• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Guys, is there any other app like robinhood when it comes to UI. I cannot stand facilities and vanguard

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they forget it's a leap year?

I'll just say that they are not alone among financial institutions if that was the problem. (I lost my weekend to this)

I seriously doubt they made their own date library that would cause something like that.

I bet they did, but that isn't really any consolation anyway. "It wasn't us, it was the open source date library we got off github" is not any better

Last edited:

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I just started using this last week when everything tanked. Was wondering why I couldn't check anything today.

What would happen if they get sued into Oblivion? If I have money with them does stay with them or do I get it back?

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
What are you doing with put positions of that size on Robinhood? I'm sorry they are definitely at fault but wtf are people doing using this app with that kind of money?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you doing with put positions of that size on Robinhood? I'm sorry they are definitely at fault but wtf are people doing using this app with that kind of money?
I'm nowhere near that level but I probably have more in RH than many on here. I use it because it still has the best UI and doesn't charge any per contract fees for options. Even the brokers that have no commissions now still charge fees for options, and their UI's look like they were designed by DOS programmers.

I'll be sucking it up and moving on to TastyTrade after this, though. I didn't lose money today but I definitely would've made some.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
lol if the leap year was the reason everything was broken

either way I'm closing up and taking all my money out as soon as possible this week

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Robinhood made switching apps super easy today since I don't even have money to transfer out of my account now

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I mentioned it before I lost hundreds of dollars on Robinhood. I couldn't sell my stop limit order since it dipped below the price I purchased the stock at. Luckily I made it up at the other sites but I'm pissed because I could've used that money to make thousands 😡🤬😡🤬

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously doubt they made their own date library that would cause something like that.
Dont let this be the reason. Ima need a confirmation.
NO FUCKING WAY

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Man, people love to jump on uninformed shit they know nothing about. Someone else in the tweet chain mentions that if this was the case you'd be able to get a response from a request that passes 02 instead of 03 for the date. Their entire API is offline, so this is very likely not the case.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me if I was playing with that much money that I would be using a more reputable broker.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
robinhood is cool and i made shitloads of money off it...

but strictly for funny money. even if i was a millionaire i wouldn't make a serious investment there, even if i did it for shits and lost for *whatever* reason i wouldn't complain

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Man, people love to jump on uninformed shit they know nothing about. Someone else in the tweet chain mentions that if this was the case you'd be able to get a response from a request that passes 02 instead of 03 for the date. Their entire API is offline, so this is very likely not the case.
Where does it say I believed it? I am well aware that isleap() is a part of the library.

Chill.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
robinhood is cool and i made shitloads of money off it...

but strictly for funny money. even if i was a millionaire i wouldn't make a serious investment, and if i did it for shits and lost for *whatever* reason i wouldn't complain

is there a reason lots of people use it instead of other online brokers?

Mar 3, 2019
I don't really understand all the "haha sucks for him" posts in here. Robin Hood is a legit fading software that just completely shit the bed by being in accessible the entire day, and now people's accounts show nothing, no money, no stocks, nothing. People are going to go to jail for this gross negligence. Blaming the victims feels pretty gross to me, some of whom just lost a lot of money for no reason other than Robin Hood completely breaking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand all the "haha sucks for him" posts in here. Robin Hood is a legit fading software that just completely shit the bed by being in accessible the entire day, and now people's accounts show nothing, no money, no stocks, nothing. People are going to go to jail for this gross negligence. Blaming the victims feels pretty gross to me, some of whom just lost a lot of money for no reason other than Robin Hood completely breaking
It's someone with money haven't something bad happen to them. You have to remember where we are

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
is there a reason lots of people use it instead of other online brokers?

you can invest any amount you want, you don't have to deal with anybody, can be an armchair broker and invest on your own intuition.

it's the mcdonalds of stocks basically. like you don't want to live off egg mcmuffins but every other morning it's okay, same here you invest here and there fine just don't bet the barn on it

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
I saw a comment to the effect the other day and now I can't stop thinking how funny it is that these guys who are supposedly professionals at making money off the stock market have to charge a brokerage fee.

Pfft. Maybe some make some money, sometimes, but certainly not consistently enough to be a sure thing. They're only human, they don't have crystal balls that they look into to know if things are going up or down. Sure they do more research, and likely have a better idea than the average person, but they still make mistakes. And they certainly can't predict things like the coronavirus, or tariffs being implemented with no warning, or 2018 being the hottest year on record with massive drought and agricultural impacts worldwide, or Australia burning for like 5 months etc, nor when the market is going to react, nor whether that reaction is negative or positive. There's way too many unknowns in the equation, it's impossible to solve.

Their only guaranteed profits/success is in charging you fees. Win or lose, they're still getting paid. Ideally they win more than they lose, or they go out of business eventually. But even if that's the case, at least they still made a bunch of money along the way via their fees!

Trying to play the market like this guy did was iffy to begin with; the robin hood outage is just making it way worse.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
This will probably end up as a case study in future software engineering textbooks, right alongside Therac-25.

I would hate to be a Robinhood employee right now.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll just say that they are not alone among financial institutions if that was the problem. (I lost my weekend to this)

I bet they did, but that isn't really any consolation anyway. "It wasn't us, it was the open source date library we got off github" is not any better

if it's python, datetime and dateutils certainly don't have such a problem

However, trust programmers to make stupid mistakes. At some point, the EVE online patcher reformatted people's hard disks.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
The person who owns 100 shares of the stock. They will write either a put (if they think the stock will go up) or a call (if they think the stock will stay still or go down). They sell the contract and collect the premium when someone buys it. This premium is the difference in the price of the stock and the strike price the contract sets. If you own a bunch of shares in a stock this is a good way to make more money by collection options premiums.

The buyer of the contract is taking the bet that the strike price (which ever direction) is going to be met and/or exceeded. If the strike price is met, the buyer can either exercise the option and collect the 100 shares on the agreed strike price, or sell the contract to someone sell that wants to take on the bet. The contract writer has to give up those 100 shares at what ever the written strike price.

All these options have expiration dates. If the strike price isn't met by the expiration date, the contract writergets to keep the stocks and the premiums of course. The buyer of the contract losses what they paid for the contract.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you're putting hundreds of thousands of dollars into options contracts as anything other than a hedging strategy (or are following some sort of strategy with a well-quantified risk profile at the very least), then you're a dumbass. Have seen so many kids on /r/WSB gamble away their student loan money on fucking options.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Even if he wasn't using this broker, even if he could execute his trade, it was still a phenomenally stupid trade which, if he had closed at $26, would have meant him losing 60% which is $550K, in a few days. And he said that one trade was most of his portfolio, which is again a really dumb thing to do. Nobody is celebrating regular folks being unable to access their accounts. Sucks for them. This clown was going to lose a fortune no matter what broker.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can invest any amount you want, you don't have to deal with anybody, can be an armchair broker and invest on your own intuition.

it's the mcdonalds of stocks basically. like you don't want to live off egg mcmuffins but every other morning it's okay, same here you invest here and there fine just don't bet the barn on it

not quite sure I understand. You can buy fractional shares?

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I can access my account again. Looks like my limit orders from the 28th didn't execute. Awesome!

Edit: Now they're showing as having executed at 9:35 AM EST. Small victory.

Last edited:

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if he wasn't using this broker, even if he could execute his trade, it was still a phenomenally stupid trade which, if he had closed at $26, would have meant him losing 60% which is $550K, in a few days. And he said that one trade was most of his portfolio, which is again a really dumb thing to do. Nobody is celebrating regular folks being unable to access their accounts. Sucks for them. This clown was going to lose a fortune no matter what broker.

And it looked like he was trading on a margins account, so it wasn't even his money.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
That "leap year bug" image has HTTP response with status 503.

What Is a 503 Status Code?

Don't know what a 503 status code means? View our HTTP Status Code glossary to review the details of this service unavailable code!

HTTP status 503 means "Service Unavailable". I don't think it's a leap year issue, that error message just tells that the service it tries to contact is down.

You don't have downtimes like this unless there is a serious hardware breakdown or data corruption/some other data issue. Restarting a server does not take a full day. Reverting to old service version does not take a day. So I'm guessing this is one of four possibilities:

• Due to high market volatility, outage caused a massive backlog of orders/other market activity that needs to be executed. And they are having trouble doing so.
  • There was a serious security breach and they had to shut everything down to prevent further damage.
  • There was a critical piece of hardware that failed.
  • Data corruption happened, and they need to restore data from backups. This can take a very long time.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
That "leap year bug" image has HTTP response with status 503.

What Is a 503 Status Code?

Don't know what a 503 status code means? View our HTTP Status Code glossary to review the details of this service unavailable code!

HTTP status 503 means "Service Unavailable". I don't think it's a leap year issue, that error message just tells that the service it tries to contact is down.

You don't have downtimes like this unless there is a serious hardware breakdown or data corruption/some other data issue. Restarting a server does not take a full day. Reverting to old service version does not take a day. So I'm guessing this is one of four possibilities:

• Due to high market volatility, outage caused a massive backlog of orders/other market activity that needs to be executed. And they are having trouble doing so.
  • There was a serious security breach and they had to shut everything down to prevent further damage.
  • There was a critical piece of hardware that failed.
  • Data corruption happened, and they need to restore data from backups. This can take a very long time.
I'm pretty sure people were just going with the leap year thing because information for the 3rd was being requested on the 2nd. Because yeah, the API is pretty clearly down from that screenshot, rather than incorrect data bugging out the API.

I'd guess that's probably just what it does during after hours and people are jumping to conclusions.

Consider how busy they probably were before it went down, my highly technical guess would be that something on the server shit the bed.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people use Robinhood for serious money. I thought it was just a budget broker that had a way to help you buy shares when you didnt have a lot of money. There are better brokerages out there that would have resources to at least make trades over the phone if you had an account and if you're trading with that kind of money, you should have looked into making sure you have fail safes with them.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
lol bro explain your post. I'm curious.

it's the irony of a person using an app named after someone who steals from the rich and being surprised :p
Robin_Thumbnail-683x1024.jpg