• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks like it's being made just to fulfill desire of wrapping up the story it started many years ago for the sake of the fans who never stopped believing. So props to them for doing that.

Apart from that, it really looks like crap.

EDIT: Okay, just calling crap was a little unfair and exaggerated on my part, but still, it just seems like way too much jank for a project like this even for a mid-tier title.

Last edited:

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
still think they should have used the same engine as the Dreamcast games in HD because the gaming community now apparently can't even look at lower budget 3D AA games without crying how much the very sight of them makes them want to stab their eyes out

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Look, nobody's saying they should use Avatar Mocap. But this looks just in bad taste.

At that point you're better served with stylized still images or something. This is aesthetically wrong.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah getting real tiresome. This game looks great and captures the Shenmue vibe. You would think this forum would know it's not running on a AAA budget
Why do you expect people who aren't invested in Shenmue to think it looks good just because it's not AAA? The game needs to appeal to all audiences, not just hardcore Shenmue fans. They want to keep making SHenmue games. This isn't the way to achieve that dream.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks surprisingly good to me and lends a lot of credence toward what Krejlooc talked about (if I'm remembering right), where most of the original's budget went into engine work and the platform shift (stuff that isn't nearly as much of an issue these days).

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how any Shenmue fan can watch this and feel disappointed. If you're just an average person off the street comparing it to AAA games who has never played Shenmue I can get the hot take reactions but as someone who has been waiting for years it looks better than I expected honestly.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The lip syncing is bad and the animation is kind of janky. I don't think people mind that it's a stylized look nor do I think that's what they're talking about

This is nonsense

Maybe, it's weird to me because I've not experience this level of criticism towards a game like this, with several posts that contain 5 words. Especially since the game looked good to me.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks and feels exactly like Shenmue. Which is delightful.

Fans will think it is wonderful. Everyone else will be confused beyond all reason. As it should be.

OP
OP
Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It is slightly nuts that it looks better than it really has any right to be on this size + scope and a supplemented Kickstarter budget, and people still find the time to shit all over it.

still think they should have used the same engine as the Dreamcast games in HD because the gaming community now apparently can't even look at lower budget 3D AA games without crying how much the very sight of them makes them want to stab their eyes out
Wouldn't have been possible to use the old engine. Poorly documented and very specific to Dreamcast hardware, total non-starter from a practicality standpoint.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is looking solid, for my taste. I'm leaning toward playing in Japanese, just because it was how I played 2 originally. They seem to have landed on the right vibe, which is something I wasn't sure would be manageable.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Changed my second kickstarter order to PS4 as I'll wait for the Steam release to play a PC version.

I liked the trailer on second viewing with the Japanese dub. I really hope we see gameplay soon.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think this looks a bit worse than anything else we've seen of the game in terms of facial animation, and the leaked off-screen teaser from a couple of days ago actually looks better. Strange, but I have faith that the inconsistencies are down to the nature of agile software development and all the polish will come towards the very end.

It really does look like Shenmue though, so can't fault it for that. Can't wait to see the gameplay.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming community: "Why did adventure games/ AA action games die out? Why does everything have to be AAA or indie"

Also gaming community:

*sees a low budget 3D adventure game*

Hayao-Miyazakis-thoughts-on-an-artificial-intelligence.jpg

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah it's not the graphics that are the problem, it's more the aesthetics. It's how strange it looks even when compared to the DC games

Hopefully fans get what they want

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It is slightly nuts that it looks better than it really has any right to be on this size + scope and a supplemented Kickstarter budget, and people still find the time to shit all over it.
Yup. I backed the game but was expecing something much more basic, and it seems they made a faithfull recreation of the feeling the old Shenmue games had.
Happy with the result. Just sucks that new players will probably skip it because dosent look like the other big budget games out there.

This game is now an Epic Games Store exclusive for PC, and it has royally pissed off Kickstarter backers with this late-game switch: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2532170
Outch. Cant blame the backers to be mad at that. They backed a game that was promissed to come out physical for Steam. Im glad i backed the PS4 version, i would be upset as well. Fuck Epic Store exclusives form fragmenting this game even more.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The faces look like racist caricature of the Japanese (i know its not). Game looks very, very old, design wise.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This and Battletoads. New entries for franchises people only thought they wanted cause they don't remember how bad the old ones were.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
My main problem is the animation. Graphics look good and I don't mind the artstyle.

What are we comparing this to?

The animation is leagues ahead of what was in Shenmue II. For example, where the DC games used that blocky motion blur now we're getting more modern slo-mo to emphasize the speed of Ryo's movements, which demands even more frames of animation fidelity.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
First off its a AA game, second the team are constantly making improvements every time the game is shown.

For example the grandmaster character model has been improved and updated from the 1st teaser trailer.

S3 is still my most anticipated game along with Death Stranding.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like trash and its hilarious to see people say "looks exactly like a shenmue game"!

Nostalgia's a helluva drug.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's got the vibe of the Dreamcast games for sure. I don't know, I can see why non-fans would be bemused by this, but as a backer I'm satisfied that it's finally come together. It looks like a Shenmue game!

ManiLink

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
As a long time Shenmue fan this looks like exactly what I want... I don't understand the hate... Shenmue is about suprising story beats and characters that have heart - it definitely has its own unique art style and a super nice colour palette. I honestly can't wait for this.. It has been a long time coming. I love the direction here. So glad it hasn't turned into some cookie cutter open world game or David Cage/Souls Wannabe. Staying true to a game for the fans. :) Day 1.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
People hate on EGS more than they like/hate Shenmue 3. That thread is ending up with thousands of more posts than this, the actual trailer topic.

Whats so bad about graphics outside of animations that still need some work?

I'd say it ooks very floaty and animations are looking bad as they have since it's reveal. It's better but still far from good.. I dont have faith in them fixing this sadly. If they can at least fix so the dubbing doesnt look absolutely horrible that would be fine, if I ever do play this, hopefully it can be played with japanese vocals and english text. Would make it instantly better, at least for me.