• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Buying a stock and then promising others they can't lose money if everyone buys it is a scam. There are absolutely large positions in these stocks that bought in and then encouraged others to do likewise that led to this whole thing.

This wasn't about sticking it to hedge funds, it was a pump and dump scam that used memes and anti-wall street sentiment to make promises instead of the usual hints of insider information.
Is there, like, evidence for that?

Because, while I'm sure some people on WSB believed they were gonna get rich, and maybe some bad actors did egg them on, it really seems like an overwhelming majority of people just thought, "Let's fuck up this hedge fund's scam".

And it was a scam. What Melvin Capital did should be completely illegal. There's no reason that anyone should be allowed to play that kind of shell game, and the only reason they can is because nobody knows they're doing it. Look at the responses in this thread and everywhere else on the internet: people are pissed. They're pissed because the rules are inscrutable and nonsensical and clearly designed to obfuscate crime.

Regardless of anything else, if Melvin and Robin Hood acted legally here, then that's an indication there's something wrong with the system as a whole, which is what people are realizing right now.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own any stock but man this is such a shit show. Fuck these brokers. If they wanted to protect people they would've had tons of safeguards, limits, and education available beforehand, not restricting shit now that hedge funds are getting screwed.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
When I was approving trading accounts as a compliance officer 15 years ago it was almost impossible for anyone to get a day trading account or options approval beyond protective puts and covered calls.

Now anyone with an app gets them. It's truly absurd how much these tech-bro disruptive trading apps have enabled people to take on risk they don't understand.

I literally just linked what you said above " "is why robin hood and apps like it are a bad idea. They market one thing, but are actually still bound by customer risk profiles by law. I've hated these apps and their promissory language in marketing from the word jump, and this is just proving my concerns valid." to my husband, because you managed to perfectly articulate the sentiment/unease I felt at watching apps like RH sell "democratizing" investing without "democratizing" the information to understand the risk.

You've expressed it in a much better way than I have.

I wish some people would realize we're not trying to defend big money or whatever... it really is the concern that people who can't actually afford the risk are being allowed to take on risk so easily. ugh. I also hate payday check cashing places for similar reasons (just preying on people's not understanding stuff.)

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
When I was approving trading accounts as a compliance officer 15 years ago it was almost impossible for anyone to get a day trading account or options approval beyond protective puts and covered calls.

Now anyone with an app gets them. It's truly absurd how much these tech-bro disruptive trading apps have enabled people to take on risk they don't understand.

Remember the kid that committed suicide because of a trade he thought had put him in the whole for millions? Robinhood walked away from that unscathed.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like short interest has spiked since this happened - isn't this extremely blatant from that alone?

Not really, if I still day traded I would have shorted Gamestop when it hit an all time high. This was never a long term price spike. Shorting yesterday and today is the obvious move.

I would be surprised if some of the cheerleaders on wall St bets didn't ride this on the way up and back down.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own any stock but man this is such a shit show. Fuck these brokers. If they wanted to protect people they would've had tons of safeguards, limits, and education available beforehand, not restricting shit now that hedge funds are getting screwed.
Oh there are very very few people in finance that want to protect people in any way shape or form. There might be 50% of America that is interested in that. The other 50% want to take everyone for everything.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Buying a stock and then promising others they can't lose money if everyone buys it is a scam. There are absolutely large positions in these stocks that bought in and then encouraged others to do likewise that led to this whole thing.

This wasn't about sticking it to hedge funds, it was a pump and dump scam that used memes and anti-wall street sentiment to make promises instead of the usual hints of insider information.

nah fam, it wasn't like that at all. There will be people who don't understand the risk and will be bag holding but what happened here was RH preventing people from buying and fucked with the price.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, if I still day traded I would have shorted Gamestop when it hit an all time high. This was never a long term price spike. Shorting yesterday and today is the obvious move.

I would be surprised if some of the cheerleaders on wall St bets didn't ride this on the way up and back down.

They're not even allowing commoners to do anything but sell. Seems pretty clear who's benefiting here, especially crazy given the ownership of the company

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I literally just linked what you said above " "is why robin hood and apps like it are a bad idea. They market one thing, but are actually still bound by customer risk profiles by law. I've hated these apps and their promissory language in marketing from the word jump, and this is just proving my concerns valid." to my husband, because you managed to perfectly articulate the sentiment/unease I felt at watching apps like RH sell "democratizing" investing without "democratizing" the information to understand the risk.

You've expressed it in a much better way than I have.

I wish some people would realize we're not trying to defend big money or whatever... it really is the concern that people who can't actually afford the risk are being allowed to take on risk so easily. ugh. I also hate payday check cashing places for similar reasons (just preying on people's not understanding stuff.)

Then restrict margin account. How does restricting people from buying and only allow selling help them?

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I have been Googling all of these trading apps for their SEC Rule 606 reports, and so far, all that I can find use Citadel Securities as their largest customer for order flow:

Ameritrade: https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_us/resources/pdf/AMTD2055.pdf
Fidelity: https://capitalmarkets.fidelity.com/app/proxy/content?literatureURL=/9890182.PDF
Robinhood: https://cdn.robinhood.com/assets/robinhood/legal/RHS SEC Rule 606 Report Disclosure - Q4 2019.pdf
E-Trade: https://content.etrade.com/etrade/powerpage/pdf/q3-2020-606a.pdf

This must be how conspiracy theorists feel, but it's all publicly reported...

Last edited:

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
If citadel did that they are screwed. Its extremely unlikely as the only people who could cross-talk like that would have to go through a control room.

If it happened it'll come out and they'll have to disgorge profits to RH customers, and it will be extremely easy to prove.

Remember phone calls are recorded on trading desks. So are emails and IMs as well as all trading activity. Front running an action like that is extremely easy to find.
Couldn't they have arranged outside recorded channels?

It honestly seems really obvious what is going on here. Even to dumbdumbs like myself. They manipulated the market.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
I have been Googling all of these trading apps for their SEC Rule 606 reports, and so far, all that I can find use Citadel Securities as their largest customer for order flow:

Ameritrade: https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_us/resources/pdf/AMTD2055.pdf
Fidelity: https://capitalmarkets.fidelity.com/app/proxy/content?literatureURL=/9890182.PDF

This must be how conspiracy theorists feel, but it's all publicly reported...

There's literally no conspiracy element at all - it's incredibly obvious

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
nah fam, it wasn't like that at all. There will be people who don't understand the risk and will be bag holding but what happened here was RH preventing people from buying and fucked with the price.

No, RH stopped allowing trading because the hammer is coming on them for letting people extend themselves beyond their means.

The whole situation is fucked, and it's because it should have been nipped in the bud last week. Artificially spiking the price of a company that has bad fundamentals never could have lasted more than a few days. They shouldn't have allowed the purchases in the first place after it was clear that retail investors with little experience were day trading based on advice from forums and twitter.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the stock market was ever designed with the Internet in mind. All this proves is you can somehow organize a large amount of people to do what you need to make the stonks rise. I feel as if the future is gonna be a lot of bots spreading misinformation and seeds to get people to do what they need so some make off with lotta money.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I don't think the stock market was ever designed with the Internet in mind. All this proves is you can somehow organize a large amount of people to do what you need to make the stonks rise. I feel as if the future is gonna be a lot of bots spreading misinformation and seeds to get people to do what they need so some make off with lotta money.
This already happens.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
They're not even allowing commoners to do anything but sell. Seems pretty clear who's benefiting here, especially crazy given the ownership of the company

The market defenders are dug into concern trolling about how much they "care" about the retail investor. I've been seeing it all morning on the financial shows. They care so so much about the little guy lol

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone defending the restriction of buying and selling of regular shares with someone's own money can get bent.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
welcome to like

years ago

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
No, RH stopped allowing trading because the hammer is coming on them for letting people extend themselves beyond their means.

The whole situation is fucked, and it's because it should have been nipped in the bud last week. Artificially spiking the price of a company that has bad fundamentals never could have lasted more than a few days. They shouldn't have allowed the purchases in the first place after it was clear that retail investors with little experience were day trading based on advice from forums and twitter.

Should shorting >100% of the stock have been allowed to artificially drive down the price?

And now changing the rules of the game in the middle of the game (while only one side knows ahead of time) is okay? What they're doing now is tanking the price so they benefit and retail investors lose, and it's incredibly blatant.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
RH is actually allowing closing out of existing positions. Just stopping the purchasing side.

Also they are closing out of positions for clients without client approval by saying its due to "unreasonable risk". Not sure if that is due to being margin related account or something else.

Last edited:

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

Then restrict margin account? How exactly does limiting every user even with plain cash help them by only allow selling but not buying?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh there are very very few people in finance that want to protect people in any way shape or form. There might be 50% of America that is interested in that. The other 50% want to take everyone for everything.
I have no doubt that this is true. I just don't like the framing of this as protecting consumers when they never cared for that.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Allowing only Selling is an attempt to artificially drive down price.

I don't see any defense for this.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yep, that should be the story, not "some people are idiots" or "people are dumb for thinking this was some kind of proletariat revolution", at this point there's probably a lot of average people involved during a pandemic when they really need the money and the government sure as shit isn't helping much

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The market defenders are dug into concern trolling about how much they "care" about the retail investor. I've been seeing it all morning on the financial shows. They care so so much about the little guy lol

Like how much more obvious does it need to get? The average person is now left scrambling trying to find a place where they can buy a stock they want to buy while institutions weren't inconvenienced at all and are now playing the swings which they are controlling. Just WTF. Burn it all to the ground.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I guess Citadel said "enough is enough" with the putting on of airs, after giving Melvin Capital their portion of the 3 BILLION necessary to cover Melvin's financial position after the hedge closed its GME short.

This seems fitting:

nfNecXT.png

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Commoners shouldn't be able to day trade. It's super risky and expensive behaviour.

I'm a former series 4/24/34 with 20 years experience in risk management and can explain a tied stock exemption to trading ahead and can calculate options deltas in my head. I can calculate maker/taker credits into my trades. I'm the kind of person who should be allowed to do this stuff because I understand the risks and fees.

I don't do it precisely because I do understand how risky it is for someone like me without a ton of money in the bank to eat those losses.

Downloading an app should not give you access to the risky shit robinhood allows.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Rejecting trades is completely within their rights as a broker. They are under no obligation to facilitate all orders, in fact they are under an obligation to know their customer and reject orders that are too risky for that customer. They are even allowed to close out positions for customers.

Robin hood is going to be in a world of hurt, but not for what they did today, for what they did the last 5 days.
Sure.

But when emails and phone logs are subpoenaed and there's even a whiff of doing this for the hedge funds, which there will be, it's case closed.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

This already happens and HFT also need to have an end put to them. Market volatility is higher than ever because of all the HFT shops just mining maker/taker credit all day.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Commoners shouldn't be able to day trade. It's super risky and expensive behaviour.

I'm a former series 4/24/34 with 20 years experience in risk management and can explain a tied stock exemption to trading ahead and can calculate options deltas in my head. I can calculate maker/taker credits into my trades. I'm the kind of person who should be allowed to do this stuff because I understand the risks and fees.

I don't do it precisely because I do understand how risky it is for someone like me without a ton of money in the bank to eat those losses.

Downloading an app should not give you access to the risky shit robinhood allows.
I'm sorry. What is this?

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth

then turn off margin/options/whatever the fuck for the plebians and allow buy/sell via ECH transferred funds.

They aren't limiting it to <10k buys per day for unvetted commoners
they just turned the buy button off, you aren't allowed to pay <$2 for a certain stock with your own real money