• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy G makes $27m/yr which is starter money. Team taking him in would have to start him for it to make any sense to trade for him. His contract is up next season so it's likely a rental. The entire league knows his limitations, and there's a FA class of several similar replacement level starting QBs in Mariota, Winston, Fitzpatrick that can be signed for significantly cheaper than Garoppolo while providing similar value.

What kind of teams could use a one year rental starter? Ones that have a young QB of the future they plan to draft this season knowing full well the team they have around them isn't good enough to compete seriously for a title in 22. But then why would such a team spend a first day pick on that kind of player? Clearly they need all the high draft picks they can get!

So where does this mythical value come from wherein Garoppolo grabs a first day pick that doesn't rely on some GM being high off bath salts? Trading a first day pick for Cousins makes more sense than Jimmy G if the stars aligned for a team needing consistent if not elite QB play.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Panthers are an incredibly poorly run organization last few years with a desperate GM at the time, and even then Darnold was like 6 years younger than garrapolo is now. Panthers likely won't make that stupid of a mistake again, and no team in the league thinks they're a Jimmy G away from contention.

So what? The age difference didn't suddenly negate Darnold consistently showing a lower ceiling and floor than Jimmy without any of the success.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
That 9th pick is probably going to be used on Willis or Cross. Not a bad way to start the rebuild for Seattle.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
So where does this mythical value come from wherein Garoppolo grabs a first day pick that doesn't rely on some GM being high off bath salts? Trading a first day pick for Cousins makes more sense than Jimmy G if the stars aligned for a team needing consistent if not elite QB play.

Niners fans spent a good chunk of the season cursing Jimmy and begging for Trey to play, then proceeded to curse Jimmy for once again throwing them out of a playoff loss, but at the same time want people to believe Jimmy is this great QB who just wins with a high ceiling and a ton of value. Can't have it both ways.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
If he's this good why did San Francisco trade three firsts for a Quarterback who played one whole college game?
They were struck with "mahomes syndrome ", that's why. Go back and read some of the talk about Trey. He was making "mahomes like throws" and was "the next mahomes". Even Lynch was making comparisons. Insanity tbh.

For me the question should be what is Trey showing in practice which makes Kyle gunshy about him?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, he did. Because he was a 23 year old with a lot of physical tools who was in a shitty situation with the Jets. Its easy to understand why teams might talk themselves into being able to "fix" him. Jimmy G is 30. And he's spent the last 5 years playing in essentially a perfect situation for him, with a QB "guru" running his offense, playing on a loaded team with talent up and down the roster. And he's still been fairly mediocre enough that the Niners couldn't wait to replace him. You don't seem to understand how teams value QBs or evaluate individual players. they don't really give all that much of a shit about "deep playoff runs" and "super bowl appearances", certainly not enough to suddenly vault the value of a fairly pedestrian QB up to a first rounder.

You're always quick to point out what people don't understand while simultaneously showing you don't understand. Which you don't if you honestly believe Darnold had more value. Age isn't some magical factor that negates everything else. Intangibles, stats/metrics, wins. Darnold is an inferior player across the board and to argue anything different is frankly ridiculous.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen some of the deals GMs in this league have made? Why does everyone seem to think that all GMs are competent?

And you're right, he's not that good, but good enough is all you need sometimes is what a lot of people think.

There is a difference between dumb, and dumb enough to give up a first round pick (or possibly more?) for Jimmy G. If you take the blinders off, the reality is that Jimmy G is closer to the Jameis/Mitch Trubisky tier of QB than he is an elite guy, or even the guys with potential like Wentz or Darnold, who were dealt recently.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
You're always quick to point out what people don't understand while simultaneously showing you don't understand. Which you don't if you honestly believe Darnold had more value. Age isn't some magical factor that negates everything else. Intangibles, stats/metrics, wins. Darnold is an inferior player across the board and to argue anything different is frankly ridiculous.
Teams in all leagues trade for young potential all the time. They always think they can be the ones to harness and fix the player.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The idea that Darnold last year had more value around the league than Jimmy now, based on a number of factors (age, physical ability, pedigree) isn't crazy. Does that mean Darnold is a better player? No. But it explains why he commanded the trade compensation he did. And its not something teams are going to view out of Jimmy. Jimmy doesn't have much of a ceiling. He's viewed as an experienced starter. Thats about it. It speaks to, again, a very highly inflated view of Jimmy G that you and other Niner fans have.

The fact that you dismiss "age" as something teams use to evaluate players and their values, and prop up "intangibles' says it all 🤣

Oct 28, 2017
California
There is a difference between dumb, and dumb enough to give up a first round pick (or possibly more?) for Jimmy G. If you take the blinders off, the reality is that Jimmy G is closer to the Jameis/Mitch Trubisky tier of QB than he is an elite guy, or even the guys with potential like Wentz or Darnold, who were dealt recently.

While that's all well and true, those guys you listed don't have Jimmy's playoff experience. I'm sure some GM is going to fool himself into thinking that's gotta count.

But we'll see. Either we get at least a mid-to-late 1st rounder for him which is what most us want, or we get dick.

Oct 28, 2017
California
The idea that Darnold last year had more value around the league than Jimmy now, based on a number of factors (age, physical ability, pedigree) isn't crazy. Does that mean Darnold is a better player? No. But it explains why he commanded the trade compensation he did. And its not something teams are going to view out of Jimmy. Jimmy doesn't have much of a ceiling. He's viewed as an experienced starter. Thats about it. It speaks to, again, a very highly inflated view of Jimmy G that you and other Niner fans have.

The fact that you dismiss "age" as something teams use to evaluate players and their values, and prop up "intangibles' says it all 🤣

There's also plenty folks in the media who have an inflated view of Jimmy, especially every time they bring up the bullshit "BUT JIMMY WINS" argument.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
While that's all well and true, those guys you listed don't have Jimmy's playoff experience. I'm sure some GM is going to fool himself into thinking that's gotta count.

But we'll see. Either we get at least a mid-to-late 1st rounder for him which is what most us want, or we get dick.

Mitch Trubisky has "playoff experience". What is that worth? What good is Jimmy's playoff experience when he's played like shit in the playoffs? Teams don't actually care about that kind of shit, again, at least not to the extent that they will inflate Jimmy's worth up to a first rounder.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Maybe this isn't the right place to ask since this is apparently the "Jimmy G trade value" thread, but what are some of the draft potential picks that Seahawks just grabbed?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. As a Broncos fan, this is really good news. The team has been awful since Peyton retired, and it couldn't be any clearer that the QB was the missing piece.

That sure is a ton of picks and personnel, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. More years of losing seasons and last place division finishes certainly don't appeal.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Mitch Trubisky has "playoff experience". What is that worth? What good is Jimmy's playoff experience when he's played like shit in the playoffs? Teams don't actually care about that kind of shit, again, at least not to the extent that they will inflate Jimmy's worth up to a first rounder.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Trubisky's only playoff experience as a starter was a first round playoffs exit? We can't really equate that to 2 NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl appearance now can we?

Again like I said, we'll see. Some folks think that Jimmy won't net much because of his poor play, which yeah is the logical conclusion. But others like myself who know he's bad are thinking he'll net something valuable considering how desperate and emotional team front offices can get.

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask since this is apparently the "Jimmy G trade value" thread, but what are some of the draft potential picks that Seahawks just grabbed?

Sorry, forgot that this wasn't the NFL Thread lol

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Trubisky's only playoff experience as a starter was a first round playoffs exit? We can't really equate that to 2 NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl appearance now can we?

Again like I said, we'll see. Some folks think that Jimmy won't net much because of his poor play, which yeah is the logical conclusion. But others like myself who know he's bad are thinking he'll net something valuable considering how desperate and emotional team front offices can get.

You can because the point is that its sort of pointless to attribute playoff appearances/experience to an individual players, particularly one that has played as poorly in the playoffs as Jimmy has. What good is that "playoff experience" when he's clearly held the Niners back in the playoffs? Thats just more sample size for teams to see what kind of QB he actually is, if anything.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Seahawks got fleeced in the trade - and the Seahawks offense was 2nd in the league at yards per play prior to the Wilson injury last year. He's still a Tier 2 (below Rodgers Mahomes Allen Jackson [when healthy] Burrow) / Pro Bowl / dark horse MVP level QB. As a long-time Dolphins fan (and Seattle resident of 15 years), I don't think people realize how hard it is to get a QB if you aren't lucking into the number one pick during a generationally good QB draft. Also Jody Allen may end up as #1 on the most hated sports owners list considering the Blazers also falling apart at the same time.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Saying age doesn't automatically negate all other factors isn't dismissing age it's a factor. The fact that you seriously put Jimmy on the same level as Trubisky shows that you're the one with an unreliable gauge for QB play and value, to put it politely.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Saying age doesn't automatically negate all other factors isn't dismissing age it's a factor. The fact that you seriously put Jimmy on the same level as Trubisky shows that you're the one with an unreliable gauge for QB play and value, to put it politely.

In terms of what they are worth around the league? Absolute they are closer than Jimmy is to a top/elite type of QB. Both are essentially journeymen/starter level guys. Nothing more.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Probably going to be worth about $10-15 million a year. Trubisky is about to get paid.

Dude has looked a lot better by not playing the last year. He was never the problem in Chicago and he had way more success than anyone in Chicago actually wanted to admit.

If I was rooting for a team looking for a QB I'd honestly much rather roll the dice on a Trubisky than settle for a Jimmy G

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of what they are worth around the league? Absolute they are closer than Jimmy is to a top/elite type of QB. Both are essentially journeymen/starter level guys. Nothing more.
Crazy talk.

Jimmy G is on another level compared to Tribusky come on. Jimmy is not elite but he is good. Mitch is average at best. I will admit Wentz is closer to Jimmy, but I'd take him over any of the "joirneyman" qbs.

Also let's not downplay the person who plays the most important position in the league. He is as responsible for their losses as he is their wins.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

But there is a massive middle ground between Franchise QBs and Journeymen/Destined Backups like Trubisky and Darnold. Only a handful of teams have an Elite guy. For those with playoffs rosters and no shot at landing one those few franchise QBs, there is a lot of value in that 11-20 range, "middle ground" QB. Which is where Jimmy is.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy will probably net something similar to what Alex Smith was traded for several years ago. A 2nd or 3rd rounder and maybe a player seems totally appropriate. Particularly since the 49ers will try to work with him a bit in terms of finding a decent team rather than just the highest bidder.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are vastly overrating Jimmy G if you don't think he falls into the Journeymen/Destined Backups camp as well. Middle ground QBs are guys like Cousins and Carr, who are far better than Jimmy.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are vastly overrating Jimmy G if you don't think he falls into the Journeymen/Destined Backups camp as well. Middle ground QBs are guys like Cousins and Carr, who are far better than Jimmy.

Do you have anything to actually back this up outside of your own ass? Because based on stats and wins and whatever other factor you will surely handwave, Jimmy is objectively a cut of above the guys you keep comparing him to.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have anything to actually back this up outside of your own ass? Because based on stats and wins and whatever other factor you will surely handwave, Jimmy is objectively a cut of above the guys you keep comparing him to.

I don't know, maybe the fact that his own team despite having a 29 year old "11-20 middle ground QB" unloaded a ton of draft capital to replace him? How about the mountains of evidence over the last few years that Jimmy is so very clearly limited at operating an offense, reading the field, and making plays downfield? And this is on a team with a very QB friendly coach and with everything geared and built around his limitations. But nah you got "intangibles" so what do I know. "Jimmy just wins...except when he doesn't".

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, maybe the fact that his own team despite having a 29 year old "11-20 middle ground QB" unloaded a ton of draft capital to replace him? How about the mountains of evidence over the last few years that Jimmy is so very clearly limited at operating an offense, reading the field, and making plays downfield? And this is on a team with a very QB friendly coach and with everything geared and built around his limitations. But nah you got "intangibles" so what do I know. "Jimmy just wins...except when he doesn't".

So your own ass. got it.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite Jimmy G's obvious limitations, I don't think the 49ers would have gone all in on drafting a rookie without the injury concerns. We're an elite team when he's healthy and putrid when he's not, of course they're going to find someone they think can actually stay on the field.