• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I'm kinda sad they started off with the bus action scene because it was straight fire and nothing else comes close afterwards.

Awesome movie!

Jun 17, 2019
Okay question does anyone think that Fin Fang Foom is going to show up in either the sequel or become the main antagonist for Phase 4? Given that the Muklaun's are the ones that made the rings in the comics and are giant space dragons, . So I have to wonder if the rings are the size that they are is because they're supposed to fit the hand of said space dragons.

I mean how cool would it be to see the Avengers taking on Fin Fang Foom in an all out brawl!

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Okay question does anyone think that Fin Fang Foom is going to show up in either the sequel or become the main antagonist for Phase 4? Given that the Muklaun's are the ones that made the rings in the comics and are giant space dragons, . So I have to wonder if the rings are the size that they are is because they're supposed to fit the hand of said space dragons.

I mean how cool would it be to see the Avengers taking on Fin Fang Foom in an all out brawl!

This movie showed us we'd rather see a bus fight scene vs some huge dragon battle.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Saw this last night. First trip to the cinema since Covid began \o/. New dune and bond trailers/hype as wetted my appetite so thought I start going back now. Cinema was about a third full so plenty of space and felt quite comfortable.

As for the film, A mixed bag for me. The fighting in this is outstanding, really liked the score and sometimes it looks great too. Also appreciate they tried to do the full martial arts epic too. There is a lot to like about the film.. Just, I felt at times it was a little obnoxious especially when it didn't need to be. It kinda of leans into hero and crouching tiger whilst also leaning to modem American comedies and obvious merchandising opportunities. The film has been praised by a lot of people for this, and some of the stuff is quite funny (A returning character pretending to be dead tickled me) and good fun but at times it felt a little tonally awkward or the latter kinda breaks up the flow of the movie sometimes for me. They didn't quite mesh.

3.5/5 Provably just about scrapes into second tier marvel for me. Maybe a high 3. Still good fun though and it maybe one that settles a lot better on a second viewing

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
So "Careful how you speak to me, boy?" wasn't even in the movie? lol

Yo, I can't wait for more Shang-Chi. It was fun and Simu Liu/cast was kicking ass.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
They could change up the Makluans a bunch to keep it interesting maybe. They're very diverse in the comics, even Fraktur from the Nova corps is apparently Fin Fang Foom's cousin.
623319-004.jpg

Barring that it might be kind of cool to see them do a riff on the Avengers World story where Shang-Chi used Pym Particles to fight a giant dragon hand to hand.
e4630284-054f-4785-8323-7ed374bd1b75-avengers-world-013-021.jpg

But yeah no matter how I slice it using the Makluans in a sequel seems like a retread in some way. Oh well, guess we'll see.

You know what, having Fractur be a villain for the Shang-Chi sequel is a very inspired choice that could actually work. A cosmic character is another excuse for a Captain Marvel cameo and having Fractur amalgamate with Fin Fang Foom like how Wenwu was the Mandarin and Zheng Zhu could work out for the best.

We already established the Nova Corps in Guardians of the Galaxy and Rhomann Deyy does know Carol Danvers based on a Captain Marvel promotional novel so there's already a foundation for this to be a possibility.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering what Asian people think of all the Asian themes/elements/mythology in the movie. Is it done properly? I really enjoyed it all but at times I was wondering if it was doing too much and cranked all the Asian elements to 110%.

It reminded me a bit of the Holland Scene in Spiderman Far From Home. This wasn't necessarily an inaccurate portrayal (just a little bit) of The Netherlands but it was extremely over the top and cringy. So I'm curious what the general consensus is about the Asian themes.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why did Wong need to bring Katy at the end? Just because he's a sidekick too and he feels her pain?

:P

No really though, what would be his in canon reason?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Surprised at how much Awkwafina is in the film. Literally every scene. Bus fight, all of fight club stuff, the family dinner table, all finale stuff and even post credits. I expected her to be the quirky side character friend who you show up, go away then come back later on.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Why did Wong need to bring Katy at the end? Just because he's a sidekick too and he feels her pain?

She was there when everything went down, she might have some knowledge or insights, and she's gonna be affected by her friend's rise to superherodom

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Saw it a 2nd time and it was even better. Took some friends and some thought it was good, but didn't like the final cg battle, and the rest thought it was S-tier that sits amongst the best MCU offerings.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
So "Careful how you speak to me, boy?" wasn't even in the movie? lol

Yo, I can't wait for more Shang-Chi. It was fun and Simu Liu/cast was kicking ass.

Yeah I honestly was waiting for that line lol. Tony Leung said in an interview the dinner scene is much longer so I hope to see some deleted scenes when it's up on D+.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

I'm all for the Mukluans showing up, but there's no well in hell they'll keep the racist name in Fin Fang Foom.

It's no better than getting "Ching Chong"s from random racists on the street.

Last edited:

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Probably out of respect since she fought along side him in a battle to save the world.

Also, the movie shows how women are dismissed through his sister being ignored by her father even after she built an empire. This was a nice way to go against that trope I thought.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I saw the movie last night with my brother. I thought it was amazing! It's easily one of my favorite standalone MCU films, alongside The Winter Soldier, Guardians Vol. 1, and Far From Home. I can't wait to see how Shang-Chi and Katy will fit in with the rest of the MCU characters.

I'm all for the Mukluans showing up, but there's no well in hell they'll keep the racist name in Fin Fang Foom.

It's no better than getting "Ching Chong"s from random racists on the street.

Is that how racist the name is? I've always thought it was a play on "fee fi fo fum" from Jack and The Beanstalk.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is that how racist the name is? I've always thought it was a play on "fee fi fo fum" from Jack and The Beanstalk.
Stan Lee came up with the name after being inspired by the memories of a British Orientalist play, Chu Chin Chow, which… yeah. Alliteration is great, but when you've been taunted throughout your childhood with alliterative jibberish, it's not great.

Fin Fang Foom is straight up an attempt at trying to create a Chinese sounding name. While there's some room to make Shang-Chi work in Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom is an absolute no go. Only "Fang" is salvageable if they absolutely needed to keep the name for some reason (which I doubt they do).

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at how much Awkwafina is in the film. Literally every scene. Bus fight, all of fight club stuff, the family dinner table, all finale stuff and even post credits. I expected her to be the quirky side character friend who you show up, go away then come back later on.
Really seems like they're setting her up to be his War Machine or Bucky

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Movie was good, wish it leaned more away from the MCU structure but that's not fair to the movie. I really wish they expanded more on Blonsky and Wong, I felt like I missed something when it was over and they just disappeared back into wherever they portaled to.

It looks like Wong is trying to rehabilitate him? It seems like he was using the fighting arena as a safe place to help him learn to control his rage.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Stan Lee came up with the name after being inspired by the memories of a British Orientalist play, Chu Chin Chow, which… yeah. Alliteration is great, but when you've been taunted throughout your childhood with alliterative jibberish, it's not great.

Fin Fang Foom is straight up an attempt at trying to create a Chinese sounding name. While there's some room to make Shang-Chi work in Mandarin, Fin Fang Foom is an absolute no go. Only "Fang" is salvageable if they absolutely needed to keep the name for some reason (which I doubt they do).

So I've brought it up elsewhere but to bring it up here: yes, Fin Fang Foom is indisputably caked to hell in racist thinking. They gave a bad attempt at a Chinese-ish name to a Western-style dragon, literally no part of this is right. But for a lot of old-school comic book fans he's an instantly-recognizable part of the outright absurdity of comic books (he's straight-up the most iconic of Kirby's monsters) and while I know far better than to die on this hill I will fully admit it's a hard pill to swallow.

I say all that because I know just enough to know the "Fang" part is workable, and I would've figured "Fin" could've been bent into something more usable even if it isn't "Fin". And then of course there's "Foom" which is just...y'know. So I differ to those more knowledgeable to see if something can be hammered out into something not garbage, otherwise...yeah, I get it.

He said it to the old man at the beginning of the village raid. The trailer edited the placement of the line.

It's not the same line at all. Trailer has a very different line in English directly squarely at Shang-Chi whereas the line at the village raid is actually a clever use of a Chinese phrase.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
He said it to the old man at the beginning of the village raid. The trailer edited the placement of the line.
No, he didn't.

He said in Mandarin, "I have eaten more salt than you have eaten rice" (one of the most badass comeback lines in the MCU so far!), but the subtitles translated it as, "I have lived ten of your lifetimes"

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Name him Fuzanglong or Feilong or something

or make him a Yinglong and then he can have wings

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he could just be "Foom." He's an alien, it can be his alien name. Supposedly "Fin Fang Foom" means "He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun," which is of course absolute nonsense, but maybe something actually similar to that translation could work. I dunno.
latest

Funny enough, he did appear in an (unfinished) Iron Man miniseries written by Jon Favreau and illustrated by Adi Granov (who did concept work for the original Iron Man film), and I thought his design was pretty cool.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Maybe he could just be "Foom." He's an alien, it can be his alien name. Supposedly "Fin Fang Foom" means "He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun," which is of course absolute nonsense, but maybe something actually similar to that translation could work. I dunno.
latest

Funny enough, he did appear in an (unfinished) Iron Man miniseries written by Jon Favreau and illustrated by Adi Granov (who did concept work for the original Iron Man film), and I thought his design was pretty cool.

dying at the thought of MCU tony fighting a space dragon and not even remembering to bring it up later

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. Absolutely loved the movie. Though as a white suburban guy I probably missed out on some things/ issues?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what do you feel like you missed out on?
Not sure, was afraid there might have been something offensive I wasn't aware of (Like the red hair thing, I would have NEVER knew about that) Hearing Chinese audiences aren't too hot on the film. Though reading the thread it seems that may not be the case now.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Such a good film, i'm glad they captured the martial arts HK style, especially the scaffolding scene. Pretty cool seeing macau in a film, spotted some places i've been! My mate who is a die hard Marvel fan said it was top tier and in his top 5 MCU!

The Karaoke stuff reminded me of myself 10 years ago! Similar song selection as well, i guess thats something ABC's and us BBC's have in common!