• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Of all the Disney IP they waste it on TRON? If true this is hella disappointing tbh
source.gif

mickaelaria

May 25, 2019
I can tell you guys that this is not true.
And no, I can't say why I know.
Either way it's heart warming to see people get excited for a Tron game.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no upcoming Tron films announced or TV series, so it's hard for me to believe they would have greenlit an AAA budget for an IP they don't own for something that isn't even a big series.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. I loved Tron Legacy but it wasn't a big success and all sequel stuff has been shitcanned. I doubt Ubi are making a big lite-MMO based on a fairly dead IP, especially considering they waited a long time to do that for The Division because they wanted ownership of the IP first so they didn't have to pay Tom Clancy royalties.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love Tron and will forever hate whoever canned Tron Uprising. I want this to be true, but I know it's 99.9% likely to be wishful thinking.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up for a new Tron game but Tron Legacy aesthetics puts a damper on it a bit. Legacy looks great but never felt much like Tron.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tron Evolution was already a prince of persia game with a tron skin so honestly this dev/IP pairing makes sense

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For Honor
Skull & Bones
Rainbow Six Siege

If this is true, Ubisoft have a knack making these kinds of AAA MP centric games.

Nov 8, 2017
Wait what? Ubisoft is making an Avatar game???

Yeah. Not sure how far into dev it is, but it makes sense:
  • 2.79 Billion Dollars at the Box Office in 2009. For an original SciFi IP that's a staggering debut.
  • Avatar 2 is coming in Dec 2021 with Avatar 3, 4 and 5 scheduled for 2 year intervals after that. The film series is going to be in the public consciousness quite heavily during the next generation of consoles.
  • The project started recruiting publicly in Feb 2017. Assuming 2017 is the start date, a 4 year dev cycle (slow recruting ramp up for the first 12 months + 3 years of heavy production) would put it releasing in 2021.

An oldschool movie tie-in game isn't likely to do that well, but it's Ubisoft Massive, so it's almost certainly an open world, AAA service title, the kind of thing that Ubisoft is experienced with and which seems to do great commercially in their hands. It will plausibly be ready to launch around the same time as the film to maximise that synergy.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Do it. Also make it VR compatible..... Because omg I've wanted it for years!

Fecking do it!

Make the disc arena like Sparc VR and take my money...

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Man, every single game rumor mentions "next gen consoles"... Switch will be slaughtered when PS5 launches, won't it? It's been a while since we last got a Switch game rumor.

Switch very much is its own market. If it manages to compete with this gen despite being less powerful than the Xbox one I think it'll do just fine doing what it always does.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Always down for more TRON but I do wonder what type of visual style they'll go for.(dam....it's nearly been a decade since TRON Legacy)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The only good Tron game in existence was made by Monolith which is in Warner Bros now, forced to make Lord of the Rings games till the end of days.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Yeah. Not sure how far into dev it is, but it makes sense:
  • 2.79 Billion Dollars at the Box Office in 2009. For an original SciFi IP that's a staggering debut.
  • Avatar 2 is coming in Dec 2021 with Avatar 3, 4 and 5 scheduled for 2 year intervals after that. The film series is going to be in the public consciousness quite heavily during the next generation of consoles.
  • The project started recruiting publicly in Feb 2017. Assuming 2017 is the start date, a 4 year dev cycle (slow recruting ramp up for the first 12 months + 3 years of heavy production) would put it releasing in 2021.

An oldschool movie tie-in game isn't likely to do that well, but it's Ubisoft Massive, so it's almost certainly an open world, AAA service title, the kind of thing that Ubisoft is experienced with and which seems to do great commercially in their hands. It will plausibly be ready to launch around the same time as the film to maximise that synergy.
Aw man I thought it was an Avatar: The Last Airbender game. My bad lol.

Avatar???? Woah that is just uhmmm what to expect by such a game? I did love the movie a lot. :D

So open world triple A in 2021. Sign me up. I can't imagine how the world ingame would look like. Pandora. With a day night time cycle. Oh man I hope they don't screw it up!!!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Damnit. I didn't know I needed a Tron based Souls-like Destiny...
Please let this be true!

ZudaPop

Dec 3, 2018
here's a question

why a Tron game when Disney has so many more successful properties right now?

like, as far as I can remember the last big Tron things were a cartoon that got canceled and a sequel to Legacy that didn't ever get off the ground

oh wait there was that one low budget runner game that came out three years ago and most of y'all probably don't even know exists

I just don't think they'd bother with a Tron game now

could be wrong
Tron runnr or something like that, I'm pretty sure there's a / somewhere. I actually really enjoyed that game.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Greetings, programs! Together we have achieved a great many things. We have created a vast, complex system. We've maintained it; we've improved it. We've rid it of its imperfection. Not to mention, rid it of the false deity who sought to enslave us! Kevin Flynn!! Where are you now?! My fellow programs, let there be no doubt that our world is a cage no more. For at this moment, the key to the next frontier is finally in our possession! And unlike our selfish creator, who reserved the privilege of our world only for himself, I will make their world open and available to all of us. Yes, to all of us! And whatever we find there, there, our system will grow. There, our system will blossom! Do this, prove yourselves, prove yourselves to me, be loyal to me, and I will never betray you! - Maximize efficiency, rid the new system of its imperfection! My vision is clear, fellow programs. Out there is a new world! Out there is our victory! Out there... is our destiny.