embellishments made to the environment (like the big glass window added to the Balmora Mages Guild); feels true to both the aesthetic of the newer games and old Morrowind, if that makes any sense.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This looks pretty neat, but the thing that will always put be off of huge fan mods like this is the amateurish sounding voice recordings. The acting itself is fine, but there's some weird post processing of some sort, like it was recorded on a gaming headset first

The Bruma mod for Skyrim had great VA. You wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't original.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I thought these were ambitious mods, does them being presented at Gamescom mean they have official support?

Not official support, but Bethesda has given them their blessing in that they won't pursue legal action. The installer for these mods will check for legitimately owned copies of both Skyrim and Morrowind/Oblivion.

Plus things like this save Bethesda the trouble of ever remaking the games themselves.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was the town at the beginning Balmora? I thought this was going to be a 1:1 adaptation of landscape and cities. Are they changing stuff other than the cities?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
by the time this is finished we'll have ESVI and it'll be a big game of catch up again to port Skyrim to that engine version.

it's cool but kinda dumb too.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Was the town at the beginning Balmora? I thought this was going to be a 1:1 adaptation of landscape and cities. Are they changing stuff other than the cities?

It seems like it's mostly the same layout, just spread out a bit more and made to feel more lived-in. The first minute or so is a walk along the north bank of the river and heading up to the Morag Tong hall, and from my memory seems correct. It looks as though they've added stairs down to docks along the river, though, and towards the end of the video it looks like they've added merchant stalls to the plaza between all the shops.

I believe in terms of landscape, they're going for the same layout and feel but making the geography a bit more interesting. They've discussed it in past teaser videos, but I an't recall exactly.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
feels like they made the roads wider. Balmora feels less claustrophobic and I don't like it.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just played Morrowind this year for the first time, this mod is fucking gorgeous. Really excited to see it in its full glory.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Knowing that I'll eventually be able to play the greatest RPG ever made in VR fills me with joy.
Holy shit. I wasn't even thinking about this. I'm super excited now. I got Morrowind when it was free awhile back and got Skyrim VR last month, so I'm set!

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, a gamescom demo? They've made it to the big games. Hope it works on Skyrim VR, Morrowind is a world that I want to completely sink into.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I really like what they did with Balmora it reminds me of the more minimalist town overhauls for Skyrim where they add to the clutter while keeping in line with the original design. There's some really nice texture and model work in this mod and Skyblivion, here I really like the lave and lava flow which isn't an easy thing to do. Really glad they implemented spears but the spear on the back looks a bit silly although I don't really have a better alternative maybe a "sheathe" where the player just holds it upright.

I'm also excited to mode these games. Things like iNeed and Wildcat should work with some tweaking.

by the time this is finished we'll have ESVI and it'll be a big game of catch up again to port Skyrim to that engine version.

it's cool but kinda dumb too.
I have high hopes theses will release before TES VI we still have Starfield and it's post launch before TES VI. I think Skyblivion will release first because they're not redoing the voice acting.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
I really like what they did with Balmora it reminds me of the more minimalist town overhauls for Skyrim where they add to the clutter while keeping in line with the original design. There's some really nice texture and model work in this mod and Skyblivion, here I really like the lave and lava flow which isn't an easy thing to do. Really glad they implemented spears but the spear on the back looks a bit silly although I don't really have a better alternative maybe a "sheathe" where the player just holds it upright.

I'm also excited to mode these games. Things like iNeed and Wildcat should work with some tweaking.

I have high hopes theses will release before TES VI we still have Starfield and it's post launch before TES VI. I think Skyblivion will release first because they're not redoing the voice acting.

There's no way TES6 is out before 2023, so I can see both of these coming out first.

God, I can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
That looks so good. Makes me want to play Morrowind again. I miss how levitation allowed them to use elevation in some of the map designs.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be amazing if Bethesda made a deal with them and release this for consoles as a paid game.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The problem is that this project will be completed in a time when Skyrim's engine will be really dated. Skywind will be a more modern experience than Morrowind but time also moves on.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Without the fog and the inclusion of longer draw distances it's always weird to see where you are in relation to the rest of Vvardenfell. Red mountain is close to Balmora, Seyda Neen is just across a bay from Vivec City. I had a similar experience with Vvardenfell in ESO.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Without the fog and the inclusion of longer draw distances it's always weird to see where you are in relation to the rest of Vvardenfell. Red mountain is close to Balmora, Seyda Neen is just across a bay from Vivec City. I had a similar experience with Vvardenfell in ESO.
I've been playing Morrowind with the graphics extender recently which allows you to improve draw distance and remove fog and yes, I've been experiencing the same thing. That giant rock floating over Vivec is just right fucking there.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
remember when people threw a complete shitfit over the idea of [optionally] paid mods

probably would have led to more things like this, from people normally unable to devote the time to it
If Bethesda started their whole thing with content like this, I'm sure it would had gone over better.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I have been waiting for this for a long time. I own morrowind, but the gameplay is so bloody clunky and reliant on invisible dice rolls. I fell in love with the look and feel of morrowind with skyrim's dragonborn expansion. I love the dunmer, I love all the aweosme armour made out of bone. There's a wonderful, earthy homey element to the setting even when covered in ash. So morrowid with modern conveniences woud be awesome.

I'm kind of amazed an official remake has never happened.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving what I'm seeing with the sole exception of the dialogue...I actually prefer the dialogue box we had in Morrowind. :(

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
remember when people threw a complete shitfit over the idea of [optionally] paid mods

probably would have led to more things like this, from people normally unable to devote the time to it
We still have paid mods with the creation club now. Those releases are some high quality (some not) weapons and armor for the most part. Nothing on this scale.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is the whole game this drab and devoid of color because its a huge turn off for me? I mean, I'm not expecting HZD levels of color but that was awful looking in my opinion.

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
My only real complaint so far is the use of Skyrim's map system. Give me a drawn cloth like map any day. The 3d system in Skyrim never made sense and always bugged me, especially since they have a beautiful version of the map in game, the physical version which came included with the game.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
I remember first hearing about Skywind in 2012 I think, been a long time, hope its finished before ES6

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Is the whole game this drab and devoid of color because its a huge turn off for me? I mean, I'm not expecting HZD levels of color but that was awful looking in my opinion.
The ashlands surrounding the valcano are like that. There's also more swampy areas as well as green areas near plantations.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that this project will be completed in a time when Skyrim's engine will be really dated. Skywind will be a more modern experience than Morrowind but time also moves on.

I think people would be okay with this. The problem with Morrowind, in respect to the whole series, is it's the middle ground between the earlier games dice roll gameplay and later games realtime gameplay and I think this is the current obstacle for people to like the game. If you told players that swinging their weapons and using their shields to block, in first-person, had a chance of being successful, that's probably a hard ask of them. It's what makes going back to the older games so hard, even when the first two games have modern open-source versions and the games themselves are free. Mechnically, just on gameplay alone, Morrowind probably needs something like Skywind to capture the audience of current Elder Scrolls fans, perhaps more than Oblivion. Skyblivion, by contrast, looks to be Oblivion but with less of the overworld feeling like it was procedurally generated.

One of the guys leading Skyblivion has implied it's better for projects like this to not be paid for, as team members come and go so frequently, the questions of who gets paid for what become a confusing issue, and get in the way of production. What Bethesda is doing with the Creation Club, getting smaller sized projects and backing them, is probably the best of all worlds because it assures smaller mods get a higher level of polish.

The one positive is it would probably mean team members stay around longer, but then it moves from a passion project to the drudgery of a job. But then consider the cost that every asset is new, over 2,500 NPCs are being voiced for the first time, all of the armors from the original game have to be remade and made to be modular, and this is still just the base game: unless I am mistaken, they haven't even started any serious production on any of the expansions. Not only is this a timesink, but can easily add up to being costly, especially considering the people involved don't live and work in the same area.