• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
New tweet on the official twitter page went up today (edit: yesterday) showing a silhouette of what many are guessing are the beta rewards:

For those interested someone also went ahead and found what's being hinted at in the pictures above:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Beta characters transferring in is awesome. Can't wait to jump in. Some of my best memories of the Dreamcast are of staying up all night playing PSO on dial up.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
New tweet on the official twitter page went up today (edit: yesterday) showing a silhouette of what many are guessing are the beta rewards:

For those interested someone also went ahead and found what's being hinted at in the pictures above:

i was really hoping they actually made an xbox one mag, but dreamcast mag makes much more sense

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but do the PC beta players get a chance to get the Dreamcast mag? I waannnnttt one so bad. I've signed up for the PC beta but i don't have an Xbox One :/

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but do the PC beta players get a chance to get the Dreamcast mag? I waannnnttt one so bad. I've signed up for the PC beta but i don't have an Xbox One :/

There is no beta for the PC version. Maybe there will be one at a later date, but for now the beta is exclusive for the Xbox One version. You signed up for the Xbox One beta via your PC. Or as Microsoft says: "You can register for early sign-up on Windows 10, but the Closed Beta is exclusive to Xbox One."

It's a bit misleading as they make it sound like you can do an early sign-up for the eventual PC beta. But no, this is only for the Xbox One version. Unfortunately, there currently is no information about a PC beta.

Personally, I don't really need one, as I played the Japanese version for a bit, but I'm curious to see in what state the game currently is (meaning what content is in the game, like all episodes etc.). I wonder if the full PC version will launch alongside the Xbox One version of if they'll release it at a later point. I hope it's not the latter.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
There is no beta for the PC version. Maybe there will be one at a later date, but for now the beta is exclusive for the Xbox One version. You signed up for the Xbox One beta via your PC. Or as Microsoft says: "You can register for early sign-up on Windows 10, but the Closed Beta is exclusive to Xbox One."

Oh crap lol i guess i was confused, thanks for clearing that up

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so glad it's going to have all the content, makes the wait worth it. Hopefully the pc launch isn't far off, I had so much fun with the Japanese version when it first launched even tho I couldn't read anything, I havent kept up with it after giving up on vpn workarounds so I'm excited to see all the new content, kinda wish I had an xbone right now

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How bad is the monetization in the game? I'm not expecting it to be good considering the game is free-to-play.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the full PC version will launch alongside the Xbox One version of if they'll release it at a later point. I hope it's not the latter.

So far, everything MS has said is pointing to a late PC release. How late we don't know yet, whenever anyone asks about the PC version the only answer is "we'll have more to say soon!"

Frustrating for a game with an already existing PC port.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
How bad is the monetization in the game? I'm not expecting it to be good considering the game is free-to-play.
Basically anything can be bought with in game money via the player shops, but prices will be dictated by the player base. This includes the vast vast majority of cosmetics, weapons, armors, etc. save for event specific things. In game money is fairly easy to obtain, so as long as you don't want incredibly rare highly sought after cosmetic goods, you're fine.

Additional character slots cost money, but you get 3 for free, and characters can change classes freely. Respecing also costs money, but every time Sega patches the game they give you a free respec pass. I'm drowning in them. Pretty much the only gameplay thing tied to money is MAGs, which you only get one for free, and respecing it is expensive if you fuck it up. Additional MAGs will cost money (read a guide). Player shops can technically be made/run for free, but only for a limited time with shop passes. You'll have to spend money if you want to run a shop long term. There's also fishing/mining, which was added around the time I kinda drifted away from the game. It runs off a classic mobage system. You have a stamina system, leveling up resets the stamina, and you can use real money to buy items which replenishes stamina. But as far as I can tell you can ignore it entirely, and the stuff you make with it can be bought with in game money as well. Also the main abilities tied to this were eventually added to the skill tree, so I don't even know if this is relevant any more.

Bonus stuff you can spend real money on is things like a larger room that you can customize, extra storage space, and smaller QoL things like that.

Last edited:

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
Basically anything can be bought with in game money via the player shops, but prices will be dictated by the player base. This includes the vast vast majority of cosmetics, weapons, armors, etc. save for event specific things. In game money is fairly easy to obtain, so as long as you don't want incredibly rare highly sought after cosmetic goods, you're fine.

Additional character slots cost money, but you get 3 for free, and characters can change classes freely. Respecing also costs money, but every time Sega patches the game they give you a free respec pass. I'm drowning in them. Pretty much the only gameplay thing tied to money is MAGs, which you only get one for free, and respecing it is expensive if you fuck it up. Additional MAGs will cost money (read a guide). Player shops can technically be made/run for free, but only for a limited time with shop passes. You'll have to spend money if you want to run a shop long term. There's also fishing/mining, which was added around the time I kinda drifted away from the game. It runs off a classic mobage system. You have a stamina system, leveling up resets the stamina, and you can use real money to buy items which replenishes stamina. But as far as I can tell you can ignore it entirely, and the stuff you make with it can be bought with in game money as well. Also the main abilities tied to this were eventually added to the skill tree, so I don't even know if this is relevant any more.

Bonus stuff you can spend real money on is things like a larger room that you can customize, extra storage space, and smaller QoL things like that.
As I stated in the other thread, the cost of the MAG level down items was drastically reduced, from 50 to 5 excubes, still a bit but not as expensive anymore. My Room tickets can also be obtained by f2p through FUN and the exchange shops, I have a Japanese friend that is very f2p and he maintains his My Room and My Shop active through FUN scratch and the Excube/Exchange shop.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I was an OG PSO player. I put so many hours into that game. What are some of the core differences between the two? I never really researched since it was never coming out in the US. Is the gameplay similar? It still seems like an ARPG still with loot and such.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Will this also be released for PS4 down the line? I mean the JP version already exists, right?
When it was announced at E3 last year some reporter asked Phil Spencer if it was going to be exclusive to Xbox and he said it would not, that it would be coming to other platforms. Nothing besides Xbox or PC has been announced though. Seeing the big Azure logo at the end of the trailer probably means Microsoft is helping to set it up here, and that might be why they got first dibs.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
As I stated in the other thread, the cost of the MAG level down items was drastically reduced, from 50 to 5 excubes, still a bit but not as expensive anymore. My Room tickets can also be obtained by f2p through FUN and the exchange shops, I have a Japanese friend that is very f2p and he maintains his My Room and My Shop active through FUN scratch and the Excube/Exchange shop.
Did they add that to the Excube shop, because I don't remember ever being able to buy Shop passes. Unless you mean buying Fun Tickets with Excubes. But that sounds really tedious since 3 day passes only drop every like 10K rolled on Fun Scratches. In the thousand (casual) hours I dropped on the game I only got a couple shop/room passes

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
So I was an OG PSO player. I put so many hours into that game. What are some of the core differences between the two? I never really researched since it was never coming out in the US. Is the gameplay similar? It still seems like an ARPG still with loot and such.
No more missing and no more random blocking. You're expected to dodge everything by either running out of the way or using i-frames to dash through things. Everything is dash cancel-able, so combat can be very fast paced. Jumping also adds a new layer to the game. It's kinda like a character action game. You can tell the game was originally designed to be very stylish with you doing sick juggle combos, but it's (kinda) an MMO so efficiency trumps style, meaning no one actually plays like this

Even though you can. My first character was a Fighter who cast magic. She wasn't as efficient as a regular Fighter, so I played her solo and always had a ton of fun running around casting spells and punching dude.

The core missions system is similar. Randomly instanced areas connected together, two floors, then a boss. Emergency Quests are pre-scheduled events that happen multiple times a day. A lot of people just idle the game and wait for these events since they give you tons of EXP and loot. These special missions range from standard fair to tower defense missions or piloting mechs.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
No more missing and no more random blocking. You're expected to dodge everything by either running out of the way or using i-frames to dash through things. Everything is dash cancel-able, so combat can be very fast paced. Jumping also adds a new layer to the game. It's kinda like a character action game. You can tell the game was originally designed to be very stylish with you doing sick juggle combos, but it's (kinda) an MMO so efficiency trumps style, meaning no one actually plays like this

Even though you can. My first character was a Fighter who cast magic. She wasn't as efficient as a regular Fighter, so I played her solo and always had a ton of fun running around casting spells and punching dude.

The core missions system is similar. Randomly instanced areas connected together, two floors, then a boss. Emergency Quests are pre-scheduled events that happen multiple times a day. A lot of people just idle the game and wait for these events since they give you tons of EXP and loot. These special missions range from standard fair to tower defense missions or piloting mechs.

Ive seen that video and yea that is someone being incredibly stylish for no reason lol. But your video led me to this one which is also pretty cool:

EDIT also, I wonder how many weapons we will start out with. Will we get all the weapons the JP server currently has?? I need my punchy characters :3

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ive seen that video and yea that is someone being incredibly stylish for no reason lol. But your video led me to this one which is also pretty cool:

EDIT also, I wonder how many weapons we will start out with. Will we get all the weapons the JP server currently has?? I need my punchy characters :3

All the weapon types should be in, as pre-release material states you can pick from nine classes. That would cover every class except the successor classes, which need to be unlocked and use existing weapon types anyway (albeit in different ways).

So yeah there should be knuckles and you can use them as Fighter to go punch things.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
So far, everything MS has said is pointing to a late PC release. How late we don't know yet, whenever anyone asks about the PC version the only answer is "we'll have more to say soon!"

Frustrating for a game with an already existing PC port.

This is super frustrating, yeah. I can understand why Microsoft is pushing the Xbox One version (my guess is they're putting money into it, I kinda doubt this was Sega's idea) but considering that it was originally a PC game it's a bit frustrating. I hope the PC version won't release much later than the Xbox One one.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Opinions on doing an OT for the closed beta?

Im asking because I figured putting it up tomorrow when pre-load starts might be a good time to do so.