• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Nier Replicant, Legend of Mana, Mass Effect Trilogy, Baldur's Gate 3, Pathfinder 2, Trudogard, Encased, Solasta, Biomutant, Diablo 2.

There are still many others too but I'm not sure about 2021, like Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
The Ascent looks great, seems like it is a Diablo like?

c0fec3e7-0557-42c9-b331-e74c64524419.jpg

f090ffeb-d360-4e47-baee-70b007749def.jpg

657b553a-d9ef-4f38-a520-01e30736578d.jpg

ca153644-cc90-4659-86c0-3756cdaa32a3.jpg

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD - will definitely release in English this year. The original is amazing. The Japanese version had issues upon initial release, which were patched to the point where the game is a straight upgrade from the original. They unfortunately did not use the higher quality music, but my guess on that was they simply don't have the original uncompressed tracks archived. Based on what someone reliable on here once stated about Persona 3's archival status (total mess, ports attempted and failed, remake more likely), I think they don't have a lot of original assets archived. I don't think it's as simple as "Just use the tracks from the OST" either, particularly because the in-game versions would do things like have slightly different guitar riffs upon loops. The sound quality in the original was NOT an artistic choice, but was done for technical reasons.

Shin Megami Tensei V - It's possible it gets delayed, but I really don't think they would have put out that trailer making a big deal out of it being Atlus' first simultaneous worldwide release if they weren't confident in that date. SMT is probably my favorite RPG franchise, and I am really looking forward to how ambitious V seems to be. They have frequently talked about how using a licensed game engine is allowing them to worry less about basic technical framework.

NEO: The World Ends With You - been waiting almost 14 years for this, and I have a pretty strong feeling it will release this year. The trailer said Summer 2021, and at the worst if it gets delayed I think it still comes out this year. Pretty much the biggest thing I want to know about is how the combat works. From what I could understand, you could switch between all 4 characters, who used one pin each. They could trigger this team attack wheel thing that I'm not sure what it did. There's things like bosses grabbing hold of one person in the group.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Persona 5 Strikers
Bravely Default II
Saviors of Sapphire Wings & Strangers of Sword City Revisited
Monster Hunter Rise
SaGa Frontier Remastered
Legend of Mana
Mario Golf: Super Rush
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin
Rune Factory 5
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster
Shin Megami Tensei V
The Good Life
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Eastward
Sports Story

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Bravely Default 2 - already out and enjoying
Shin Megami Tensei V (And SMTIIIHD)
Neo: World Ends With You
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Legend of Mana (I never got to play the original)

I might get Rune Factory 5, already a packed year

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
In terms of 2021 releases, I think Persona 5: Strikers, Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, and FFXIV: Endwalker will cover most of my RPG needs this year. Perhaps also the RPG story mode in Mario Golf on the Switch, but will have to hear a bit more about exactly that one entails.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
SMT V is the only one that REALLY matters for me.
Diablo 2R is a day 1 purchase as well though.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we did get new stuff at TGS that year too, including a look at a probable party member at the end:

The Tales of Festival which was delayed out of June last year is coming up March 6th through 7th, so hopefully we get something there.

I had forgot about the TGS trailer, but yeah hopefully we do get some news soon at the tales festival as it's been just about 18 months without any major news or updates. Wonder if they'll be some 25th anniversary reveals at the Tales festival too. Last year was technically the 25th anniversary but the Tales team got hit really hard by covid so it wouldn't surprise me if they treat this year as the celebratory year with releases and announcements. The official english Tales series twitter seems to be doing that at least.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I really, really hope Tales of Arise will be released this year.
It's my number one game I'm waiting for right now.

rehjul

Dec 27, 2018
I haven't followed Starfield or Elden Ring at all and even I know those games aren't releasing this year. Really set your expectations accordingly. Think of how many games were delayed last year and double it.

Now despite having no set release date I could see SMT 3 and Sports Story released this year both of which I'm curious about.

it's kind of mind blowing how you're using a position of ignorance as a means of positing your baseless assumptions. Bethesda devs have revealed they are aiming for a 2021 release despite delays - if you'd been following the game, as others in this thread have, you might have known that.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The Ascent, Diablo II

If the all release in 2021 then

Starfield, Elden Ring, Dying Light 2, BG3 out of EA.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Saviors of Sapphire Wings & Strangers of Sword City Revisited is my biggest one as Experience Inc is my favorite developer at this point. I love dungeon crawlers, I love their games, and the art style of their recent games are absolutely amazing. Since playing Stranger of Sword City I requested that the prequel be brought over years ago and its nice that we're finally getting it. Now if we can get Tokyo Cross Blood Infinity too

Rune Factory 5 - Been getting more and more into (farming) sims with Animal Crossing, Stardew and the such but my first entry to the genre was with Rune Factory and I'm excited that we're getting a sequel

The pokemon remakes just because the art style isn't hideous and it seems like a neat way to try getting back into Gen 4 again

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Gods, why did you have to reming me that Judgment still isn't getting a PC version?

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how Yakuza and Judgment are RPGs. They are the closest thing to River City Ransom and there is barely any RPG elements in the game. It is RPG lite at best.

Now Yakuza 7? That's a pure RPG game.

Edit: Saw what the author said.

I am looking forward to Tales of Arise if it comes this year. Same with Legend of Mana and SaGa Frontier Remasters.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Digimon survive, SMT III, SMT V, Ys9 so far for me

This after bravely 2 and hoping for Xenoblade 3!

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
If Tales of Arise actually happens this year, that's my most anticipated one for sure. In the same vein, Scarlett Nexus is also right up my alley.

Also can't wait to jump back into ME with the legendary edition, and also into Diablo 2.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake on PS5.

I hold off on the game so far because I want to experience this at 60fps :)

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Diablo 2 Ressurected
Nier Remaster
FFXIV Endwalker
Outriders (I would count it as a RPG Shooter ala Borderlands)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
FF7R DLC

Uhhh thats about it for me in terms of planned/confirmed games.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Out of that list, I'm in for Yakuza 6 for PC and the Judgment remaster for PS5!

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for any info whatsoever on that Granblue JRPG that was announced forever ago now.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm really interested in The Ascent. Aesthetic is right up my alley, and I became for more interested when I found out it was a RPG and not just a twin-stick shooter or something.

Aside from that, add me to the list of people who think Starfield is at least TARGETING fall 2021. Fallout 4 was shown and released the same year, so the lack of news doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Oct 30, 2017
- Nier Replicant
- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
- Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade
- Legend of Mana HD Remastered

and these two if they ever made it this year:

- Horizon II: Forbidden West
- Tales of Arise

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Don't think I've seen it mentionned but for me the biggest RPG release this year is going to be Endwalker, the next FFXIV expansion. The last expansion of the current 8years story arc, with Ishikawa Natsuko as the lead writer(she was also the lead writer on Shadowbringers which was amazing), while the current setting for the story feels a bit boring(current bad guys feel meh and overdone tropes) I can't wait to see what they come up with. Obviously being a mmo it's not gonna be for everyone but I have very high expectations(and even if it kinda end up sucking I'll still play cause new raids and new classes and all that, the usual mmo fare).

Legends of Mana definitely has me interested too though. BG3/Pathfinder 2 not sure they're releasing this year. Rest I'll see once they release, Ys I'm still slowly clearing the older games so not in a rush, Tales I don't think it's gonna make this year, Bravely I need to buy a Switch first but have been holding off for the potential Switch 2/U/XL announcement.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't followed Starfield or Elden Ring at all and even I know those games aren't releasing this year. Really set your expectations accordingly. Think of how many games were delayed last year and double it.

Now despite having no set release date I could see SMT 3 and Sports Story released this year both of which I'm curious about.
That's why I haven't listed them, but I am very happy to be wrong about this.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it might be a great year for RPGs. Bravely Default 2 is already fantastic. Then upcoming I'm looking forward to:
  • FF14 Endwalker: Definitely going to be amazing.
  • NEO The World Ends With You: I loved the first game, I hope this one is good.
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2: I don't know much about it but I'm definitely interested.
  • Tales of Arise: Probably releasing this year? Probably going to be pretty good?
  • SMTV: Not sure if it's coming this year, but I guess there's a chance.
Listing them all out that's quite a lot, not even sure I'll have time to play them all this year.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
-NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139... (April)
-Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (June)
-NEO The World Ends With You (Summer)

These I assume will come out this year, but I am not 100% sure.

-Tales of Arise
-SMTV
-Kuro no Kiseki

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Tales-of-Arise-new-screenshot.jpg

Tales of Arise, the JRPG I'm excited and looking forward to the most. Between the understandable delay out of last year and the lack of news for almost 2 years now the wait has been painful. I don't think we've gotten any new news, screenshots or info, other than the delay news about the game since it was first announced at E3 2019

tumblr_pxv3yw1iE31tw0kwco3_500.gif

Game looks incredible. I really hope it releases this year.
Damn, this looks so good. Arise will be my first Tales game!

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
This year really is shaping up to be a very bountiful year of JRPGs. Here is my list of the games I still need to get and am planning on purchasing this year.

~ Atelier Ryza 2
~ Bravely Default II
~ Monster Hunter Rise
~ Skyward Sword HD
~ Disgaea 6
~ FFXIV: Endwalker
~ Monster Hunter Stories 2
~ Pokemon BD/SP
~ Rune Factory 5
~ SMT III Nocturne HD
~ SMT V

Definitely looking forward to these games and more JRPG announcements to come for 2021.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
RPS has that haven't been named

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Our most anticipated RPGs of 2021

How many RPGs are coming out in 2021? A lot. We've listed some of the ones we're most looking forwards to.

Gamedec looks rad

Also don't think She Dreams Elsewhere has been mentioned

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
RPS has that haven't been named

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Our most anticipated RPGs of 2021

How many RPGs are coming out in 2021? A lot. We've listed some of the ones we're most looking forwards to.

Gamedec looks rad

Also don't think She Dreams Elsewhere has been mentioned
RPG Time: The Legend of Wright looked really cool.
You are right, that does look wonderful, I had forgotten about it. Nice find!

Huh, reminds me about Undertale.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm looking forward to trying Monster Hunter Rise since I bounced off of World fairly quickly, wanna try Nier Replicant since I never played the original, and maybe we'll get an SMTV trailer (I don't expect them to make it this year)?

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
We need some fucking news on Tales of an actual decent budget was put behind it...I mean Arise.

Nov 12, 2017
I'd like to get Ys 9 at some point this year on PS5 and potentially Nier Replicant when that releases. If SMT 5 releases this year I'll prob pick that up too.

Oct 25, 2017
The ones I'll be getting for sure in 2021.
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Neo: The World Ends with You
  • Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (Steam)
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (Steam)

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
I don't think Baldurs Gate 3 is making it this year, but if it does it would be great. So far the only rpg I am super excited about is Pathfinder: Wrath of the righteous. From what I played in the alpha, the game is shaping up to be amazing.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I love that OP is like "Don't worry RPG fans, there are games for you this year!" and proceeds to write only about jRPGs and even includes Yakuza, but not Baldur's Gate 3 or new Pathfinder - games that, you know, actually let you role play :D