• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a few days ago, a french gaming site posted this article claiming that a D2 remaster is coming and is being handled by VV, citing sources that wish to remain anonymous.

www.actugaming.net

Diablo 2 Resurrected sortirait fin 2020, d'autres infos sur les projets Blizzard

Alors que la branche Activision a rassuré les investisseurs ce matin, nous venons d'apprendre, de sources proches du studio, que plusieurs projets sont en préparation chez Blizzard. Parmi ces derniers, on y retrouve un certain remaster de Diablo 2, où nos indiscrétions nous ont permis d'en...

I'm personally not familiar with this site, so I can't speak to their credibility. However, not long after this article, Gamespot put up a preorder page for....an E3 exclusive Diablo 2 Tyrael Funko PoP??

That is... very random, especially it being listed as D2 Tyrael. We also can see the Blizzard logo among the companies listed in Geoff Keighley's Summer Games Fest, so it fits if it was supposed to be an E3 announcement.

Then, possibly related, Blizzard randomly had "emergency maintenance" on Diablo 2 today.

twitter.com

Blizzard CS - The Americas on Twitter

“[#D2] We are currrently performing emergency maintenance. During this time, the game will be unavailable for play. https://t.co/q8SEGe7M5V”

And, to top it all off, 2020 just so happens to be Diablo 2's 20th anniversary.

So, maybe something really is in the works? A lot of weird activity around a 20 year old game over a short period of time. What do you guys think? Coincidence, or do you dare to believe?

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Is Diablo 4 so far away that they are able to release a remaster before its launch?

Anyway, I believe in Rod Ferguson.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I thought all hands were on deck for D4 to get Blizzard back on track?

Honestly though I just don't care about a D2 remaster.

Also guys, WC3 reforged was supposed to be a remake, this is a remaster so you can't really fuck it up the same way with just higher res or cleaning up the gfx for modern display... I hope.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Interesting.
Wonder if they will actually add new stuff to it or if it's just higher res.
Just please don't remove tthe original and make the remaster online only.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who played through Diablo 2 for the very first time just recently and absolutely fucking LOVED it... yes, oh yes, I'm very very into this, oh yes please.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Vicarious has proven a few times now that they care about source material that they work with so I'd be pretty pleased if they were handling it, actually.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
As long as they don't screw it up...I didn't get to play the original much (I was full into SC2, WC3 and C&C at the time)

I rather have them all focus on the Diablo 4 release then looking at remastering

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Only if they go for cel-shading and a real money auction house otherwise this is dead in the water

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I lovedddd Diablo 2: LoD. Diablo 2 is probably my 2nd most played game ever, and I'd love to see a remaster/remake, but after WC3: Reforged... I don't have the highest hopes. Normally I'd be even more weary of an outside team doing it, but Vicarious Visions did great work with that Destiny 2 PC port.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Is Diablo 4 so far away that they are able to release a remaster before its launch?

Blizzard qualified the announcement of the game by saying it's not releasing any time soon even within the context of Blizzard Time. I don't think you need to be cynical to assume the only reason it was announced was so Acti could say "Here's en egg our golden goose will lay that isn't a glorified expansion pack." My guess: Blizzard will announce at BlizzCon next year that it'll release in 2022, and then it'll be delayed into 2023.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Cautiously optimistic because Vicarious are involved. I'll gladly buy this if it's not a mess. Something to tide me over until D4 (if that's even good) would be nice, but if it's a steaming pile of doo doo I'm saving my pennies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Blizzard qualified the announcement of the game by saying it's not releasing any time soon even within the context of Blizzard Time. I don't think you need to be cynical to assume the only reason it was announced was so Acti could say "Here's en egg our golden goose will lay that isn't a glorified expansion pack." My guess: Blizzard will announce at BlizzCon next year that it'll release in 2022, and then it'll be delayed into 2023.
In hindsight I'm surprised they even committed to releasing on current-gen consoles.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
After the culling of Warcraft III, I can't imagine how they will butcher this.

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
Not sure if I could handle another remaster of a classic Blizzard game after the shitshow that was WCIII Forged.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting studio choise but of this is true... who is making Crash?
Toys For Bob's been heavily rumored to be collabing with Vicarious on it. Kind of weird since you'd think Vicarious would've been the ND of the franchise from here on out, but the IP's been passed around. Vicarious did NST, TFB did the Switch port, Beenox did CTRNF, and now TFB is possibly the lead on the next main game?

So is VV doing Spyro then?

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
Toys For Bob's been heavily rumored to be collabing with Vicarious on it. Kind of weird since you'd think Vicarious would've been the ND of the franchise from here on out, but the IP's been passed around. Vicarious did NST, TFB did the Switch port, Beenox did CTRNF, and now TFB is possibly the lead on the next main game?

So is VV doing Spyro then?
Just want to let you know that while VV wasn't just focused on Crash, but also Destiny during that time. They shouldn't have any issues handling both at the same time for Crash and Diablo 2

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Casual reminder that like most Acti studios, Vicarious Visions is very large and them working on one thing doesn't mean they're not working on [x] or [y] other thing.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It would have to be a remake right? Isn't this the one that developers have said would be nearly impossible to port with higher widescreen resolutions?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'd imagine if VV is on the port, there are plans to do more than just a PC release. Diablo 2 has aged really well and would be a great $20-30 dollar title depending on the level of remastering.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
36217.gif