• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FYI about HDR.
The HDR is the same as the demo meaning its mapping is borked and requires some fiddling to get acceptable.
In fact even in the normal SDR there is a lot of adjustments that I had to make as well.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
There go my night plans. Here I am reading reviews, watching YT and just being a child excited. I am excited. Are you excited?

Jan 4, 2018
I haven't got time to read through all the reviews right now but I just want to know, how often does Mr X appear?
My experience may have been different since I didn't want to waste ammo on him, but once he showed up he was a pretty much a constant threat while inside the PD. Less in A (Claire), more in B (Leon), but not sure what the reason for that was.

I would be able to occasionally lose him, but he'd find me within a couple minutes usually. There are some rooms (outside of saferooms) that he won't go into though.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Very difficult. Worse than Madhouse. A single bite from a Zombie can take you down to Red Danger. There's only two or so Ink Ribbons for the first area of the RPD. Boss enemies are much faster, as is Mr. X (but he's still manageable). Lickers are pretty much a death sentence if you don't have a weapon that'll stun lock them (and given how rare the ammo is, you probably won't.)

Hardcore is a great challenge, but it's definitely not for your first play.
That sounds like exactly what I want the experience to be like. How does the amount of ammo compare between normal, hardcore, and the demo? Are enemy positions remixed too, like Madhouse?

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
My experience may have been different since I didn't want to waste ammo on him, but once he showed up he was a pretty much a constant threat while inside the PD. Less in A (Claire), more in B (Leon), but not sure what the reason for that was. I would be able to occasionally lose him, but he'd find me within a couple minutes usually. There are some rooms (outside of saferooms) that he won't go into though.

I was stood stock still in a single room at one point and after about a minute he just marched through the door - I shat myself and ran.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once he's on the map in RPD, he's on the map and can go most places and into most rooms (but not all, so there are safe spaces). You can lose him, but doing stuff like firing a weapon might draw him from the other side of the building to where you are, etc. He tracks you, basically. Once you leave RPD, he'll show up in a similar fashion in other locations, though he's never as a threatening, always-on-you presence as in his earliest appearances.

Sounds incredibly annoying. I hope there's a day 1 mod to change his behavior.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
6 each one, what is good enough for a survival horror.

This is good lenght, why people are complaining here?
Very difficult. Worse than Madhouse. A single bite from a Zombie can take you down to Red Danger. There's only two or so Ink Ribbons for the first area of the RPD. Boss enemies are much faster, as is Mr. X (but he's still manageable). Lickers are pretty much a death sentence if you don't have a weapon that'll stun lock them (and given how rare the ammo is, you probably won't.)

Sounds good. How is the standard mode? Does it get really easy? I'm tempted to start on hardcore.

Platinum trophy will be tricky one for sure.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
It seems he is quite constant for the first 2/3 of the game.

Not sure if I am happy about that, nemmy was predictable to a degree in RE3 and I still felt like I had time to explore and enjoy the atmosphere.

I don't want to be constantly running from Mr X, I can see that quickly becoming a tiresome burden.

Is the impression that it's almost like "outlast" in the way it has been done? A constant threat stalking you and no way to escape it?

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing these reviews just quadrupled my excitement for DMCV, please keep this Capcom golden age going!

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Everything you said makes it sound like the mode I want to try first; found the demo's difficulty way too easy. It's great that it's playable right from the start.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That sounds like exactly what I want the experience to be like. How does the amount of ammo compare between normal, hardcore, and the demo? Are enemy positions remixed too, like Madhouse?

There's less in Hardcore, for sure. It also takes a lot more to down enemies so evasionn is your best option.

I don't believe enemy positions are remixed.

I was stood stock still in a single room at one point and after about a minute he just marched through the door - I shat myself and ran.

Yeah, he does march and patrol. There's been times where (I play with a headset) I've heard his steps get louder and I've just frozen and he's walked straight past me. Great sense of accomplishment when you evade him completely. Haha.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
If you want to see an awesome, spoiler-free review, go watch SkillUp's.

He is arguably the best reviewer in the business right now imo.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I admit even when testing FPS and counting resolution and moving around the game slowly. I was never once bothered by Mr X. As in I found him an interesting and at times dangerous addition but one that fit and it never bothered me even if it made some stuff harder

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Sounds incredibly annoying. I hope there's a day 1 mod to change his behavior.

That's exactly what I was thinking, it sounds a little bit annoying. Especially if you are planning on playing the game over and over again.

I am sure people new to the game might find it thrilling and it will probably work well on twitch streams for jump scares but is it going to contribute to an enjoyable experience over the long term?

That's my worry.

Jan 4, 2018
I admit even when testing FPS and counting resolution and moving around the game slowly. I was never once bothered by Mr X. As in I found him an interesting and at times dangerous addition but one that fit and it never bothered me even if it made some stuff harder
Yeah once I figured out he's pretty easy to outrun he wasn't much of a problem (although sometimes he would corner me in a puzzle). Trickier in hardcore though, especially when trying to sneak past a licker and he just suddenly busts in the room.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah, he does march and patrol. There's been times where (I play with a headset) I've heard his steps get louder and I've just frozen and he's walked straight past me. Great sense of accomplishment when you evade him completely. Haha.

I did this in the records room, just hid behind a shelving unit, he came in, looked around, turned and then left. Then I walked out, wasn't sure if he'd gone left or right, gambled on right and ran straight into him. Yelp, scream, retreat, etc.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Walking with a joystick or aiming with a mouse? What's more important?

Debating between PS4 Pro and my gaming PC. I MUCH prefer KB/M for shooters; but I typically like controller for 3rd person character action games.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Not sure if I am happy about that, nemmy waz predictable to a degree in RE3 and I still felt like I had time to explore and enjoy the atmosphere.

I don't want to be constantly running from Mr X, I can see that quickly becoming a tiresome burden.

Is the impression that it's almost like "outlast" in the way it has been done? A constant threat stalking you and no way to escape it?

The "advantage" RE3 had is that they could work with doors as a gate mechanic. So that allowed for the developers to determine when and how Nemesis could show up and follow the player.

Technicall progress create a challenge from RE2. Reviews seems to not be entirely positive about it, and so I think how much people will like Mr. X will change a lot from person to person.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah once I figured out he's pretty easy to outrun he wasn't much of a problem (although sometimes he would corner me in a puzzle). Trickier in hardcore though, especially when trying to sneak past a licker and he just suddenly busts in the room.
This is how I felt. I admit I liked those random moments ALOT. But thats again probably because he added an element to the game versus an annoyance to me so those things added to my need to plan.

Flozuki

Nov 7, 2017
Any word on which version to get when I have a Pro and the X? Never played 2 and I want to avoid any spoilers^^

Great scores so far, my guess was mid to high 80s xD

Last edited:

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If I absolutely loved RE4 but fucking hate playing horror games (or movies, books etc), do you think I should still give RE2, which sounds like one of the series' peak moments, a fair shake? I feel like the obvious answer to this is "YES" but maybe it's not as clear cut as we all know RE4 was a total pivot from classic RE gameplay.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, not every review under the sun is included currently, but I've been updating it for over an hour so going to break. Will post reviews that others in the topic post for a bit after, but not going to go out of my way to fetch everything now.