• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about getting PSVR on the Black Friday deal, what headsets do you guys use to listen to? What is required in that way? Does it need to be wired into the headset?

Also, do you feel like the move controllers make for a better experience or dosen't matter?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I've been thinking about getting PSVR on the Black Friday deal, what headsets do you guys use to listen to? What is required in that way? Does it need to be wired into the headset?

Also, do you feel like the move controllers make for a better experience or dosen't matter?
It needs to be wired, and it needs to fit on your head at the same time as the headset. 1st gen PSVR has the headphone jack on a little box on its cable, and 2nd gen has the jack on the back of the headset.

You get earbuds in the box, and 2nd gen has pretty neat cable management so they stay attached to the headset. I'm using Sennheiser Momentums with gen 1 so I have extra wire dangling around.

You can just use regular headphones for multiplayer because PSVR has its own mic.

Reckheim

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

are there any confirmed deals coming up for the psvr for black Friday? I definitely getting one for skyrim but don't know if I should wait or just get it today.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There is a mechanic where if you reach towards your belt you take out your weapon. It unfortunately can't be turned off but if you realize what it is doing you can avoid it.

It's not even that. It seems to be only my head. Just turn it left and I draw my weapon. Really annoying.

Besides that, this is great!

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to hold off on getting this but the chance of experiencing a fully realized RPG in VR is killing me. I have so much to play though and my backlog just keep growing. This year has been phenomenal for games.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Get both ;). That's what I'd probably do if I get a switch. As is I'll have to wait for vr cause I chose vive as my vr because I want to play fallout 4 and I have no faith in them being able to bring it to psvr. I mean I would love skyrim too but If I have to choose I'd do Fallout.

Add in the one time I demoed psvr was the one time I was disappointed in vr and it wasn't what I expected. It felt like having a helmet with tiny screens that were 3D next to my face. It didn't immerse me. Wasn't until I tried oculus did I get what I expected (a feeling of being in the world). Hell, even the mobile phone ones felt more immersive. I just wasn't feeling it with psvr. I actually never got a chance to try vive but I get the impression it is better than the oculus in many ways so I expect it will do fine (and I refuse to buy something Facebook owns. As well as oculus has some sketchy people associated with it).

When you tried PSVR, did you press the button under the front of the HMD and slide the front part closer to your eyes? Tons of people miss this, and it makes the headset seem awful, exactly how you described. If you don't bring it closer to your eyes, it seems like you are looking through two tiny holes into a 3D world.

I found the FOV and pixel density to be almost the exact same between Oculus and PSVR... but the PSVR is by far the most comfortable HMD to wear.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I'm trying to hold off on getting this but the chance of experiencing a fully realized RPG in VR is killing me. I have so much to play though and my backlog just keep growing. This year has been phenomenal for games.

Just get it man!! It's sooo freaking good! This is like the first fully realized world you can experience in VR. Skyrim in all its glory with you standing there just taking it all in. VR adds so much to the experience.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Note to anyone buying PSVR, unless you get the Skyrim US bundle, it's the first revision of PSVR without HDR pass-through.

The revised model is called CUH-ZVR2

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
When you tried PSVR, did you press the button under the front of the HMD and slide the front part closer to your eyes? Tons of people miss this, and it makes the headset seem awful, exactly how you described. If you don't bring it closer to your eyes, it seems like you are looking through two tiny holes into a 3D world.

I found the FOV and pixel density to be almost the exact same between Oculus and PSVR... but the PSVR is by far the most comfortable HMD to wear.

Probably not. I have no idea though... I just let the rep put it on me and I'm not sure if he adjusted anything (it's been since almost when PSVR came out that I tried it). But sounds like that might have been the case cause you describe exactly what it felt like.

The Vive seems comfortable to me (I have one now but no PC to use it yet but I've tried it on). Plus much less light leak (there's a small hole on my nose and from what I remember of the PSVR it just didn't even try to cover everything and there was a small line underneath but I do admit it was ignorable once I was playing the game).

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like not in NA so far, gonna keep refreshing to try and get on the deal before all the bundles are grabbed here.

Starting on Sunday, it's listed on every Black Friday ad

Note to anyone buying PSVR, unless you get the Skyrim US bundle, it's the first revision of PSVR without HDR pass-through.

The revised model is called CUH-ZVR2

Is there a way I can look at the box and tell the model?

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just did five hours straight in the game and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than the original. Sneaking with a bow is so satisfying and so much fun. You can see the creases from what it was originally designed for but you still get so many wow moments, with the moment to moment gameplay is really engaging that I don't really care that I can notice those things every now and again. I can't wait to see RPG's built with VR in mind in the future because Skyrim VR is already very engaging. I hope more developers take this route and give older and upcoming games the VR treatment in this way. (ground up for VR would be ideal but I'm happy with this sort of approach in the early days).

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. I have no idea though... I just let the rep put it on me and I'm not sure if he adjusted anything (it's been since almost when PSVR came out that I tried it). But sounds like that might have been the case cause you describe exactly what it felt like.

The Vive seems comfortable to me (I have one now but no PC to use it yet but I've tried it on). Plus much less light leak (there's a small hole on my nose and from what I remember of the PSVR it just didn't even try to cover everything and there was a small line underneath but I do admit it was ignorable once I was playing the game).

PSVR has very little light leak when it is worn correctly. If you don't pull the front part over your eyes, you are also going to get a ton of light leak under the eyes.

You definitely weren't wearing it right. I wonder how many other people think VR is garbage because the demo station attenants don't know how to put it on customers correctly.

OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind earbuds, I find those are the most comfortable way to use PSVR. Nothing to put on your head. I plug in my Apple Earpods.

It's the same with any VR experience. Having hands makes it more immersive but also means playing with your arms rather than a controller in your lap.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
If you don't mind earbuds, I find those are the most comfortable way to use PSVR. Nothing to put on your head. I plug in my Apple Earpods.

It's the same with any VR experience. Having hands makes it more immersive but also means playing with your arms rather than a controller in your lap.

I played RE7 with the DS4 and was completely immersed, like real memories were created of places immesred. However using the Move controllers in Star Trek and Batman is also PERFECT. It all depends on the game, Sony really missed out not putting joysticks on a new move controller.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
PSVR has very little light leak when it is worn correctly. If you don't pull the front part over your eyes, you are also going to get a ton of light leak under the eyes.

You definitely weren't wearing it right. I wonder how many other people think VR is garbage because the demo station attenants don't know how to put it on customers correctly.

Hrm... see I expected the light leak cause on reviews they said it had some so I didn't even think anything of it being off (and it seemed to get ignorable once the game started).

But yeah, that demo person definitely gave me an impression of it being far inferior. If I wasn't so curious about VR and Microsoft was giving free trials on the occulus (and I happend to be walking by when they did) I would have been disappointed with VR and decided it wasn't what I thought it was as PSVR was my first experience. The MS rep definitely spent more time getting things set right on me and making sure things were comfortable (and I have to say after trying all three on, Occulus wasn't horrible for having glasses but people are right, it is the most awkward to put on with glasses).

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just completed Bleak Falls Barrow. It's hard to not use the bow & arrow all the time as it's a lot of fun & I'm getting pretty proficient at it. Placing four arrows in a tight concentration rapidly on an enemies torso before they even reach you... very pleasing.
Whenever there's environmental effects like snow crystals, water falls, light beams & dust is when the graphics shine best.

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk: how awkward is a bow and arrow with the Moves? None of the videos I've seen make it look particularly good, so I was hoping that the DS4 and head aiming would solve this.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
How are the loading times in and out of buildings? I am stuck at work and this is all I can think about.

I also have this on repeat.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk: how awkward is a bow and arrow with the Moves? None of the videos I've seen make it look particularly good, so I was hoping that the DS4 and head aiming would solve this.

I went it expecting me to play sword/shield for the immersion, Iv'e used nothing but bow so far as it's that satisfying to use. It's not perfect but well worth using. Gonna upgrade all bow upgrades first so I can just pick them off.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
So how are shouts performed in-game?

And a friend of mine told me that Skyrim VR includes a separate Special Edition Skyrim Disc AND a Disc For Skyrim VR?

And I've already played way too much of OG Skyrim as a bow shooting, weapon wielding barbarian. The urge to be another weapon wielder doesn't appeal to me. Is anyone going through the VR version as a magic user and still having fun or do I really need to go through this game with a sword and board again to get a more interesting VR experience?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really glad to here this is good. Gives me a lot of hope for FO4. Hopefully these games will be a big boon for VR.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Won't light leak also be less of an issue when you're at home not standing around under a ton of florescent lights at a store?

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I *love* shooting arrows with Move controls. Best thing is when you lean around a corner and your character remains technically behind cover, but you lean around to snipe the enemy. I also had one or two moments when enemies rushed me and I had no problems unleashing my inner Legolas and rapid fire them with arrows doing the gestures.

I really can't understand how those streamers were so incompetent to pull this off right. Have they never shot a bow before?

How are the loading times in and out of buildings? I am stuck at work and this is all I can think about.
Loading times are improved compared to the Special Edition. Well, less texture data to load, lol.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Loading times going in and out of buildings is incredibly fast. Like 4 seconds fast.

If you load up the game then load a savegame in a building then exit, there is a fairly long load time the first time you go into the outdoors. But after the initial load, it is extremely fast.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many other people think VR is garbage because the demo station attenants don't know how to put it on customers correctly.

From what I have seen anecdotally, a lot. Not just PSVR but all VR.

I have used PSVR for hundreds of hours, Vive for tens of hours and the consumer release Rift for about 20mins and have a really good understanding of the content and the experiences on the different platforms and what they all do well and what they don't do so well. Every time I have seen them demoed – except the RIft which had Robo Recall – they have been using shovelware and charging people to use it. I tried one last weekend and the game was awful it must have been their own creation to make some money from demoing the Vive it wasn't even remotely close to how good the Vive is. When I read/hear people say anything against any one of the headsets I'm very suspicious of their bais because despite the fidelity and FOV of the tracking the difference between PSVR, Rift and Vive is marginal at best.

The number of times I have had people say VR is rubbish and say they have used VR when I query their reasons, then get them to use my PSVR at a later date and their reactions are totally against everything they said prior, it doesn't make a bit of sense. Even in the larger gaming press, you read an article on VR and its like they haven't used the hardware before but looking at the writer's history they have written multiple articles about VR usually negative, misinformed and factually incorrect. It's almost like the editors are asking their writers to approach articles from specific angles.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just completed Bleak Falls Barrow. It's hard to not use the bow & arrow all the time as it's a lot of fun & I'm getting pretty proficient at it. Placing four arrows in a tight concentration rapidly on an enemies torso before they even reach you... very pleasing.
Whenever there's environmental effects like snow crystals, water falls, light beams & dust is when the graphics shine best.

Its great walking through whiterun with all the smoke from the fires bellowing over your head. This is some seriously good shit., and this is a game that I thought I had played to death.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Its great walking through whiterun with all the smoke from the fires bellowing over your head. This is some seriously good shit., and this is a game that I thought I had played to death.

The smallest most insignificant throw away particle effect/flourish that you wouldn't even bat an eye at in the normal non-VR Skyrim looks mind-blowing in VR. There are so many of these moments while playing it's almost overwhelming.

I was walking through a blizzard last night and it was crazy. Snow whipping everywhere, clouds of snow and ice blowing off the top of snow banks.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
I never played Skyrim since it's not really my kind of game but all these positive impressions make me really really want to buy this version. Argh, this is so hard to resist.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
After you get used to movement and circle-straffing with a DS4, head-tracked aiming using a bow and arrow is effortlessly accurate. You can play it like a run-and-gun FPS or a stealthy sniper with a great headset-tracked reticule. None of that jank you get with analogue stick aiming.

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you play with the DS4 or Move controllers?

Oct 25, 2017
After you get used to movement and circle-straffing with a DS4, head-tracked aiming using a bow and arrow is effortlessly accurate. You can play it like a run-and-gun FPS or a stealthy sniper with a great headset-tracked reticule. None of that jank you get with analogue stick aiming.

I *love* shooting arrows with Move controls. Best thing is when you lean around a corner and your character remains technically behind cover, but you lean around to snipe the enemy. I also had one or two moments when enemies rushed me and I had no problems unleashing my inner Legolas and rapid fire them with arrows doing the gestures.

Sounds like both are viable options, which is perfect. I was always going to give the Move controls a shot, but given my setup, they're not usually the best option so it's nice to know that the DS4 is always there. Head aiming was one of my favorite bits with RE7, mostly because I've always been crap at aiming with sticks. My last Skyrim character way back in the day was meant to be a stealth archer, but I got so fed up with how poorly I was aiming that I stopped playing.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If anyone's interested, I did a video on the controls here:

There's also some gameplay here if you're interested: