• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog has been using the same engine since the PS3 gen and while the TLOU 2 looked incredible. I feel like Naughty Dog could do a lot more with a new next gen engine. What do you guys think?

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
The current version of the engine they use is producing fantastic results. I'm sure the next iteration will continue to impress.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
No, they have an internal Engine they have developed for years, they have full reign to adjust or update any part of it. It's one of the most powerful things about ND is the power of their engine they have created. Switching that would ruin their entire pipeline.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
They've likely been upgrading and enhancing it as they go along, incorporating the PS5's features.

Not very efficient to scrap and start from scratch.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, they should go make a new engine that will take them years to develop instead of you know making games.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Would be a tremendous undertaking to create a new engine from scratch. It highly depends on how it's structured right now, but unless it's a total clusterfuck that can't be improved unless it needs to be rewritten, they'd be better off making increments to their current engine.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I think their engine is design to constantly stream, moving on to ps5 will do wonder. They just need to add new tech like RT and tessellation.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Engines are not just things you can hotswap. There are a ton of stories about how a mandatory switch to Frostbite really hamstrung a lot of development at EA, especially for BioWare.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I mean, they'll have a new version of their engine. Saying they've been using the "same engine" since the PS3 days is like saying Unreal Engine 3 is the "same engine" as Unreal Engine 4 or 5.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Their engine is still state-of-the-art in many ways. Lighting, shading, animations, ... They'll switch some things up, to leverage things like ray-traced global illumination, might add stuff in similar to UE5's Nanite, ...

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Why though? They've invested so much in it, they can update it to accommodate whatever new tech there is.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's ICE team is at Naughty Dog, I'm sure the engine they're using is quite refined.

OP
OP
Frieza

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they'll have a new version of their engine. Saying they've been using the "same engine" since the PS3 days is like saying Unreal Engine 3 is the "same engine" as Unreal Engine 4 or 5.

I thought the numbered unreal engines were new iterations rather than just the same engine updated.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog has been using the same engine since the PS3 gen and while the TLOU 2 looked incredible. I feel like Naughty Dog could do a lot more with a new next gen engine. What do you guys think?

? What exactly would they be able to do with a new engine versus changing their current engine? There's way too many misconceptions when it comes to game engines.

OP
OP
Frieza

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
It does seem pretty dated, graphically. A bit cartoony. Animations are ahead of the rest though.

That's why I made this thread lol after playing the TLOU 2 I noticed there were some small aspects that reminded me of the old uncharted games and then I remembered they are using the same engine.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
They'll have all their resources at their disposal to improve their engine. They'll be fine.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog's technology is some of the best in the industry. It's not like they're using Gamebryo or something. It would make zero sense to start from scratch.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how fucking good TLOU2 looks and plays, and how much it improved over Uncharted 4, I'd say they are good with an engine upgrade.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Dude the ICE team will rework whatever parts of the engine they need to update to produce better results. Their current gen games look borderline next gen, im sure they dont need to rewrite a new engine from scratch like they did for the gens of ps1,2 and 3.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to say what the shortcomings of the engine are without having in-depth knowledge. Like during the PS3 era I thought they might have trouble doing realtime cutscenes but now on ps4 they do it all realtime without a problem.

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played TLoU 2 and I'm not smart enough to notice engine issues so unless there's something that's interrupting their workflow or acting as a technical bottleneck I don't see why they'd build a new engine or transition to a out of house tech.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
They will probably update the engine. I really hope ND games on PS5 eliminate those annoying "loading screens". If you skip cutscenes in TLOU2 you know how much time is needed to reload the next level/cutscene.

Personally I think ND games will fundamentally changed with the PS5, I mean in a large F scale. You have no idea.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
In regards to ND games looking "cartoony" - it would be a mistake to view it as a technical limitation instead of artistic choice:

F8pRq3U.png

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Their engine they have developed is amazing, and to think it was their PS3 engine. I imagine we will see them continuing to update the same engine to take advantage of the power of the PS5.

xFiona

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
They will probably update the engine. I really hope ND games on PS5 eliminate those annoying "loading screens". If you skip cutscenes in TLOU2 you know how much time is needed to reload the next level/cutscene.

Personally I think ND games will fundamentally changed with the PS5, I mean in a large F scale. You have no idea.
According to Sony, loading is a thing of the past!

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's why I made this thread lol after playing the TLOU 2 I noticed there were some small aspects that reminded me of the old uncharted games and then I remembered they are using the same engine.
Yeah they should start using Unreal Engine, that way TLOU3 will look more Fortniteish because that's how it works.
Gotta love Gamers and Game Engine discussions.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
calling it the same engine is wrong, its like calling Source 2 the same as the Quake Engine

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I mean they set the industry standard in terms of fidelity by continuously updating their engine (just like Rockstar) - I see no reason why they would ditch that.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The engine thing is funny because im not sure if Ferrari develops a new engine every few years.

I am currently coding on a system that was made literally 40 years ago and whenever i get frustrated, i just add to it and bring it up to date with latest database trends. We almost never start from scratch.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
does people know how engine updates work? it's not the same engine it was on PS3, just like Unreal Engine isn't also.

and why would they? their engine is one of the best in gaming.