• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just waiting to start the game for real (played for a little bit but I was finishing DMC5 and some other games). What's the consensus on patch 1.03? Harder? Easier? Should I play that version or keep it on 1.02?

No difficulty changes. Go with the newer one so certain consumables/combat arts are more balanced with their counterparts.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, I just got to
Owl (Father)
in NG+ after missing it in the previous run. Man, this is way harder than anything up to this point. I've melted all other bosses in NG+ but this really seems like a step up. Cool!

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit, I just got to
Owl (Father)
in NG+ after missing it in the previous run. Man, this is way harder than anything up to this point. I've melted all other bosses in NG+ but this really seems like a step up. Cool!

I put in an hour and a half against him last night could could even get through his first health bar. I was improving though so I'll get it eventually. Fun fight though

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still on the fence. If I enjoyed Bloodborne, but didn't like Dark Souls, would I enjoy Sekiro?
Hard to say based on that info. Sekiro is a very, very different game than Bloodborne in terms of tone and gameplay. They don't have that much in common besides the FromSoft-style UI and presentation.

If you thought Bloodborne was hard, Sekiro triples that. It's an extremely punishing game. As long as the Japanese setting appeals to you, and if you're willing to spend hours on the same boss at multiple points in your playthrough, Sekiro might be worth checking out. The biggest factor is your tolerance for failure and repetition.

Play on PC if you can. Supposedly the parry feels a lot more responsive than it does on consoles. Parrying is everything in this game. In the Xbox version (PS4 too, from what I've heard) you have to press the button earlier than the game tells you. Not when the attack is about to hit, but right when the windup starts. It's pretty demanding when you don't understand the enemy's attack patterns. Depending on your instincts from the other games you've played, that could really throw you off.

If you can only play on a base console, you might want to skip the game altogether. You'll experience a lot of missed inputs due to performance issues, and you won't be happy about it.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally able to talk after the whole Thanos incident. After defeating the worst enemy in the game
"The Grind"
, I was finally able to plat this. I loved the game and I will miss playing it. What I won't miss is fighting
Emma
, there is nothing gentle about this boss.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
One of the random things that just made me go huh was the the random people half buried with their lower halves sticking out of the ground in the Mibu Village. Like what?

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Has anyone tried playing BB, and the Souls games after playing Sekiro?

What do you think?

I started a new BB playthrough a couple days ago.(after sekiro)

The world design is absolutely incredible.The game is just a masterpiece. Game should give like a base amount of vials and bullets that recharges though.

Farming bullets and vials is a major (&only) weakness.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
The next OT subtitle HAS to be

Hesitation is defeat!

like someone said a few pages back. It encapsulates the game sooo well! If the game gets a 60fps boost mode on PS5 I will replay it, but the performance and parry timing issues especially on the last boss fight soured the game a bit for me. Especially after booting up REmake2 after finally beating the last boss of Sekiro. The smoothness and input lag difference is just staggering!

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
webISno.png

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I got the plat. Overall, I really enjoyed it but think it's lower-tier From. It's really short on subsequent playthroughs and, I feel there's not enough enemy / location variety. Some fucking hard bosses. Fuck
Isshin
on NG++.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
TFW you die to Mist Noble

I love the flute at the end, haha

The dreaded Mist Noble takes another victim. Even a player of Dist's caliber can't escape his slimy clutches.

FromSoft, pls patch.

These are the responses you get when you go against the lethal unparriable combo of git gud+PC gaming applied to From Software games, my mate. You can't have valid reasons, only excuses. I wouldn't waste any more breath on this, which is why I kept away from the thread as much as I could.
Lol, apparently. It's fine though, anyone can read my experiences and write me off as some limp-fingered scrub, but I have the small advantage of actually being there for all the times the parry system's issues interfered with my run.

When you've been playing action games for a couple decades, it's easy enough to tell when a timing-based mechanic functions well or not.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the game again tonight. This time I went for the
Shura
ending. Surprisingly, it only took three tries. I didn't have all the moves learned so the
Isshin
phases were sloppy, but I got the bastard, lol.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
If you can only play on a base console, you might want to skip the game altogether. You'll experience a lot of missed inputs due to performance issues, and you won't be happy about it.

As someone who played in a base PS4, had and is still having a lot of fun with the game without the performance ever getting in the way of my enjoyment, I hope no one takes this advice seriously. This is a clear exaggeration.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to hate this game lol.
I've finished the game on PC, now I'm going for the platinum on PS4. I've killed every boss on NG and NG+, now I'm on NG++ for the Shura ending and fuck it, I can't kill
Isshin Ashina. The damage it's insane, I was at one hit to kill him and nope, fuck his sword.
What's the point of NG+ if I'll be forever weak?
Funny thing is that Shura ending was my first ending on PC hahah.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I got all the endings while I was banned (due to the snap). I did my first playthrough completely blind (except for like 2 vague hints in this thread early), but save scummed for the other endings and then got the last one on NG2+. Overall it was a great ride and I think this game is just below BB for me because the combat is just so satisfying.

But, I'm not an achievement person so I won't actually be going for the all skills thing. F that shit, nobody's got time to grind mobs for that. I noticed that one of the skills requires 9 points. That's like almost an entire play through I think at this point. No TY.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who played in a base PS4, had and is still having a lot of fun with the game without the performance ever getting in the way of my enjoyment, I hope no one takes this advice seriously. This is a clear exaggeration.
I'm on a 1X and the performance is less than ideal even there. People should be informed about it. I've played through the entire game and shared my impressions in detail in this thread, and I know I'm not the only one who noticed performance related control issues.

So I wonder if the advice of an experienced action game player, who stuck with Sekiro in spite of a lot of frustrations, should be dismissed as a "clear exaggeration" despite a series of thorough and specific posts where I go over exactly what my problems were. Now, some of those posts do contain "clear exaggerations," but who would complain about that as long as they're, you know, clear?

It is not at all an exaggeration to say that Sekiro's console versions have documented performance issues that interfere with deflection timings. That's just a fact. I'm glad it didn't get in the way of your personal enjoyment. Wish I could say the same for myself.

The next OT subtitle HAS to be

Hesitation is defeat!

like someone said a few pages back. It encapsulates the game sooo well! If the game gets a 60fps boost mode on PS5 I will replay it, but the performance and parry timing issues especially on the last boss fight soured the game a bit for me. Especially after booting up REmake2 after finally beating the last boss of Sekiro. The smoothness and input lag difference is just staggering!

And I thought I was misinterpreting things.
It sometimes felt that the window for pressing circle or L1 was super small. I sometimes pressed the button a short time before the enemy's attack and nothing happened from my character. Felt super odd.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I'm learning the game all over again on charmless NG+++, things hit so hard especially with the chip damage, the best advantage I have is knowing where all the checkpoints are so I can run for it to keep my exp :P

1 on 1 is still fine but I can't deal with multiples.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Can anyone indefinitely answer this question about dragon rot? Does it accumulate over time if you choose not to heal and constantly dying?

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to hate this game lol.
I've finished the game on PC, now I'm going for the platinum on PS4. I've killed every boss on NG and NG+, now I'm on NG++ for the Shura ending and fuck it, I can't kill
Isshin Ashina. The damage it's insane, I was at one hit to kill him and nope, fuck his sword.
What's the point of NG+ if I'll be forever weak?
Funny thing is that Shura ending was my first ending on PC hahah.
Same here. I can beat the boss before that without getting hit but the Final Boss...is just garbage.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Any recommendations of wheee I can buy or find and Snapseeds or healing pellets? I wasted all of mine on my last attempt against
Lady Butterfly

I've already reached Ashina Castle.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations of wheee I can buy or find and Snapseeds or healing pellets? I wasted all of mine on my last attempt against
Lady Butterfly

I've already reached Ashina Castle.

You are out of luck with the seeds. You really don't need them though, in the scheme of the fight what you use them for is very minor.

More than that though plenty of bosses after have no such items to help. So it is a good chance to just level up and beat it the hard way (learn timing of parries), because you'll have to get to that point sooner rather than later.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So, how bad is the end game xp grinding compared to Dark Soul III's covenant item grinding for example?
As bad? Worse?

It depends, but I'd say Dark Souls 3 is worse. I got all skill points naturally because I got all the endings the "normal way" through four playthroughs, so I wouldn't say they're designed to be gained through grind; it's just that many people seem to save scum and skip any additional playthroughs.

Now, Dark Souls 3 is pretty ridiculous if you don't get the items through covenants, which is pretty difficult if the player pool is limited.

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
You are out of luck with the seeds. You really don't need them though, in the scheme of the fight what you use them for is very minor.

More than that though plenty of bosses after have no such items to help. So it is a good chance to just level up and beat it the hard way (learn timing of parries), because you'll have to get to that point sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the info. Frustrating to know that the boss is now even more difficult. :(

It's definitely not 'sooner'. I've lost on this boss 50+ times. I'm bad at these games, and Sekiro has particularly poor feedback for timing success vs early/late.

Should I really be grinding for skills? It seems like a really dull way to play.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Just platinumed it. Great game would score it 9/10. On NG+5 after finishing every ending and i think I'm done with the game now.

My only complaints are with the items/skills/prosthetics. I barely used any besides a few as it wasn't necessary to.

Other than that i loved every second of it and would put it in my top 5 games on ps4 alongside Bloodborne, God of War, Astrobot and MGSV

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
What's your idea regarding sequels/DLCs?

A Dishonored Death of the Outsider/Uncharted Lost Legacy style side game, set before the game with a playable Tomoe. Obviously shorter than the main game, and using quite a few of the same assets, but maybe a different season etc.

That'd be better for me then an Artorias of the Abyss "you time travel to the past"" DLC[./SPOILER]

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Ended a boss fight with an epic mikiri counter earlier, that was pretty fun.

This was my last boss to kill before
heading back to the silvergrass fields and seeing what all the fuss was about with the last boss. Yeah so the one-phase Genichiro re-fight was an obvious fakeout, as for Isshin .. Well, it's clearly gonna take a while, but I'm pretty sure I'll get him eventually. Almost broke his posture in the spear phase on one of my first tries, but then (as one does) I misread an attack and got killed from using the wrong counter move. Not gonna lie, the fight is a little frustrating because I really need to practice the spear phase, especially defending, as it feels like a completely different boss from the sword bit, but there's not really a lot of room for error on the way there.

Oct 29, 2017
Ended a boss fight with an epic mikiri counter earlier, that was pretty fun.

This was my last boss to kill before
heading back to the silvergrass fields and seeing what all the fuss was about with the last boss. Yeah so the one-phase Genichiro re-fight was an obvious fakeout, as for Isshin .. Well, it's clearly gonna take a while, but I'm pretty sure I'll get him eventually. Almost broke his posture in the spear phase on one of my first tries, but then (as one does) I misread an attack and got killed from using the wrong counter move. Not gonna lie, the fight is a little frustrating because I really need to practice the spear phase, especially defending, as it feels like a completely different boss from the sword bit, but there's not really a lot of room for error on the way there.

Nice clip. I'm getting him down to the second phase now but I'm not quite there yet