• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Its a money grab is why. Why fuck over your customers who bought the "Gen 2" airpods and release new ones not even a year later.
It's their product schedule. The problem isn't when these new ones are releasing, it was the fact that they delayed the 1.5s in order to release alongside the now canceled charge pad. They fucked that all up, but they're not going to compound that mistake by delaying other plans just to mollify angry consumers. Let's face it, if you paid 150 already for EarPods, you're most likely not leaving the ecosystem.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should have waited to release what will be the 3rd generation as the 2nd generation product.
It's fine to have wanted that, but it's clear that the "Gen3" pods just weren't ready for launch where Gen2 was released. Waiting until they were ready would have only meant that we wouldn't have gotten another Airpod release until late this year, making it a three year gap between Gen1 and this hypothetical "Gen2". For many, that is simply too long between upgrades, especially for the market that hadn't owned them at all (me). I don't see anything wrong with a hardware refresh in that time.

I don't see the Apple Watch 4 and think, "I wish they released that as the Gen2 watch instead of what we actually got!". It makes no sense. Tech is iterative, and massive leaps of that nature are impossible in a yearly window. Yearly refreshes are expected, and it confuses me that this instance of a common practice is what gets people in an uproar.

Oct 27, 2017
Something about AirPods brings out the worst, most pathetic people on this site. Is it resentment? I doubt it's jealousy. But goddamn at some of the awful takes here.

"bad sound quality! I expect perfect sound for a $150 pair of wireless airbuds!"
There's nothing more pathetic than someone defending paying 150 dollars for a shitty sounding pair of earbuds. "Sure, they sound bad, but OHHHHHH the convenience!" No one should expect "perfect sound" (no idea what that would even be) for that price, but it should be competent.

Oct 25, 2017
Its a money grab is why. Why fuck over your customers who bought the "Gen 2" airpods and release new ones not even a year later.
Not only will Gen 3 be pricier, but people who were happy enough to buy Gen 2 clearly thought the upgrades were worth the money. Unless Gen 2 pods disappear in a puff of smoke when gen 3 launches, no one who bought Gen2 will have been "fucked over". They will still have all the same features and upgrades that made the purchase worth it to them in the first place.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
There's nothing more pathetic than someone defending paying 150 dollars for a shitty sounding pair of earbuds. "Sure, they sound bad, but OHHHHHH the convenience!" No one should expect "perfect sound" (no idea what that would even be) for that price, but it should be competent.

Thanks for outing yourself as one of the people I was talking about.

And it is competent. And convenient. And a good product.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
uhh can we get silicone tips that fit in the fuckin case

god these things suck

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
My money is on its total bollocks.

We always get shit like this and it never materializes.

Edit* Yep another forecast :rollseyes

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I was about to skip that 2nd gen. NO way I pay for the exact same features as the 1st gen for airpods. IF true, it's a slap to the Apple fans who thought that the 2nd gen was going to last at least a year.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Love my Gen 1 AirPods and if they increase the sound quality and make them look better (make them black ffs!) i'll totally buy a new pair.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
So Apple is at fault because you're a consumer who doesn't do research and bought something he didn't need immediately?

There have been rumors of another version beyond this slight upgrade with the 2nd gen for a while. Different materials, colors and noise-canceling.
Fuck off with that attitude you arrogant dickhead, if i did more research than i already do on tech and Apple in particular it would mean i worked at the damn place.
Maybe you are a consumer that doesn't research enough to know that while Ming Chi Kuo is reliable he isn't 100% right all the time even less in tricky situations like the one where airpods have been released.
And yes, Apple is at fault because aside the objective bad manner of selling a new gen version less than a year later and in the same calendar year of when you last updated them without informing the userbase, pulling an iPad3->iPad4 when you are not exactly on the crest of the wave media wise is not only dumb but also kind of unexpected from them.
So yeah, despite me being pretty forgiving in this case and despite your condescending ass, customers have all the reasons to be angry to Apple if they bought the Airpods 2

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
The article sounds like these will release early 2020. So basically a year after the 1.5s.

Don't see the big deal or a compelling reason to wait if you want bluetooth buds right now.

OP with thE CLICK BAIT
"will likely go into mass production between the fourth quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020"

That would put them on the shelf around this time next year. Releasing a new model one year later is "tricking" customers or something??

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with that attitude you arrogant dickhead, if i did more research than i already do on tech and Apple in particular it would mean i worked at the damn place.
Maybe you are a consumer that doesn't research enough to know that while Ming Chi Kuo is reliable he isn't 100% right all the time even less in tricky situations like the one where airpods have been released.
And yes, Apple is at fault because aside the objective bad manner of selling a new gen version less than a year later and in the same calendar year of when you last updated them without informing the userbase, pulling an iPad3->iPad4 when you are not exactly on the crest of the wave media wise is not only dumb but also kind of unexpected from them.
So yeah, despite me being pretty forgiving in this case and despite your condescending ass, customers have all the reasons to be angry to Apple if they bought the Airpods 2

I did plenty research when I chose my newest wireless earbuds, my gen 1 AirPods don't hold a great charge and while I could have waited for this Pro version that's been rumored for a while, I went with something else.

Name calling isn't going to change the fact that you made the choice to get the 2nd gen when it was barely an upgrade over the 1st gen. If they come out with a Pro model that isn't even priced in the same tier, you getting all pressed about it has nothing to do with Apple. You yourself said you could have waited 6 months, would you pay an extra $140 for those premium features?

Anyway dude, whatever. Not sure why people get so ignorant when it comes to AirPod discussion.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm easily waiting, zero interest in the v1.25 model they just put out

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
My wife and I was about to skip that 2nd gen. NO way I pay for the exact same features as the 1st gen for airpods. IF true, it's a slap to the Apple fans who thought that the 2nd gen was going to last at least a year.
What do you mean last a year? My MacBook Pro has been overhauled 3 times since I got it and still lasts. What kind of weird mental gymnastics is this to get mad at a new product?

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm easily waiting, zero interest in the v1.25 model they just put out

The new AirPods are entry level earbuds. This rumored version is going to be premium. I would love for them to give the big boys a run for their money in the $300 price range.

Leather wireless charging case, sports model with sweat and water proof, usb-c, noise canceling, Bluetooth 5.0, matte colors.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Taking a playbook from the IPad 3 to 4, releasing just 6 months later.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it would be this year unless they release it as a "pro product" with a higher price tag.

I can't remember Apple releasing a refresh within a year before.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I did plenty research when I chose my newest wireless earbuds, my gen 1 AirPods don't hold a great charge and while I could have waited for this Pro version that's been rumored for a while, I went with something else.

Name calling isn't going to change the fact that you made the choice to get the 2nd gen when it was barely an upgrade over the 1st gen. If they come out with a Pro model that isn't even priced in the same tier, you getting all pressed about it has nothing to do with Apple. You yourself said you could have waited 6 months, would you pay an extra $140 for those premium features?

Anyway dude, whatever. Not sure why people get so ignorant when it comes to AirPod discussion.
First, I don't know why you think i care about the research you have done to buy a pair of earphones or why it fits the discussion at hand.
Second, you were the first calling me names making assumptions on how i was uninformed while sincerely you don't know jack shit about me and trying to spin it as if it was somehow my fault for buying a product just released.
Third, next time you want to make a snarky response based on thin air be ready to engage in the discussion instead of trying to cop out as soon as people call you out on your mistakes like you are doing right now.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't excuse it, but I'm gonna guess that this is due to them delaying the airpod 2s for the charge mat, and when they finally killed the mat they got their stock of 2s the door when they already had 3 in design/production. And apparently Apple is telling journos not to call the current ones 2.

That makes sense. I planned on getting the new Powerbeats once I saw the series 2 refresh but if this is true I might wait to see what changes they bring with this cycle. I'm not 100% in on the suction type fit of the Powerbeats but the battery, volume controls on the buds and secure fit make them tempting. Hopefully newest AirPods have all those features but have the same non suction inner ear fit.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I bought second generation AirPods and I love them. If this happens it doesn't screw me at all.

Nonsense takes as usual in an Apple thread.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I didn't buy gen 2s because after a lot of research I came to the conclusion they don't really offer enough incentives to upgrade because my only real gripe (audio quality) hasn't really been improved upon and my gen1s were still fairly new.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First, I don't know why you think i care about the research you have done to buy a pair of earphones or why it fits the discussion at hand.
Second, you were the first calling me names making assumptions on how i was uninformed while sincerely you don't know jack shit about me and trying to spin it as if it was somehow my fault for buying a product just released.
Third, next time you want to make a snarky response based on thin air be ready to engage in the discussion instead of trying to cop out as soon as people call you out on your mistakes like you are doing right now.

I was responding to you about my research when you questioned it. and you clearly have an issue being called out in a thread. You immediately jumped to calling me a dick head and a condescending ass, I'm not the one with the issue here. I'm done with you dude, ignored because you can't take the heat in a discussion without going middle school on me.

Bye sis.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I was responding to you about my research when you questioned it. and you clearly have an issue being called out in a thread. You immediately jumped to calling me a dick head and a condescending ass, I'm not the one with the issue here. I'm done with you dude, ignored because you can't take the heat in a discussion without going middle school on me.

Bye sis.
This is incredible, You are trying to spin the thing exactly the other way around.
Your first response to my first post that was aimed at no one was calling me names saying that I'm someone that doesn't do research while that is explicitly not true and when i drop to your level of conversation you accuse me of something that you started.
You accuse me of not being able to take the heat when you are the first to bail out of the discussion and going as far as ignoring me.
You accuse me of having an issue being called out when all i did was get on your level of discussion and showing you how your totally uncalled for response to me was totally wrong.
You had two good options when starting this conversation, you could have started without being so antagonizing towards me and have had a civil and tranquil conversation or could have debuted like you did and continued on the same abrasive vein, you instead chose the bait and switch.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AirPods in their price class are above everything else, they're hardly half-assed and hardly overpriced for what they offer compared to the competition in the same tier.

blows me away when people make this cavalier claim. like, no, they're not. by a lot.

i'm a huge Apple dork but even I went with Jaybirds because, surprise, they're better. and cheaper. there's lots of competiton in this space and near as I can tell the only really differentiating thing about AirPods is the fancy pairing animation on iPhones. woo.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
blows me away when people make this cavalier claim. like, no, they're not. by a lot.

i'm a huge Apple dork but even I went with Jaybirds because, surprise, they're better. and cheaper.

Which Jaybirds are you talking about? The wireless ones with a wire connecting the two earbuds? So maybe the X2 or X3?

Those aren't true wireless earbuds. They're a completely different product. JayBirds true wireless earbuds have a lot of problems and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The biggest one with the Run or Run XT's being sound glitches and interference. That's an unacceptable issue in a true wireless earbud.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which Jaybirds are you talking about? The wireless ones with a wire connecting the two earbuds? So maybe the X2 or X3?

Those aren't true wireless earbuds. They're a completely different product. JayBirds true wireless earbuds have a lot of problems and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The biggest one with the Run or Run XT's being sound glitches and interference. That's an unacceptable issue in a true wireless earbud.

They're not completely different at all. They are a different style of wireless buds (and a superior design IMO. No need for 2 batteries/ radios in your skull, better battery life and so forth). That's like saying in ear and open bud designs are *completely different products*.

Oct 27, 2017

i'm a huge Apple dork but even I went with Jaybirds because, surprise, they're better. and cheaper. there's lots of competiton in this space and near as I can tell the only really differentiating thing about AirPods is the fancy pairing animation on iPhones. woo.
Even some of the chinese knockoffs are finding a way to use that animation.