• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You would never know if it was real or not unless they handed it over for other countries to test. Russia would never admit if it didn't work either. Lets see if people are still walking around with masks and doing whatever once they push this out. Not like they would tell the world what their real numbers of cases etc. are anyway.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Trump will sign an eo that everybody has to take this and all the anti mask people will be the first in line you just watch.

You can't tell me what to do with my body! Well Trump can!

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Hope this or the Chinese one works. In any case, it's the perfect reason for Trump to legally wire Russia all of the monies; whether it works or not.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It would be entirely apropos of 2020 if Russia were to unleash zombies or something with this untested "vaccine," and they were then imported to America. Someone out there is writing a screenplay right now where the media downplays shambling corpses spilling out of refrigerated trucks as fake news.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
You wanted Early Access for your videogames, complete with bugs and all and now you're getting it with your vaccines. I'm sure a few patches down the line and a couple hundred thousand dead we'll have figured it all out. Can't expect perfect with EA.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, here's the exact scenario I've mentioned before in the covid vaccine threads. The USA better not get involved with this stuff, but I have little hope on that. Worst case scenario is Trump orders them to blindly authorize all sorts of vaccines (including this one) for emergency use so you don't even know which one you're taking. Best thing about this is that iirc, there is evidence that the anti-vaxxer rhetoric is mostly being propagated by Russia so an ineffective vaccine furthers their interests.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that vaccine something they cooked up, or it was created based on stolen research. Probably a little bit of both.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gates has to be the devil because he advocates vaccines and surely he will inject microchips to control all

But russia and putin? Those are good people and we can trust them blindly.

These thoughts are brought to you by random american covid doubter

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, doesn't Russia have some of the best scientists in the world? Why the hostility? It's understood that it would even be given for free

Or is it thinly veiled cold war era russian racism? Like the thinly veiled chinese racism we see all too often in OT here? Only the US or some Western Europe country would be « trustable »?

Also the better movie clip would be Contagion's CDC scientist injecting herself and not that Spiderman green goblin video as it's a lot more similar.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Knowing Putin (and his penchant for lying), I'd bet $50 that it doesn't work.

Another $50 that it'd fail so badly that it'll turn Russia into the setting of the next Resident Evil game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, doesn't Russia have some of the best scientists in the world? Why the hostility? It's understood that it would even be given for free

Or is it thinly veiled cold war era russian racism? Like the thinly veiled chinese racism we see all too often in OT here? Only the US or some Western Europe country would be « trustable »?

Also the better movie clip would be Contagion's CDC scientist injecting herself and not that Spiderman green goblin video as it's a lot more similar.

They are basically skipping Stage 3 testing

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
They are basically skipping Stage 3 testing
I understand that, but that's not the vibe I'm getting here. Difficult times and lots of deaths, are people willing to wait at the very least 12 more months with the pandemic ragging around us?

Would reactions that amount to little more than « lol Russia » be as prevalent of it was, say, from a british research center?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Best Scientists in the world? In Some engineering categories maybe 20-30 years ago. Modern Russia is nothing more than a more public North Korea. Their totally safe and ready vaccine was tested on a few scientists and 50 people. WOW I am going to run out the door like the flash and line up for that. The same country that claimed they did not have a virus problem while they shoved tens of thousands of bodies out the back windows etc.

But we should totally trust them

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Probably made only for sale in the US as Donald and Putin complete the total annihilation of the US

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of countries have the best scientists in the world, but that doesn't mean they're somehow releasing vaccines a year yearly.

Safey and efficacy tests are extremely important, especially for something as wide-scale as COVID. There's no half-assing this.

If the US came out with the same news in 2020 I'd be just as critical (and sceptical) of it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

It's pretty obvious people in this thread take issue with the Putin led Russian government as they should. I don't know what you're going on about racism.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
A rushed vaccine is extremely dangerous for the entire world for a variety of reasons. There is no room for "think about everyone who can die while we wait!" Think of everyone who died because Trump pushed an emergency use for hydroxychloroquine.

Reputable scientists around the world said just a few months ago that the ABSOLUTE fastest a vaccine can be safely made is 12-18 months. It seems easy to be skeptical of extraordinary claims especially when they further the political interests of the ones making the claims.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

You are confused

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously this is a mega galaxy brain move to further anti vax sentiment in the west, create more chaos. Outstanding move.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

No, I wouldn't trust an US vaccine pushed by the Trump administration either.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that, but that's not the vibe I'm getting here. Difficult times and lots of deaths, are people willing to wait at the very least 12 more months with the pandemic ragging around us?

Would reactions that amount to little more than « lol Russia » be as prevalent of it was, say, from a british research center?
I agree, the fear and worry should be about the lack of testing, not the "lol Russia" jokes.

There's also quite a lot of "the US better not get involved in this" rather than worrying about the Russian citizens who will be taking the relatively untested vaccine.

I know there's a fair bit of history between the nations but the average Russian probably has much less influence over the fuckery that Putin and the government get up to than the average american does over the fuckery that Trump gets up to.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
They most likely have what others around the world have already achieved, but are just skipping testing phases to see its overall effectiveness. Even if this were to reach the U.S. somehow, it would require time to approve, local testing and the manufacturing/logistics to fit demand.

throw in the time it'll take for Russia to get this rolling in their country while collecting data during the speed running of the vaccine... you'd probably see news locally or from Europe by the time it would be "viable" as a choice.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This doesn't sound very credible ..... The main reason is Putin himself announced it.... Not the scientists, has its results been published in a journal.... Peer reviewed?

Idontbelieveyou.gif

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dont want to be the "Ive seen too many movies" guy but come on, there is no way this is going to work out well. Either it doesnt work, or it fucks you up, or the methods to get it are despicable, or Russia just, you know, Russia's all over it.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Reputable scientists around the world said just a few months ago that the ABSOLUTE fastest a vaccine can be safely made is 12-18 months. It seems easy to be skeptical of extraordinary claims especially when they further the political interests of the ones making the claims.

Basically, this. Every other vaccine that's been doing 'well' and is now in phase three (Oxford, Pfizer, maybe Moderna) was in absolute best case looking to get through that phase and have emergency authorisation right at the end of the year. That'd be hitting near enough the low end twelve months for emergency injections (healthcare etc), and pushing out to the eighteen months to get to everyone else.

Russia are looking to inject people within nine. And there's not much evidence that they even started back in January when Oxford etc. did, so likely less than that.

Nope.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, call it "Russian Racism" all you want, but I am certainly not going to be a beta tester for a KGB middle-manager turned petro-tyrant who has guided Russia into being the world's leading exporter of White Nationalism and counterfeit Adidas track-suits.

GTFOH

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017

I think there are valid suspicions that the clinical studies have been rushed to win the race. It's a really short development time. Of course, I'd expect Moderna and the US administration to do exactly the same if they were in the lead.

But yes, there is a lot of "hmmm, those untrustworthy Russkis" here. The vaccine likely works (imagine the worldwide ridicule it it didn't), will most likely be safe as well, even if it hasn't been comprehensively tested. I don't like this but a lot of people here are off the mark.

EDIT: I can see most people here don't seem to understand that the vaccine being a fake/not working/being harmful would be an obvious, easily found and absolutely terrible blow to Putin, who has just bet his and Russia's reputation in this. They wouldn't have done this if they were not sure (even if the testing is fraudulent, as I'm sure it is).

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

You don't need to look back to any prior era to understand why people in the US and Europe treat Russia and China with skepticism or hostility. One is a major destabilising force seeking to undermine every established democracy, assassinating people on foreign soil. The other is committing genocide or something very like it, and practices staggering oppression on multiple fronts. Neither has a functioning independent press.

It's ok to not trust news from these countries - even if the science is quite possibly accurate in this case.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, the fear and worry should be about the lack of testing, not the "lol Russia" jokes.

There's also quite a lot of "the US better not get involved in this" rather than worrying about the Russian citizens who will be taking the relatively untested vaccine.

I know there's a fair bit of history between the nations but the average Russian probably has much less influence over the fuckery that Putin and the government get up to than the average american does over the fuckery that Trump gets up to.
Exactly. People seem to forget that the USSR wasn't built by idiots who didn't have any kind of scientific excellence. Is Putin a terrible leader? Most definitely, is the lack of stage 3 testing problematic? Assuredly. Are the "Lol Russia" and similar comments out of place? Definitely.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't know putin posted here.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
Hey, if Putin wants Russia's 'phase three' to basically be 'the entire of the population of Russia', then that's fine. (For us outside of Russia, at least)
Just make sure to publish peer reviewed results later down the line after a few months, and if the scientists say 'y'know what it seems safe after all', maybe I'll climb on board.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017

The last thing you want to do with a vaccine that you are going to inject potentially 100s of millions, if not billions, of people is to rush it to market without understanding the full extent of side effects. Look at what happened with polio vaccine in the '50s.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

di45zll.png

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
No chance any other country approves this without the full testing. Russia might end up being that test...

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Exactly. People seem to forget that the USSR wasn't built by idiots who didn't have any kind of scientific excellence. Is Putin a terrible leader? Most definitely, is the lack of stage 3 testing problematic? Assuredly. Are the "Lol Russia" and similar comments out of place? Definitely.

FWIW:

I'm not taking any vaccine that isn't peer reviewed and throughly tested proving it's efficiency and safenes, but I don't care which country or big pharma call dibs on a vaccine that works. If they manage to actually get this right and accept peer review and go through strict testing is all that it matters to me.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, maybe it works, and I hope it does. However, "tested by the scientists on themselves" does not fill me with confidence. Very much the opposite of that, actually.

Why are you having the person who you need healthy to create the vaccine test on themselves? That's moronic. They're in no way a better test subject than anyone else would be, and if their vaccine fails you've just shot your own research capability in the foot. It's like something an actual idiot would say to "instill confidence" when they know there's no reason to have confidence in their process.