• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Man, structurally this is some of my favorite type of game design. Your first playthrough is so challenging and takes so long that it feels like a standard 30-50 hour game. But then you start a new save file and get through the game incredibly fast thanks to the way progress works. No overly long tutorials. Relatively open levels, so there's lots of areas you can skip. Progress based entirely around just going through levels and beating bosses with very few stops for cutscenes and such. Lots of optional stuff, sure, but there's no weird, dumb mandatory fetch quest-like stuff. You just start playing and the game moves along as fast as you're able to. If you know where you need to go and how to beat everything there's no extra stuff in your way. Just got from the beginning of the game to Gyoubu in like an hour. Speedruns of this game are really cool too. Sub 40 minutes even for glitchless runs. Souls games were fun, but a lot of the RPG stuff wasn't to my liking, so it's really nice to see these things applied to a game like Sekiro.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
the only other possibility that comes to mind is that sometimes it'll send you straight to true death if you fall to your death, but I don't think that's possible in any boss fights outside the last one

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh. Thing I just thought of.

Is the Divine Dragon also the Everblossom tree? It's missing an arm...

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally found and beat the first boss.

Took him down second try. He wasn't so bad after getting "trained" on how to fight by drunk dude. Between actually fighting properly and using the grappling hook gap closer + firecrackers (which are both awesome by the way), it wasn't hard to whittle down his health and posture bars.

It really helps to know that getting guard broken isn't the end of the world, and that getting guard broken is still vastly preferable to eating a hit in the face because you pressed block too late.

Found another shinobi dude who named me Sekiro and talked about killing rats, and bought another gourd seed. Not sure what that guy is on about, but I guess I'll find out later.

Oh, and WTF is with that giant snake sequence? That was really scary. One minute you're fighting humans and then suddenly, bam, myth-sized snake out of nowhere. Though I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, because it's FromSoft and I'm already playing a game with supernatural elements.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Final boss down after about 7 hours of attempts. I actually kicked his ass fairly handily in the end. Fantastic game, and current GOTY so far for me. It's the first FROM game that really felt like a significant progression since the original Dark Souls, and that may be the greatest compliment I could give the game. Really great stuff!
It's crazy how the final boss absolutely keeps kicking your ass for the first dozen tries, and then all of a sudden you hand him his ass over the moment you beat him, happened to me too :D

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How in the world do you get to the right hand side
of Fountainhead Palace? I can see a checkpoint over there but I can't find a way over to that side. I killed the guy on the tree throwing the lightning at you and now I can't figure out how to navigate the rest of the area.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
of Fountainhead Palace? I can see a checkpoint over there but I can't find a way over to that side. I killed the guy on the tree throwing the lightning at you and now I can't figure out how to navigate the rest of the area.

Jump into the water from the tree and dive, the rest should be pretty self revealing.

Oct 25, 2017
People always talk about games "clicking" (especially with Souls), but this is probably one of the biggest examples of that I've ever seen. It's not a gradual progression of skill at all. I banged and banged my head against a certain early boss, but once I beat them nothing else in the game came close to being that hard. And it seems like many others are having the same experience, though everybody's "wall" boss seems to be different.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm absolutely positive you're wrong.

e: yeah just looked through the footage. no revives. no status effects. this has happened a handful of times over a few different bosses.

The only way for that to happen is if you're killed by falling or getting knocked off into a pit. If you have HP left over, you get dropped back in the fight, but if that fall damage is enough to kill you, you just die with no opportunity to respawn.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it to phase 3 of the final boss. God in heaven this is difficult.

Anyone know what sort of improvements MS has made to the controller? All I've got is my original launch controller and the bumpers are just garbage. I'm convinced a solid 1.2% of my difficulties are those damn bumpers.
The bumpers were REALLY improved on their revisions in my opinion.
The original bumpers made some games unplayable for me.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Need help with
Genichiro
on top of Ashina Castle please. Tried watching a few guides, but nothing's clicking when it comes to facing him. Can't even get his first life bar gone.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Sounds very strange. Could you post the footage?
Deleted it because I'm running low on space but I'll post it when it happens again

It's happened against a few bosses, off the top of my head it's been: Owl 2, Ujinari Mizuo and one other I forgot

Only happens second phase and only if I don't use a revive in the first phase. If I revive, deathblow, and die again in phase two it's revive as normal. But if I beat the first phase with no revive, rarely the second phase will kill me straight to red.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Need help with
Genichiro
on top of Ashina Castle please. Tried watching a few guides, but nothing's clicking when it comes to facing him. Can't even get his first life bar gone.
Mashing L1 works wonders in this game if you didn't already know. Half the time you'll end up parrying an attack instead of blocking, especially during multi-hit combos. But you're also gonna have to learn to recognize his sweep and thrust attacks. For sweeps, jump and then press the jump button in the air again, you'll deal massive posture damage. For thrusts, you have to unlock the mikiri counter in the skill tree. You just need to press dodge, or forward-dodge. You'll stop the enemy on their tracks and deal a lot of posture damage.

DO NOT stay back, in this game you have to be up in the enemy's face. Always be on the offensive, but learn to memorize the difference between the sound of a regular block versus a parry. When he parries one of your attacks, stop your attack immediately and mash L1. If you feel iffy about mashing you can just hold L1.

Also, big ol protip: your posture bar decreases very quickly when you're guarding.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Man I find this game exhausting, and I've finished everything from Demon's through Dark 3.

Was going up the Senpou Temple yesterday and got to the idol in the main temple up top and I just need a big breather.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Deleted it because I'm running low on space but I'll post it when it happens again

It's happened against a few bosses, off the top of my head it's been: Owl 2, Ujinari Mizuo and one other I forgot

Only happens second phase and only if I don't use a revive in the first phase. If I revive, deathblow, and die again in phase two it's revive as normal. But if I beat the first phase with no revive, rarely the second phase will kill me straight to red.
I just can't imagine how this would be happening.
You always get a "free" res when respawning/resting, so if you didn't use it at all before their second phase, you should still be able to resurrect once.

Unless during the Death screen you're mashing L1 in frustration...haha

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I just can't imagine how this would be happening.
You always get a "free" res when respawning/resting, so if you didn't use it at all before their second phase, you should still be able to resurrect once.

Unless during the Death screen you're mashing L1 in frustration...haha
Nah the death screen goes to the red kanji, no accidental kill. I'm going straight from idol to boss after respawn and losing the revive/getting it blocked off.

and what a crazy coincidental time to delete all the footage!
Had the tail end of one fight from PS4 auto record and wanted to clear space to download the Zanki Zero demo. Why would I lie about and double down on (what seems to be) a glitch?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So, uh. Thing I just thought of.

Is the Divine Dragon also the Everblossom tree? It's missing an arm...
Yeah that seemed to be meph's theory here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...o-arigato-mr-robertooooo.108158/post-19674545
Go in the underwater cave, past the giant carp. You'll find grapple points that lead to that place.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man I find this game exhausting, and I've finished everything from Demon's through Dark 3.

Was going up the Senpou Temple yesterday and got to the idol in the main temple up top and I just need a big breather.

Same. I'm chugging away at the final boss, but really feel like saying fuck it. I'm not going 100% and there's nothing really left to explore.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
After rage quitting countless times and sending the game back to Gamefly only to have a nagging feeling that I needed to give it another go, I just beat Shinobi Hunter Enshin for the first time!!!! Key was a) realizing I could open that big door and skip a huge chunk of the stuff before him that I thought was unskippable and b mastering the Makiri Counter. Got him once just straight up stealth then Makiried him like it was nothing. Couldn't believe it.

Bertrob

Apr 9, 2018
Nah the death screen goes to the red kanji, no accidental kill. I'm going straight from idol to boss after respawn and losing the revive/getting it blocked off.

Had the tail end of one fight from PS4 auto record and wanted to clear space to download the Zanki Zero demo. Why would I lie about and double down on (what seems to be) a glitch?

I want to say this happened to me a few times. It was always situations where a boss essentially performed a death blow. Like if Owl manages to step on you while you're on the ground and then impale you. Maybe they just have some instakills that can't be revived from? (Or we just experienced a glitch)

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I want to say this happened to me a few times. It was always situations where a boss essentially performed a death blow. Like if Owl manages to step on you while you're on the ground and then impale you. Maybe they just have some instakills that can't be revived from? (Or we just experienced a glitch)
Interesting, I think that's what killed me too. Glad I'm not crazy lol

E: and Ujinari also impales I believe

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: posting unmarked spoilers
So is the Owl the hardest boss in the game? Because I honestly haven't had a problem with any boss or mini boss up to this point. I beat Lady Butterfly and Genichiro on my first try... Beat the ape on my second, but Owl is just fucking my shit up. His stagger meter barely fucking moves and he just crushes mine.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Man some of the bosses are complete pushovers when you understand the mechanics. This miniboss in the dark room just past the temple grounds idol was just demolished in 10 seconds flat.
All he does is standard attacks and a low sleep, so you just stand there spamming parry until the warning icon appears then you press X twice, his posture breaks in no time and he's dead.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is the Owl the hardest boss in the game? Because I honestly haven't had a problem with any boss or mini boss up to this point. I beat Lady Butterfly and Genichiro on my first try... Beat the ape on my second, but Owl is just fucking my shit up. His stagger meter barely fucking moves and he just crushes mine.
nope......

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But he IS considered pretty difficult right? I heard horror stories about Genichiro and Lady Butterfly and they weren't an issue at all. I somehow haven't heard anyone talk about Owl.
well hes pretty easy but
if you going for an specific ending you will have to fight him an second time and its an nightmare compare to his first fight. the fucker does all kinds of new moves that can trick you up.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
He's the boss I had the most trouble with. High health, lasts for ages, fucks your camera. You can turtle out the first fight with him, but the second one that would take so damn long.

Lady Butterfly easily cheesed

Genichiro is tough but fair. He doesn't have any bullshit and the camera plays nice

DoH is hard but goes down faster and Malcontent nullifies the final phase

Guardian Ape first phase is really annoying and maybe second or third hardest but the second phase is easily turtled out

Final boss is tough but 3 out of 4 of the phases can be posture broken really quickly if you're good

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
Owl and owl 2 were my toughest fights. Took awhile to learn damage opportunities to get his posture down in a timely manner, I tired forcing it for awhile but couldn't. I just had to be more patient than I wanted to.

Oct 27, 2017
He's the boss I had the most trouble with. High health, lasts for ages, fucks your camera. You can turtle out the first fight with him, but the second one that would take so damn long.
I think this is the issue. I've been mega aggressive so far and stagger times have been pretty short. Owl is the first boss where it's taking forever to stagger him.
Owl and owl 2 were my toughest fights. Took awhile to learn damage opportunities to get his posture down in a timely manner, I tired forcing it for awhile but couldn't. I just had to be more patient than I wanted to.
And I think this is the solution. I just have to not force it I suppose.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan

Hit his HP first, then hit his posture.

That overhead jump strike after two shuriken? Don't deflect or block it, dodge to the side and then hit him immediately.

I would suggest don't even bother deflecting (outside of defending yourself of course) until his HP is at least at 60 or 70%

Oct 27, 2017
Hit his HP first, then hit his posture.

That overhead jump strike after two shuriken? Don't deflect or block it, dodge to the side and then hit him immediately.
Thanks... yeah I'm seeing a lot more opportunities to get hits in. The issue is when he relentlessly attacks me I eventually fuck up a single parry (huge damage) or get staggered, which is basically a killing blow (unless you somehow roll out of the way).

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I think this is the issue. I've been mega aggressive so far and stagger times have been pretty short. Owl is the first boss where it's taking forever to stagger him.
Full proof but very slow strategy:

There's two attacks you can guaranteed punish with whirlwind slash. The two shuriken throw into high jump, dodge the high Slash to the right, free whirlwind. Then there's the attack where he runs at you at an angle to slash. Block it, punish, he'll drop a bomb but you can dodge back and right before it hits you.

Run away or block everything else. Don't attack any other time. You'll whittle his health down very slowly but safely.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Sculptor spoilers:
So Kingfisher was sculptors wife/SO right? And he had a partner who, together with kingfisher got killed by the guardian ape. Thats why the sculptor reacts that way when you bring him the slender fingers you got from killing the ape.

Also, after killing second guardian ape, there is a shichimen warrior in the cave that gives you kingfishers ring. Was that her spirit tied to the guardian ape?