• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone had a run where the boss room hasn't spawned? Been hunting sunface shards and was going to fight the first boss for fun but can't find the room anywhere. Exhausted all square doors and there's only triangle doors left.

Looks like you get off easy today, Phrike >:[
Well, its probably thru a triangle door, lol. Those can branch off into other rooms.

Like for me last night, I had to go thru one to reach the boos in another room.

Triangle room had 4-6 fabricating machines (got astronaut there) and a door on either side IIRC. One of the rooms might have been the 6 Ether respawn with everything statue.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Ok…just did a run. Cleared biome 1 as prep and then went straight to 3.

Seemed to work pretty well but I just couldn't make it to the boss (I believe I was close). I just seemed to get chipped down over time, the room before the pilon controls (with the health towers and automaton) was particularly brutal.

I assume my powering the bridge/pilon thing will at least make it easier for me next time??

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
How do you get to Biome 3 from Biome 2?
You beat biome 2 right? The hook shot gets you there at the top near the boss of biome 2. But once you've beaten biome 2, half way through it there's a new portal at the base of the mountain that takes you up there. Basically after all the easy parts of biome 2, before you start venturing upwards.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's the point I was trying to get across though. With the sidearm I'm hitting the trigger as fast as possible to shoot as fast as possible and thus am tapping when I run out of ammo. Which counts as a 'failed' fast-reload attempt and you need to wait the time. With other guns, as you're just holding the trigger, you do so until it stops firing, then wait for the box and tap it. In the frantic movement and firing of encounters I'm not counting the amount of bullets I'm firing in the sidearm, as I'm literally just going taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap so I've already tapped when I realise I'm out of ammo.

Agreed. What's annoying is that the pistol has full-auto, which lets you hit overloads with ease, but the full-auto is slower than fanning the trigger so you lose DPS.

I mean, you could watch the ammo counter, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
God damn it, I died on the 4th boss with like a third of a bar left. Now I gotta go and get both of those keys again. :(

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ohh I seee lmao. The hand gun is weird. So you techically can treat it like the auto matic carbine and hold the button down, or have precession shots(I think later in the game with more perks unlocked it makes sense but early its a pea shooter lol)
It is weird lol, and I know buuuut the fire rate (and thus damage output) just seems to suck when you hold it down normally. Tapping it repeatedly does get tiring after an hour of it though, and I do hit that issue with the active reload mentioned. It can definitely dish out damage but those two things put me off it as I find they kind of obstruct the flow(?) of the gameplay/combat/movement. Everything definitely felt more natural and fluid when I ditched it that last run through finding the carbine. The prior 3 runs I'd just been using it as it was the most common gun I'd found and was always the one with the higher number, but looking back I think it plays into why I was having trouble securing the clear.

Agreed. What's annoying is that the pistol has full-auto, which lets you hit overloads with ease, but the full-auto is slower than fanning the trigger so you lose DPS.
I mean, you could watch the ammo counter, but ain't nobody got time for that.
Yurp. Was why I just always hammered it as without that, it seemed to be much worse than anything else lol.

Reckheim

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the benefit of running through biome 1 completely if you have biome 2 already unlocked? Should I just jump into the second biome once i get to the portal room?
you can only increase your integrity and find helpful artifacts by actually doing the biomes in order. You can skip the biome obviously; but you won't be as geared up.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like I have really shitty RNG so far in Returnal. Seeing everyone post about healing abilities, and after 15 hours and 11 deaths, I have yet to encounter a single healing ability. Feel like that would be a game changer.

Still stuck on the second boss. I spend 1 hour+ trying to farm biome 1 for health (using my ship for healing) and I still end up going into the second boss with only ~125% integrity and maybe 1 or 2 useful artifacts/parasites (again, nothing with these healing abilities I'm reading about). Only had the astronaut figure available to buy once so far (that's the run I beat the first boss and made it to the second boss for the first time).

Getting realy frustrating spending so many hours farming only to get a build that's not half as good as what it seems a lot of people have coming out of the first biome.

Idk, I just wish they either made runs way shorter or added more permanent enhancements. I spent nearly 5 hours playing yesterday over the course of 3 runs and I'm not any further than when I started, with no new permanent unlocks.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Biome 1 is relatively easy to farm for booblites, health upgrades, and the shop for the consumables/artifacts. I usually end up clearing most of it.
Yeah I timed it, and saw I could prob spend 10-15 mins in main path and alt paths and get enough to get to next biome. At most you could spend like 30 mins and that would be almost a full clear.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Finally got a review together. I really enjoyed it, but wasnt super hot on it when all was said and done.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It is weird lol, and I know buuuut the fire rate (and thus damage output) just seems to suck when you hold it down normally. Tapping it repeatedly does get tiring after an hour of it though, and I do hit that issue with the active reload mentioned. It can definitely dish out damage but those two things put me off it as I find they kind of obstruct the flow(?) of the gameplay/combat/movement. Everything definitely felt more natural and fluid when I ditched it that last run through finding the carbine. The prior 3 runs I'd just been using it as it was the most common gun I'd found and was always the one with the higher number, but looking back I think it plays into why I was having trouble securing the clear.
Worry less about the profiency and worry about weapon traits even if its a 0 or 1 etc unlocking traits make them better. Proficiency, perks stacking and other perks showing up and will help for bonus damage etc but seems like its here or there with that.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Just completed it. Biome 4 took me a few attempts but, like many here, I did biomes 5-6 on my first try.

What a strange difficulty curve. The first half of the game is by far the hardest. The second half of the game doesn't do an awful lot to increase the difficulty in terms of enemies or bullet patterns but the weaponry you get is so much more powerful that it becomes a cakewalk in comparison.

The electric pylon gun is ridiculously overpowered. Just chewed up absolutely everything in biomes 5 and 6 with me barely breaking a sweat. Biome 3 is the last real difficulty hump you need to get past, if you can get to 4 you will almost certainly end up beating the whole thing.

Very good game though, I enjoyed it a great deal more than I thought I was going to. Nearly 30 hours to beat and the combat was enjoyable all the way through.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Worry less about the profiency and worry about weapon traits even if its a 0 or 1 etc unlocking traits make them better. Proficiency, perks stacking and other perks showing up and will help for bonus damage etc but seems like its here or there with that.
Yeh that's what I came to after that last run, and good to hear you confirm it. The number seemed less important than the actual points distribution of the gun, alt-fire and traits. Will definitely be worrying less about the number moving forward, and thus moving away from the sidearm earlier. By earlier, I mean as soon as possible 😂

Oct 25, 2017
"the game was updated while in rest mode. Updated game was closed "

Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck you Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck you Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck you Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck youFuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck you Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck youFuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck you Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck yo fuck you fuck you

Fuck you x 1000000

Fuck. 2 hours gone.

Nice.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeh that's what I came to after that last run, and good to hear you confirm it. The number seemed less important than the actual points distribution of the gun, alt-fire and traits. Will definitely be worrying less about the number moving forward, and thus moving away from the sidearm earlier. By earlier, I mean as soon as possible 😂
Abbbbsolutely this. guns get better and better biome 2 opens things up a bit then biome 3 goes further.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Abbbbsolutely this. guns get better and better biome 2 opens things up a bit then biome 3 goes further.
👍👍 Awesome thank you! I wish I had more time to play as I am itching to get back into that second biome. Loved what I experienced in it. Sentients and the armoured peeps were really fun to fight.

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the benefit of running through biome 1 completely if you have biome 2 already unlocked? Should I just jump into the second biome once i get to the portal room?

Basically to pick up artifacts and parasites while also building up your health. You can also unlock weapon traits as you go. What I tend to do after I clear a dome is go through every area that still has something and then buy stuff from the fabricator machines. You can also sleep on your ship for a free heal and then pick up any health upgrades you left around the map.

You don't really need to worry about weapon proficiency since there's an item that boosts proficiency at the start of next level diomes. 2 boosts you to 5 and 3 to 9. Also bare in mind how difficult you find the diomes makes sense in how much you want to farm. 1 and 2 is much easier than 3 which has some bullshit enemies. You don't need to do a full clear but try to get the most out of the farm before you go to the next diome. Probably stay away from yellow doors since that's an arena clear room. You can also look inside rooms before you enter them to see if there's anything in there you want. Some lockdown rooms you can see the green totem from the door.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Whats the maximum for stacking items? Made it to B3 with 3 small and 3 medium Healthkits and want to get some more before I go to thr boss.

Oct 27, 2017
Game just hard crashed as I entered the third boss room. So fucking cool. Really great job with no saves during a run. Fucking bravo, Housemarque. I won't touch this game again until they give it a violent shove out of the stone age.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
👍👍 Awesome thank you! I wish I had more time to play as I am itching to get back into that second biome. Loved what I experienced in it. Sentients and the armoured peeps were really fun to fight.
If you can block off maybe an hour, hour and a half of somewhat cautious and selective decisions and engagements in battle you can pretty much beat a biome each session.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you can block off maybe an hour, hour and a half of somewhat cautious and selective decisions and engagements in battle you can pretty much beat a biome each session.
I think you might be overestimating my skill level if 3 onward is as tough as people say lmao, but I appreciate the vote of confidence 😊. I'm really enjoying the general gameplay though, and the pressure feels lifted now I'm past that first boss. So, for awhile, I'll be happy to just play the runs for playing them, even if it doesn't get me to that next biome. Busy with a separate project to general work at the moment so time is limited, but I'll get there eventually. Always happy to progress at my own pace as long as I'm having fun in the process haha.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think you might be overestimating my skill level if 3 onward is as tough as people say lmao, but I appreciate the vote of confidence 😊. I'm really enjoying the general gameplay though, and the pressure feels lifted now I'm past that first boss. So, for awhile, I'll be happy to just play the runs for playing them, even if it doesn't get me to that next biome. Busy with a separate project to general work at the moment so time is limited, but I'll get there eventually. Always happy to progress at my own pace as long as I'm having fun in the process haha.
Yup its a process idk, I dont even consider myself *That* good at games and I think just me doing that and running around like I'm about to lose my life has been very helpful lmao. Unless I'm underestimating myself lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
it's weird to me that people still argue there's zero progression in this game if you die, considering
you don't even need to do the first 3 biomes again once you clear 3. that actually really surprised me

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Even though I hate this game right now I can't get over the absolutely thunderous sound. I have a 7.2.2 setup and the other day I just was like fuck all regard for my property/anyone else/my ears and cranked it. Felt like my house was about to explode.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
it's weird to me that people still argue there's zero progression in this game if you die, considering
you don't even need to do the first 3 biomes again once you clear 3. that actually really surprised me
Is there even a way to go back to those early ones once you've past that point?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think people are sleeping on the rotgland lobber. I beat the 3rd boss with it lmao. And its very good to hit a target and run.

you don't even need to do the first 3 biomes again once you clear 3
Right.
Is there even a way to go back to those early ones once you've past that point?
Yes after you complete the second act.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Just started my download for this! I'm pretty excited as I've seen nothing but praise for this game. Any tips I should know before starting?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Biome 5 with the teleporting enemies. :( I hate them...
They are what the electropylon driver is made for. Honestly that whole level thats the best weapon to use since the rooms have a ton of geometry.
Just started my download for this! I'm pretty excited as I've seen nothing but praise for this game. Any tips I should know before starting?
unlock weapon perks early and often. Dont get married to a weapon early and focus on getting perks up each run.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think people are sleeping on the rotgland lobber. I beat the 3rd boss with it lmao. And its very good to hit a target and run.

Best gun to have if you get the artifact upgrade that cuts the cooldown on alt fire for every Overload, I melted bosses 3 and 4 with it

i had 15% bonus speed and protection for each overload at one point too, it was constantly up and I felt unstoppable (until I dashed off a cliff multiple times)

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I was murdering with it because I also had a buff where I shoot out lightning when I do an active reload, plus the explosion weapon perk. So I had a steady rhythm of shooting, active reloading, and shooting again. And it was mad DPS. But then I unlocked another weapon perk where I had two shots before a reload and it totally messed up my rhythm lol. Kinda ruined the gun and made me tilt.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Best gun to have if you get the artifact upgrade that cuts the cooldown on alt fire for every Overload, I melted bosses 3 and 4 with it

i had 15% bonus speed and protection for each overload at one point too, it was constantly up and I felt unstoppable (until I dashed off a cliff multiple times)
Yeah I had that combo going too and can attest to its power.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Read throughout this thread and you'll find specific advices for various stages of grief, I mean fun! Also, ask away once you get to know things better. ;)