• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Any tips for
O'Rin of the water
?
You can get one free deathblow by standing behind her and throwing a ceramic shard at her back, whilst stunned the deathblow red dot will appear. You can also do it by jumping on her head, but that's more finicky to me.

After that, it's mainly about building up her posture. You can get some hits in with divine confetti but not needed, the main thing is just to deflect her attacks until her posture breaks.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips for
O'Rin of the water
?
just deflect everything. Subimaru can poison her, but it's easy enough to perfect deflect her, as, even though she's aggressive, her attacks have a slow pattern that's easy to react to. Just be wary about healing, as she can close distance really quickly.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
if you're willing to spend hours on the same boss at multiple points in your playthrough, Sekiro might be worth checking out. The biggest factor is your tolerance for failure and repetition.

If you can only play on a base console, you might want to skip the game altogether. You'll experience a lot of missed inputs due to performance issues, and you won't be happy about it.

1) I'm not willing to put up with extreme difficulty anymore. My tolerance for Bloodborne's difficulty was an anomaly.
2) Base console only.

Thanks for saving me $60.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
1) I'm not willing to put up with extreme difficulty anymore. My tolerance for Bloodborne's difficulty was an anomaly.
2) Base console only.

I think Bloodborne is harder, but yeah YMMV.

Sekiro is insane without the charm (basically hard mode) but vanilla NG is incredibly forgiving vs. Souls.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
2) Base console only.

No problem. Definitely still check out some gameplay on Youtube or Twitch to see if the presentation wins you over. It's a cool game.

This is a decent playthrough that represents what to expect pretty well, I think. The player currently holds the world record in the any% category, at 22:57, but in his first playthrough he has plenty of trouble against the usual suspects, like the second miniboss, Chained Ogre, lol.

It's possible, though unlikely, that you'd be one of those players who doesn't struggle with the combat that much. The only player I've personally seen who didn't have much trouble is Aris. He beat one of the hardest bosses in the game on his first try, wtf. (LATE GAME BOSS SPOILERS) And kind of cruised through everything else, with a few exceptions. But then, he was a pro fighting game player for a while, and his Tekken 7 experience probably gave him an advantage in terms of reading and reacting to attacks. Also he's on the PC version, so...

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
*Dies with almost zero exp and 20 sen in my pocket*

Unseen Aid: Don't worry, I got you fam

*Dies with almost a full bar of exp and 3000 sen*

Unseen Aid: ...

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info. Frustrating to know that the boss is now even more difficult. :(

It's definitely not 'sooner'. I've lost on this boss 50+ times. I'm bad at these games, and Sekiro has particularly poor feedback for timing success vs early/late.

Should I really be grinding for skills? It seems like a really dull way to play.
No, there's no reason to grind for skills at all, they aren't going to help you nearly as much as getting the deflect timing down for a boss.

With Lady Butterfly instead of using snap seeds just run away from the phantoms and hide behind a pillar when they turn into homing projectiles. Once they're gone you can focus on LB until she summons more.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
*Dies with almost zero exp and 20 sen in my pocket*

Unseen Aid: Don't worry, I got you fam

*Dies with almost a full bar of exp and 3000 sen*

Unseen Aid: ...
Seriously. Unseen Aid seemed to proc for me all the time (even consecutively) during boss tries when I had nothing to lose and it was 6% or something, then those times when I thought "I'm good here, no need to spend/xp farm" and I died and didn't get it with full %. :|

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Seriously. Unseen Aid seemed to proc for me all the time (even consecutively) during boss tries when I had nothing to lose and it was 6% or something, then those times when I thought "I'm good here, no need to spend/xp farm" and I died and didn't get it with full %. :|
Dude, I got it FOUR TIMES in a row once and I had NOTHING on me

This game is rigged

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on a 1X and the performance is less than ideal even there. People should be informed about it. I've played through the entire game and shared my impressions in detail in this thread, and I know I'm not the only one who noticed performance related control issues.

So I wonder if the advice of an experienced action game player, who stuck with Sekiro in spite of a lot of frustrations, should be dismissed as a "clear exaggeration" despite a series of thorough and specific posts where I go over exactly what my problems were. Now, some of those posts do contain "clear exaggerations," but who would complain about that as long as they're, you know, clear?

It is not at all an exaggeration to say that Sekiro's console versions have documented performance issues that interfere with deflection timings. That's just a fact. I'm glad it didn't get in the way of your personal enjoyment. Wish I could say the same for myself.

Then if you played the game on 1X why are you advising people to skip the game altogether on base consoles?

Base consoles have locked framerate unlike 1X and PS4P. As someone who can't stand unlocked framerates I'm glad I have this version instead of 1X for example. PS4P is also bad but at least it has a higher average framerate when compared to 1X (not counting with that 120hz option).

Sekiro is the best performing From game to date from my experience, seems a bit more solid than Bloodborne/DS3 overall. I understand that some people complain about the framepacing issue, but that's something present in all of them. If it didn't bother you in past games, it won't bother you here (at least it's that way in my case).

I'm sorry if it's making your experience less enjoyable in 1X, but advising people to not even bother with the base console versions because of it is a stretch.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Then if you played the game on 1X why are you advising people to skip the game altogether on base consoles?

Base consoles have locked framerate unlike 1X and PS4P. As someone who can't stand unlocked framerates I'm glad I have this version instead of 1X for example. PS4P is also bad but at least it has a higher average framerate when compared to 1X (not counting with that 120hz option).

Sekiro is the best performing From game to date from my experience, seems a bit more solid than Bloodborne/DS3 overall. I understand that some people complain about the framepacing issue, but that's something present in all of them. If it didn't bother you in past games, it won't bother you here (at least it's that way in my case).

I'm sorry if it's making your experience less enjoyable in 1X, but advising people to not even bother with the base console versions because of it is a stretch.
The other FromSoft games aren't nearly as fast or timing-dependent as Sekiro though. There are surges of movement that make the combat feel intense, but it's not as rapid and sustained as Sekiro's deflection and hit trading, which occurs in the majority of battles, excluding super weak mobs.

And I'm not just making claims about the base consoles out of thin air. That Digital Foundry video posted earlier in the thread documents significant (as in, consistent and noticeable) performance issues in all console versions. Evidently, whatever frame rate differences exist between the different consoles, none compare favorably to the much better performing PC version.

Oct 25, 2017

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I had to
lOyAHMb.jpg

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not confident in fighting the
drunkard again in hirata #2 and ashina
without the charm, that guy hits hard...

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily it was along the grind for the last skill points of every tree and there's loads of them. I must have cleared that Outskirts stairway over a 100 times farming XP.

How long did that take? Think I`m going to try doing that loop again before starting NG+++. I need 20 more skill points so I can imagine it taking a good while...

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So i've been playing the game but haven't fought a single
headless
yet. Just haven't accumulated that much divine confetti and as i understand it, that item is pretty key. Just don't want to go at one and use up half of what i got and die anyway. Gonna save all those dudes till the very end. Guess I'll miss out on those prayer beads for now.

oh and thanks Morrigan for making threadmarks. ;D

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
headless
yet. Just haven't accumulated that much divine confetti and as i understand it, that item is pretty key. Just don't want to go at one and use up half of what i got and die anyway. Gonna save all those dudes till the very end. Guess I'll miss out on those prayer beads for now.

No worries they don't give you prayer beads

EDIT: though one of the underwater ones guards a chest with one of them. You don't need confetti to kill those though and they are pretty easy

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
No, there's no reason to grind for skills at all, they aren't going to help you nearly as much as getting the deflect timing down for a boss.

With Lady Butterfly instead of using snap seeds just run away from the phantoms and hide behind a pillar when they turn into homing projectiles. Once they're gone you can focus on LB until she summons more.
I didn't know they did that!! Thanks for the tip.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
headless

oh and thanks Morrigan for making threadmarks. ;D
You can buy unlimited confetti late game so you can come to tackle them later. They are worth doing for the item drops.

Sh0k

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm hitting a huge wall on my first NG+. I'm trying to finish the Purification ending, I'm down to the last boss but I'm stuck for the last 4 days with no luck to beat him. I've tried everything and also following the same strategy on how I beat him the first time with no luck. I'm super close to drop the game at this point, super annoying, the jump from the regular play through to NG+ is huge.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
How long did that take? Think I`m going to try doing that loop again before starting NG+++. I need 20 more skill points so I can imagine it taking a good while...
I'm thinking around 5hrs+, can't remember the exact amount but it was boring enough to spread over a week. Each play session was at least an hour.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I think I'm hitting a huge wall on my first NG+. I'm trying to finish the Purification ending, I'm down to the last boss but I'm stuck for the last 4 days with no luck to beat him. I've tried everything and also following the same strategy on how I beat him the first time with no luck. I'm super close to drop the game at this point, super annoying, the jump from the regular play through to NG+ is huge.
Are you playing without Kuro's Charm?

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info. Frustrating to know that the boss is now even more difficult. :(

It's definitely not 'sooner'. I've lost on this boss 50+ times. I'm bad at these games, and Sekiro has particularly poor feedback for timing success vs early/late.

Should I really be grinding for skills? It seems like a really dull way to play.

There are certain skills you probably want to grind for at times, particularly ones that up your posture damage and effect of healing. The Double Ichimonji move skill is also pretty useful.

Beyond that its probably better to 'grind' for beads which you probably can do if you are at the castle by taking out minibosses and that could help you versus Lady B. If you have access to the posture damage latent skills I would also recommend trying to get them. More useful for the Ashina Castle boss than Lady B. She certainly can be beaten without snapseeds.....
You can either kill the apparitions which are pretty weak or run around and try to avoid them and then try to hide behind a post when they come at you. Main thing in the second phase is to stay on her and try to do damage - some find using the axe helpful to keep her from getting opportunities to summon and also if she goes in the air to summon you can hit her with a shuriken and she'll come down and won't summon. Snap seed approach is easiest, but they are rare until late game. So unless you have an old save file in the cloud you can overwrite your current play, it may be hard to find more.....there was one place early game where I got 3.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question about Hirita Estate late game
I am aware that you can go there again to fight a different version of Owl. I have beaten Father Owl at the Castle and working my way through Foutainhead at the moment. At what point will I be able to go there for the 2nd Owl fight, how do you access it?

Also, Endings question

I assume I have passed the point of no return on getting the Shura ending on my first playthrough. But can I get all other 3 the first time and at what point would I need to back up and lock in a save to do it? I am intending on fighting DOH and Owl 2.0.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It depends, but I'd say Dark Souls 3 is worse. I got all skill points naturally because I got all the endings the "normal way" through four playthroughs, so I wouldn't say they're designed to be gained through grind; it's just that many people seem to save scum and skip any additional playthroughs.
Yep, same.

People who bitch about the XP grind are exposed as save scummers ;)

Holy shit