• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man: Miles Morales should be about a 15 hour game, I think we'll start seeing more of these in the future.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Most of us don't play a game for 12 hours non-stop in a day. Would take me a couple of weeks with life commitments and a bit of Rocket League in between. And there are so many good games these days, I'm happy to move on to something new.

Same. I hate rushing through games like that.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I used to be very dollar/hour focused, due to money being tight. However within the last couple of years I have shifted that stance...there are just too many huge AAA games just filled to the brim with pointless filler. I would must rather play for a tighter, 10-20 hour long DOABLE experience.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Yeah people who think a game needs to be a certain length to justify $60 - YIKES. It's not just about content length people.

Well for some of us it's definitely a factor. I know I don't have unlimited gaming funds, if a title can keep me entertained for a couple weeks vs a couple days, I'd be an idiot not to consider that in my purchasing decisions.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Most AAA are well bellow that, especially first person shooters. I think most are ok if open word games are 30-40 hours. Right now I'm 22 hours in to the last of us 2, and the time seems just about right for a linear AAA game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the time to be saying this was about a decade ago, when the few people saying stuff like this were shouted down.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Strange comment coming from him as he presumably had a hand in green lighting most of the 1st party projects this gen, most of which have been long games. Not saying he's necessarily being hypocritical, it's just an odd stance considering the source.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm sure it's tough trying to make people happy when some people want a 12 hour game and others want 100+ hours. And always people complaining that 12-15 hour games they finish in a day. That's... not normal at all for 99.9% of the population.

Anyway, I agree with Shawn here.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I've been saying this for years. They could make more polished experiences, or just release games more often, if they made them shorter. Lower the price a bit and we're good. I don't need all my games to be 30+ hours. In fact, I appreciate shorter games more, lately.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Most of us don't play a game for 12 hours non-stop in a day. Would take me a couple of weeks with life commitments and a bit of Rocket League in between. And there are so many good games these days, I'm happy to move on to something new.

This is where I am at. Between FF14 and just life in general I don't have the time nor attention span to play the same 80 hour long AAA open world game because it would take me actually months to do so. I will make exceptions for series I really enjoy, like Persona, but thats about it. I usually only like to play a game for an hour or two at a time, so these games just take forever, and it is worse when a really enjoyable story is stretched out over that time too. And in the time it would take me to finally beat one big game, many smaller ones would have released; which only furthers my waning interest.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completing a game in a single day of playing is no fun though.
But that's not typical of a general gamer, it would also mean shorter dev time. A 15 hr game takes me weeks to beat as I can't really sit and play for hours at a time. And there's so much to play that I have to slot these games in.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_p6ao55QUAz1s9fn3ko1_400.gifv

Capcom's been good with that, lately.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
So would I, but I appreciate that (as a husband and a father with some disposable income but vanishingly little free time) my needs differ from a lot of other gamers.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Strange comment coming from him as he presumably had a hand in green lighting most of the 1st party projects this gen, most of which have been long games. Not saying he's necessarily being hypocritical, it's just an odd stance considering the source.
Hindsight is 20/20. He's looking at it as a former exec, and probably would do it differently if he was still at PlayStation.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
The thing is though, most people (beyond this forum and my personal experience) that play games care about how much time do they spend on the game if they spend full 60 USD / 80 CAD on the game rather than appreciate the amount of craft that goes into them.

So if they see a game that is 10 hours but they pay full price, they'll dunk on that fact. And the prices won't go down either because the production costs keep going up and up.

For open world games, 50h+ is fine because you need time to explore the world. For narrative driven games, 12-15h is perfect. But open world games and narrative games are compared on the same level so bloat is necessary to justify the price.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Most games have padding or filler that serve no purpose other than making it longer. A more focused game would be better even if it's shorter.

Prices have definitely gone up in Europe.

Not where I live (Finland). Early PS3 games could go even over 70€ (I remember seeing Heavenly Sword with price tag of 72.99€). PS4 games have been 60€ since the launch (actually a lot of PS2 games even costed 60€ here).

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would welcome that. With some exceptions of course. And stop the fucking grinding for Platinums where you have to repeat the same patterns over and over again. That's not an achievement for me. That's a waste of time.

And 12-15h games would really fit the dynamics of the present time right now. Attention span is r

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Make it as big as the story demands it to

Always

Some games like COD campaigns are perfect at 5h length

God of War length was also impecable, despite being a "long" singleplayer game

I just dont like bloat. Devs only have to be smart about it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
As if people won't bitch about games being too short

we're going to see it A LOT with spider-man miles morales. I guarantee it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yep. The longer a game is, the less likely I am to give it a chance. Time is a bigger issue than hours/dollar for me. I prefer a focused, well-paced 10-hour game to a padded-out 100 hour open-world monster.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Unnecessary bloat is a plague that should be erradicated, it even tarnished franchises that were always almost perfectly paced like Mario. Odyssey could have less than half the moons and it would be a far better game if it did, it didn't need 880 forgettable objectives in a checklist to justify the price tag.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Im ok with 15/20hs games but they have to nail replayability
Today most AAA SP games dont give you reason to keep playing it after you are done.

Also, 60usd is a lot of money for people outside of NA and EU.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I welcome this. Working full time, wife, kids and other responsibilities means I get one to two hours of game time per week. I stopped buying games that require more than 20 hours of game time.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To those using TLOU2 as an example of a game with filler and bloat - pick a better example, 'cause this ain't it. Not since Resident Evil 4 has a non-open world AAA action game fully justified its longer than average runtime.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting take by Layden. New entries in Sony franchises increased dramatically in playtime while he was CEO of SCEA. I guess he also had to give in.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I agree with him. Just charge $40 so the expectation isn't there. Or include them in a subscription service like Game Pass. Not saying we shouldn't have these huge expensive games, but it'd be nice if every game didn't try to do it. I like completing games too.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Honestly, I wouldn't mind. Games need to pace themselves better and know when to end.

For example, I still hold Chrono Trigger as a paragon of JRPGs, but you know what it also is? A short JRPG. 20-25 hours and you're done.

It's much rather have a short, better experience than a long padded one. Unless, of course, the long experience is the point. A slow burn game made to deliberately be slow? That's fair, too. But they don't all have to be this long. Go long if you need to, keep it only as long as you have to otherwise.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
A 12-15 hour AAA game doesn't inherently have less work put into it than an open world game. Asking for a price reduction based on length is immensely insulting to the people in the industry.