• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
12-15 for linear games, 30 for open world. Some exceptions. This should be the standard.

140 hours for a single Assassin's Creed game is fucking outrageous.
Odyssey doesn't take near that amount to finish, that is completionist territory, including DLC. The main campaign is roughly 40 hours.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
After playing through Last of Us 2: fucking same.

Man The Last of Us 2 isn't part of this. The game is 25 hours with basically no real side content. But it isn't paced badly at all. There's a reason it's that long. This is more like a Death Stranding/Days Gone issue. Specifically games that shoot to tell a story but also have an open world structure for no reason other than that it's bigger. Death Stranding is a 20 hour story told over 40 hours. So is Days Gone.

It's plain as day to see a game that is padded out unnecessarily. The Last of Us Part II is not one of them.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
With very, very few exceptions, I won't buy any game north of £20 nowadays, so perceived length value isn't an issue for me. I'd welcome tighter experiences.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
For the most part, my sweet spot for a game is between 8-12 hours. So yeah Shawn, I agree.

That doesnt mean I dont like the juggernaught game from time to time.. but more often than not. ~10 hours is more than enough.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I think there's a place for longer, sprawling adventures, but personally I would love to see more games the length and design of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. That was perfect.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on replayability. If it is that show and I can replay it multiple times with different options, difficulties and extras? Hell yeah. That's why I love platformers so much. They're on the shorter side but their replay appeal? Amazing.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the difference between that and where we are today is filler anyway. Stop making everything action RPGs.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
He's absolutely right, and there's the question of how much does all the effort put in by designers get appreciated really? I've seen so many people on Youtube rush by all the wonderful environments in games like Bloodborne, get killed and then complain for ages. What good is attention to detail if nobody else is looking at it?

I hope this next generation uses it's improved systems to streamline development and create content in a timely and effective manner, rather than bloating everything up as it has done this generation. But that is highly unlikely.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Legacy launched at $39.99, which SM:MM has been officially (?) compared to. I imagine it will too.

well the OP seems to suggest that AAA games should be shorter to reduce production costs, and all else remains the same, including price.

I'm expecting miles morales to be full price because they know everyone picking up a PS5 this holiday will gladly pay up :p

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Cheaper games can be shorter, I have zero interest in paying 60 bucks for a game where any cost savings just equals more profit. I want Developers to be successful but my pocket always comes first.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want high quality content. I would prefer that be within 10-20 hours though. So yeah, I agree with Shawn.

The price posts in here are part of the reason why we get those super long games in the first place.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like both to co-exist.

I absolutely loved RE2 and I absolutely love TLOU2, there is enough space for both. I feel developers should decide for themselves what to push for - I get something different out of these games.

But no one should feel pressured into making bigger and bigger games. RE2 clearly proves you can make a fantastic 8 hour long game. It's probably my favorite game this gen.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Sure but don't sell them for $60/€60 if there is only 12 hours of content.
Why? A shorter game would help development be smoother so that crunch could be reduced. If the quality if there, paying full price for it is fine to sustain a model that mitigates crunch. Not all games have to last tens of hours to justify their price tag.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
www.gamesindustry.biz

Shawn Layden: "I would welcome a return to the 12 to 15 hour AAA game"

Former PlayStation executive Shawn Layden has called for the industry to examine the trend towards bigger and more expe…

Oh god, yes!, one of the reasons i've stopped playing games almost altogether before the pandemic was because a lot of the games i wanted to play were just too long and, for the time i had available, just made me feel like it wasn't worth the effort.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Not where I live (Finland). Early PS3 games could go even over 70€ (I remember seeing Heavenly Sword with price tag of 72.99€). PS4 games have been 60€ since the launch (actually a lot of PS2 games even costed 60€ here).

Spain here. 60€ PS4 games at launch is quite rare. Most go up to 70€ (in fact, if you go to Amazon Spain you'll see FIFA 20's original price was 71.99€). And in PSN full priced games are usually 70€.

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE

El precio de oferta especial anterior válido de 17-11-2023 a 27-11-2023 era €19.99. El mundo está controlado por la compañía Shinra, una corporación que genera energía mako a partir de la fuerza vital del planeta. En la ciudad de Midgar, el grupo anti-Shinra Avalancha decide tomar medidas...

store.playstation.com

EA SPORTS™ FIFA 20

Gracias al motor Frostbite™, EA SPORTS™ FIFA 20 para PlayStation®4 te muestra las dos caras del deporte rey: la prestigiosa competición profesional y el fútbol callejero más auténtico en la nueva experiencia EA SPORTS VOLTA. FIFA 20 innova en todos los aspectos con FOOTBALL INTELIGENCE, una platafor

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I find that often I miss that middle-ground between the huge AAA-timesinks and short, focused indie-titles.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes, please! I'm sick of all the content bloat to the point I don't even play very many AAA games anymore. Last I played was RE3 Remake and I loved it. Maybe that one was a little too short, but I definitely enjoyed the experience much more than if it was too long.

I miss the days when it was a rare thing that a game went on for more than 10-15 hours. Mostly j/RPGs. It was always nice to have such a game to fill out the Summer, but now far too many are too long.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't as about quantity, it is about quality. How much good content can you include?

~12 hours seems right for a single player game. Modern open world games should hence last about 14 minutes and the next Assassins Creed should have ended years ago.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I want a return to the 7-9 hour AAA game like the good ol Uncharted 2 days.

Completing a game in a single day of playing is no fun though.
It is if the game is good.
Not if the prices for games keep going up. Sorry.
Games haven't gone up in price in decades. Also length isn't quality, I'd happily pay the same money for a 4 hour game if it was amazing just like I get my money's worth paying $$ for a 2 hour movie at cinema.

Agreed. Most games have padding or filler that serve no purpose other than making it longer. A more focused game would be better even if it's shorter.

Prices have definitely gone up in Europe.
They haven't, I dunno how long you game but in Europe I remember when the euro was introduced in 2002 those PS2 games cost 59 to 69 euro, I remember paying 69 euro for THUG on GC.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Yep. One of the reason i hate open world games is because almost all of them are filled to the brim with bloat.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
12-15 for linear games, 30 for open world. Some exceptions. This should be the standard.

140 hours for a single Assassin's Creed game is fucking outrageous.
Amen to this.

I still haven't finished Odyssey because of just how much it keeps throwing at me. Been playing it off and on for the past couple of years now.

Last of Us Part 2 was well over 20 hours, which felt supremely unnecessary for the story they were trying to tell.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A 12-15 hour AAA game doesn't inherently have less work put into it than an open world game. Asking for a price reduction based on length is immensely insulting to the people in the industry.

200.gif

This place? I see that attitude everywhere.

I ain't everywhere, I'm here.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not buying something that short for $60, but I'm not really the target audience for AAA anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's obviously room for campaigns of varying length, and a game's value shouldn't be dinged if it's 14 hours vs one that's 30 hours.

That being said, to those of you lamenting TLOU2's length, maybe you're unhappy because you burned through a 25-30 hour game in one weekend. Like, that seems very intense to me, to say the least.

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Man The Last of Us 2 isn't part of this. The game is 25 hours with basically no real side content. But it isn't paced badly at all. There's a reason it's that long. This is more like a Death Stranding/Days Gone issue. Specifically games that shoot to tell a story but also have an open world structure for no reason other than that it's bigger. Death Stranding is a 20 hour story told over 40 hours. So is Days Gone.

It's plain as day to see a game that is padded out unnecessarily. The Last of Us Part II is not one of them.

Death Stranding had great Pacing as well the open world was apart of the story telling. Now Days gone on the other hand would have been great if it was just a open world Dead Rising with a serious overtone. Studio Bend please just steal that Idea. I would love a high quality dead rising type game.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please, some of these games have no business being as long as they are.

Just give me a solid well told story and I'll be happy to buy.

Bigger or longer isn't always better.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
14 hrs into TLOU2 and not even halfway done. Wide linear is the future. 👏
I dont think it should be a default blanket response to open world design that trended for a lot of the past decade, but it makes sense for open world AND narrative driven games being made in the AAA pipeline to be unsustainable.

17 hrs into TLOU2 its wide linear is hit or miss (mostly hit) for me. I have to play more, but I prefer GOW2018's wide linear so far.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i can agree to a point, mostly because i'm old and prefer linear to open world.

like i like the gears 5 linear portions a lot better than the open world, and preferred the whole game to just be linear. the linear portions also looked exquisite.

that said this is a non existent or self limiting/correcting problem. studios will not make things that dont make profit.

also, there are all kinds of indies and other games of every conceivable shape, size, and length to scratch that shorter story itch.

anyways this comes up every few years seems like. i remember cliffyb and/or epic complaining about it years ago. gaming marches on regardless, and zillions of games constantly get made, and they wouldn't if they weren't making profit.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but don't expect me to pay full price. I'd rather they move on from the goal of photorealistic graphics and reduce marketing expenses in order to cut costs rather than drastically cut game length.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree, but good luck convincing people to pay $60 for a 10 hour campaign.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I agree totally. I don't always need 30+ hour games. Games like Lost Legacy and even RE3 were perfectly fine with me.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
In general, no thanks. I tend to prefer a longer experience, as long as it's remotely justified. But then, I'm a guy who looks at Persona 5 Royal's 100-120 hour playtime and sees that as a great thing, so.

Wouldn't mind a few shorter games every now and then, though. There's room for both in the gaming landscape.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Plus the price is related to the bloat, they price it to ensure they make money, based on their expense in developing a 3 to 5 year AAA game. That's salary and other overhead. If a game can be made in 2 years, the cost will reduce accordingly, and could be priced cheaper.