• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Funny how the English trailer and Japanese trailer differ in tone so much… I'll take the Japanese smtv lol

I actually watched some japanese vtubers react to japanese direct. And Direct trailer in JP was very similar. It's not exact same footage with japanese voice over, but it very similar footage with very similar tutorial like framing.

The hype trailer is unrelated to direct, as it turns out, it was uploed entirely separately.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
You got about five months to play Nocturne HD before this comes out. It's hit some bomba prices already:

Amazon.com: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster - Nintendo Switch : Sega of America Inc: Everything Else

Amazon.com: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster - Nintendo Switch : Sega of America Inc: Everything Else

$39.99 on Amazon ($10 off USD)

To be honest I've had this game on my radar for a while know but it looks rough. I usually excuse most frame drops/bad performance issues if it's a game I'm enjoying, but I got so much to play right now that I don't mind waiting for SMTV. Thanks for the tip though

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We can assume they're bringing back the redesigns from 4 as well, right? I remember seeing Odin in the tease years ago, but I really want to see edgelord Satan even more.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
I wonder if SMTV will have a bit more plot focus, I enjoyed what there was of IV (though I never finished) and I couldn't enjoy Nocturne (I know, I know) because the plot was so paper thin I just didn't feel the incentive to keep going or care about anything happening. Also man I'd love it atlus would just let us choose protag gender already.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I heard several references to Tokyo Mirage Session, just to later understand that was the SMTxFire Emblem game announced a few years ago. I didn't know that. Is it like Fire Emblem or like SMT ? It could be a game for this summer! Thanks.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
English trailer was explaining the game to newcomers hearing about SMT for the first time and how to play it.

That's a good thing.
I do think they should have probably spent more time on what's different. SMT mechanics have been marketed toward newcomers for a long time. I think they should still mention those, but also spend more time talking about the things like how the game is open world, etc.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I heard several references to Tokyo Mirage Session, just to later understand that was the SMTxFire Emblem game announced a few years ago. I didn't know that. Is it like Fire Emblem or like SMT ? It could be a game for this summer! Thanks.

uhhh it's not really like either? I guess close to SMT in general (turn based game with dungeons to go through). I'd think of it more like a lighter Persona in tone with Fire emblem characters as the personas and bosses, I guess. The battle system is pretty different than general SMT though, but is quite a lot of fun.

I quite enjoyed it personally and it's one of my favorite games from the wii u/switch, but it's distinctly not what people imagine when they hear SMTxFE.

Devil Survivor is like right there if people want a true SMTxFE though tbh.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's really like neither one, although I guess it's closer to SMT in a way since it's an RPG with dungeons. The story is very light though and focuses mostly on the Japanese idol industry rather than being SMT-like at all. FE characters appear in the role of demons/Persona (each one bonds with a party member rather than fighting directly so they're closer to Persona in that sense). There's no fusion mechanic, each character has a "Mirage" associated with them and you need to gather drops from beating enemy mirages to make weapons for them. However, the weapons are associated with different skills, so collecting them kind of replaces collecting demons.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's more SMT than Fire Emblem. It's just much more colourful and positive than SMT usually is.

Nucarn

Jan 15, 2020
Belgium
This is looking really good, I still have yet to try this series properly. Only played a bit of nocturne many years ago. Can't wait!

Jun 24, 2019
OMG the fusion cutscene!! The MC is playing the organ!!!

Studio Maniax is really out doing themselves with SMT V

ed: spell check

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird crossover game that basically has gameplay similar to SMT or Persona, and has elements of Fire Emblem, including story elements (such as FE characters straight up appearing in it, classes from FE, etc.)

There's monsters as enemies, but a lot of the enemies are also just straight up Fire Emblem classes, so for instance if you go up against a Wyvern Rider, you can probably figure out bows are their weakness. Despite what many people will say, it's a good game with some fun systems. It uses a weakness exploiting system like other SMT and Persona games, but uses a mechanic called session where you have a bunch of passive session skills, and can get long combos chained off hitting a weakness. The enemies can do this too.

It's definitely not better than SMT and I don't think it's even better than the Persona games, but it's still worth playing in my opinion.

Goes without saying, but if you pick it up, play the Switch version. It has some new features such as a "Quick Session" feature, since those can go on extremely long as you end up in 10-15 combos.
That's one of the things that makes no sense. Why are they flaming skulls, isn't she an ice type demon?
I assume the implication is they're spirits. They could be just blue flaming skulls, but I guess just the orange flaming skulls provides a contrast with the colors of Mermaid herself.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I really, really dislike the huge, colorful UI elements based on TMS. If I had to think about two JRPGs more different in tone and presentation I would struggle to come up with a better example than SMT and TMS. Doesn't fit the aerie's tone at all imo.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really dislike the huge, colorful UI elements based on TMS. If I had to think about two JRPGs more different in tone and presentation I would struggle to come up with a better example than SMT and TMS. Doesn't fit the aerie's tone at all imo.
I like that the colors are more SMT rather than TMS' bright green UI elements, but yeah it is weird it's all the same shape. Even the stats page for the demons looks a lot like the stat pages for the Mirages in TMS looked.

Jun 24, 2019
I haven't watched too much of the Treehouse segment because I don't want spoil myself too much, but has it been confirmed that it's an open world game? Or is it just wide areas, but with a clear linear structure?

From what I seen in the trailer, it seems open world.

Spectres wreathed in ghostly fire is a pretty common visual shorthand. It doesn't have to do with her "element" or whatever.
I assume the implication is they're spirits. They could be just blue flaming skulls, but I guess just the orange flaming skulls provides a contrast with the colors of Mermaid herself.

I get they are wraiths but I don't think the orange flames mesh well, it clashes. Purple toxic clouds suits it more.

That's my opinion anyway. I am not a fan of the design as a whole.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This is bothering me....what is this demon? I don't recognize it.

wK5Rg2B.png

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Highlights from the trailer+gameplay:

- long live Ryota Kozuka!!!
- OPEN WORLD SMT
- visible demon encounters
- demons have agro proximity
- they also have unique spell animations
- some demons can fly and some demons are huge
- MC can have a demon companion trail behind him
- ninja jump, naruto dash, skid downhill
- ground surface affects MC's movement
- MP and Magatsuhi orbs can be collected
- moon phase system is back
- affinity system returns
- icons are stylised from SMT IV
- Magatsuhi bar
- wished they explained more of this in tree house, my guess it's similar to DDS's haunt system?
- some skills are locked, maybe unlocked through filling magatushi??
- Rags has a great new look
- as Rag is here, jewels might make a comeback
- new fusion lady, love her design

Lore theories...
DnaxUF6.png

I think this demon is Ōmagatsuhi-no-kami/YasoMagatsuhi-no-kami

uLcBiFj.png

We still have no idea who this handsome fella is

LZqmmRy.png

Izunome??

the transformed vers of that school girl that we see in the 2017 trailer???
Its confirmed that its a demon companion and not an enemy that is just aggrod chasing you?

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if this will stay nintendo exclusive forever like 4?
Unknown for sure, but I bet it does. It would be easier to port elsewhere since it's not a unique dual-screen platform like the 3DS, but I still expect it to stay Switch exclusive unless it gets remastered many years later Nocturne-style.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this.
So any references in Japanese folklore regarding the demon we bond with?
So the other world is called Da'at? Da'at….Daat….Da….ta….Data????
Yeah, Da'at makes sense. I incorrectly remembered the 2017 trailer saying "Da'ath", but just looked again and I am wrong.

Y5NBZPp.png

en.wikipedia.org

Da'at - Wikipedia

Daʻat ("Knowledge", Hebrew: דעת‎ [ˈdaʕaθ]) is the location (the mystical state) where all ten sefirot in the Tree of Life are united as one.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wK5Rg2B.png

That would be Camael, who was last seen in Devil Summoner 2.

megamitensei.fandom.com

Camael

Camael is a demon in the series. Camael also known as Kamuel, Khamael, Chamuel, Camiel and Camniel, is a Judeo-Christian angel, often listed as one of the archangels. With his name meaning "He Who Sees God," he is said to be the angel of war and strength serving as the chief of the Powers and is...

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
That would be Camael, who was last seen in Devil Summoner 2.

megamitensei.fandom.com

Camael

Camael is a demon in the series. Camael also known as Kamuel, Khamael, Chamuel, Camiel and Camniel, is a Judeo-Christian angel, often listed as one of the archangels. With his name meaning "He Who Sees God," he is said to be the angel of war and strength serving as the chief of the Powers and is...
Thank you! I'll probably play the Raidou games after finishing my Nocturne HD run. There's the last two of the SMT/Persona PS2-era games I have not played.
it almost looks like the demon Power, but i think it just doesn't have a lance/shield.... just guessing thou
See above, it's Camael from Raidou 2.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017

wK5Rg2B.png

From the wiki:

"Camael : There are many stories of where Camael was, however, he is never mentioned in the Bible. As a result, he is not fully recognized by the Catholic Church. He is also associated with the planet Mars and is one of the ten archangels of the Tree of Life, presiding over the Sephirot Gevurah."

Wasn't there a tree of life in the trailer or game over screen?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
From the wiki:

"Camael : There are many stories of where Camael was, however, he is never mentioned in the Bible. As a result, he is not fully recognized by the Catholic Church. He is also associated with the planet Mars and is one of the ten archangels of the Tree of Life, presiding over the Sephirot Gevurah."

Wasn't there a tree of life in the trailer or game over screen?
Yep, it was there! It was also at the end of the extended Japanese trailer too.

In a way it reminded me of the Agastaya tree from Persona 1, but I know it's not the same thing.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
The large number of demons did make SMT4A really fun in its battles, felt like you were leading a horde of demons and they fit well with the continuous multi boss battles because you had to rotate through them. I'll take any SMT any day though. Hopefully they figured out something more interesting to handle the moon phase this time rather than run around in circles until you hit the phase you want.

Box art/key art seems to indicate multiple paths that's not the traditional law/neutral/chaos routes, excited to see where that goes.
m6Gj0oQ.png

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
OK I love Nahobino's outfit for the most part, but what the fuck us up with his feet? He's got like figure skates on. That's so bizarre.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd be okay if it was figure skates. The movement in this game looks fun and that would be even more fun.
There is that one clip of us sliding down a hill super fast. And I think we see an area that looks like snow/winter, so skating at some point may not be out of the picture. It's just a very odd design choice that I wonder if there's a greater purpose for it.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There is that one clip of us sliding down a hill super fast. And I think we see an area that looks like snow/winter, so skating at some point may not be out of the picture. It's just a very odd design choice that I wonder if there's a greater purpose for it.
That looked more like sand sliding from Nier Automata, which was really fun in that game.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I have it on switch, I can't get into it. I love fire emblem, love SMT but ugh i don't get the novelty of it. I wanna like it. But it's just a basic "attack weakness" of a Tartarus reject enemy, climb another floor of Shibyua 109 building, go outside buy hp items from a vending machine, repeat the process.

granted I'm only 4 hours in but am I missing something?

edit: this stream is so different. Love that JP collector's edition, Atlus still printing CD's.

You unlock more combat functions as the game progresses, and you get the ability to chain more attacks by hitting weaknesses, too. The core gameplay loop stays pretty similar, but hit weakness -> continue dungeon -> heal is pretty much the same in most Atlus games. I loved the game, but I saw it as playing basically an idol-themed season of Sailor Moon with SMT gameplay, so if that's not something you're into, you're not gonna like the rest of the game lol.