• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
Simon & Schuster said on Thursday that it would cancel the publication of an upcoming book by Senator Josh Hawley, one of several members of Congress who tried to overturn the results of the presidential election.

Mr. Hawley, a Missouri Republican and Trump ally, has been criticized for challenging the results and accused of helping incite the mob that stormed the Capitol on Wednesday. His book, "The Tyranny of Big Tech," was scheduled to be published in June.

"We did not come to this decision lightly," Simon & Schuster said in a statement. "As a publisher it will always be our mission to amplify a variety of voices and viewpoints: At the same time we take seriously our larger public responsibility as citizens, and cannot support Senator Hawley after his role in what became a dangerous threat."

The senator's office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

www.nytimes.com

Simon & Schuster Cancels Plans for Senator Hawley’s Book

The publisher faced calls to drop the Missouri Republican’s upcoming book, “The Tyranny of Big Tech,” following criticism of his efforts to overturn the presidential election.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP's talent in finding assholes like him to run for office is mind boggling at times.

Isn't he the guy who wants a 99-year prison sentence for abortions?

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
I assume S&S researched all legal recourse before and determined there isn't any after making this decision? Going to love seeing him try and fight this, clown.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
No, it wasn't the free market of ideas that got me cancelled, it was a WOKE MOB

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"5 people are dead because of me but I'm going to throw a tantrum because of a shitty book deal"

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Oh, get fucked Hawley. Once again these republican shits have zero idea what the first amendment actually covers.
Who has time to actually sit down and read the First Amendment? It's one whole sentence, some people have busy lives

(they know damn well what the First Amendment says, but they know their supporters sure as fuck don't)

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Representing his constituents? Right, the Missouri Senator representing his constituents in Arizona and Pennsylvania. Fuck off.

Nov 18, 2020
I assume S&S researched all legal recourse before and determined there isn't any after making this decision? Going to love seeing him try and fight this, clown.

S&S has determined that the cost of a lawsuit for violating a contract would be less than the cost of the bad PR they would suffer by publishing this book. It's all about opportunity costs with big megacorps. I say this as someone who has worked at multiple.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way he doesn't know that what he said is bullshit and he's misrepresenting the 1st amendment. I hate that so much of our politics is just depending on people to be misinformed and uneducated and tricking/lying to them.
He's a completely craven and cynical liar. A typical ladder politician whose only goal is to be president (just to be it, not to do anything as president). He'll do and say anything.

Oct 30, 2017
Josh Hawley would only be satisfied unless Congress and Mike Pence personally handed Donald Trump a second term. Make no mistake.

There's no concern about election integrity. They are just bad losers.
And when you have a President openly encouraging their supporters to pull shit like storming the Capitol, your "concerns" are not concerns. You're giving ammo to seditionists to act bolder.

Fuck you, Hawley.