• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a pathetically toothless retirement statement lol, the kids drawing to garner sympathy just killed me and the specific callout to the LGBT+ community that he is supporting the oppression of. Fuck off.

He'll be back in a month or so doing interviews about how he was cancelled and then come back with a gofundme or some shit to fund his next game.

Or, his replacement will just be him with a new hat (the replacement will be private because of concerns over "doxxing") or will actually be a different person but who is just as shitty.

Alternatively his replacement is Notch, I heard he's looking for work
You're forgetting option 4: He sells the franchise to a big publisher who gives zero fucks about giving a shitton of money to a known bigot as long as it means they get a lucrative IP out of it.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
5 kids. He says "one is the size of a blueberry" referring to an unborn child and basically inserting his anti-abortion bullshit in there
Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who thought that was him inserting that in there as a jab of sorts.

The retirement message is presented as something standalone, but didn't he just say a few days ago he wasn't backing down from leaving? What changed? Does he think he can do more of the "for God" hocus pocus by getting into politics?
All an act, he was saying he wasn't going to give up so he could give up and say that he was bullied into it for the safety of his family and unborn child

You're forgetting option 4: He sells the franchise to a big publisher who gives zero fucks about giving a shitton of money to a known bigot as long as it means they get a lucrative IP out of it.
Sounds about right, CDPR could do with a new acquisition right now šŸ¤”

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This fellow really seems quite manipulative. Very unfortunate he has such a young fan base. Hopefully he does what is actually best for everyone, and buggers off.

Something tells me that won't be the case, though.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
The retirement message is presented as something standalone, but didn't he just say a few days ago he wasn't backing down from leaving? What changed? Does he think he can do more of the "for God" hocus pocus by getting into politics?
he's got the money and the friends, and now the story of how he was attacked and stood up for his conservative principles, just like he'll stand up for you in Washington.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually surprised he's planning to step down. I was under the impression that he wasn't getting that much heat, and that the kids were defending MAGA now. I wonder if part of his 'retirement' is down to no longer being able to reconcile with himself his hatred of LGBT+ and women and it being those exact demographics that support him the most. Anyway, good riddance, bigots and anti-choicers get to shit.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect this, thought he'd just lean on his blatant bullshit statement, manipulated fandom, and keep on going.
Don't really know if him retiring changes anything, but it's better than him sticking around, I guess.

Ideally he'd acknowledge what a fucker he's been, take responsibility, apologize, make amends and change himself for the better, but I guess retiring was the easier way out for him. Let's hope it sticks, I suppose. He can just choose to return at any point and receive a hero's welcome.

As for the future of whatever IPs he owns, nothing has changed there, he will of course still profit from those.
And in regards to who he'll hand things off to, there's obviously no reason to trust his judge of character.

Last edited:

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Small victories. I'll take it for now.
Isn't there a new FNAF game coming out, though? Is there a team developing thisnor was it a one man show and that game is now cancelled? Don't rrally know what thebstate of that franchise is tbh.

It's being developed by Steel Wool Studios. Ultimate Custom Night in 2018 was the last solo-developed FNAF by Cawthon. The VR and AR games, as well as the new one coming up were all developed by partner studios. I dunno how involved Cawthon was in the development of those, but all are official mainline releases.

I dunno if his involvement with future games will actually change at all. This whole announcement feels performative to gain sympathy while trying to incentivize more critical fans to not abandon the franchise.

He's also funding and promoting fan projects. Although he is letting the makers of those keep all the revenue themselves, it'll still help grow the brand.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Yes he's a Trump-supporting bigot, but we're really gonna attack a guy for attaching meaning to a child he's expecting? Pro-choice doesn't mean what you guys think it does. I didn't view my son as a specimen or non-human prior to his birth, and I am very much pro choice.

But this statement is pure guilt tripping nonsense. He'll return and his next game will sell more than the last five combined.

Oct 25, 2017
Throughout this whole thing Ive seriously been suprised at how much of a manipulative, hateful coward this guy turned out to be. Like he really got off on being Mr. Benevolent Nice Guy in part because it got him praise lol

Him retiring changes nothing though, he'll still make money off it and MatPat will still make theory vids

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
He just had to let the veil slip with the blueberry line. Which is exactly what I said would happen. Now that he's exposed, he doesn't have to pretend to be neutral anymore.

I look forward to his future appearances with Mike Lindell, marketing new MyPillow crap.

But, given how the party he supports is all about lying and manipluation, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not telling the truth about retiring, and just making up a shell person to pretend to be an in-between person, so he can distance himself from the game. (Echoes of Something Awful's forum admins, where Lowtax did the same thing with a problematic guy that people hated)

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
mitch-mcconnell-is-a-traitor.jpg

How can you donate to this man, who has done SO MUCH DAMAGE to politics, and still act like you are actually interested in the good of the USA? You are either evil or you have no idea what is going on, choose one. Don't choose the path of "both sides are valid" when you are donating money to MITCH MCCONNELL.
Goodbye.

You don't give $5,000 to Mitch McConnell and have no idea what's going on. Notice in his non-apology he didn't even try to justify the biggest donation on the list. Because you can't. There is no non-evil reason for donating to Mitch.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The options were:
  1. Find a better way to hide his donations.
  2. Just "retire" and continue to overtly make donations.
Looks like he chose the latter!

Bengraven