• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
Because its boring? And ultimately self defeating. Gamers will tire of it in the end. Its why Sony aren't as interesting as they were early this gen. They've lost a lot of their diversity in their portfolio.

??? The bold is contradictory considering their games did not sell as well when they were "interesting," including during the PS2 days. Whether or not gamers will tire of it, Sony has changed their strategy considerably gen to gen, and this is the most successful they've been. There's no argument to be made that it's not a fantastic business decision.

I also don't really see what was interesting about it. Even PS4 owners thought Sony's first party output was lacking at the time. A Killzone sequel, Knack, an Infamous sequel.... Driveclub was interesting considering its social aspects.

The most interesting things were things announced or came out later. Uncharted 4's convoy demo was more interesting than any trailer of those initial PS4 games. Horizon and Dreams' announcements were interesting because they were different, and Horizon was the most exciting thing Horizon announced in ages (and this time wasn't fake like the Killzone 2 video). God of War's trailer was exciting. A high-quality Spidey was exciting. The hordes in Days Gone were exciting. Kojima working with Sony was exciting. And Pixelopus's Concrete Genie was more exciting than Entwined at E3 2014. That's not even getting into how exciting VR is and the kind of experiences you get from it and possibilities like Astro Bot or Blood & Truth or Iron Man.

Oct 26, 2017
If Sony actually bought both Housemarque and Remedy, European continent would equal the number of American studios, right?

America: 7 (San Diego (unnounced), Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Bend, Sucker Punch, San Diego Studio, San Mateo)
Europe: 7 (Remedy, Housemarque, Manchester Studio (unnounced), London Studio, Media Molecule, Guerrilla and XDev)
Japan: 2 (Polyphony and Japan Studio)

It's still rather strange that Sony hasn't have more studios in Japan and none in Canada.

Plyphony has a studio in Netherlands and US.
Remove UK studios from Europe D:

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Because its boring? And ultimately self defeating. Gamers will tire of it in the end. Its why Sony aren't as interesting as they were early this gen. They've lost a lot of their diversity in their portfolio.
You just dont know where to look. Astro Bot is more impressive, fun and beautiful than anything I've played on any other platform. Blood & truth is almost up there as well. Dont know what to tell you if you haven't played these games, but if you have you wouldn't be saying this.

I see it as filling the gaps. A good single player adventure is hard to come by and I hope they continue this path.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
You just dont know where to look. Astro Bot is more impressive, fun and beautiful than anything I've played on any other platform. Blood & truth is almost up there as well. Dont know what to tell you if you haven't played these games, but if you have you wouldn't be saying this.

I see it as filling the gaps. A good single player adventure is hard to come by and I hope they continue this path.

To be fair, I agree with you there. VR is the one thing that really kept it interesting. I've sold mine in now after having a great time with it. The wires got too annoying. But I did love the astrobot demo sobid imagine the game is great. Outside of VR though, which still only has a tiny install base of under 5m, the main offerings are all looking very similar to me.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
To be fair, I agree with you there. VR is the one thing that really kept it interesting. I've sold mine in now after having a great time with it. The wires got too annoying. But I did love the astrobot demo sobid imagine the game is great. Outside of VR though, which still only has a tiny install base of under 5m, the main offerings are all looking very similar to me.
There are Dreams, Concrete Genie and MediEvil still coming up this year. No samey, no VR needed.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
I'm impressed a thread wasn't made yet lol

Some people live for the "salt"

Apart from Kojima who is like a rockstar and maybe 3-4 famous devs like Mikami or Miyazaki for example, who cares if a dev goes from Sony to Ms or the other way around? people here are strange they treat devs like football players or something lol

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Man this narrative that Sony is bad for buying studios but good for Microsoft is something else.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the inFamous shade, especially in this thread of all places. Best third person ranged combat ever and decent enough storylines. Certainly more interesting than whatever GoTsu will end up being, even though I'm still really hyped for Tsushima.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Reading the posts about Killzone & Resistance, I feel like that ship has long sailed with Sony producing another exclusive AAA FPS anytime soon.

Especially with Sony emphasizing last week about strengthening their relationship with large publishers for next gen. Kinda reads to me, securing more long term marketing deals for either Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny 3, Overwatch 2, Fortnite or maybe even Bestheda's Starfield than trying to compete against those titles with another FPS that PS5 will no doubt have no shortage of.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I never see these guys crying over Nintendo and their exclusive games but now apparently Sony not releasing their games on PC is something bad

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Man this narrative that Sony is bad for buying studios but good for Microsoft is something else.

I have noticed the same thing.

Microsoft announces an acquisition - "Good job Phil!", "20 by 20 baby"
Sony is rumored to acquire a studio - "This is bad", "They should build studios from ground up instead"

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
All this acquisitions talking has become really tiresome after MS started buying studios.

Market consolidation is never good but it what it is. At the end of the day i only care about quality.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony is rumored to acquire a studio - "This is bad", "They should build studios from ground up instead"
To be fair, Microsoft has been mostly picking up smaller and/or financially struggling studios. Sony is working on another level.

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the posts about Killzone & Resistance, I feel like that ship has long sailed with Sony producing another exclusive AAA FPS anytime soon.

Especially with Sony emphasizing last week about strengthening their relationship with large publishers for next gen. Kinda reads to me, securing more long term marketing deals for either Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny 3, Overwatch 2, Fortnite or maybe even Bestheda's Starfield than trying to compete against those titles with another FPS that PS5 will no doubt have no shortage of.

Guerrilla absolutely seems to be gearing up for a major shooter. Sony is not completely abandoning that market and Sony have stated an interest making more MP service games.I

To be fair, Microsoft has been mostly picking up smaller and/or financially struggling studios. Sony is working on another level.

We know about one studio Sony has shown interest in. Do you honestly believe Microsoft hasn't kicked the tires on any bigger devs?

I never see these guys crying over Nintendo and their exclusive games but now apparently Sony not releasing their games on PC is something bad

This another thing that really annoys me. And it didn't just start when Nintendo went all portable with Switch either.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I really don't get the inFamous shade, especially in this thread of all places. Best third person ranged combat ever and decent enough storylines. Certainly more interesting than whatever GoTsu will end up being, even though I'm still really hyped for Tsushima.

Yup Infamous' gameplay combat and traversal especially was so good. I was sad all that talent was gonna go to waste when it turned out Ghost was their game.

Nov 8, 2017
Almost forgot that it took ND less than a year to complete the game which is confirmed in this video.

Holy shit! That is mind blowing that such an amazing game could be churned out in such a short period of time. People don't call them Naughty Gods for nothing.

The fun things about these GDC videos is seeing how complex seemingly simple things are in video games and how much hard work has to go into making them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yup Infamous' gameplay combat and traversal especially was so good. I was sad all that talent was gonna go to waste when it turned out Ghost was their game.

They made 5 inFAMOUS projects if you include Festival of Blood and First Light. I see nothing wrong with them trying something new. It was time for it. Maybe GoT will be their Horizon Zero Dawn.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Honestly would love it if Sony acquired/opened a AA studio and actually just let them continue making AA games instead of just AAA games which take 3-4 years to make. Not every game needs to be this huge budget, huge development team production.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Guerrilla absolutely seems to be gearing up for a major shooter. Sony is not completely abandoning that market and Sony have stated an interest making more MP service games.

For sure, Sony's definitely interested producing more MP games, I just don't see any of them being an FPS.

I'm not even completely sold that the Guerrilla MP project with the Rainbow Six Seige director is going to even be an FPS game either.

Oct 26, 2018
Sony is little too late on buying devs. If they announce acquisitions this year - it will take like 3-5 years for those studios to make something. So the best case scenario is that games will come like in 2023-24.

And yes, we got teased with MS buying studios by insiders on era. We got 0 things from them about Sony. So i dont believe we will hear anything this year

Not true, whatever studio Sony might acquire might have a game in the works already, close to being announced. Similar to ninja theory with bleeding edge

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Right? lol.
And it's even funnier since Sony's already been doing the large expansion thing with several of their studios for a while now and the ground up thing as well by recently creating at least two more new ones we know of that haven't even been officially announced yet with the one with the uncharted rumor and the VR studio.

Remedy (like NT probably would have too) would actually fit really well with the kinds of story-based single-player games they and Sony both prefer to make, since they seem especially interested in the same thing.

I hope that anyone that takes over is a huge fan of Japanese games :).
Yeah. :)
Seems like John did a great job these last years, this has been one hell of a gen working with third parties, western and Japanese ones (Boyes too).

Also, hopefully whenever PSX comes back Gio gets a segment again. Those Japanese localization announcements were always a great part of those conferences.

Japan studio have many teams inside it, maybe they prefer to group them there instead of having 3/4 small studios.
Yeah. One way or another though they should expand then, if for some reason they still don't want to pick up another Japanese dev. They could use some more internal Japanese output.

Last edited:

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
What do you think it will be then?

Honestly hope it'll be something so left field that we wouldn't immediately think Guerilla Games when we see it, similar to how surprising Bleeding Edge is a Ninja Theory game. I also kinda don't think the game director would leave Ubisoft to make same game again at Sony. But yeah, I'm guessing it's going to be Tactical Third Person Shooter or Action MP game based around a new IP.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly hope it'll be something so left field that we wouldn't immediately think Guerilla Games when we see it, similar to how surprising Bleeding Edge is a Ninja Theory game. I also kinda don't think the game director would leave Ubisoft to make same game again at Sony. But yeah, I'm guessing it's going to be Tactical Third Person Shooter or Action MP game based around a new IP.

Considering how good GG is at ranged combat I hope they stick with it no what matter the camera perspective is.

Status
Not open for further replies.