• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I'm on team "eh, this whole 'irony' is pretty much dead nowadays", so I can't really enjoy these episodes that much so far.

However, it seems not quite so random for them to bring back MPB like that. Considering he's implied to be a professor in "how not to be a huge asshole", so you know, hopefully there's something coming up on that end.

Is making avatars considered spoilers at this point, btw? Because that King Of Shit moment is worthwhile on that end.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the Vindicators of this season

It's not bad but i can tell this is the episode i will forget about later or not talk about

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Weakest episode of the season so far, no doubt about that, but still pretty enjoyable. I liked it. Seems like an episode that should have been made back when Heist movies were a bigger deal.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Weakest episode of the season so far, no doubt about that, but still pretty enjoyable. I liked it. Seems like an episode that should have been made back when Heist movies were a bigger deal.
It feels like Harmon caught one of the oceans movie on TV or Netflix and just wanted to vent

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
While I really liked episode 1 and 2 the third one was just a really boring overdone joke after a few minutes.
Did absolutely nothing for me - well at least we got a meme out of it that will hopefully not stay around very long.
I really hope they go absolutely crazy again in the next episodes.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt mind the episode but honestly im not a fan of the plots where rick seems to be a million times ahead of the curve and once it starts rolling, you know it's gonna be nothing but the writers patting themselves on the back for the rest of the episode. Its kind of funny how Rick's main criticism of heist movies is easily translatable to episodes like "M. Night Shaym-Aliens!" or "The Rickshank Rickdemption" or "Vindicators" or "The Rickchurian Mortydate". Most of these episodes center around Rick just knowing that his opponent accounted for something and retaliating in return. The first time they did it, it worked. It's been getting less and less successful as it's gone on. This is probably the tipping point.

I'm also kind of just tired of Rick acting like he has no actual interest in doing adventures with Morty and seems to be doing things entirely out of spite. The reveal at the end where he reveals this was a set up so Morty didn't finish his pitch was flat when you consider the amount of times that they've been on a mission to get something only for it to never be revealed what they were even doing in the first place.

At least the animators are putting the legwork in to make it visually interesting... the best episode in this season so far was directed by a storyboard artist and you could tell because that one actually had some stakes that would matter to Rick even if death is completely meaningless to him.

Also that Elon Musk cameo was just... bleh? Reminds me of a post-season 10 Simpsons episode where they just get a celebrity to rotate the episode around. It's not quite that bad- but boy does it get close.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, Community's Conspiracy 101 is a way better executed version of this because it's not the ending scene the entire damn episode. I feel like whenever Harmon gets behind the wheel to rag on a genre he doesn't like, he forgets it needs to be an actual story and not something Rick can just insert himself into to be Dan's mouthpiece while doing it so lazily that there's nothing more than a beginning or end to the fake parody story. Committing to it for even a minute helped land the end scene of Conspiracy 101 so much better in my opinion.

I dunno, maybe I'm growing disillusioned with this show's writing in general because of what I know of the show's creators. I'd like that to not be the case because there are a lot of cooler people working on the show that don't show up on PewDiePie's Meme Review with Elon Musk or contract JonTron to do a unfunny skit commercial for their VR game.

I'm almost expecting the next episode is just Rick rolling his eyes about Morty getting a pet dragon for the entire episode... yeah, what a fun watch, Dan Harmon. Maybe consider giving that story circle a second look.
I wonder how they got Musk to shit on himself

I would hardly consider what he did in this episode "shit on himself"- honestly you could spin him being a "control freak" as him caring too much. That's like, the only thing they even remotely come close to in terms of "shitting on". It's an exceptionally lazy cameo for an episode that's all about poking fun at a movie genre Dan and Justin hate with a passion. Actually, hrm. Aren't Dan and Justin good friends with Elon? Oh yeah, they are. And yet, out of all the stuff you could make fun of Elon for, they just picked him being a somewhat passive control freak. Not for calling a submarine diver a pedophile, not union-busting (a thing Justin apparently has in common with him), and especially not getting sued by the FEC for lying for stock values. There are so many things you could make into a quick quip by Rick, but hey, Elon Tusk, everybody! The tusks are the joke.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
uy1pec4fvt041.jpg

Seriously though nothing they said was particularly harsh just him being a bit awkward and being a bit of a control freak

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
You son of a bitch, I'm in.

One of my favorite episodes in the entire series. The multiple twists and one-upmanship reminded me of this...

... and every Halloween Heist episode of Brooklyn 99 but taken to the extreme.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite episodes actually, like this concept and how they executed it in the most absurd way possible, surprised a bit at lukewarm reception for this episode and season in general, maybe i am not looking at right places but there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm this season , as opposed to season 3 premier , but that continued from season 2 cliffhanger tbh but even then the season at a whole
La casa de papel - I think its called that- is a really big deal nowadays so I thought it directly made fun of that, its on Netflix and everything and the episode ended with a Netflix joke

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Funny episode! Feels like the show is somewhat free of expectations now that there are so many episodes coming so they can just have fun with it. Doesn't feel as heavy as season 3 did.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Funny episode. The heist reveal stuff was great. Maybe not as strong as the first 2 episodes in season 4, but solid never the less.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was far better than last week's, which was a random amalgamation of nonsense with no coherent throughline. Loved the jokes and the execution. The "Catherine Alpha through Omega Jones" joke was killer.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shockingly lazy episode. how close is the well to running dry when they're hinging an entire episode on "heist movies are bad" and a sub-Fallon level celeb name pun? this one felt like a shitty SNL skit

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The narrative payoff is supposed to be the elaborate lengths Rick went to in order to squash Morty's dreams and keep him in line as his sidekick. The "joke" is that Rick is a horrible, toxic person who treats the universe as a disposible prop in order to entertain his own ego and maintain a comfortable status quo for himself - which you are all right, isn't funny. Its sad.

I think the post-credit sequence of "Theres a storm coming" paired with MPB talking through the elaborate lengths Rick went to just to recruit him (which include ruining his life yet again) hopefully hint at a bigger reckoning for Rick than the last couple he has been able to shrug off.

I felt the same with the post-credit scene, like something might come from the morty reaction and MPB interaction.

It was a weak episode for me. I'm honestly wishing we get some hints on what's going on with the citadel, and the theories about the original morty and that stuff.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I liked all of them so far.

It's a cartoon where wacky shit happens, and I can appreciate the show for that. Its experimental in the same way Community was, and I'm happy for it.

Oct 27, 2017
We're an episode behind in the UK so I just watched E2 a few days ago. Eh, it was okay. I would have liked Rick's relationship/similarity to that alien explored more, and excise the story of Morty/Jerry or Beth/Summer. The first episode was pretty decent though.

Aug 26, 2019
Finally got around to E3...I actually enjoyed it, a lot. The part where Heistotron heisted the first planet was hilarious. Checking the water pressure, delivering the pizza etc. got me.

Didn't care for the Netflix stuff, but the ending of the episode was very ominous.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
E3 felt like the worst in the series to me. Just absolute nonsense. Moving away from the traditional structure is having really mixed results.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
E3 felt like the worst in the series to me. Just absolute nonsense. Moving away from the traditional structure is having really mixed results.

Agreed, it was terrible. Can't remember ever feeling like I had to struggle to get through an episode with this show before. This season has been pretty mediocre. Maybe Harmon has a season 4 curse.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: Trover saves the Universe was better than this and last season of Rick and morty. By far.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The episode was mostly okay, but I'll admit I got a big laugh at the entire thing being just a way to crush Morty's dreams lol