• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Underwater Come Back?

• Yes

Votes: 110 34.9%
  • No

Votes: 205 65.1%

• Total voters

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Every new Monster Hunter generation (at least since Tri) has brought with it a major revision to the gameplay. 3rd generation had underwater combat, introduced some new mechanics like monster stamina, and more. 4th generation shifted the focus to aerial attacks and a more verticality focused level design - axing underwater combat entirely. Monster Hunter World expanded on the actual world of the game, making maps seamlessly interconnected instead of the old zone-based system from the prior games. We also had even more of a focus on verticality and environmental interactions, with stuff like slopes, wedge beetles, and flora/fauna that could be used to help players in the middle of hunts.

Monster Hunter World was such a huge jump from the previous games, and has added so much to the formula, that I actually struggle to think about what else the series could add to spice things up again - the only thing I could think of is that maybe it might be time to give underwater combat another shot.

We already have a pretty good idea that Leviathans like Lagiacrus will be back in the next games, but it goes without saying that Lagiacrus without underwater combat is just half a monster - despite all of the changes that it received in MHGen/GU. I also feel like that part of the "problem" with underwater combat may be fixed thanks to maneuverability improvements in MHWorld. Stuff like the clutch claw from Iceborne feels like it could go a long way towards making underwater easier to swallow for weapons that aren't just Lance. I also think it's fair to say that some of the complaints about underwater combat might've been exacerbated by the default control schemes for Tri and MH3U on Wii and 3DS respectively. I know that I'm not the only one that enjoyed water combat much more once I found out about dodging up and down in the water using the ZL/ZR buttons in Tri/MH3U - having functions like that in MH6/MHW2 along with everything else might go a long way in helping water combat comes across better if it's better explained.

I really don't know what else could be added that would feel like a paradigm shift, and with how well MHW sold it feels like MHW2 deserves just as much of a paradigm shift, too. I always liked underwater as a concept and I really do feel like it's time for the series to give it another shot. What does MHEra think?

Blue Hedgehog

Mar 7, 2018
The series is called Monster Hunter and there are monsters that live in the water so we should be able to hunt them.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
God no

I really didn't care for it in Tri, and that shit would seriously freak me out with next-gen visuals. Underwater stuff is a big nope for me.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a lot of work to retool something that didn't go over well, and it still might suck after all the work is done. Plus it means needing maps to support it (which means even more monsters will just ignore half of a map because you're not gonna see Rathalos swimming) and it means losing some of those monster-on-monster interactions that Capcom was clearly very proud of with World.

So no, don't bring it back.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
that sounds like a hideous pain in the butt for repeated hunts. No thanks.

Gives Brightmoss more of a use!

That's another thing that I specifically miss from Tri - it actually used lighting in some interesting ways that just got scrapped from P3rd/MH3U. Like lighting torches in the Tundra's cave for fighting Gigginox and the like.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
No thanks I don't miss it, I would only be interested if they increased maneuverability significantly.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I personally loved underwater combat and monsters, so definitely I hope it does.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
If they made it actually fun, sure. I've been playing 3U for the first time recently and I don't know how you old MH heads put up with the water combat on top of everything else from the older gens.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. It's exciting to have such a complete change of pace (and also being able to hit parts you normally struggle with melee on the ground) mid hunt and provides some amazing locale changes.

With twin sticks now, camera control should be easy. Sadly, if it does come back, it feels likely clutch claw could too as a way to keep up and close distance underwater and I don't want that to return.

Underwater hunts returning doesn't mean it's exactly like it was in Tri, but hopefully more refined with new movement options and more. Fighting abyssal lagi is a series highlight.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not completely against it, but it would need to be entirely redesigned. As it was it just made every weapon I played less fun.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
g2AHNYX.gif

MonMonDad

Dec 21, 2019
Absolutely yes. Loved it in Tri-G because I'm a Lance user. Other weapons definitely would need redesign moves.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha god it was slow in hell as Tri but damned it didn't bring much needed variety. Would love a revamped version in future iterations.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I like it and I like variety. Yes bring it back.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to see a lot more people liked the underwater combat than I thought! I'll add my voice. I enjoyed the underwater combat in 3. Hunting amphibious monsters like Lagiacrus was exciting as hell, and I'd look forward to seeing what improvements/streamlining they could do for underwater combat like they did for mounting.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
No. It was trash back then and nothing could fix it. Monster Hunter has a lot of shit going on and adding that extra axis is a mess. Plus why waste a shit ton of time and money on a mechanic for like a handful of monsters?

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to say no, because it wasn't fun before. However considering how much much better World plays and controls than the previous games, maybe they can make water combat very fun in World 2.

so yeah I'll vote yes.

They should, if only to break up the monotony of World's continued march into becoming Dragon Hunter.

I think the clutch claw could actually be really cool for underwater combat if it got reworked into a kind of tow cable. One that keeps melee players in close proximity to the monster (solving the single biggest issue that underwater combat had before for those players) while introducing a risk/reward element by needing to detach when they do big moves like charges or AOE attacks like Lagiacrus's discharge.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much no game has made water oriented stuff that wasn't just a massive chore outside of games specifically taking place in like 99 percent water.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eww, they better not call the next Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter World 2.

Either go with another subtitle or call it MH6

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
They should add it back but make it so that movement is smooth and fast. Make the hunter have some propellers or something to maintain the speed on-ground but get the benefit of having another dimension of space to consider when fighting monsters.