• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly the kind of game I wish was on gamepass, or pay per hour, or something where there you're super interested but worried about it being unapproachable.

I kinda feel like if you are going to buy this, you should do so committing that you are going to spend the time on it and push through, giving it every effort to push through the frustration and give yourself a chance to get better at the controls.

I think paying per hour would just put additional pressure on it and it would be self-fulfilling that you would drop it early. I'm apprehensive too about the difficulty, but I'd rather have the money already invested and unlimited time to practice and get better as opposed to having an hourly rate hanging over my head. Gamepass though would be fine.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's a good point actually, didn't think of that. I'll concede defeat :p

Tbh, I wouldn't get too hung up on Dragonrot and Rot Essence early on anyways as Emma will eventually give you a Dragon's Blood Droplet. Still, you'd think From would make a somewhat important mechanic to the narrative a lot clearer and definitive. We shouldn't be sitting here having to guess how it works.

Concede defeat? About a Souls game? IMPOSSIBLE!!! Rise from your ashes and go back to the front line!!

To be serious, I don't know myself. Might be right, might be wrong, I just hope we will get the first serious results about it from the community really soon. For the obscurity of the mechanic on the storyline, well, it's a From game, that's what we should expect from them. They worked to make the overall story less obscure but they kinda like to have a huge part of their lore obscure and difficult to grasp.

I got the impression from her dialogue that when you run out of on-the-spot resurrections and come back anyway (i.e., respawning at a sculpture) that is the resurrection that draws life force from other people in the world. The on-the-spot resurrection draws power from the special blood within your character.

I just bring the point because it was obscure enough for me to make me question it when she said it. And because the mechanic, as I said earlier, would work better if it was linked to the resurrect option rather than on complete death. But as I said, I don't know myself and I'm just wondering if we will get complete breakdown from the community soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally reached the serpent. Nope...
2a1093_0dee1c90515249ce95e56e6c962f05ad~mv2.gif

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
The AI during stealth is also another drop in quality than what we're used to.

Loving this game a lot but we can criticize it where necessary. Fucking extremist fanboys. Also calling a game a PS2 game isn't terrible. I prefer MGS3 over MGS5. And Dragon Quest XI (PS2 as fuuuuu) is amazing.

Pragmatism is something you can't find in Era.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
The game seems a little too easy and handholdy after 2/3 hours. You can easily escape a fight, lots of spawn points and of course the revive option.

Overall I am enjoying it though, so far it's a 8-9/10 for me.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I love these shitty hot takes.
Not really.

I'm not going to lie... I am okay with that dig. The PS2 era was one where people were trying things, mixing it up, and making some really unique, great games. It is a wonderful era. So, a PS2 game that looks like a PS4 game, sorta sounds like a compliment to me. I don't think From software ever let that creative, experimental side of them (that was more common in the PS1/PS2 era) die. I sorta see it as a compliment.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Alright now that it's *actually* out, how are people feeling the difficulty? I get my copy later today after work. I'm a veteran of all the Souls games.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Concede defeat? About a Souls game? IMPOSSIBLE!!! Rise from your ashes and go back to the front line!!

To be serious, I don't know myself. Might be right, might be wrong, I just hope we will get the first serious results about it from the community really soon. For the obscurity of the mechanic on the storyline, well, it's a From game, that's what we should expect from them. They worked to make the overall story less obscure but they kinda like to have a huge part of their lore obscure and difficult to grasp.

I just bring the point because it was obscure enough for me to make me question it when she said it. And because the mechanic, as I said earlier, would work better if it was linked to the resurrect option rather than on complete death. But as I said, I don't know myself and I'm just wondering if we will get complete breakdown from the community soon.
Yeah, and it does seem easy enough to test early into the game. It's just who is going to take the time hit to test it when we all want to keep playing the game :P

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Meant to address this for someone earlier, but for those struggling with Mikiri Counter: you shouldn't have to press in any direction, just circle upon a thrust attack should allow you to counter it.

3 hours stuck at some mini spear boss dude

fuck me im never gonna complete this game
Same. I just don't understand how his attacks work. Wtf is the window for deflecting and does that one counter ninja skill even work on him?

So for this fight in particular (I'm assuming this is Shinobi Hunter in Hirata?) you're going to want to sneak a deathblow first from the bushes to the left. Mikiri counter the spear attack and you should be good.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I am so, so very ready to sink my teeth into this game. Put about an hour in before work today, and I can't wait to jump right back in.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a trick to those shield guys other than stand around for an hour waiting for them to finally attack?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Managed to beat
Gyobu
on my first try Wooo! Though I did have more than enough practice after spending 2-3 hours on Butterfly.

I thought I would have access to a certain prosthetic when fighting the boss based on the trailers but I got it afterwards. Weird. They even hinted that it would be very helpful just before I entered.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What is the best way to beat the Chained ogre?

Did you get the bell and go to the estate location yet? There's an item you can get there that gets you a prosthetic that is helpful with this fight.

It's still doable without though. Just gotta be patient and not get greedy with your attacks. First few times I died was cuz I got impatient . Kept trying to get a few extra hits in when al I needed was like a couple more timed dodges.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone found a good way or particular skill to kill those regular ogre-type enemies easily? One had a big hammer and the other one I've now come across has a long mace or something.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The AI during stealth is also another drop in quality than what we're used to.

Loving this game a lot but we can criticize it where necessary. Fucking extremist fanboys. Also calling a game a PS2 game isn't terrible. I prefer MGS3 over MGS5. And Dragon Quest XI (PS2 as fuuuuu) is amazing.

Pragmatism is something you can't find in Era.

Nothing wrong with comparing it to a PS2 game but specifically because there's no clothing choices? That's just silly.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I'll try out the axe. I actually forgot to go back and equip it after picking it up. Thanks guys.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Oh man, this looks awesome, but I'm legit put off by it's difficulty.
I barely have time to play a game straight through, much less spend the time replaying the same sections over and over to "git gud".

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
A big mindset change is being able to find the correct counter for everything - really makes you utilize all the skills you have. In DS or Bloodborne, you could effectively use the same strategy for the entire game.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Done with the Shinobi Hunter and the drunkard mini-bosses, on to Lady Butterfly, should be fun.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
User Banned (2 Days): Hostility and antagonizing other members
I love these shitty hot takes.
Not really.
hot take of the day award goes to hacker alias Stryder with: Sekiro is a ps2 game because you can't change your clothes.

Since when was calling a game a "PS2 game" an insult and not a way of conveying a lack of features we're used to today for the sake of certain gameplay elements that were ubiquitous of that era.

Fucking gamer philistines unable to actually comprehensively understand someone who isn't fawning all over whatever they like without feeling attacked.

I love the shitheels in Era.
Not fucking really

Dec 6, 2017
US
Has anyone found a good way or particular skill to kill those regular ogre-type enemies easily? One had a big hammer and the other one I've now come across has a long mace or something.

So far, I've let them all de-aggro if I managed to set them off and stealth-killed them. First hammer dude I drop-killed from a roof, it was fucking awesome. And god, their design is peak From hideousness.

Are items like Divine Grass and Withered Red Gourd one-time use only or do they refill at sculpturs?

Withered Red Gourd states it refills with "rest" aka at idols. Haven't tested it myself yet as I just got it but it does say it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
uh huh I said that too many hrs ago and here I am. Still playing. It's so satisfying killing these bosses

Granted I nvr platnuimed a Souls game. I think only games I platnuimed are Fighting Games only because after hundreds of hrs of playing I find it easy to just snag all the trophies
I can definitely see why this game would appeal to fighting game fans for sure.
Maybe I'll go back to it in a few months. I'm just not feeling that thrill that I had when I was being beaten to shit back in Demon's Souls, lol.
Neither triumphing nor losing really makes me feel anything here sadly.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Played for a few hours and I like it so far.

Noshir Dalal's voice is amazing! I'm glad I played it in English!

The only complain I have is the bad blood effects and the lack of blood decals on the ground and characters.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here finish Senpou temple? I have a sidequest and I guess an area question for it don't feel like moving on until I know.

Nov 22, 2017
Is there a program that forces a game to play fullscreen on a select montior (I have a dual screen setup with a 144hz @1080p and a 4k monitor) ... Sekiro having a frame cap, I rather play on the 4k monitor...
I know I can switch the primary monitor but if there is a program that does this on a per app/game basis, it would be helpful.. thanks !

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Managed to beat
Gyobu
on my first try Wooo! Though I did have more than enough practice after spending 2-3 hours on Butterfly.

I thought I would have access to a certain prosthetic when fighting the boss based on the trailers but I got it afterwards. Weird. They even hinted that it would be very helpful just before I entered.
Firecrackers? Yeah, you can get them way before you even fight him. You have to buy it at the vendor on the cliff above near this place.

xpO1Y4G.jpg

iFeRMU7.jpg

bNRseus.jpg

Really not a fan of how easily missable a lot of prosthetic tools are. I got lucky in that I stumbled upon him while exploring but he's in a pretty hidden place.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Since when was calling a game a "PS2 game" an insult and not a way of conveying a lack of features we're used to today for the sake of certain gameplay elements that were ubiquitous of that era.

Fucking gamer philistines unable to actually comprehensively understand someone who isn't fawning all over whatever they like without feeling attacked.

I love the shitheels in Era.
Not fucking really
Saying a game is a game from 2+ gens ago is almost always used as a way to say the graphics are bad, and as such is taken as quite the insult. Gameplay and customization mechanics are always on a case by base basis every gen since ps2 game had plenty of games where you could change your outfit, so the comparison in the regard doesn't make sense.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lg oled users. What do you have your hdr settings. Default 1000 or do you lower it?

What is the saturation setting actually doing. Is that for the guys who complain that their colors "don't have pop" despite any color inaccuracies?

I'm happy that there is a brightness setting. It helps defeat the "dim" tone mapping in hdr game mode for 2017 LG OLEDs.

Apr 24, 2018
I had my plan to start playing at 9 PM ruined last night due to some unforeseen circumstances...eventually wound up sneaking in an hour from 2-3 AM. Only have accessed 3 Idol Statues.

Already dreading facing my first real challenging enemies based on what I'm reading in this thread... just trying to mentally brace myself for inevitably getting wrecked.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did you get the bell and go to the estate location yet? There's an item you can get there that gets you a prosthetic that is helpful with this fight.

It's still doable without though. Just gotta be patient and not get greedy with your attacks. First few times I died was cuz I got impatient . Kept trying to get a few extra hits in when al I needed was like a couple more timed dodges.

That's my issue too. I have gotten him down to a few health points and end up too greedy and get instakilled

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Firecrackers? Yeah, you can get them way before you even fight him. You have to buy it at the vendor on the cliff above near this place.

Really not a fan of how easily missable a lot of prosthetic tools are. I got lucky in that I stumbled upon him while exploring but he's in a pretty hidden place.

Yo wtf...I ran through each area twice and I never saw this dude. But the NPC after the boss also sells the tool or am I mistaken?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the Shinobi Hunter! It was really easy coming back to it fresh today. I was just being lazy about it last night at 1am.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah holy crap that axe is a life saver on shield guys, thanks again thread for reminding me to equip it.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Wolf's English voice totally sounds like Nicolas Cage by the way, it's great. I couldn't stop hearing it so I had to switch back to Japanese after giving it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.