• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think the final Metacritic score may be?

• 91-100

Votes: 114 18.1%
  • 88-90

Votes: 207 32.9%
  • 83-87

Votes: 253 40.2%
  • 80-82

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • 75-79

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • <70

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So, not as good as 2 Remake?

I can live with that
It's pretty much the expected scenario. Not sure why people are losing it.
Hope RE8 is in FPP though, it seems a breather from tpp wouldn't be a bad thing.

Not gonna happen, based on the post-launch content we got for RE2R (just The Ghost Survivors). I'd be surprised if they even added Mercenaries back in.
That dlc content was pretty good. Hope we get something like it.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it seems like for fans of RE2 Remake that haven't played RE3 this will be a good ride? Many of the criticisms seem to be that it 3 Remake doesn't include all areas or enemies from the original. I think that's fine?

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Still day1. Doesn't turn me off at all.

In the last years I have seen a growing shift between me and some reviewers anyways. Some games I thought didn't deserve an 98 got one and some games that deserved a better score only got a 65-75~.

In the end it is about personal taste and it is impossible to let anyone but me speak for it.

(Also higher than 80+ is not bad at all)

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
For the people that are saying it's too short. How long do you guys think the original was?

NCDz0EI.png

Like, please. It's perfectly fine.

They cut at least 2 sectors and promised bigger and more explorable Raccoon City, so it's not hard to imagine people expecting it to be longer.

btw. After I saw Carlos' haymaker instead of dodge, I got even saltier that there's no scenario B as him.

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the lengths people go to to discredit negative reviews of games they're really invested in.

The lengths? I read the review and was hit with what I would consider a logical inconsistency right away. For me that calls in to question whether I take the review seriously or not.

If a review is bad but at least well argued then that's cool. In the end I'll make my own mind up on what's good or bad. RE6 was hated and I liked it. Doom Eternal was loved and there are elements in that game I hate. It's like...options and shit.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the fuck?

No
Clock Tower
?
That is massive horseshit.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
The original didn't review that well either though, and it doesn't get a pass simply for staying more true to the original.

If it were me reviewing the game, if anything I'd dock it more points for it not overhauling/updating the weaker elements of its pacing, structure and gameplay.
The original reviewed great. It had 91 ratings on gamerankings at that time

May 17, 2018
I'd argue that RE2 Remake could have been done better too. RE1 Remake really is the staple.

This.

I adored RE2make, but, it was definitely much more of a standard remake than REmake was. Didn't change that much ultimately.

REmake is in a league of it's own. Updating the game with modern graphics and adding genuine twists and surprises that still felt true to the original. That's what these *should* be.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's not the scores I'm that concerned about, it's the content of some of these reviews. Nemesis doesn't even sound like he's as much of a threat as Tyrant was, and considering his implementation in RE2 was a stroke of genius that felt like merely a test bed for Nemesis' implementation in a potential RE3, that's kinda...

This is where I'm at as well. Mr. X in the original RE2 was a neat idea that the Nemesis perfected in RE3. How RE2R reimagined Mr. X made the potential for Nemesis to have that same level of perfect concept held amazing potential. From reviews it sounds like the people who made RE3R didn't play RE2R and get why Mr. X worked so well in that title, and instead focused on how Nemesis worked in vanilla RE3 and drew inspiration from that.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus what a flop. At this rate it's gonna hit the 70's soon.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Still hyped and day 1 because it's my favorite series of all time and I'm a mega fan. That being said, like RE2R, I feel this could have been so much better. Lack of content, cut or not is holding these remakes back from toppling RE4 for me. REmake 1 continues to be the gold standard on how to reimagine a game. RE2R cut so much content that they could have made the 2 campaigns much more unique and RE3R should have been more open on the level of Dark Souls to give us that meaty single player experience.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Gamexplain review really went to town on the limited content. Apparently the only outdoors city sections are what we say in the demo, and the RPD is a truncated version of what we saw in RE2.

I don't mind Nemesis not stalking you throughout like Mr X as I'm ok with him being a boss character.

They should release an RE2/3 pack at the end of the year. And when they do RE4 remake, they had BETTER not leave anything out from that game.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Hmm, well it's settled at 80, which is honestly better than I expected after some of the reviews I saw that just dropped. Still definitely picking it up at some point this year, just not day one like I did REmake 2.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
People would have been hyped for a low 80s Resident Evil remake a few years ago. Expectations with Capcom's other recent games have gotten crazy.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Nemesis coming into scene via cutscenes. That's been my biggest concern ever since the early preview stuff came out and it looks like I was on the money. smh

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Obviously, I'll let my playthrough of the game decide it for me, but this was deflating. I'm officially on the "Capcom let's move the god damn story along" train with RE8

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I do honestly appreciate the other perspective and context offered but

Cutting the clock tower, the best part of the original game, for "expanded sewers" sounds like parody level decisions that should have been killed off, or the game delayed to restore the cut areas.

Wait to play the new Sewers before you write them off! They're one of the best parts of the new game -- the new Hunter Gammas are super freaky.

As for the Clock tower -- without spoiling anything, a lot of stuff from that sequence have been picked out and added to other parts of the game. There's a lot of "remixing" in the game. I won't pretend the Clock Tower being cut doesn't hurt a bit, but it doesn't feel like there's a gaping hole in the plot or anything.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
"Only 6 hours long" is a huge selling point for me. Too many games these days don't justify their length and are padded to hell and back.
Yeah that's not a bad thing at all. Knowing me it'll take me 10 hours since Claire's campaign in RE2 Remake took me that long my first time while I saw others completing it in 6 hours. What worries me though is that a common complaint is the campaign feels pretty scattershot.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think it's bad at all. It's in no way shape or form a mess. I adored my hardcore playthrough of it and yes, it feel rushed and some thing have obviously been cut but what is there is absolutely incredible.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Usually the yikes and oofs for a 6 and ignoring the higher scores only happen for exclusives. Strange times right now.

Could at least try to spice it up with a ay caramba every now again though.

It went from a 92 meta to an 80. I expected a step down in terms of response, but 12 points is pretty staggering.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
As someone who's never played RE3, cutting areas out of the game is pretty weird and I would rather they just delay it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
And then there's Nemesis. The Tyrant primed to top Mr X is actually a colossal disappointment. Outside of its early appearance on the streets of Raccoon City, encounters with Nemesis are restricted to quick-time events, set pieces, obvious chase sequences, and boss battles. Those are certainly exciting in the moment, but you'll never ever find yourself in a situation where the seven-foot monster is on your tail as you naturally explore the environment. Nemesis feels like a prop that conveniently pushes Jill towards the next area rather than an enemy you need to be constantly accounting for as you attempt to solve puzzles and explore environments. It all feels incredibly ham-fisted, ditching the nature of Mr X for the spectacle of a Tyrant that'll occasionally chase you.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
This game is short? Well, on the bright side I can finish the game on time before jumping to FFVIIR.
8.0 is solid, although I thought it would be a little higher.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The lengths? I read the review and was hit with what I would consider a logical inconsistency right away. For me that calls in to question whether I take the review seriously or not.

If a review is bad but at least well argued then that's cool. In the end I'll make my own mind up on what's good or bad. RE6 was hated and I liked it. Doom Eternal was loved and there are elements in that game I hate. It's like...options and shit.
You called into question whether they had played the original when they said they believed RE3 was inferior to its predecessor even in 1999 because you didn't agree with their statement. Why call their integrity into question?

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't surprising. REmake 2 was good but with distance, and living in a post- 'Resident Evil is back!' world I think low expectations for the franchise carried that game over some of its flaws.

I didn't think they would have enough time to make a better game than REmake 2 and it's getting scores that I would expect a 'side-quel' to get.

RE2 Remake is legit great. No game is flawless.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That dlc content was pretty good. Hope we get something like it.
It was just OK-ish, I thought. No cutscenes, no voice acting, recycled locations from the main game, and no playable Marvin. Super low budget content update. Makes sense because it was free, I guess, but I really would have preferred paid DLC if it meant we could've gotten something better (like, an Ada scenario would've been sick).

I don't know what to expect for RE3, in the way of content updates. If I remember correctly, The Ghost Survivors was unveiled around this time pre-launch, if not earlier, and there's been no RE3 equivalent posted to Capcom's social media so far. I really do think they were counting on Resistance to make the entire package "whole".