• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
A question for the SMT loremasters; how does Magatsuhi differ from Magnetite? I kinda remember Magnetite being used as currency to summon demons in the older games. I'm currently replaying Nocturne and Magatsuhi seems to be just power juice for demons. So I guess Magnetite has been mostly abandoned /replaced by Magatsuhi?

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
New here.

Never played an SMT.

From what I've seen of SMT 3 & SMT V, a lot of the environments look basic and samey.

Do the games usually get more interesting with their color palette and settings, or is that just part of the game?

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
So I was thinking about playing SMT IV but I don't know which I should play, the "normal" IV or Apocalypse?
They're entirely different games. I've only played 4 but from my knowledge Apocalypse is a sort of spin-off/sequel to it, so I imagine you should play base 4 first

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
New here.

Never played an SMT.

From what I've seen of SMT 3 & SMT V, a lot of the environments look basic and samey.

Do the games usually get more interesting with their color palette and settings, or is that just part of the game?

Nocturne has some samey environments, but also a lot of unique looking dungeons. It is also however going for a specific vibe and atmosphere.

We don't know enough about SMTV, we've just seen like one area in gameplay demos, but the JP Direct trailer shows off more areas, have you watched that? It's a much better trailer.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So I was thinking about playing SMT IV but I don't know which I should play, the "normal" IV or Apocalypse?
Apocalypse is a pseudo-sequel to SMTIV, diverging from late game IV into its own story with a new main cast. It has better gameplay balance, and longer dungeons, although their visual feels cheap compared to the IV ones that look generally more like actual locations. SMTIV also has less story scenes compared with Apocalypse, with a lot of setting and even story info coming from talking with random npcs during the middle/late game, while Apocalypse is much more story driven to the end (although it falls to anime cliches more than IV).

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017

You can't play Apocalypse without playing IV. I mean you can but it'll be such a shitty experience. Not even worth wasting your time doing that.

Like, the main cast of IV is part of the plot of Apocalypse and won't make sense to you. Sorry I'm being honest.

Nov 1, 2020
A question for the SMT loremasters; how does Magatsuhi differ from Magnetite? I kinda remember Magnetite being used as currency to summon demons in the older games. I'm currently replaying Nocturne and Magatsuhi seems to be just power juice for demons. So I guess Magnetite has been mostly abandoned /replaced by Magatsuhi?
Functionally speaking, more or less.
But if you want to get into splitting hairs, Magatsuhi was introduced as particular to the Vortex World of Nocturne, used both as generic power juice for demons and for 'need tons of this as part of next step of the world reincarnation process'.
Magnetite's power juice for demons to manifest in the 'real'/'regular' world. So really, I see the distinction more in being the Vortex World being an in-between state in the world reincarnation process, as opposed when the world is in the, er, 'normal' state of being 'alive'.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
This was like the saving grace of the direct and kind of E3 as a whole for me. Very excited for it, a week before Pokémon definitely sucks though.

Oct 28, 2017
Functionally speaking, more or less.
But if you want to get into splitting hairs, Magatsuhi was introduced as particular to the Vortex World of Nocturne, used both as generic power juice for demons and for 'need tons of this as part of next step of the world reincarnation process'.
Magnetite's power juice for demons to manifest in the 'real'/'regular' world. So really, I see the distinction more in being the Vortex World being an in-between state in the world reincarnation process, as opposed when the world is in the, er, 'normal' state of being 'alive'.
That actually makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
New here.

Never played an SMT.

These games aren't colorful, they have a restrict color palette that work really well with conveying the atmosphere they go for. Most environments look clean and sterile, but there are also some surreal locations where they use color in a specific way.

That said, SMTV already seems to be breaking that trend just by how vibrant the protagonist design looks. We have also seen what looks like snow in some of the footage, which would be a first for the series, so we don't know about that one.

Jun 24, 2019

I think MAG, Magatsuhi and "Reds" are the same thing.

They all serve as an energy-like substance that is used to summon demons and demons consume it to live/power-up. Humans also have MAG within them, so it's probably why demons are drawn to them.

Meta-humans and reincarnated figures such as Stephen or the Goddess from Tokyo Revelations OVA is said to have a lot MAG flowing through them, hence why they are so powerful. In SMT IV Apocalypse, Dagda describes MAG as another word for Aether.

There is a slight difference that Look over there has already explained, is that Magatsuhi serves a role in world conception and is found when the world is 'transitioning'.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This was like the saving grace of the direct and kind of E3 as a whole for me. Very excited for it, a week before Pokémon definitely sucks though.
Pokemon immediately went on the backburner for me as soon as the release date for SMTV originally leaked. Playing Nocturne on the Switch the last few weeks has been a dream come true, and SMTV on the Switch looks like that even moreso.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aogami_render.png

Aogami is making the Kaneko pose.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a SMT game before are they all tightly connected or am I fine just playing this when it releases

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
aogami_render.png

Aogami is making the Kaneko pose.

The character faces in this game seem to be trying to evoke the Kaneko style instead of the more overtly anime ones in IV. Which is interesting. I'm not super down with the tokusatsu aesthetic being used a lot in MegaTen so I'm hoping if Odin returns he'll have his classic design or (Lucifer willing) his Soul Hackers look. It just seems like an easy out if it's not used sparingly, and we already had Dagda doing a similar thing just last game, but we'll see.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
So I wanted to see how big of an upgrade SMT 5 is to other Atlus games.

So here's the Japanese trailer for SMT 5

Here's the Persona 5 PS4 launch trailer

Here's SMT 4 trailer

So yea I'm glad to say we are getting a high-quality SMT game visually based on Atlus standards. The game looks to be a good upgrade to Persona 5 especially model and animation-wise. The saving grace for Persona 5 is the art style covering up some of the blemishes so yea SMT getting that good budget. As for SMT4, 5 looks to be a huge upgrade on everything so that one person saying 5 looks like a 3DS game is so incredibly wrong (Think it was just bait tbh).

I'm glad Atlus took their time with the game and didn't just go with the easy route and made it SMT 4 2.0. Instead, it looks to be greatly expanded which is a huge welcome. Anyway, this game is one of best looking Atlus game and can't wait to see the game get optimized even more in the coming months. It just goes to show that Atlus at the end of the day makes AA games that aren't graphical showcases, but it's the gameplay that has people coming.

Just happy to see SMT getting its spotlight.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly hoping IV and IVA get HDified rereleases on Switch at some point... If only so we can get the soundtrack and demon art in higher def. Maybe the 3D models could look less like ass too

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So I wanted to see how big of an upgrade SMT 5 is to other Atlus games.

So here's the Japanese trailer for SMT 5

Here's the Persona 5 PS4 launch trailer

Here's SMT 4 trailer

So yea I'm glad to say we are getting a high-quality SMT game visually based on Atlus standards. The game looks to be a good upgrade to Persona 5 especially model and animation-wise. The saving grace for Persona 5 is the art style covering up some of the blemishes so yea SMT getting that good budget. As for SMT4, 5 looks to be a huge upgrade on everything so that one person saying 5 looks like a 3DS game is so incredibly wrong (Think it was just bait tbh).

I'm glad Atlus took their time with the game and didn't just go with the easy route and made it SMT 4 2.0. Instead, it looks to be greatly expanded which is a huge welcome. Anyway, this game is one of best looking Atlus game and can't wait to see the game get optimized even more in the coming months. It just goes to show that Atlus at the end of the day makes AA games that aren't graphical showcases, but it's the gameplay that has people coming.

Just happy to see SMT getting its spotlight.

The game looks fantastic. It's a way, its like seeing the full realization of the SMT aesthetic.

But watching the trailers for P5 and IV, I wish the UI didn't look so bad :( it's really really annoying me because the game looks gorgeous otherwise, and Atlus can make such awesome UIs, I don't know what happened here.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks fantastic. It's a way, its like seeing the full realization of the SMT aesthetic.

But watching the trailers for P5 and IV, I wish the UI didn't look so bad :( it's really really annoying me because the game looks gorgeous otherwise, and Atlus can make such awesome UIs, I don't know what happened here.

I think they did it to make it more visible for handheld play, but also reusing assets is what Atlus loves to do. I think what would help is if they changed the color to something that would fit the aesthetics instead of it being green.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think they did it to make it more visible for handheld play, but also reusing assets is what Atlus loves to do. I think what would help is if they changed the color to something that would fit the aesthetics instead of it being green.

I'm fine with reusing assets, but reusing UI? 😣 They can probably design a UI from scratch in a week's work with a small team.

The colors aren't even the main problem, everything about it is wrong. Everything is too big, including the portraits, they could be much leaner, show only the eyes or something. I don't like the water ripple motif but I won't get into that, but the different parts of the UI all clash with one another, seems like the upper icons are from a different game than the side portraits and from the text box etc.

I hope they improve that at least a little bit.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Oh man, this looks really good but the only SMT related games I've ever played were Persona 4 Gold and a bit of Persona 3 Portable. Are the mainline games easy to get into if I already played Persona?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, this looks really good but the only SMT related games I've ever played were Persona 4 Gold and a bit of Persona 3 Portable. Are the mainline games easy to get into if I already played Persona?

Yeah since you'll know all the spell terminology and fusion basics.

All you really gotta know going in is that Persona is a story focused character narrative that runs on a calendar, and Shin Megami Tensei is a plot focused dungeon crawler with more emphasis on combat as the main dish over character writing.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah since you'll know all the spell terminology and fusion basics.

All you really gotta know going in is that Persona is a story focused character narrative that runs on a calendar, and Shin Megami Tensei is a plot focused dungeon crawler with more emphasis on combat as the main dish over character writing.
I see. Hope they release a demo or something first.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

Just saw this, this is interesting. Again, it's another thing that we really have to see in full context of the game, but there's a change to the way passing works in Press Turn. This video shows a comparison of doing the same thing in Nocturne, and it worked that way in IV/IV Apocalypse as well.

If you have four press turns:

In SMTV
-----------------
1. Pass once - One icon flashes
2. Pass again - second icon flashes, first one doesn't disappear
3. Pass again - third icon flashes
4. Pass again - fourth icon flashes
5. Pass again - first icon disappears.

In Nocturne/IV/IV: Apocalypse/Digital Devil Saga
---------------------------------
2. Pass again - Flashing icon disappears
3. Pass again - One icon flashes
4. Pass again - Flashing icon disappears.

Basically the difference is that passing will make any icons you don't have flashing flash, instead of disappear. Using a practical example

In V, assuming you have protagonist + 3 demons, one knowing Agi which is the enemy's weakness:

1. Demon with Agi uses it on enemy, icon flashes. - 1 flashing, 3 not.
2. Next demon passes, another icon flashes - 2 flashing, 2 not
3. Next demon passes, another icon flashes - 3 flashing, 1 not
4. Protagonist passes, another icon flashes - 4 flashing
5. Demon with Agi uses it on enemy again - 3 flashing
6. Pass - 2 flashing
7. Pass - 1 flashing
8. Pass - enemy turn

Doing this same thing in Nocturne:

1. Demon with Agi uses it on enemy, icon flashes - 1 flashing, 3 not.
2. Next demon passes, icon disappears - 3 not flashing.
3. Next demon passes, icon flashes - 1 flashing, 2 not.
4. Protagonist passes, icon disappears - 2 not flashing.
5. Demon with Agi uses it on enemy again - 1 flashing, 1 not.
6. Pass - 1 not flashing
7. Pass - 1 flashing.
8. Pass - enemy turn.

It's still effectively the same amount of turns, but does make it easier to exploit the system if certain demons have weaknesses, and you don't have any "use it or lose it" turns, particularly if everything that demon has would trigger a block/drain/repel you would want to skip.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

Just saw this, this is interesting. Again, it's another thing that we really have to see in full context of the game, but there's a change to the way passing works in Press Turn. This video shows a comparison of doing the same thing in Nocturne, and it worked that way in IV/IV Apocalypse as well.

In SMTV
-----------------

Basically the difference is that passing will make any icons you don't have flashing flash, instead of disappear. Using a practical example

In V, assuming you have protagonist + 3 demons, one knowing Agi which is the enemy's weakness:

6. Pass - 2 flashing
7. Pass - 1 flashing
8. Pass - enemy turn

6. Pass - 1 not flashing
7. Pass - 1 flashing.
8. Pass - enemy turn.

It's still effectively the same amount of turns, but does make it easier to exploit the system if certain demons have weaknesses, and you don't have any "use it or lose it" turns, particularly if everything that demon has would trigger a block/drain/repel you would want to skip.

I could have sworn it worked the same way in IV and Apocalypse, but maybe I'm mistaken

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

In SMTV
-----------------

6. Pass - 2 flashing
7. Pass - 1 flashing
8. Pass - enemy turn

6. Pass - 1 not flashing
7. Pass - 1 flashing.
8. Pass - enemy turn.

Its gonna be interesting how the gameplay is gonna be balanced with this change and the change to buffs/debuffs.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn it worked the same way in IV and Apocalypse, but maybe I'm mistaken
Maybe I'm wrong? It's been a while. I guess that's not a change then if it worked that way in IV and Apocalypse. I have been playing Nocturne HD and just finished it today, so maybe that's just taken over my headspace on that.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Does Kaneko do most of the new demon designs too? Some of the newer ones have looked a bit more generic anime-ish facially and don't have his distinct facial style.