• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We had an article two weeks ago saying the game is early in development.

The article was a lot more trustworthy than "deleted Reddit post referencing perhaps correctly or incorrectly a livestream that may or may not have happened about a guy who predicted in late 2018 that Dan Houser would leave Rockstar."
Early development for a GTA game means we're not getting to see it announced for another 4 years. Add a year for a delay and maybe another 6 months just in case, are you saying GTA VI is coming no sooner than Holiday 2025? 12 years after GTA V?
Nah, this thing is coming within 2 years for sure. Even then, that's 9 whopping years after the previous entry.

Oct 26, 2017
Early development for a GTA game means we're not getting to see it announced for another 4 years. Add a year for a delay and maybe another 6 months just in case, are you saying GTA VI is coming no sooner than Holiday 2025? 12 years after GTA V?
Nah, this thing is coming within 2 years for sure. Even then, that's 9 whopping years after the previous entry.

Kotaku just said early in development two weeks ago but that Rockstar might release it unfinished and just update it for a while after to get out in a more reasonable timeframe for their workers.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to be VR only, they could do it like No Man's Sky, VR players would probably have an advantage online.
They should just go all out if they do it. Half life alyx that shit lol.

GTA changed perspectives multiple times before (birds eye, 3rd person, 1st person), it wouldn't be unheard of.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Because the random insiders told us what we wanted to hear

Yan & Fun are not random insiders. Yan particularly has been leaking in the GTA community for years and has a 100% track record, out of all insiders on the internet he probably has the best reputation. He has never gotten a single thing wrong. I'm friends with Fun on the GTAForums and he's an extremely trustworthy guy, who has a lot of inside knowledge about R*. He's been datamining GTA/RDR for years.

I don't know why they have conflicting info compared to Schrier but they aren't "random insiders".

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Watch it launch in PS4 and Xbox One this year and ported to PS5, Series X and PC next year, like GTAV.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to GTA6 I'm mainly wondering if anything from GTA5 Online will carry over to 6's MP mode. After soooo many updates and such an extreme amount of people putting in hundreds if not thousands of hours into 5 I don't think you can expect a large portion of the playerbase to be okay with starting back at 0 again.

I'm wondering as well. I put thousands of hours into GTA Online, but what would carry over? If our properties carry over, I think they'd have to recreate the map in GTA 6 Online. Otherwise, it would not fit in terms of visual fidelity if they just port it over.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm wondering as well. I put thousands of hours into GTA Online, but what would carry over? If our properties carry over, I think they'd have to recreate the map in GTA 6 Online. Otherwise, it would not fit in terms of visual fidelity if they just port it over.
I think this is an issue not just R* faces with GTA Online, but basically any publisher with a long going GaaS game. How do you make a sequel to a GaaS game without pissing off the people who've put an extreme amount of time into the currently released game, and also how do you not launch with less content? I can't imagine a GTA6 MP mode launching with even 50% of the content GTA Online currently has.
I honestly think the best thing R* could do is just spin GTA Online off as its own product which gets updates for decades to come, including a full graphical make-over every 5-10 years. And then whenever a new mainline GTA releases they can add that GTA's map to GTA Online, or replace it if the new game shares a setting with an older GTA.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is an issue not just R* faces with GTA Online, but basically any publisher with a long going GaaS game.
I honestly think the best thing R* could do is just spin GTA Online off as its own product which gets updates for decades to come, including a full graphical make-over every 5-10 years. And then whenever a new mainline GTA releases they can add that GTA's map to GTA Online, or replace it if the games have the same setting.

Yeah that sounds like the best approach. They recreated RDR1's map just for RDR2 so I can see them doing it again for GTA.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
same site lol
3232bb0506.png

and just to be clear, of course GTAVI has been in development for a good while now, but production in 2014? nah.
So it's been in the works since GTAV was done? I don't believe that.

Also the large map part is probably fake. All GTAs have been very linear so far. I wonder if it'll have cars and guns. And thefts.
Large map??

Nope, this couldn't ever be true. I could never see Rockstar making a large map.

Also I will say the recent rumor swirling saying Rockstar just started on GTA VI production is certainly fake, it's absolutely been in production for a while now. Back to this rumor though, I feel 2014 just might be pushing it a bit.
RockStar always starts preproduction a year after the last game released, I think 2014 makes sense

Last edited:

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
I would be down for an European settings, especially if they go the multiple map/dlc route it'll make more sense too... UK, France, Germany etc...

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
same site lol
3232bb0506.png

and just to be clear, of course GTAVI has been in development for a good while now, but production in 2014? nah.

Pre production for the next GTA game happens almost as soon as the previous one has shipped. I'd guess it's been in full scale development for at least the last two years at this point.

For some strange reason people think because they made RDR2 recently that there isn't a completely different smaller team working on the next GTA.

Oct 26, 2017
Pre production for the next GTA game happens almost as soon as the previous one has shipped. I'd guess it's been in full scale development for at least the last two years at this point.

For some strange reason people think because they made RDR2 recently that there isn't a completely different smaller team working on the next GTA.

People like to parrot the 'every single employee was working on RDR2' narrative, whilst conveniently ignoring that GTAV has constantly been getting new stuff.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Large map is cool.

Just give us more cool shit to do in-game. I thought the stock market aspect in 5 was cool but I would love a GTA where I can be let's say a drug dealer or underground black market seller on the side.

A co-op feature would be nice. More car and character customization too.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
People like to parrot the 'every single employee was working on RDR2' narrative, whilst conveniently ignoring that GTAV has constantly been getting new stuff.

Did Rockstar even say that every employee was working on RDR2? They said all the studios worked on it but that doesn't mean every single team within said studios was working on it at the same time.

GusFacsimile

Oct 25, 2017
Hope there's more gameplay this time around: ambulance, taxi, cop roles, drug dealing etc. Support for role playing would be great too.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
damn they are ruining grand theft auto, the hallway gameplay is what made those games good.
#ClassicGTA #HallwaysAreHome #PleaseWashYourHands

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
The details from the different reports are so vague we can't really take anything from them.

GTAVI, or some form, has absolutely been at some level of pre-production since 2014/2015 - maybe without any of the major players or vast resources but foundations would be getting laid and tested in various capacities. Guessing development has only truly ramped up in the last two years; and the development of these games is incredibly demanding and I can only imagine they're tinkering a lot with the games structure. I'm guessing they didn't have a clear direction for the game, and that goes with quotes from them over the last couple of years, which has meant development has been anything but streamlined.

Gotta throw a vague Q3 2022-Q4 2023 guess on this game dropping.

People are reading too much into the small map stuff, the map will of course be large but they're not getting into the arms race from games recently about larger and larger maps and instead just focusing on a more modest sized map with more detail.

Also lets not rule out these being controlled leaks anyway to keep people expectations in check while simultaneously putting the game in people's minds. It's coming, just not that soon.

GTA Online is going to be a massive headache for them and how that's handled

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something, or does his statement literally not make sense. If its in pre-prod, its still in early development, would it not?

He's saying the game is not in early development. It started pre-production in 2014, and now (2020) is much farther in the development phase.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
The only thing GTA needs to do is tone down the Cop Aggressiveness AI .... 4 and 5 made shootouts just too hard and frustrating for it to be any fun.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have an odd request but the one thing I'd want from GTAVI would be greater focus on alternative sports and extreme sports as playable options.

I'd like to see longboards, skaeboards, surf boards, wingsuits, climbing mechanics.