• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The studio is called 343 lol

y'all need to relax

Microsoft is right now hiring former Bungie developers/writers to steer 343 vision of Halo. Its clear that studio multiple atempts in trying to replicate Halo sucess failed every single time.

Every Halo from 343 dropped from the face of the earth in terms of popularity just some months after release. Destiny 2 is 3 years old now and its still played by some one million players daily. There is clearly a "secret formula" in play here.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Probably Destiny 3 is the kind of exclusive that is able to convince playstation fans without a gaming PC to buy an xbox (or finally build a gaming PC, lol)

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been one expansion.

It was solid, not a home run, in that time, they self published, moved an entire ecosystem from blizzard to steam, changed to "f2p" and introduced massive system changes to their game whilst also apparently creating a brand new IP on the side.

I don't think it will happen either, but this, 'helpless Bungo needs a publisher or else they flounder narrative has gain too much traction' ijs.
I mean, their output has suffered from the split, that is undeniable.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see what MS would gain from Bungie, unless they could convince them to work on Halo but...I really don't think they want to and could see a talent exodus if they made them. Honestly would be a better buy for pretty much anyone else in the industry, in particular Sony who are lacking an exclusive FPS of quality.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There are some credible concerns amongst the Destiny community about Bungie's current ability to create the content and make the changes necessary to fulfill Destiny's potential. Concerns that many don't expect even this years expansion to fix.

People are saying money but it's about resources too.
Money directly translates to resources, so its the same thing

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, their output has suffered from the split, that is undeniable.
They also went on record that kind of output from the first season pass was never going to happen again because it was unhealthy and it was burning out staff. So theres maybe a slight change in philosophy happening besides the loss of two studios.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I rather them be owned by Xbox. At least then we know Destiny will be on all platforms.

wonder how this makes 343i feel.

We wouldn't know that at all. I don't know why people make this Minecraft comparison when the target audience for both games is completely different. Hellblade 2 will not be available on all platforms, nor will a The Outer Worlds 2.

So we can't be sure that a Destiny Sequel would be released on all platforms. It is more likely that it wouldn't.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny would moat likely be like minecraft where its still everwhere but anything new from bungie would be xbox/pc only

Oct 28, 2017
Bungie tried so hard to become independent from Microsoft in the past. I think their high price might just reflect their wish to stay independent.
Might be their owner who sets the price, and not Bungie. And they might want to sell at their investment + expected roi from Bungie according to their timeline.

Just doubt its Bungie who can say how much they are worth.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We wouldn't know that at all. I don't know why people make this Minecraft comparison when the target audience for both games is completely different. Hellblade 2 will not be available on all platforms, nor will a The Outer Worlds 2.

So we can't be sure that a Destiny Sequel would be released on all platforms. It is more likely that it wouldn't.
A destiny sequel? Yeah why not, besides D2 is not going anywhere for the next 3 years at least.
A new IP? Won't be on a PS platform. But would still show up on steam.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Could see Destiny taking turns for the better under Microsoft honestly.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
i thought MS only wanted to adquire studios that weren't financially 'healthy' and may have some trouble to develop their games. Not Bungie's situation afaik.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what MS would gain from Bungie, unless they could convince them to work on Halo but...I really don't think they want to and could see a talent exodus if they made them. Honestly would be a better buy for pretty much anyone else in the industry, in particular Sony who are lacking an exclusive FPS of quality.
I think Sony realized it's futile to try to make an exclusive FPS when COD, Destiny, Battlefield, Overwatch, Apex Legends and (somewhat) Doom are so popular.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I think the main focus of this deal is on their new ip. Destiny is just a service for the next year's, not a full fledge new title (Destiny 3).

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer is corroborating:
www.eurogamer.net

Microsoft held talks to buy Bungie - report

UPDATE 4.50pm UK: Bungie has attempted to douse reports it has discussed acquisition with Microsoft. Replying on Twitte…
Microsoft and Bungie have held acquisition talks, according to a new report which Eurogamer's own sources can corroborate.
I've independently heard these talks have taken place, driven on Bungie's side by a desire to raise new funds for the studio, its projects and staff.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Making better games than Destiny.
OdHSHed.gif

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Getting Bungie back and Destiny 3 on Xbox/PC exclusively would be a real megaton and one BIG 3rd party property that will sell loads and loads of the Xbox Series.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is right now hiring former Bungie developers/writers to steer 343 vision of Halo. Its clear that studio multiple atempts in trying to replicate Halo sucess failed every single time.

Every Halo from 343 dropped from the face of the earth in terms of popularity just some months after release. Destiny 2 is 3 years old now and its still played by some one million players daily. There is clearly a "secret formula" in play here.
What are you on about? They didn't hire any former Bungie Developers, they asked a Bungie veteran who already works at Xbox as a creative director/executive producer (5 years) to help assist the team in shipping next year.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I think Sony realized it's futile to try to make an exclusive FPS when COD, Destiny, Battlefield, Overwatch, Apex Legends and (somewhat) Doom are so popular.

I dont think they want to compete with those, just offer something to that crowd, FPS has always been a weakness in the playstation studios portfolio. But we are getting off topic.

Interesting tidbit about bungie potentially driving these talks though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bungie isn't going to get acquired by anyone after going through all the trouble of going independent for a second time.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie would round out the Xbox AAA stable nicely. Can't help but wonder how different things could have been had Xbox let Bungie move on from Halo all those years ago.

Now that WB fell through it seems like a no-brainer for MS to buy Bungie and let them continue with Destiny 2 and build their next big new IP as an exclusive.

I wonder what other publishers Bungie has been in talks with and what price they're asking.

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
I can't believe I have to say this, but Disney…is not going to buy Microsoft.

GOBankingRates' Evaluation of
Disney Net Worth
$128.8B

GOBankingRates' Evaluation of Microsoft Net Worth
$519,875,667

I was mainly being facetious - poking fun at Disney's forever buying up of anything and everything they can get their hands on. But, in reality, Disney could buy Microsoft as well as large parts of Europe if they wanted to.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think its improbable, but you bet that the second Bungie gets under the MS Umbrella, 343 is never touching a single Halo product ever again.
Everyone knows that's not how it's going to work.

They'll change management before they prevent the studio that was made by MS specifically to work on Halo (hence being named after 343 Guilty Spark) to handle anything on the franchise again.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Disney Net Worth
$128.8B

$519,875,667

I was mainly being facetious - poking fun at Disney's forever buying up of anything and everything they can get their hands on. But, in reality, Disney could buy Microsoft as well as large parts of Europe if they wanted to.

What? MSFT has a market cap of 1.58T. Microsoft is worth about six times what Disney is. No, Disney could not buy them.

That "evaluation" is literally off by three orders of magnitude. The fuck?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Strange story.
Why would they quit Microsoft, then go to Activision, then go independent, only to go back to Microsoft again?

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
Disney Net Worth
$128.8B

GOBankingRates' Evaluation of Microsoft Net Worth$519,875,667

Ummm is that source saying Microsoft has a net worth of only 518 million cause im pretty sure that's like about a trillion and a half off of its net market cap.
Edit: beaten

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Disney Net Worth
$128.8B

$519,875,667

that isnt how net worth works....
or market caps
or liquidity
or buying companies
or pure common business sense

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They'll change management before they prevent the studio that was made by MS specifically to work on Halo (hence being named after 343 Guilty Spark) to handle anything on the franchise again.
Thats also probable. I can see MS being very unhappy with 343 souring the Xbox launch like they did.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I think MS will eventually acquire Bungie and put them on Halo once again.

343i might be in danger if it happens.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah. If MS does end up buying Bungie, I think Bungie and 343 will have a lot of crossover and communicate a lot but they will be different studios with 343 working on Halo.