• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Well the marketing guy from SCEA did say that Vita would have a 10 year support span… and, its Vitas 10th years anniversary in Japan this December… so I guess they lived up to their promise?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible shit but it'd be very on-brand. Wouldn't be surprised. Many PSP and Vita games haven't even gone on sale for years, probably because Sony is "too busy" to tick a discount box somewhere. Clown show.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So I won't be able to buy PS1 and PS2 classics on PS3?

Sony, you better find a way for these games to be available on PS5...

STOP NEGLECTING YOUR LEGACY -_-"
PS Now lol.

The subscription model is what these companies are doing for legacy content now. See NES and SNES Online on the Switch.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Not sure I believe that. I think they'd give more time between announcement and closure.

If it is true, that's garbage.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised, considering all the hubbub about Sony's backend being a bit of a shitshow.

Still fuckin' sucks, regardless though.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not an issue for me as long as we have access to the download list, as clunky as it is to browse on these consoles. Sucks that Sony never added BC to these digital purchases on PS5, I have plenty of digital games that I wouldn't mind being able to play on a current console. They could at least add the PSP/PS1 games, most smartphones can run PPSSPP decently.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I still use these today. But this was bound to happen sadly. I don't trust Sony at all with this stuff. It's why since last generation, you could tell that MS was way more serious about BC. Sony is for exclusives only.

I am in the same boat. I buy all multiplats for the Xbox now. I have no long term confidence with Sony.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for those still playing on those systems, I guess. It was inevitable, though, Vita's store is a bit of a surprise.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Partially yes. Sure, but it wasn't my decision Sony went with limited BC.
Oh I know I am just saying it's a silly comparison. I imagine these versions are rarely touched while Microsoft don't just use the same files and sell them. They recertify them and have specific emulation software for XBO that makes them run. These stores shutting down have nothing to do with that. For example, if Microsoft decided to shut down the 360 store, that will have 0 effect on the BC titles you are talking about about.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I've bought very few digital games on PS4/5, I have a couple dozen digital games stuck on my PS3. but since the majority of my 360 digital games are on One/series X I've gone deep on digital games there feeling much better about my purchases

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking of getting some ps1 classics in ps3. Will have to do that if this is true.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It was inevitable that Sony would do this considering their general attitude to previous generations but it still sucks. Especially when there probably won't be one last big sale.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know this site, I'd need to see this verified by some other outlets.

I'm assuming this would maintain access to re-download... but even sunsetting purchases for these consoles when there was a such a huge digital emphasis is super shitty.
I knew it and this is why i stick to physical releases, this was going to happen eventually. It always happens
These posts always come up in these threads, but with a store with a huge amount of digital-only releases, it's not really relevant

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
BTO24RhGqh.gif

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They already redesigned their websites and removed the ability to purchase anything that isn't PS4/PS5

The writing is on the wall.

The writing my be on the wall but it's still worth just waiting on official news before losing your mind about something we dont know any of the details about.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Also that's too short of a notice IMO. If the announcement is at the end of the month, the storefronts should not be shut down for at least a year or end of this year from that announcement.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This could also mean they are moving some store stuff over to the new store in anticipation of BC. One can at least hope and dream. I know Xbox recently started migrating all of the BC games off their old janky 360 store into the new store and that seemed to work smoothly enough.

Jul 1, 2020
If Sony isn't going to do the work to keep PS3 alive with backwards compatibility they need to at least keep the servers up to honor purchases that have already taken place.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Watching videogames getting locked in a single piece of hardware in 2021 is just bad. So no one will buy Metal Gear Solid 4 from now on? Lmao

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
It seemed inevitable once they "updated" the PSN store. This is why I will be buying multiplats digitally on Xbox instead of Playstation though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they should at the very least make psp, ps2, ps1 bc available on ps4/ps5 so they can keep milking them.
none of this trophy bullshit that will kill it on release either

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If real this is a big loss. PSP, Vita and PS3 online stores have many great games that are otherwise no longer legally available.

Even if it's not real, the fact that most people aren't surprised by this news or have just had their anxieties/fears justified goes to show how bad Sony treats their legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.