• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. So the
doors locked behind the robots saying "not ready yet" was fucking nothing?

Sad.
I mean, the DLC came out like 2-3 months after the game. You've had years to learn what it was about.

It's a good game and the PC-version isn't inferior to the console counterpart, in my opinion--it's just sub-par compared to what we're used to.
Yeah, the PC version is far and away the best version, with the exception of their middleware occasionally crapping the bed (in a way it can't on PS4).

It's not spectacular, but the quality of the game itself more than makes up for its technical shortcomings.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They should have hire durante to do some clean up and relaunch it. If xseed can afford to do that then there is no reason why SE can't.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not all that anyways.
Yeah this is my take. I beat every scenario of the game and got the vast majority of the endings, and I'd honestly say the game is....alright. It was a decent time, and I don't regret my time spent with it at all. That being said, it wasn't the savior that Era told me it was. Decent game with fun combat and ridiculously anime/hokey writing and character designs, but I don't feel any need to ever replay it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
How hard is it for a producer/project manager at Square Enix to just say "Okay we sold 3.5 million copies of this game, and the PC release was actually very well received except some things are broken and we shouldn't leave customers using a third party fix forever, lets call PlatinumGames up, pay them to have two programmers spend a week with a few QA guys and get a patch out."

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is my take. I beat every scenario of the game and got the vast majority of the endings, and I'd honestly say the game is....alright. It was a decent time, and I don't regret my time spent with it at all. That being said, it wasn't the savior that Era told me it was. Decent game with fun combat and ridiculously anime/hokey writing and character designs, but I don't feel any need to ever replay it.

Yup, I've seen them do combat better elsewhere to be honest. The story didn't grab me either. The way people were talking made it sound like it was one of the best games ever made. The soundtrack was amazing though.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
With the state of most SE ports on PC, it's clear that they simply don't care. I find it hard to believe they are completely oblivious to the mod and fan fix scene for many of their games.

Players clearly like their games because evidently they sell very well, but the take away from that is that they did a good enough job and don't need to do more.

That being said, I'd still highly recommend Nier on PC and use the FAR patch. I love pretty much everything about that game, with the exception of
the virus run

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It runs. And the PC and PS4 versions are on the same patch.
Anybody expecting more was bound to be disappointed.
Still the game of the year, and not even close.
…which means nothing when the PC version has issues specific to that platform.
That doesn't stop it being the definitive version of the game once modded-up, if your PC is fast enough to brute-force good performance out of it, but it doesn't excuse Square-Enix abandoning the release.

This game sold about a million copies on Steam. Times like this make me believe that PC gamers don't really care about the quality of ports.
People are still praising SEGA for their half-assed late ports too.
It's clear that they don't really care, or don't care about playing games with a keyboard and mouse.

Your only option is to remove the game from your account and buy it again.
Awesome. Is there actually any new content other than some wallpapers though?
Even if it is just the wallpapers, they really should have upgraded existing owners - like pretty much everyone else does on Steam.

How hard is it for a producer/project manager at Square Enix to just say "Okay we sold 3.5 million copies of this game, and the PC release was actually very well received except some things are broken and we shouldn't leave customers using a third party fix forever, lets call PlatinumGames up, pay them to have two programmers spend a week with a few QA guys and get a patch out."
"We sold a million copies on Steam and it costs us $0 to do nothing."

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
…which means nothing when the PC version has issues specific to that platform.
That doesn't stop it being the definitive version of the game once modded-up, if your PC is fast enough to brute-force good performance out of it, but it doesn't excuse Square-Enix abandoning the release.

It's clear that they don't really care, or don't care about playing games with a keyboard and mouse.

Awesome. Is there actually any new content other than some wallpapers though?
Even if it is just the wallpapers, they really should have upgraded existing owners - like pretty much everyone else does on Steam.

"We sold a million copies on Steam and it costs us $0 to do nothing."

Performance is a problem on all platform.
It's a game running at 1080p on PS4 PRO and the framerate not holding up.
That's something I doubt they'll fix.

BUT, there are 3 actual issues for the PC version:
-Resolution in fullscreen is borked. (Easy fix... They should fix this)
-MSAA breaks the draw distance
-Cutscenes are badly encoded.

Save for MSAA, these 2 other issues are fixed by FAR or fan mods.
Even then, if these were fix, I'd still recommend FAR for the bloom resolution.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
On the bright side, I don't have to worry about a patch screwing up all the time I took to get FAR, ReShade, and the HD texture mod to work nicely together and look amazing.

I kinda don't trust Square/Platinum to make a decent patch for this game. Great as it is, story/art/writing wise, it's a technical mess that really makes me wonder about the coding/engine guys at Platinum.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Hoping for a patch 2 years after launch was a losing battle.

What we really should hope for is that they have learned and won't repeat the same mistakes with Babylons fall

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The PC port was a dismal effort and giving it literally zero support makes it infinitely worse. The fact that this for this forum's PC GOTY in 2017 is an embarrassment and is the same crap we get from mainstream reviews that always fail to mention technical flaws.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
That sucks. So the
doors locked behind the robots saying "not ready yet" was fucking nothing?

Sad.
Damn, if they would have just supported higher resolution on PC I would have double dipped. I love Nier and want to support the game as much as possible,bit not like this. Any type of extras would have gotten me to buy it, why does this suck?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a patch 2 years after launch was a losing battle.
They're expecting people to pay $40 for a "GotY" Edition two years on. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they might have patched the game for a re-release after it exceeded all expectations.

Damn, if they would have just supported higher resolution on PC I would have double dipped. I love Nier and want to support the game as much as possible,bit not like this. Any type of extras would have gotten me to buy it, why does this suck?
It does support higher resolutions on PC. The issue is that there's a bug which causes it to output at one resolution lower than you selected, and then scale it up to your selected resolution again.
It is rendering at your selected resolution, but the output is blurred for no reason.

This is fixed by using the FAR mod, or any tool which can force it to run in borderless windowed mode.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The PC port was a dismal effort and giving it literally zero support makes it infinitely worse. The fact that this for this forum's PC GOTY in 2017 is an embarrassment and is the same crap we get from mainstream reviews that always fail to mention technical flaws.

Let's not get into hyperbole territories. It has technical flaws but they had the right guideline: Arbitrary resolution support, multiple options and even MSAA options.
The implementation isnt good but the option is here.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NieR: Automata's mouse and keyboard controls are offensively bad. Fortunately, a very talented modder named Methanhydrat stepped in to provide a rather excellent mod that gives the game mouse+KB controls that border on being as good as an actual game made people who knew what they were doing. https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1221-nier-automata-input-overhaul-mod/

Methanhydrat is also responsible for the Dead Space 1/2 mouse fixes, which are absolutely essential, IMHO. Deserves a medal.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This game sold about a million copies on Steam. Times like this make me believe that PC gamers don't really care about the quality of ports.
Judging from all available metrics it sold far more than a million on Steam by now.

It's the most successful Japanese S-E game on PC by a huge margin (outside MMOs).

Which SEGA ports are you talking about?
The most recent ones I played were Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Shining Resonance Refrain, and both were standout high-quality affairs in pretty much every aspect.

It does support higher resolutions on PC. The issue is that there's a bug which causes it to output at one resolution lower than you selected, and then scale it up to your selected resolution again.
It is rendering at your selected resolution, but the output is blurred for no reason.

This is fixed by using the FAR mod, or any tool which can force it to run in borderless windowed mode.
That's particularly silly, but their arbitrary resolution support is actually a bit half-assed on all platforms. E.g. even on the PS4 Pro they don't scale the postprocessing and AO rendertargets and you end up with fugly artifacts in those.
PC is the same in that regard - or even worse due to higher possible resolutions - but I contributed a fix for that to FAR.

Apparently extremely difficult. I also don't understand why.
(FWIW, a while back Ken Berry from XSEED sent me an email saying "hey we finally got JP voice rights for ToCS1 and 2, how much to patch that in?", I said "Shouldn't take much time, costs X", and shortly after that it was done; and it even easily paid for itself when combined with a sale and the patch pushing it to the front page!)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
With Kaldaien's patch, am I better off getting this game on PC, or would the Xbox One X version still be better?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Which SEGA ports are you talking about?
The most recent ones I played were Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Shining Resonance Refrain, and both were standout high-quality affairs in pretty much every aspect.
Catherine, Yakuza 0, Vanquish, and Bayonetta all had issues and little-to-no accommodations made for keyboard and mouse use (all bad to varying degrees).
Though many of the issues remain, SEGA has at least stepped in and these games did all receive updates to fix some of the issues that they had at launch. They even removed Denuvo from Yakuza 0 recently.

That's particularly silly, but their arbitrary resolution support is actually a bit half-assed on all platforms. E.g. even on the PS4 Pro they don't scale the postprocessing and AO rendertargets and you end up with fugly artifacts in those.
PC is the same in that regard - or even worse due to higher possible resolutions - but I contributed a fix for that to FAR.
Ah yes, I had forgotten that there were other issues due to the post-processing and AO not scaling correctly with resolution. A tool that forces borderless windowed mode will fix the blurred output, but not those issues.
Thanks for the fix, as it does look a lot better with those issues corrected.

With Kaldaien's patch, am I better off getting this game on PC, or would the Xbox One X version still be better?
It depends on your PC spec, but likely PC.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Did they also get the awful HDR output from theXbox One version?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still haven't completed this game because of the framerate issues. I can max out the majority of games I play, or at least maintain about 60 frames, but even with the FAR mod I sit at around 30-40 FPS in Nier. I really don't understand why it has such poor performance.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Are they really? The PS4 version got patches up until May or something, while the PC version came out in March.
Yes, the PC version got a patch around the DLC that contains all the changes made to the console version (even the final PS4 patch, which didn't release until the following week).

They may have also done a few adjustments for PC-specific stuff (I swear the KBM controls changed slightly after the patch), but none of the graphics or stability issues were ever addressed. But except for the freezing bug (caused by problems with the implementation of their GI middleware), the rest of the issues are minor and have workarounds.