• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you just going to sit there eating pizza?

• Yes

Votes: 551 92.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 7.2%

• Total voters

Choco Momonga

May 24, 2018
I never played a Silent Hill Game though i was always super interested in the Series, my only real experience with it so far is listening to the music, but today i started my Playthrough of Silent Hill 1. (I already started once but only played up until you meet Cybil and then stopped) i've wrote down my thoughts so far in the Playstation OT but also wanted to share it here.

I have to add that i got a bit baited by the amounts ammunition you get. I had so many bullets and was like, lol this is so easy. But Harry doesn't really auto aim and you can miss quite a lot of shots with him unless i missed an auto lock or something. I quite like that because it makes you feel like you are just a civilian and not a STARS Member.
The Game is still pretty easy so far even though i missed quite a bit here and there, because it is also quite generous with healing items.
I love reading your thoughts on the game from someone who is fresh to it, really nice to see!

Oct 27, 2017
I think I read that in Silent Hill 3 you didn't have the option to switch to the original voice acting, either. Is this correct?

This is correct. SH2 had the option for old or new voice cast, SH3 only had the new cast.

The HD collection on PS3 is passable if you have no other option (and the PS3 got a patch that fixed some problems that never got patched on 360), but you'd be best off with the PC version or emulating the PS2 version.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I think I read that in Silent Hill 3 you didn't have the option to switch to the original voice acting, either. Is this correct?

Yes no old voices, only new voices and new script. It's a much inferior experience. I strongly urge you to play the original on PS2 or PC. Let me know if you need help.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Is the version of SH3 on the PS3 HD collection bad as well or is it just 2? Need to know if I should buy a PS2 copy or not.

thanks!
SH3 HD is worse than 2. I don't care what visual glitches or unfinished textures SH2 has. SH3 has BLUE fog when you get to the town.

maxresdefault.jpg

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
yes it's also super bad. It has a ton of technical issues too. And the new voices are worse than the original and they also changed the script. Stay away.
I've had SH3 HD freeze my console almost every time I played it. It was never the same spot, either.
SH3 HD is worse than 2. I don't care what visual glitches or unfinished textures SH2 has. SH3 has BLUE fog when you get to the town.

maxresdefault.jpg
Wow okay, thanks.

I'll keep an eye out for a copy of 3.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Hey howdy SH Era.

Materia Collective (VGM music label) have a SIlent Hill tribute album launching on the 27th of October. Previews and preorders are live on Bandcamp just now. I helped out a bit + have a track on it, but figured it'd be of interest to folk in here :).

OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Have any of you played through Darkwood?

If not, I highly recommend it. Especially this time of year.

As much as I hope (and believe!) that going forward Silent Hill is in good hands with Japan Studio, should Konami ever outsource to a smaller dev again I think the creative team behind Darkwood could craft an incredible and fucked up SH game.
The game has really disturbing and unique art direction, especially for being a top-down horror/survival game.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As much as I hope (and believe!) that going forward Silent Hill is in good hands with Japan Studio, should Konami ever outsource to a smaller dev again I think the creative team behind Darkwood could craft an incredible and fucked up SH game.
The game has really disturbing and unique art direction, especially for being a top-down horror/survival game.

I'm interested in it for sure. Does it have a good or interesting story? It seems kinda action oriented even though it looks pretty creepy. Also, isn't there an element of randomization?

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I would love to see the artists behind Kult and Kult: Divinity Lost involved in a Silent Hill game.

bastien-lecouffe-deharme-kult-cover-soft-web.jpg

illusion_cover_back.jpg

previewfolder.jpg

Clive Barker (Hellraiser, Books of Blood) would also be a great choice for scenario writer and creature designer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJollyCorner

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm interested in it for sure. Does it have a good or interesting story? It seems kinda action oriented even though it looks pretty creepy. Also, isn't there an element of randomization?

The story is pretty bizarre (which I like), but the game really excels in mood, art direction, and sound design. With my playthrough the majority of the action came from melee weapons and traps, but as it gets further along pistols and rifles (limited ammo) are a huge help.
Can't speak to the randomization, as I've only played through it once so far.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017

I've had it downloaded for like a year on my PS4. I played it for about 30 mins but stopped. Really should get back to it soon, but I haven't been in the mood for a hard game in a while.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So apparently you can't play Silent Hill 2 on a PS2 with a PS1 controller. I guess the game requires a DualShock 2. Sucks for me as all 3 of my DualShock 2's are faulty.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
So i finished Silent Hill recently and it might be my Goty out of all the Games i played this year this seriously left an impact on me.
It's defo scarier than almost every single Horror Game i've played and the way everything comes together in this Game is super well done. Game isn't without faults, i don't really like the 2nd and 3rd Bossfight because i feel like they are almost part of another Game and don't mesh well with the other Creatures you fight and the Sewer is pretty boring it also has those weird Lizard Enemies that also didn't feel fitting, but other than that. Incredible.

The Amusement Park and Nowehere were a great send off.

The Game also made me kinda think about Video Games and how they are discussed. I feel like we live especially with Social Media and the Internet in general in a time in which because it is so easy to get information that we've kinda lost focus on what might be actually important in an artistic work to look for and discuss.
I've played this Game practically blind without knowing much besides that there is some cult involved and SH practically is a Game that works best if you are open for an experience that doesn't want to satisfy you by explaining every intricate Detail of what you just experienced or what happened, yet in modern Media Discussion people tend to look at Stories like big puzzles and when it's hard or in some instances even impossible to piece every single thing together it's considered a flaw.

Silent Hill is a Game that released when discussions on the Internet weren't a thing really, the Game presents to you it's themes in an abstract way, some of it pretty clearly other things are a bit more hidden, while some things aren't explained at all, but nowadays the last thing is somewhat considered a weakness when in reality seeking for every little possible detail and answer in an psychological horror Game that heavily relies on surrealism is the wrong way to look at it entirely.

Like just looking at Youtube you have tons of Analysis Videos that sometimes are longer than 4 Hours explaining you every intricate Detail when that kinda goes against the sole purpose of the Game i feel like. I don't mean that we shouldn't look for deeper meaning and subtext of course in Games or Media in genera,l but i feel like this need to explain everything or get an answer for everything leads to people focus more on the surface ideas and concepts losing sight of whats really important and not properly look at the presented subtext that is there.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to say that last night I beat Silent Hill 2 for the first time and I absolutely freaking loved it. Please tell me Silent Hill 3 is amazing. I need Silent Hill 3 to be amazing.
Silent Hill 2 is melancholy, bizarre, enticing, and strange. Silent Hill 3 is unadulterated macabre cranked to eleven on a rusty metal holding cell wrapped in bloody fetus wire.

I love Silent Hill 2 for what it is and what it says, but Silent Hill 3 legitimately gave me nightmares involving skin and blood and teeth. I think it's much more terrifying due to its sound design and intent, whereas Silent Hill 2 is all about the journey. Both are 10s for different reasons, but I honestly think 3 might edge it out.

4943EA2C87DE1E02342658A6F31AE06A3DE419A0

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
I just wanted to say that last night I beat Silent Hill 2 for the first time and I absolutely freaking loved it. Please tell me Silent Hill 3 is amazing. I need Silent Hill 3 to be amazing.

This is awesome; seeing people play though SH2 foe the first time is like a warm hug (that leaves you covered in blood)!

I played through Silent Hill 2 (Greatest Hits edition on PS2) on my Twitch channel, including the Born From A Wish scenario. Some viewers hadn't played much of SH2, and seeing their speculations and reactions throughout was really rewardigame.

A viewer is loaning me a copy of SH3 to play next; it's been a long time since I've played it!

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thanks for the answers, guys! In that case, I'll begin SH3 tonight!

I played the original SH back in the day. Loved it, beat it twice. Then, for a variety of reasons (mainly because I started buying Nintendo consoles), me and SH went separate ways, but I always wanted to give SH2 a try.

A few months ago, I bought a Playstation 2. I'm going over the PS2 catalogue and it's been super fun (never played any of those games). Then, following a friend's advice, I bought the SH2 OST on Google Play and it's so good I just had to play the game. Got it, beat it and wow, what a ride. Went in blind, no guides, got the
In Water
ending. Then I read about the other endings and they're all very interesting, but I think the one I got might be my favorite.

I'm glad SH3 has a different approach. You know, when you beat a great game you want more of that, but at the same time having more of that ends up being disappointing. afternoon delight , your comments and the gif you posted got me excited, I'm all for pure, unadulterated horror. Can't wait to play it!

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
It is, but in a different way. SH3 goes back to the more visceral horror of SH1.

To be honest, Silent Hill (1999) has always seemed more psychological like the second game to me. I think people remember it being visceral because of the atmosphere (with the red rust) and connection to the third game. Like Silent Hill 2, it was pretty restrained. The third game was the first one to go all out, in my opinion.

Last edited:

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka Bring Nightmares to Life in a Brand-New World of Tanks Halloween Event: Mirny-13

Players will together battle monstrous tanks and play by special rules while uncovering the lore of "Mirny-13"

October 26, 2020 — Between October 26 and November 9, World of Tanks is excited to invite tankers to the biggest Halloween event in its 10-year history! Collaborating with Masahiro Ito, the Art Director and Monster Designer behind the Silent Hill universe and Akira Yamaoka the star Composer behind the same nightmarish series – this event will expose players to the sinister story of a scientific experiment gone wrong.

In an all new PVE coop event, players must join together to save the world and uncover the lore behind the town of Mirny-13, using teamwork and tactical cooperation to overcome the armoured manifestations of a mysterious power!

"Inspired by the imaginations of both Ito-san and Yamaoka-san – we've let our team run wild for spooky season, with a custom event map and a unique coop mechanics; this PVE event will be unlike any other" says Max Chuvalov, World of Tanks Global Publishing Director. "But beware, those who go it alone will do so at their own peril. Teamwork is key this Halloween, and it is the only way to vanquish your frightful foes."

Players will be taken through four changing worlds in Platoons of five, riding in specifically modified Tier IX tanks for this event, unlocking the story of Mirny-13 as they go.

"Working on this year's Halloween event for World of Tanks was a very interesting and rewarding experience," says Masahiro Ito. "The combination of the passionate artists at Wargaming and our shared vision for a unique and frightening event made this all possible. My previous works are known for their unsettling atmospheres, chilling narratives and nightmarish beasts, so hopefully World of Tanks players are ready to experience all of these this Halloween!"

Throughout the event, tankers will be able to access unique event content, carrying special Crew members, 3D styles and camos, and also heaps of XP and Credits over to the main game. They will even be able to get their hands on 3D skins designed by Masahiro Ito himself, whilst enjoying a haunting ambient track for the event hangar created by Akira Yamaoka!

www.youtube.com

Halloween 2020: Mechanics

On October 26, a game event dedicated to Halloween, code-named Mirny-13, starts in World of Tanks. The events unfold in a secret town. You have five special ...

Oh look, more work coming out of Team Silent that is in no way related to Silent Hill. This is fine.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
had a dream last night at midnight on halloween Sony dropped a video, announced they have rights to the IP, announced a new SH by Team Silent and then other is Silent Hills with the announcement of PT demo day one on ps5 impoved graphics and extra stuff to do.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
This is either the mother of all build-ups or just a crushing disappointment of misinformation that will slowly come to us next year.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best way is definitely PC for SH2 and SH3 with fan patches! I think you'll find it's actually much easier to obtain PC copies than you might imagine.
I have this set up myself. SH2 patches are pretty great. There's some for SH3 which definitely make it the definitive version, but nothing on the level of 2 that I'm aware of.

What patches do you recommend? I'm just using Silent Hill 3 PC Fix which includes:
- All the fixes and features from Widescreen fix by ThirteenAG.
- Adds Manual FOV control, borderless mode, window positioning, ability to force Vsync and MSAA.

Is there other ones that are really good that I'm missing?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I have this set up myself. SH2 patches are pretty great. There's some for SH3 which definitely make it the definitive version, but nothing on the level of 2 that I'm aware of.

What patches do you recommend? I'm just using Silent Hill 3 PC Fix which includes:
- All the fixes and features from Widescreen fix by ThirteenAG.
- Adds Manual FOV control, borderless mode, window positioning, ability to force Vsync and MSAA.

Is there other ones that are really good that I'm missing?

The one you have is Steam006's, correct? If so, you should be good.

Remember to use all the features that the fix has - enabling SH2 easter eggs, for example.

Features:
Allow custom window resolutions
Allow custom rendering resolutions
Window mode
Borderless mode
Window positioning
Fullscreen fix for DirectX 8 on Windows 10
Up to 8x multisampling
Force VSync in fullscreen mode
Use the correct FOV and enable manual control (page up and page down)
Use the correct FOV in cutscenes
Disable the game's safe mode
Fix the options menu
Display fullscreen pause menu
Depth of Field Resolution fix
Shadow Resolution fix
Inventory Background Resolution fix
Status Screen Resolution fix
Disable borders in cutscenes
Modify the fog effect
Different framerate modes
Unlock Silent Hill 2 Easter eggs
Wallhack (F1)
Disable DirectX Fog (F2)
Gamma control (F6, F7 and F8)

Seriously some really amazing fixes by fans!

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one you have is Steam006's, correct? If so, you should be good.

Remember to use all the features that the fix has - enabling SH2 easter eggs, for example.

Seriously some really amazing fixes by fans!
Yeah, this is the one I'm using. I've tweaked it pretty extensively. It runs perfectly, and the picture quality is pristine (without the noise).

Only some minor issues with controller support (L2 and R2 are what L1 and R1 are on PS2 by default, and for whatever reason the in game control options don't recognize when you press them to reassign them--this is actually the case in SH2 as well with both Xbone controller and Dualshock 4) and the noise effect could use upgrading--I've just disabled it.

Thanks for the help.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Out of curiosity, how long does it take to beat Silent Hill 2 and 3? I just got the collection yesterday and I'd really like to beat them both by Halloween.

I'm the Hospital in 2 right now. I hear 3 is even shorter than 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, how long does it take to beat Silent Hill 2 and 3? I just got the collection yesterday and I'd really like to beat them both by Halloween.

I'm the Hospital in 2 right now. I hear 3 is even shorter than 2.

Depends on your playstyle. Speedrunners can clock them in no time at all. I think SH2 is around 8-10 hours depending on how much you put into it. 3 is like 5 or 6.

Oct 27, 2017
I've mentioned that I was replaying the first Silent Hill a few times in the thread, and now I have a piece out about revisiting it!

This time, more than when I played it a long time ago, I was really taken with how well the game sets up expectations of space and then subverts them or rips them away. It doesn't overdo it, either, and some of the ways that the game has Harry slip in between spaces can be pretty subtle. Or not, depending on if the air raid siren sounds and a short scene plays out.

Some excerpts and images:

There are villains in Silent Hill, but there is no villain. There are monsters in Silent Hill, shuffling, swooping, tackling, stinging, stabbing, swallowing. There is thick fog and snow falling out of season, alternating with a deep darkness that surrounds rusting industrial grates and fences. All of this is Silent Hill. It seems knowable and recognizable in the fog, though the calm of the town is often interrupted by a whining radio that heralds the approach of pterodactyl-like avian horrors and skinless dogs. But there is more than one Silent Hill, and the Otherworld glides uncomfortably through the already distressingly wrong Fog World. These worlds together make up the Silent Hill that players experience, and the uncanny transitions between them supply more terror than any of the town's cultists or monsters.

The last area of Silent Hill is the culmination of its slippages between worlds. After once again blacking out, Harry appears to wake up back in the hospital. Players can again find the stairs that lead to the basement, but the door at the bottom of those stairs doesn't bring players to that floor of the hospital. Instead, walking through that door moves Harry to one of the school's classrooms, a single desk placed in its middle. There's no map, but if the player tries to bring it up, it reads the place as "Nowhere."

Nowhere is a collection of previous spaces and places. There's the aforementioned classroom, the jewelry shop from the town center, the antique shop, the morgue and kitchen from the hospital. Each of these can be found behind a door in hallways resembling the Otherworld version of the hospital. The topology is warped: as players unlock doors in Nowhere, they may find that some move Harry between floors, just like the ones they encountered previously in the school. Having descended so far into the nightmare, it's as though it contracts. Silent Hill has no more time to pretend to be a town, no more space to build its illusions. The sequence of doors to unlock and esoteric symbols to collect require Harry to take on a spider's movements, darting between doors and floors, spinning overlapping threads in and out of the significant locations of his journey.

Sure, there's also a cult that blends demonic sigils and symbols of Western religions, attempting to birth Samael and with him, the dead. The revealed plot is the story of a spiritually powerful dreamer named Alessa Gillespie, who split half of her soul into the being that is embodied by Cheryl Mason. Canonically, the Fog World and Otherworld spring from Alessa's tortured mind as she attempts to prevent the cult from carrying out their plot. But it's not as though Alessa is wholly in control - instead, the world that springs from her mind is filled with her traumas and phobias. Alessa's past, Silent Hill's present, the cultists who ritually and medically bound her, and the doctor and nurse who kept her body alive: these are all combined, mixed up, and thrown together. It's not so much Alessa-the-person who moves the players around, but the place of Silent Hill itself. It throws up barriers, twisting metal, dropping roads into sinkholes, splashing blood and barbed wire where it will. Monsters can be dealt with through traditional videogame means of bullets and key items. But what can you do when the ineffable twists the bones and guts of a town? Even in the best possible ending, all you can hope for is escape.

Behanjin

Jan 17, 2018
Ireland
Yes no old voices, only new voices and new script. It's a much inferior experience. I strongly urge you to play the original on PS2 or PC. Let me know if you need help.

As someone who missed 3 when it originally came out and only played it as part of the HD collection, I'm curious. What was changed in the script? Is there another thread or page that details this?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Seeing as Astro Bot has MGS referenced, I hope Konami gave the ok for a little something Silent Hill in it
If the game is a homage to Playstation history, it's too important to miss