• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear god, more cheesy Feige...with those Marvel quips...yuk.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Not like she could say "Yeah, he really threw everything out of whack and we were scrambling to pull this last one out of our asses."
Wait? You think Rian threw things out of whack? He made a second act in a three act story, ending on the note a second act in a three act story usually ends: the heroes down on their luck, facing what seems unsurmountable odds, but having learned stuff along the way to win the fight in the third.

And apart from that, you make it sound as if she was thrown of guard by a movie she produced. She oversaw its production from the earliest stages on. If any of RJ's plans would've thrown a wrench in IX, she would've stopped it. Even though Rian Johnson seems to have had a lot of creative freedom, its still Star Wars. These are massive productions with strong producer's influence. They don't go 'do your fucking thing'. Hell, Solo, IX's and Rogue One's behind the scenes drama are maybe the best proof of that.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Not like she could say "Yeah, he really threw everything out of whack and we were scrambling to pull this last one out of our asses."

Rian couldn't throw anything out of whack because they'd have needed a plan in the first place to create chaos.

Like remember that LF had free reign to Rian to answer the question of Rey's parentage.

She could've been Mace Windu's daughter and LF would've approved it.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Wait? You think Rian threw things out of whack? He made a second act in a three act story, ending on the note a second act in a three act story usually ends: the heroes down on their luck, facing what seems unsurmountable odds, but having learned stuff along the way to win the fight in the third.

And apart from that, you make it sound as if she was thrown of guard by a movie she produced. She oversaw its production from the earliest stages on. If any of RJ's plans would've thrown a wrench in IX, she would've stopped it. Even though Rian Johnson seems to have had a lot of creative freedom, its still Star Wars. These are massive productions with strong producer's influence. They don't go 'do your fucking thing'. Hell, Solo, IX's and Rogue One's behind the scenes drama are maybe the best proof of that.

Actually, Rian has gone on record saying that LF gave him a blank slate to do whatever he wanted. They didn't give him guidelines of what he had to do.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
never hesistates to swap out creative teams is a clever way to say there's no story planned for these movies, directors can get fired at a moments notice or locked out of the editing bay, and any movie can just be cancelled outright

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, Rian has gone on record saying that LF gave him a blank slate to do whatever he wanted. They didn't give him guidelines of what he had to do.
No guidelines is different than no notes. It means he didn't get any plot beats he needed to hit before he started, but once he started you better be sure there were discussions and notes. Do you think he just threw a draft of the script on her desk and said: that's it? That's not how the movie writing process works. No writer, especially not on such a big movie, gets total free reign.

EDIT: And if RJ would've thrown things 'out of whack' according to her, we would've read about how they parted with creative differences before the script was even locked.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is a wonderful intersection of salt. feige salt, MCU salt, kathleen kennedy salt, rian johnson salt, sequel trilogy salt

gotta love it

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): Trolling over multiple posts
I think she will quietly resign come July or August.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I think she will be gone by summer of next year.
She produced a ST that so far has been critically acclaimed and a financial hit.

She produced a SW spinoff that was received well by critics and a financial hit.

She produced the first ever live action tv series that has been well received by critics.

She had one misstep and she should immediately retire? The end result is all that matters.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
You've never actually watched a Star Wars movie have you?
Different kinds of humor. Star Wars is usually goofy and situational when it's trying to be funny, while the MCU is very...quip-y, for want of a better term. Not saying that one is better or worse than the other, but they're very different, imo.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
"Rian Johnson made some controversial choices in Episode VIII — The Last Jedi. Especially considering its dramatic purpose as the second movie in the trilogy, were you, to an extent, deliberately setting out to challenge fans and their expectations?
We definitely did. We're talking all the time about how we move Star Wars forward and how we keep it relevant. Obviously, we don't want to just keep making the same movie over and over again. So I agree with you. I mean, I love what Rian did. It's an absolutely wonderful movie. I think he's an extraordinary filmmaker. And I really appreciated the bold moves that he did make. I think people forget that, especially when you're doing a trilogy structure, the first movie is setting things up, the second is usually the conflict, and the third is the resolution. So you're bound to have that second movie, much the same way Empire Strikes Back was probably the darkest and most dramatic of the three. We talked about it with Indiana Jones! You know, we did Raiders of the Ark and then we did Temple of Doom, which was dark and created a lot of controversy, and people were surprised at where it went with the storytelling, but, frankly, that's the whole point!"

This logic will never make sense to me. You're tasked with finishing off the Skywalker story. You're following up a very poorly received prequel trilogy that did harm to the Star Wars brand. I don't think the second film in this new trilogy is the right time to try and "shake things up" with a jokey Luke Skywalker and weird force powers coming out of nowhere.

The time for really shaking things up is with a new trilogy, which Rian will get to work on next. Starting fresh like that should allow for new ideas and new themes, but closing out the Luke Skywalker character in the way they did will always be a stain on this series for me, and my interest in the final movie next month is very low because of it.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Rian Johnson made some controversial choices in Episode VIII — The Last Jedi. Especially considering its dramatic purpose as the second movie in the trilogy, were you, to an extent, deliberately setting out to challenge fans and their expectations?
We definitely did. We're talking all the time about how we move Star Wars forward and how we keep it relevant. Obviously, we don't want to just keep making the same movie over and over again. So I agree with you. I mean, I love what Rian did. It's an absolutely wonderful movie. I think he's an extraordinary filmmaker. And I really appreciated the bold moves that he did make. I think people forget that, especially when you're doing a trilogy structure, the first movie is setting things up, the second is usually the conflict, and the third is the resolution. So you're bound to have that second movie, much the same way Empire Strikes Back was probably the darkest and most dramatic of the three. We talked about it with Indiana Jones! You know, we did Raiders of the Ark and then we did Temple of Doom, which was dark and created a lot of controversy, and people were surprised at where it went with the storytelling, but, frankly, that's the whole point!"

This logic will never make sense to me. You're tasked with finishing off the Skywalker story. You're following up a very poorly received prequel trilogy that did harm to the Star Wars brand. I don't think the second film in this new trilogy is the right time to try and "shake things up" with a jokey Luke Skywalker and weird force powers coming out of nowhere.

The time for really shaking things up is with a new trilogy, which Rian will get to work on next. Starting fresh like that should allow for new ideas and new themes, but closing out the Luke Skywalker character in the way they did will always be a stain on this series for me, and my interest in the final movie next month is very low because of it.

what weird force powers have come out?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Good that she's clarified they got Feige for one movie and not like a whole trilogy.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
what weird force powers have come out?
Skype calls between characters, constant jokes including Luke Skywalker tossing his lightsaber over his shoulder like it was gag prop. Princess Leia flying through space somehow. Luke Skywalker turning himself into a hologram.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Skype calls between characters, constant jokes including Luke Skywalker tossing his lightsaber over his shoulder like it was gag prop. Princess Leia flying through space somehow. Luke Skywalker turning himself into a hologram.

huh?

Luke already calls Leia on ESB.

tossing a light saber aside is not a "force power"

Force pull has been a thing since ESB

Yoda already turned himself into a hologram before TLJ

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
She produced a ST that so far has been critically acclaimed and a financial hit.

She produced a SW spinoff that was received well by critics and a financial hit.

She produced the first ever live action tv series that has been well received by critics.

She had one misstep and she should immediately retire? The end result is all that matters.
Disney's ambition with Star Wars was to create a second Marvel-style branch within the company. Instead, the franchise is about to go on cinematic hiatus as Marvel gears up to like 4 movies a year. And they're throwing Feige in the pipeline. It wouldn't be the most surprising thing in the world if her role was quietly reduced as they shifted into long-term mode with aims for a new trilogy in 4-6 years. Doing merely 'well' often isn't enough in roles like hers and with properties like Star Wars.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
huh?

Luke already calls Leia on ESB.

tossing a light saber aside is not a "force power"

Force pull has been a thing since ESB

Yoda already turned himself into a hologram before TLJ
You're stretching things here, but I think you know that.

You're correct about tossing the lightsaber not being a force power, it was just incredibly dumb and weird for that character to do that.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

An amazingly generous reading when ROTS is clearly backpedaling on many of the things TLJ did and Daisy confirmed that Rian Johnson three out JJ Abrams plan and did his own thing.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
you know, I didn't really like Rogue One, thought The Force Awakens was familiar to a fault and found Solo to be an inherently flawed premise... but I love The Last Jedi so much that I will stan Kathleen Kennedy for life.

thank you Kathleen for helping make the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back. may you stay in charge of this franchise for years to come, and don't let regressive manchildren get you down.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know KK had a defense force. If she wanted to say what you guys are inferring then she should have said what you guys are inferring.

Defense force? Is this because she's a woman in the industry or something? She doesn't need a defense force. She is a legendary producer who worked for decades on a myriad of insanely successful blockbusters, and who is currently quite capably handling one of the biggest entertainment brands in the world.

It's also pretty obvious that she knows perfectly well how marvel and sony partnered around the character of Spider-man. The Spider-man movies are literally sony movies. What else do you think she's talking about?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Different kinds of humor. Star Wars is usually goofy and situational when it's trying to be funny, while the MCU is very...quip-y, for want of a better term. Not saying that one is better or worse than the other, but they're very different, imo.

But the individual MCU films are different as well.

Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians 2 have very different humor and far more "quips" than Winter Soldier or Black Panther.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
But why? Are you just talking out of your ass due to spite or what?

I think there was an agreement that she will see this trilogy through to its end. Just a gut feeling.

Her time in the lead has been a mess. No one can argue that the carousel of directors coming and going has been very embarrassing, and speaks to a larger problem.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
how i am stretching things? lol
Leia did not "call" Luke in the way Rey and Kylo did. You know this. Rey and Kylo talked like they were on a video chat, which is ridiculous and never happened in any prior movie, and they even had a dumb joke where she saw him naked.

Yoda appearing as a ghost like character is not the same as Luke showing up for a virtual fight scene.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Leia did not "call" Luke in the way Rey and Kylo did. You know this. Rey and Kylo talked like they were on a video chat, which is ridiculous and never happened in any prior movie, and they even had a dumb joke where she saw him naked.

Yoda appearing as a ghost like character is not the same as Luke showing up for a virtual fight scene.

it is as the techniques could advance further than shown in previous films?

im not talking about ghost yoda

im talking about Yoda showing himself to Ezra in Rebels even when he was in Dagobah at the moment.