• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks! Is there a preferred AMD GPU manufacturer? I remember using XFX in the past, but wondering if there's one that's lauded above the others (kinda like how people say EVGA is one of the better Nvidia manufacturers).

I'd say Sapphire and Powercolor are usually the best AMD AIB but the reference cards are going to be basically the exact same so there's really no difference if that's what you're going for tomorrow. If you're waiting for AIB cards on the 25th, I'd recommend one of those two if possible

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Microcenter:

OcUK:
8pack-Radeon-RX-6800-Stock.png

A whole 35 cards for possibly the biggest PC component etailer in the UK. Yikes.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
So reference tomorrow and AIBs later?

I take it benchmarks for games are embargoed until tomorrow too? I could be in for one of these cards, but I really want to see what raytracing performance looks like.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I really want benchmarks T.T I probably want either a 6800xt or 3080. Managed to get a Ryzen 5600x so I'm good on that front.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Steve from Hardware Unboxed said yesterday to expect the launch tomorrow to be as bad as the 3080, and the third-party launch to be slightly better next week. Still bad, though.

Feb 11, 2019
There is no possible way for AMD to meet the demand with Nvidia taking a vacation. They could have five times as many cards as Nvidia did and they'll still sell out.

The only question here is how fast they can restock. If AMD doesn't have as many supply issues, it'll be pretty good and your chances of buying one better than Nvidia, but they will still sell out.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
If I can't nab a 6800XT at launch or the AIB a week after...I'm probably just going to get a 2070 and do the upgrade program with EVGA to a 3080. :/

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So when can I grab one of these cards? I'm from germany and would like to order one from Amazon or Media Markt/Saturn....is there a time/date?

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was planning on waiting for a 6800, but just managed to snag a PNY 3070 from Office Depot so I guess I'm going with that.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Do we know, where these supply issues are coming from? Is it TSMC or something else? I could definitely see Ryzen and the consoles getting priority
over the GPUs.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Pretty sure that AMD is producing everything at TSMC at the moment so there's surely a mad large demand of orders to fulfill. I wouldn't want to be working there just now I suppose.

Feb 11, 2019
Do we know, where these supply issues are coming from? Is it TSMC or something else? I could definitely see Ryzen and the consoles getting priority
over the GPUs.

We don't know for sure just yet. Video card takes several months to go from bare silicon to finished product, so if AMD has a normal restock following the launch, then we can say it's due to Nvidia's poor decision making-- at launch AMD will be dealing with the supply they decided on months ago when Nvidia hadn't gone "aight, ima head home". Right now it could be any number of things, I've seen Samsung's foundry and GDDR6X being blamed, but there's no proof of either AFAIK. It could just be coronavirus disruption or something.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
hmmmm, think ima wait for the reviews of the 6800xt to hit 2mrw. Let the dust settle and then if everything is on the up and up, try a nab a aib on the 25th. In between time will continue to try and get a 3080.

Feb 11, 2019
hmmmm, think ima wait for the reviews of the 6800xt to hit 2mrw. Let the dust settle and then if everything is on the up and up, try a nab a aib on the 25th. In between time will continue to try and get a 3080.

This is my plan. It looks like AMD has some performance headroom this time around so AIBs aren't going to just be the same thing with gamer decoration like it is with Nvidia GPUs.

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So when can I grab one of these cards? I'm from germany and would like to order one from Amazon or Media Markt/Saturn....is there a time/date?
Should be 3pm today. FE only though so you probably won't find any on Amazon or Media Markt. Caseking apparently won't have them either and the AMD-store is already barely working, so...

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Does the review embargo lift at midnight?

Probably at 9am est at the same time as product launch, like Zen 3. It's a bad practice honestly.. You can sort of have a safe gamble with CPUs as the benchmarks and tasks have been the same for decades now, but a GPU where the company is hush hush about RT performances in a time where there's a big generational leap away from traditional rasterization? Good luck to everyone taking that gamble tomorrow..

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that AMD is producing everything at TSMC at the moment so there's surely a mad large demand of orders to fulfill. I wouldn't want to be working there just now I suppose.

Apple? The biggest customer to TSMC?

Clearly PC components are not priority, especially not high end. Just a look at steam hardware stats shows this, it's a negligible market when we compare with what TSMC outputs for other costumers.

It's probably Apple >> Sony/Microsoft >>>>>> zen 3 >> 6000 series

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
over the GPUs.

TSMC has said that their 5nm and 7nm capacity is fully booked through the first half of 2021, so that seems like the most likely answer.

Apple? The biggest customer to TSMC?

Are they doing much 7nm these days? I thought they were already transitioned to 5nm on iPhone and their new ARM-based Macs.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
If Kyle Bennett's (IIRC) statement is true, AMD could be sending most of its GPUs to AIBs so that second or third wave of stock is mostly going to be AIB models, instead of trying to keep reference models constantly in stock.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Current RT is tuned specifically for Nvidia. Now that consoles are here that will change.
It will "change" only in a sense that console games will avoid the most advanced RT usage options which are killing off RDNA2 performance.
Note that such options will still run faster on NV h/w.

You already see how well the 5700xt is doing in dirt 5, godfall, valhalla, black ops etc. Performance trajectories are upwards for AMD and downwards for Nvidia from here on out.
Coincidentally 3 out of these 4 titles are sponsored by AMD. A pure coincidence for sure. Let's make assumptions on trajectories for everything.

Let us not forget that low level APIs still mostly suck on Nvidia hardware as well
Which is another pure lie again from you.
Low level APIs require more optimizations on part of developer and if it's not done for some h/w it will suffer in performance.
AMD enjoys a "free ride" here because such optimizations are similar to those which are needed to do for consoles anyway.
But this doesn't mean that "low level APIs still mostly suck on Nvidia hardware". It means that developers don't do a good enough job optimizing their code for NV h/w. Especially in AMD sponsored titles - I wonder why.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Are they doing much 7nm these days? I thought they were already transitioned to 5nm on iPhone and their new ARM-based Macs.

Yea they are moving to 5nm, with A12 (ipad), A13 (SE), etc chips on 7nm, that leaves more cake to others.

Surprisingly, i forgot also major customers for 7nm at TSMC. Now does "AMD" only include their own branded products, or also the chipsets for PS5 / Xbox series X? 21% share of the 7nm capacity seems lower than i thought they had.

In numbers, AMD would consume 21% share of TSMC's 7nm wafer capacity with 30,000 WPM. HiSilicon and Qualcomm would be responsible for 17-18% share and MediaTek for 14%. This would leave 29% of TSMC's 7nm capacity to the rest of its customers.

cwhazzoo

Apr 22, 2020
I know newegg said when they drop. Do we know yet what time these will drop on Best Buy or Amazon?

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The mere thought of being replaced with a 6800xt was just too much for my GTX 1080 I guess:
gr3z543.jpg

Started literally 10 minutes ago.
fml

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It will "change" only in a sense that console games will avoid the most advanced RT usage options which are killing off RDNA2 performance.
Note that such options will still run faster on NV h/w.

Coincidentally 3 out of these 4 titles are sponsored by AMD. A pure coincidence for sure. Let's make assumptions on trajectories for everything.

Which is another pure lie again from you.
Low level APIs require more optimizations on part of developer and if it's not done for some h/w it will suffer in performance.
AMD enjoys a "free ride" here because such optimizations are similar to those which are needed to do for consoles anyway.
But this doesn't mean that "low level APIs still mostly suck on Nvidia hardware". It means that developers don't do a good enough job optimizing their code for NV h/w. Especially in AMD sponsored titles - I wonder why.
AMD sponsoring means little more than Nvidia not having their own staff on site with the developers implementing Nvidia NDA code. And low level APIs mostly suck on nvidia even in their own gameworks deoptimized titles. See Watch Dogs for the most recent of many examples. Why do you suddenly expect game developers to start optimizing their code better for Nvidia GPUs? What has changed to make that the likely scenario?

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
It's going to be the same situation as the Nvidia cards and PS5/XSX, if you don't win the lottery at launch most of us are in for a 2-3 month wait at least. But that was my plan from the beginning, ultimately it's better to have all the cards on the table and then decide from there.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
videocardz.com

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 1440p DXR ray tracing performance leaks - VideoCardz.com

AMD was very reluctant to share ray tracing performance numbers of Radeon RX 6800 XT before launch, so we decided to help. AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Ray Tracing performance AMD does see the potential of ray tracing in games. In the new set of slides that we have already seen, the company explains...

From a guy in Reddit who made a quick comparison

Source: https://www.techspot.com/article/2109-nvidia-rtx-3080-ray-tracing-dlss/

Metro Exodus

• ⁠6800XT: 67
• ⁠3080: 98
• ⁠3080 with dlss: 113

Tomb Raider

• ⁠6800XT: 82
• ⁠3080: 96
• ⁠3080 with dlss: 111

Nvidia PC:

• ⁠Ryzen 3950X
• ⁠32GB 3200

AMD PC:

• ⁠Ryzen 5900x
• ⁠16GB 3200

cd7.gif

And all these games have not patched to ampere's new async RT like wolfenstein Youngblood did (+10% performances) and the CPU difference is not helping Nvidia either.

edit: also seems SotTR used benchmark tool for AMD while techspot does not..

Last edited:

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
videocardz.com

AMD was very reluctant to share ray tracing performance numbers of Radeon RX 6800 XT before launch, so we decided to help. AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Ray Tracing performance AMD does see the potential of ray tracing in games. In the new set of slides that we have already seen, the company explains...

Metro Exodus

Tomb Raider

Nvidia PC:

• ⁠Ryzen 3950X
• ⁠32GB 3200

AMD PC:

• ⁠Ryzen 5900x
• ⁠16GB 3200

cd7.gif

And all these games have not patched to ampere's new async RT like wolfenstein Youngblood did (+10% performances) and the CPU difference is not helping Nvidia either.
so yeah about what I expected, not great. looks like a 3070/3080 it is.

cwhazzoo

Apr 22, 2020
so yeah about what I expected, not great. looks like a 3070/3080 it is.
Its still pretty decent for ray tracing enabled. We all knew the RX 6000 series would be a little better than the RTX 2000 series at raytracing but not as good as the RTX 3000 series.

When it comes to rasterization though the RX series has me very excited.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Its still pretty decent for ray tracing enabled. We all knew the RX 6000 series would be a little better than the RTX 2000 series at raytracing but not as good as the RTX 3000 series.

It's scaling worst than Turing if we look at RT performances per core. And if you benchmark ampere again with a 5900X, and if async RT gets patched for ampere later, it'll be a huge gap. I'm very interested in rasterization performances tomorrow when it will be benchmarked by 3rd parties. A few more hours

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama

Same. I'm mostly buying for VR and normal rasterization; my massive backlog of games has no ray-tracing anyway lol.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
videocardz.com

Metro Exodus

Tomb Raider

Nvidia PC:

• ⁠Ryzen 3950X
• ⁠32GB 3200

AMD PC:

• ⁠Ryzen 5900x
• ⁠16GB 3200

cd7.gif

edit: also seems SotTR used benchmark tool for AMD while techspot does not..
If settings are extreme, RT on highest settings and in 4k these are false. 60fps for metro exodus in 4k extreme, RT with dlss on

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
If settings are extreme and in 4k these are false. 60fps for metro exodus in 4k extreme with dlss on
But it says right there in the article that settings are Ultra @ 1440p for the AMD cards.

I always thought this notion meant that the performance impact of raytracing would be the same compared to the RTX 2000 series, not the actual performance. Because the latter means raytracing is performing much worse on AMD GPUs, even compared to Nvidias last-gen GPUs.