• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be a long time before they stop making new call of duty games.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I expected Minecraft to be higher given it isn't a franchise that's split between multiple games.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when people thought CoD's popularity will greatly wane this generation?

tenor.gif

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Kojima was right after all.

Dec 11, 2017
Minecraft is the best selling game of all time, right? Like 176 million copies or something crazy? Is it international sales or phone versions or something that are a huge chunk of those sales, explaining why it's only #10?

TriGen

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people thought CoD's popularity will greatly wane this generation?

tenor.gif
Yeah, right before PS4 and XBO there was so much talk that it would die or at the very least decline under a 10 million annual seller, but nope. I thought it was crazy at the time. Too many people were saying that just because when COD showed up during any presentation it felt like a bathroom break, but that was just the vocal minority. You don't need to be a GOTY contender to sell a ton.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Minecraft is the best selling game of all time, right? Like 176 million copies or something crazy? Is it international sales or phone versions or something that are a huge chunk of those sales, explaining why it's only #10?
Chart is revenue based, and Minecraft is sold at around 20$ (less on mobile, more on console)

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Makes me wonder what would happen if they took a year break. Pray for Treyarch.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
That's fucking sad, man. I can't even drop a smart-ass, judgmental comment either, because I bought three of those CoD games. Strangely though, I haven't bought any of the other games in the top 10.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I own GTA V, RDR2 and Minecraft from that top 10 of the decade but I've only actually played Minecraft.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Always nice to go back to the old site and see all those terrible takes on the Minecraft purchase by MS in 2014. I'll paraphrase my favorite.

"Minecraft has already reached its peak a long time ago. 2.5 billion is way too much."

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Call of Duty since BO1 but you can't deny how huge these games are. I hate seeing people dismiss them as they're not deserving games. Reminds me of the whole "MCU isn't true cinema" shit. People are obviously getting enjoyment out of them whether you think they're trash or not. They obviously do something right to keep fans coming back to them over and over.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man, GTA IV was beat out by games on single platforms. GTAV is such a fucking monster. Incredible.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Modern Warfare was #12 (counting what, two months of sales?), insanity

I bought ever game on that list except for GTAV and Black Ops IIII lol

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I'm not a big CoD fan, but the sense of superiority I see on some gaming groups acting as if CoD players are dumb is kinda cringe...

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not that it means anything but last i personally knew anybody jazzed about CoD was MW3/blops1. i can't believe it has a sustained grip on the industry's balls like it does

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting how a stale annual franchise keeps selling gangbusters even with shitty business practices (IE, lootboxes/microtransactions) and yet for some reason other franchises need to evolve/innovate to hold interest.

I'm not a big CoD fan, but the sense of superiority I see on some gaming groups acting as if CoD players are dumb is kinda cringe...

I mean, when every year COD fans repeat the cycle of complaining the newest game sucked and\or hate the shitty post game business practices that are implemented only to fall for the same exact hype when the new game is announced, that sure does say something.

And don't get me started on some of my friends who absolve Activision of Blizzards treatment regarding the pro-hong kong protest.

Last edited: