• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
So, the big scoop is something called Fog Gaming.

- yes, "Fog Gaming" is the "scoop"

- Sega will use arcades in Japan as the technical backbone

- CPUs and GPUs housed in arcade machines are mentioned specifically

- ultra-low latency is touted

- commercial idea is to use arcades outside business hours

Basically, sounds like using Arcade machines to make a Cloud network? Very Japan-centric, it seems.

Sounds like it will let you actually play Arcade games at home somehow though?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
finally the japanese salarymen who has no time for the arcades can stream VF6 on his phone from the arcade.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Wait, so... my the part of my speculation post (the whole thing was not a good guess and was mostly a joke) where I said "I can get a home version of ONGEKI, Maimai, and Chunithm!" could come true???!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
All i get out of this is trying to use the idle arcade cabinet CPU/GPUs doing off hours of the arcades to do something with it. I assume stream arcade games elsewhere to play remotely, but it won't work during business hours as those arcade machines would be in operation to serve customers.

Very weird, and seems tailored for Japan and mostly to squeeze every dollar out of these machines.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just an FYI for those not familiar, "fog computing" is an actual thing... basically, anything with local storage/compute + networking can be run on the edge, and theoretically clustered - the hardware is "local" and the vast majority of work is done on-site; but it has the backbone of the internet to cluster together over low-latency lines.

EDIT: Long story short, I can't imagine this having any affect on non-Japanese gamers. Even IF this comes to fruition, it would only be of value if deployed at scale/in large quantities. Sure, I suppose a big arcade having a full deployment of "fog cabinets" that can 1) be leveraged during closed hours for compute/to make money or 2) can be networked together in times of lower popularity/business, and thus send "more power" to fewer machines would be cool - but unless they have demonstrable, working prototypes, this sounds.... .... like potential vaporware. I'd love to be wrong. Hoping we see way more in the coming hours/day.

EDIT 2: I'm seeing in this thread and others people excited to be able to play arcade games at home because of this... nowhere have I seen them suggesting that's what this would be used for. Again - happy to be wrong...

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So it's a cloud gaming service for the home using arcade machines as the infrastructure? And I can play arcade games at my house? OK?

why?

OP
OP
Jeremy

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
My first impression is that the person who started up the "scoop" hype should be sort of ashamed?

This doesn't immediately seem like a big deal to me.

Oct 28, 2017
Could this be any more confusing?

Cloud-based solutions need hardware to do the calculations remotely. Azon has built server parks that do all the work for Amazon cloud.

Fog gaming is a cloud-gaming solution that uses arcade hardware instead of cloud
servers to do all the computations, enabling the owners of the arcade hardware to put their Machines to use when the arcade units are not in use. They will be used to power a Sega gaming service that is yet to be specified, that allows people to play the arcade games through the internet.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Feel like a lot of y'all have no love for J arcades. I'm excited by the idea that I can play arcade games from home! There are so many incredible arcade exclusives in Japan.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So just local VDA for arcades?

Actually no, but that sounds like a better idea imo.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like a lot of y'all have no love for J arcades. I'm excited by the idea that I can play arcade games from home! There are so many incredible arcade exclusives in Japan.
Before people get carried away with this idea, the Famitsu leak never actually says this. I think we'll need to wait for the actual article to understand more details on the application of this Fog Gaming.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Fog and cloud are not the same apparently, so this is a new tech? Still sounds like distributed computing of some form. Ths latency stuff needs to be good for arcades, and they have something apparently.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's a big deal for Japan and arcades, especially given how many Sega has running. That's a lot of potential new revenue for them.

Considering it was a Famitsu reveal we probably should have expected it'd be something local in the first place, really.

At the very least I can't imagine it'll have much if any impact on their console game developers.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
i called it
www.resetera.com

[Gematsu] Japanese tech journalist teases “huge scoop” on the level of Wired’s PS5 article for June 4-due issue of Weekly Famitsu (Sega related)

There is no way this announcement is going to be as big as they are promoting. I cannot even see Microsoft buying Sega as many of their titles sell best on Nintendo platforms along with the big bucks of Yakuza on PS. I am curious as to what it is, I cannot even wrap my head around anything that...

this is huge and worth hyping for.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Cloud service for playing arcade games? Sounds interesting
Curious yo see how this will evolve

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty neat if it helps the Japanese arcade business stay afloat during the pandemic.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Anyone of you just expecting some major global scoop from a Famitsu exclusive have yourself to blame tbh.

This service is kinda neat, might actually check it out.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah the whole "arcade games from home" thing is pure speculation.

Also they stress that it is not cloud gaming so that comparison should probably stop.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Good for Arcades, I guess. Expected the announcement to be something not really relevant for the west tbh.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I mean, he was not wrong, it's a pretty cool scoop in the context of Japan. It's not his fault, that delusional people here suddenly started posting their fanboy fanfiction involving a Microsoft merger/acquisition, then ballooned the hype for the article on a global scale.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
So Crane Game Toreba but with Virtua Fighter?

I wonder how much playing a game remotely would cost vs going to an arcade.