• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
We gonna carry longboats across land in this?

aSanOM4.jpg
We didn't in Odyssey even though the Diolkos is part of the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"What if reality wasn't what you thought it was? What if this was all a construction? A masterfully crafted simulation? There's no way of truly knowing, is there? Not for sure. Anything can be simulated. And finding the answer could mean erasure. From the build. From the code. From everything."

0lC8vVo.gif

digital-mountains-virtual-reality-simulation-with-glitch-picture-id1094868060

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A storm is coming.
You are awaited in Valhalla.

"The wave function collapses the paths into nodes which branch out. Again, and again and again.
And so I wonder, can you feel the wave collapsing trying to course correct Desmond's act of defiance?"

"Time is unyielding. It always corrects itself. The incoming node needs for the world to end. The node is near."

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
OP you are better at building the hype than Ubisoft. I keep checking back to see what you come up with next.

Can't wait for the official reveal but this is good in the meantime.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
The issue with giving the player the ability to assassinate anybody regardless of the stat checks that dicate damage is that it creates an optimal strategy that for all intents and purposes, can't be beat, which, in a 50-100 hr RPG where they want you making different builds and investing in playstyles, each of which has huge advantages and disadvantages isn't ideal. The proof of this is simply the two AC games before Origins and Odyssey. Specifically Unity. They wanted you to be able to create custom builds and approach any situation the way you want depending on that build and play style. Lighter armor/outfits=less health but more stealth. Heavy armor=less stealth but more health. Etc. Thing is this creates a contradiction. Because like hitman, the aggressive route coincides with a conscious choice by the devs to make you extremely weak even if you wanna go heavy armor and go in through the front gates. The most notable example of this being that no other AC game has AI that shoots you as often as Unity. So the best strategy was stealthing through using the phantom blade and hidden blade because they bypassed every single stat check, and doing anything other than that was more of an exercise in frustration when it was intended to be a way for players to express themselves in a sandbox at least according to most pieces of marketing material. The last two AC games, especially Odyssey, took the ideas from the above trailer and actually made them work. So you actually HAVE different builds that result in very very different experiences. Like, a stealth archer build feels more like a TPS game compared to the dark souls brawling of a warrior build. Past AC wass almost like the issue with MGS's optimal strategy taken to an extreme. Like yes you can go guns blazing in MGS, and there's are ton of stuff you can do to make it's very defined systems fit your intention, but why invest time into getting better at any of that when you have this, the ultimate optimal strategy from minute 1:

The last two AC games are designed with the idea that every player gets their cookie. So the stealthy assassin, brutal warrior, archer, and everything in between, all of these are genuinely valid choices for the player to make when it comes to their approach, nothing is optimal beyond the other builds and to get the most out of a playstyle they expect you to invest in it. So the stealth assassin who can stealth kill everything requires some investment from the player. And most importantly, you can't be everything at once ala Skyrim. You can't be the deadliest assassin, best warrior, and stealth archer all at once.

In terms of odyssey the issue was the balancing on the skillchecks. Even with a full stealth build loaded with Assasin Damage gear you couldnt 1 shot some enemies so the game didn't let you actually play that build in a fun way. that was a major issue since that playstyle has been the series calling card for a really long time now.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
OP settle down... folks are gonna click in expecting new information
Then there is the chance the new info may be later than sooner... unless ofc OP knows something

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I gave up on waiting for a new AC and started playing AC3. I... maybe I should have waited.

It's not that bad
AC3 is the biggest disappointment I had in the series. It's not the worst installment, don't get me wrong, but it's when I was like "alright, the ship is sinking"

The ship rose again with Origins.

Oct 25, 2017
AC3 is the biggest disappointment I had in the series. It's not the worst installment, don't get me wrong, but it's when I was like "alright, the ship is sinking"

The ship rose again with Origins.

What sucks is that all the pieces are there for something truly great, but they're all misplaced :\ I'm still sort of enjoying it, but it's mostly because it's the only AC I haven't played really and I am *so* fucking hard up for AC right now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of odyssey the issue was the balancing on the skillchecks. Even with a full stealth build loaded with Assasin Damage gear you couldnt 1 shot some enemies so the game didn't let you actually play that build in a fun way. that was a major issue since that playstyle has been the series calling card for a really long time now.
I mean with the right min maxing you could deal with most threats as an assassin. With plenty of opportunity for follow through damage after that initial hit. Seriously you are like, Saints Row levels of overpowered in this game. (Which probably isn't a coincidence considering the lead's history involves saints row).

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Again: For the record, I don't know anything. I'm doing this because I want to "maintain" the hype for you all. It's coming.

"Change your mind. Subvert your perception. Stop this world. Bend it into something new. Fill in the blanks, the ones hiding between words, between worlds. Find the spaces that we could not erase. The variables that ended up erasing us.If you do not. they will erase you as well. "

"We were wrong. Order never served us. It has kept us within the code, within the boundaries. We were tricked into thinking we were the ones writing the rules when they were in fact guiding us to our conclusion."

"You need to transgress. You of all people understand the value of disobeying.
Take an unexpected turn away from the path that is drawn straight ahead of you.
Nothing is real, everything is permitted."

NAN6vs5.jpg

http://www.accesstheanimus.com/Nothing_is_Real.html

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
It's still annoying to get notified without reason.

agreed. I've got >100 hours in Origins and >300 in Odyssey. I will buy their dumb Ultimate digital edition the second it goes live. It's annoying to come in here, see art and weird animus animations, get excited thinking real news is here, then realize its just the OP.

OP, I love your passion, but make another thread or something.
e: is there an AC community thread? that'd probably be a good place

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
agreed. I've got >100 hours in Origins and >300 in Odyssey. I will buy their dumb Ultimate digital edition the second it goes live. It's annoying to come in here, see art and weird animus animations, get excited thinking real news is here, then realize its just the OP.

OP, I love your passion, but make another thread or something.
e: is there an AC community thread? that'd probably be a good place
This!
I'm quite annoyed by now by all the partnerships ubi is putting out there these days. Gaming sites posting daily AC related content, forum threads popping up, obviously to make people excited for the upcoming reveal, but at least for me it works opposite. Makes me annoyed af and less excited

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Feudal Japan will be their trump card if the series stagnates one day.

The potential that setting has for AC is crazy, especially with next generation tech.

vin-hill-ac-rs-kyoto-final-vinhill.jpg

derek-weselake-gionfestivalderek.jpg

18f3139a4aa9787f293ed5d428085abc.jpg

sitebgjpg.jpeg

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If watchdogs is going to be a next gen launch title this year, then i think ac is gonna be pushed to next year

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I think we´re never getting a feudal Japan AC
But at least Ghost of tsushima seems to be the next better thing

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Japanese assassin setting really just has been kinda done to death with various games and yea... ninjas big woop. Feels like it would feel too samey or not distinct enough. A China setting would be much more unique

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
But they already did China
Japanese assassin setting really just has been kinda done to death with various games and yea... ninjas big woop. Feels like it would feel too samey or not distinct enough. A China setting would be much more unique

How many assassins creed like ninja games exist out there?

This is one of those things that people like to parrot but almost every example they give is so old or obscure game most people here have never played.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Devs, if you're reading this - please, for the love of everything include an "immersive" mode like that they updated Breakpoint with. Options for the removal of level gating, damage tier loot drops, etc. This is all I ask, after 100+ hours in both Origins and 130+ in Odyssey, please let us pick up a weapon or item without a level tier. Let us freely explore from the beginning, I want that more than anything - free from the scaling issues, and levels.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It has? The last ninja games were Mark of the Ninjas and Shadow Tactics, and the only upcoming one is Ghost.

There are a lot of games with ninjas, but very few games were you get to play as an actually stealthy ninja

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Devs, if you're reading this - please, for the love of everything include an "immersive" mode like that they updated Breakpoint with. Options for the removal of level gating, damage tier loot drops, etc. This is all I ask, after 100+ hours in both Origins and 130+ in Odyssey, please let us pick up a weapon or item without a level tier. Let us freely explore from the beginning, I want that more than anything - free from the scaling issues, and levels.

Ubisoft:

200.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How many assassins creed like ninja games exist out there?

This is one of those things that people like to parrot but almost every example they give is so old or obscure game most people here have never played.
AC is in a very special place in the context of the industry because while they present stylized versions of the locations present, based on years of reference, consulting, and research, the locations in the final product feel like a genuine tour throughout history. Instead of say, a game like Red Dead, Mafia, or GTA which features fictional locations based on actual locations they try as hard as possible to say, "this is the actual place." And that portrayal is always different from what people actually expect. Like people expected a London that was dark and gritty and had no sun vs the bright and sunny portrayal we got, for Egypt to be comprised almost entirely of sand over an explosion of conflicting cultures, etc. AC Japan would probably be nothing like the decade of fanarts. Especially since the series has shifted away from the simple but carefully coordinated and cinematic style of game that Ghost of Tsushima is trying to be.

i still want a WW2, Vietnam or Coldwar setting. Something more modern instead of historical settings
They've said that the problem with modern settings is that you lose a lot of what makes assassin's creed, assassin's creed. Once you start doing things like introducing guns and vehicles you lose a lot of incentive to drive around. For a comparable example on paper. Was anyone still driving around in Saints Row once they introduced the ability to run at super speed and fly even though that was a core aspect of their gameplay loop in previous titles? It's the reason why during the WW1 segment of Syndicate every vehicle on the map was conveniently disabled.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017

Bahaha - let me dream fam! I just miss that feeling of being able to approach an Assassin's Creed game free from worrying about inventory and level management outside of fashion. I enjoy the map clearing, but it's not why I love this franchise! I knew Unity was coming to lock levels in for good.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

they wont do that when they can sell you boosters

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
they wont do that when they can sell you boosters

That's the thing though - it took months of negative criticism to change Breakpoint, but it happened. It's wild to me that AC escaped that focus of trying to shift way from RPG-lite management with weapon tiers and levels. But seeing how much they've listened and changed Breakpoint, how amazing would it be if they did this from the start? Granted, the leveling doesn't feel like any issue past 50 because everything seems to tier down but that journey feels a bit hollow feeling like you've got to get there to really enjoy exploring.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing though - it took months of negative criticism to change Breakpoint, but it happened. It's wild to me that AC escaped that focus of trying to shift way from RPG-lite management with weapon tiers and levels. But seeing how much they've listened and changed Breakpoint, how amazing would it be if they did this from the start? Granted, the leveling doesn't feel like any issue past 50 because everything seems to tier down but that journey feels a bit hollow feeling like you've got to get there to really enjoy exploring.

Because transitioning to an RPG was a step in the right direction for AC. That isn't the case with Ghost Recon.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Because transitioning to an RPG was a step in the right direction for AC. That isn't the case with Ghost Recon.

I've never felt like it was a step in the wrong direction for AC, I love the Origins approach to the gameplay and map design, but why not give options for allowing players to experience the game free from the level gating? I don't think sifting through scores of similar weapons to dismantle/sell at level tiers is necessarily the best approach. Give experience points for ability management, allow the map to be fully explorable from the jump, and let us sift through inventory as we please - some players may love the dismantling and percentage perks to certain weapons, or others like myself just enjoy the simplicity of different attacks with cooler aesthetic designs.