• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
£600 for a 6800 on Overclockers.co.uk what a complete joke. The 3070 is £470, so that's straight up price gouging.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My bet is these see price drops to $499 for 6800 and $599 for 6800 xt by next spring.

They launched em with weird pricing because they knew they'd sell out anyways. Early adopter tax.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am not sure RT will perform well on AMD card and implementation seems to be different according to this Nvidia Omniverse employee who heard things from people he knows in the game industry about PS5 raytracing implementation. The other guy is a Naughty Dog guy. If it real it means two times more work to optimize RT on RTX card and AMD card.

I have talked with developers about the difference between AMD and Nvidia RT. I have been told flatly that AMD's RT acceleration is just slower at many things so optimisation differences mean a game designed around AMD's RT performance would want to reduce object complexity in the BVH and make rays as coherent as possible. It is the reason why all AMD RT sponsored titles are using RT Shadows (i presume). No complex shading step. No extremely divergent rays.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
As expected, 2080Ti ballpark with 2070(S) RT performance. Wake me up next gen.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
I managed to snag one directly from AMD.

This launch was worse than the 3080 IMO, i actually saw cards in stock at least for the 3080, just couldn't finish checkout in time because the sites were breaking.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
AIB versions release next week. That's probably a more realistic time to get one, especially now that everyone is disappointed with the RT performance.

Nov 2, 2017
interesting how in the reviews I've seen the 6800 widens the gap with the 3070/2080Ti at higher resolutions.

At 1080p it's about on par/slightly better but becomes a good 10% faster at 4K. Not something I expected compared to a 2080Ti & Ampere in general.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Dude where are these cards?
giphy.gif

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the 6800XT is interesting, in that it's genuinely very competitive with the 3080 in rasterizatised games, especially below 4k, but gets completely blown up in any raytracing tasks (ignoring DLSS).

Ultimately, once the cards are ready available at RRP, I would not be surprised if Nvidia trims the 3080 pricing to match the 6800XT, and that will make it a bit of a tough sell for the red card. Of course, it looks like neither will be available at RRP any time soon.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
As soon as I saw the cards on Canada Computers they were sold out. I'm been refreshing the page for an hour and the second they popped up already sold out. Fucking terrible launch.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I have talked with developers about the difference between AMD and Nvidia RT. I have been told flatly that AMD's RT acceleration is just slower at many things so optimisation differences mean a game designed around AMD's RT performance would want to reduce object complexity in the BVH and make rays as coherent as possible. It is the reason why all AMD RT sponsored titles are using RT Shadows (i presume). No complex shading step. No extremely divergent rays.
Why were people expecting AMD RT to be anywhere near Nvidia's. It even took Nvidia a couple of years before RT became worth it.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Simuly and I forgot who else were VERY outspoken about it coming close in RT and just being a lot better in general.
Probably thinking of SummitRidge, who was a massive AMD fanboy, to the extent of claiming that Big Navi would deliver 4x the raytracing performance of the 2080Ti. Needless to say, that claim does not hold water.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Probably thinking of SummitRidge, who was a massive AMD fanboy, to the extent of claiming that Big Navi would deliver 4x the raytracing performance of the 2080Ti. Needless to say, that claim does not hold water.
No was talking about the OP of one of those threads, I have no idea who SummitRidge is.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

I have no doubt about it for me we will not see RT out of shadows and specular reflection on consoles.

Screenshot-13.png

I was knowing if he placed GI before shadows and reflctions it means they will use other method than raytracing for it. And Unreal Engine 5(virtualised geometry) or Demon's Souls does not use RT maybe it will be something in many future console title will not use it or they will use some hybrid with SVOGI or froxel based GI or PBGI or mix of mutiple methods (Voxel, SDF...) like UE5 and some RT for specular reflections for example. It will be very sparsely used at least on consoles.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I do think 6800 is too expensive for the features it lacks. $499 would be more compelling.

3070 still seems like the card to get if it ever goes back in stock.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK

I mean, I can probably be considered an AMD fan, but whoever thought RDNA2 would've been not only faster than a 3080 in RT, but 4x faster at that, has clearly lost his mind.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea it's too close in price to a 3080. Hopefully it drops in price. Still great to have competition.

Dec 25, 2018
I have a 3070 but these bench marks are pretty insane. Props to AMD, but also fuck the review embargo being lifted as people can buy them. People shouldn't need to second guess these cards.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I have no doubt about it for me we will not see RT out of shadows and specular reflection on consoles.

Screenshot-13.png

I was knowing if he placed GI before shadows and reflctions it means they will use other method than raytracing for it. And Unreal Engine 5(virtualised geometry) or Demon's Souls does not use RT maybe it will be something in many future console title will not use it or they will use some hybrid with SVOGI or froxel based GI or PBGI or mix of mutiple methods (Voxel, SDF...) like UE5 and some RT for specular reflections for example. It will be very sparsely used at least on consoles.

This is very disappointing. Reflections are fine, shadows are fine but RT GI is the true gamechanger for me.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The Infinity Cache may be doing some funky things to resolution scaling. The 6800XT is faster than a 3090 at 1080p but slower than a 3080 at 4K.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like there is an interesting split in audiences now.

If you are someone who prioritizes HFR gaming at 120 fps or 240 fps, the AMD cards will probably be better.
If you are someone who wants to max their image quality settings as much as possible at 60 fps, then Nvidia will probably be better.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
So close. Was going through the checkout process on AMDs site, got through it and hit Place Order, it tries to load up the completed page... and the site crashes. No clue if it actually registered to go through, but Im not counting on it.

Oh well, was worth a shot.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at these reviews as someone that is waiting for the mid segment cards, is it safe to conclude the 300-400 range 6xxx cards will most likely be nearly unsuitable for ray tracing while the 3060 will be decent?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah something is up with 4k performance. 3070 is a 256 bit bus card and it's doing better than 6800 xt in a lot of games.

Hopefully some driver updates help but yeah seems odd it's as fast as a 3080 at 1440p but slower than a 3070 (in certain titles anyway) even at 4k.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think the cards are solid but I'm a world where Nvidia isn't exactly sleeping at the wheel, AMD needs to have it's rt and fidelity fx stuff in order because it does damn good in raster.

I think it's a viable alternative but not quite close enough to meet the 3070/80/90 when I it comes to value.

While AMD is the darling on the CPU front, I would like for them to make an even bigger stride for their next cards.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Good summary, basically dead heat. But then add on RT/DLSS/driver familiarity and I'm sticking with Nvidia.

7sUqSH1.png

xnKfAFA.png

hqp5ImL.png

www.techspot.com

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Review

The Radeon RX 6800 XT is AMD's new high-end gaming graphics card targeting the GeForce RTX 3080. We've had the card in our labs for a while,...

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
This is very disappointing. Reflections are fine, shadows are fine but RT GI is the true gamechanger for me.

RT GI and path tracing performance looks to be a bit of a car crash for RDNA2, so I think adoption is going to be really slow. Shadows and reduced resolution mirror reflections will be the norm.

The uplifts from SAM are really impressive but I'm locked out with a 3700x and B450 motherboard.

Power consumption is really impressive compared to Nvidia's offerings. AMD have done a lot of good here, but there are some major caveats.

If you're a 1080p high refresh rate gamer with a 5xxx Ryzen CPU, these cards are a fantastic option.

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I think the cards are solid but I'm a world where Nvidia isn't exactly sleeping at the wheel, AMD needs to have it's rt and fidelity fx stuff in order because it does damn good in raster.

I think it's a viable alternative but not quite close enough to meet the 3070/80/90 when I it comes to value.

While AMD is the darling on the CPU front, I would like for them to make an even bigger stride for their next cards.

amd is only giving a shit about it software after not giving a fuck for two decades they will take time to find their groove.

I've worked around drivers for gpus and networks neither are pretty and long terms goals take time.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
At least now that these cards are in the hands of consumers, it will be easier to get hold of a 3080, right?

Right?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Lumen use realtime GI without raytracing and same for Demon's Souls. I suppose it will be the case for many title. This is not looking as good as with raytracing but this is less expensive and looks pretty good.

I suppose this will be how most of the title will do for the next 5 to 6 years.