• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Are there gonna be affinity files and stuff? I liked in the old GOTY threads when we could see people with similar tastes to our own. It's far more interesting than the overall results.

(also no Bayonetta in this list is mad depressing)

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
  • Bloodborne (#3)
  • Death Stranding
  • DOOM (#21)
  • Fallout: New Vegas (#20)
  • God of War (2018) (#6)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (#28)
  • Mass Effect 2 (#7)
  • NieR: Automata (#9)
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Persona 5 (#22)
  • Portal 2 (#8)
  • Red Dead Redemption (#19)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (#11)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (#16)
  • The Last of Us (#2)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (#1)
  • The Walking Dead: Season One
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (#4)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (#23)
  • Yakuza 0 (#15)
8/10 in the top 10
12/20 in the top 20
17/20 in the top 30

Pretty darn good decade.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Champions in more ways than one

latest

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely terrific Top 5 and great work by B-Dubs and all involved! Incredible decade all around. Now with that out of the way...

-Red Dead 2 out of the Top 10
-New Vegas insultingly low
-Outer Wilds snubbed completely

wrong_with_you_people_office_space.gif

Never expected personal darlings like Prey or Pathologic 2 to make it, but Outer Wilds mustered more than enough visibility and hype, not only around here, but in the wider games 'conversation'. The ommision really stands out, like leaving 2001 off its decade's film list.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely terrific Top 5 and great work by B-Dubs and all involved! Incredible decade all around. Now with that out of the way...

-Red Dead 2 out of the Top 10
-New Vegas insultingly low
-Outer Wilds snubbed completely

wrong_with_you_people_office_space.gif

Never expected personal darlings like Prey or Pathologic 2 to make it, but Outer Wilds mustered more than enough visibility and hype, not only around here, but in the wider games 'conversation'. The ommision really stands out, like leaving 2001 off its decade's film list.
I voted for Outer Wilds. :(

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never NOT be salty over Dark Souls getting the credits over Demon's Souls. Greatest injustice of all -gaming- times.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Seeing Breath of the Wild there means a lot more when you think about the tumultuous decade Nintendo had. By 2013, the success of the Wii was just a memory and the Wii U clearly had no future beyond limping onwards. Even the 3DS seemed vulnerable after resuscitation from its anemic launch. For the first time in a long time, Nintendo seemed unimportant to the gaming landscape at large. Awesome games? Sure, but more a novelty than a company with agency in the gaming world at large. It satisfied the Nintendo fan, but the rest of the world moved on.

Then Switch is released alongside of this wonderful game. Obviously Breath of the Wild isn't everything to the success and reimergince of Nintendo, but symbolically it acted as a sort of (Shrine of) resurrection. Nintendo still had something to say, not just to its fans, but to the world at large. Zelda is at once both a hearkening to the past glories while paving new trails into the future. A Celebration of what Zelda, and gaming, was, is, and can be.

The game means a lot for so many people, in so many different ways. All I know is that it's an adventure unlike any other. Cheers!

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I missed that voting for this was a thing but Breath of the Wild is exactly the right note to hit♥️

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda Breath of The Wild, Bloodborne, Nier: Automata, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 (2019), Kingdom Hearts III: ReMind, plus a couple others would be my top 10.

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
#1 is absolutely correct

Edit:
rest of the list is great too, basically what I would pick in a slightly different order

Last edited:

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Votes not being weighted completely turned me off of participating in a voting thread ever again. It's just so much less fun, and requires much less thought.
Same for me, the voting system with points was so much better. Not only it's more fun to compile an ordered list of preference, but also the resulting statistics are richer and allow more interesting querries and observations.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Okay list. Surprised Monster Hunter World or Arkham City didn't show up. Figured Persona 5 would have finished high on this forum too.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Can we have the full results list posted? Curious how many votes some of my picks got (although it won't be many).

I hope we use the old voting system for future votes, not a fan of the new system.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Breath of the Wild there means a lot more when you think about the tumultuous decade Nintendo had. By 2013, the success of the Wii was just a memory and the Wii U clearly had no future beyond limping onwards. Even the 3DS seemed vulnerable after resuscitation from its anemic launch. For the first time in a long time, Nintendo seemed unimportant to the gaming landscape at large. Awesome games? Sure, but more a novelty than a company with agency in the gaming world at large. It satisfied the Nintendo fan, but the rest of the world moved on.

Then Switch is released alongside of this wonderful game. Obviously Breath of the Wild isn't everything to the success and reimergince of Nintendo, but symbolically it acted as a sort of (Shrine of) resurrection. Nintendo still had something to say, not just to its fans, but to the world at large. Zelda is at once both a hearkening to the past glories while paving new trails into the future. A Celebration of what Zelda, and gaming, was, is, and can be.

The game means a lot for so many people, in so many different ways. All I know is that it's an adventure unlike any other. Cheers!
I absolutely view BotW as the Switch's most important game and one of their most important ever, fantastic quality aside even.

Sure Animal Crossing and Smash will outsell it, but BotW is what got the core gamers on board and showed the potential of the console and it's purpose PERFECTLY. A giant open world game on par and even better than current gen open world games... on a portable too! It being a launch title started the Switch on an even better direction than the Wii - a core user base that keeps growing and then spreads on a massive scale to a more casual one, rather than starting off a strong zeitgeist and then tapering off.

You're absolutely right that it's a symbol of Nintendo's rebirth and resurrection.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Thanks to all the staff for setting up the voting systems and combing through all the results! Seems like a solid list, although I've not played many of them at all. Surprising to see both Ubisoft and Microsoft largely absent. Would've expected their games to win more votes.

Constructive feedback:
- The OP of the voting thread was very long (to explain the new ballot system, so makes sense). I wonder if that caused a lot of folks to scroll past it, and they missed the request to add motivation to some of their picks. Maybe for the GOTY voting the ballot explanation should be moved to the 2nd post?
Would rather see lots of people vote, than mandating people to motivate their choices, but it'd be nice to see people's thoughts and not just their lists.

- Echoing other comments how it'd be neat to see the entire list, even if it's just unsorted raw data in a janky spreadsheet somewhere. I'm curious if anyone else voted for Sin & Punishment: Star Successor lol. Maybe it's not possible for this round, but perhaps worth considering for the GOTY vote in January.

Thanks for all the effort and write-ups per year in the lead-up to this vote.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Good top 10, only really find myself disagreeing with TLOU and God of War but that's because the game style isn't to my taste.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
that's... a very good list lol. Better than expected, personally I wouldn't put Zelda BOTW so high but I can't disagree with the list in general

OneSneakyBob

Nov 19, 2019
I played and finished 23 out of the 30 games listed and enjoyed them all, so great list to me. Gonna make it a personal goal to play the 7 I missed. Would've liked to see the list be a top 50 though, as there's always gonna be glaring omissions but at least more titles could've been recognized.

Interesting note: based on the year these games came out in NA, the year 2017 had the most games on this list with 7 releases, including the number one ranked game. 2015 is second with 5 releases, while 2010 and 2018 tied for third with 4.

2011 has 3, 2012+2013+2016 all have 2, while last year's 2019 has 1.

2014 is the only year without a game on the list, not even Bayonetta 2, which ranked number 1 on the old place's original 2014 Top 10 list.

If I made an error, feel free to correct me as I did this while bored at work.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Expected number 1, not a great game by any means but Nintendo players doesn't have a lot to vote for this last decade unlike the 00s when there was the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, etc.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Kudos to all fine people with the numbers, graphics etc. You are doing God's work here.

Ocarina of Time being considered the greatest video game of all time. BOTW constantly being selected as a game of the 2010-2019 everywhere... what a loser of a game series. Where were they during 2000-2009 huh?!?!?

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020
Seeing BotW winning GotD is satisfying for me, but also expected lol.
That said considering the new voting system with no order of preference, I would be glad if I the full list of commentaries from everyone are published. I hate seeing nuances and critiques buried under a scoring system, but I hate even more when almost nothing got shown except the vote tallies and some hand-picked comments lol. Just like reading game reviews, browsing through commentaries can potentially expand my perspective a lot and improve my insights on games of this decade. It can also push me to try new games which I hesitated in the past. But welp in the meantime I can just skim through the voting thread I guess xD

membran

Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised to see Hollow Knight in the top 10. Such a great little game that surprises you with just how big it really is.

Last edited:

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Expected number 1, not a great game by any means but Nintendo players doesn't have a lot to vote for this last decade unlike the 00s when there was the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, etc.
LMAO. There are some salty BOTW takes in this thread, but this one takes the cake!

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
It's a really hilarious take considering BOTW has by now far exceeded the reach of any previous Zelda entry and it was for plenty of people their first introduction to the franchise (also plenty of "Nintendo players" have access to other platforms, dummy)

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
It's a really hilarious take considering BOTW has by now far exceeded the reach of any previous Zelda entry and it was for plenty of people their first introduction to the franchise (also plenty of "Nintendo players" have access to other platforms, dummy)

Switch hype + first experience with a "prestige" franchise. Most oldschool Zelda fans that i know hate this game.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For people who think games are overrated and millions of people are wrong instead of you just not liking a video game

tumblr_inline_npbrclbC6P1t2fngo_1280.png

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The whole idea of thinking a game is overrated is flawed because you're assuming your personal feelings towards it are somehow the "correct" ones and everybody who likes it more than you is wrong.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
User Warned - Platform Warring (Thread Banned)
nah you threw shade at the people who enjoyed BOTW and voted for it because they supposedly don't know any better which is what I'm mostly refuting.

Nope, i said in other words that players on Nintendo platforms doesn't really have much choice when voting, from the top 10 there's only BotW, Hollow Knight and late inferior ports of TW3 and Dark Souls on Switch. So BotW will obviously concentrate the votes as the flagship title of the console.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, i said in other words that players on Nintendo platforms doesn't really have much choice when voting, from the top 10 there's only BotW, Hollow Knight and late inferior ports of TW3 and Dark Souls on Switch. So BotW will obviously concentrate the votes as the flagship title of the console.
Nintendo released more 90+ meta games than any other publisher this decade.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This somehow assumes people with Nintendo platforms don't have any other platforms. And that Switch is the only Nintendo platform in the last decade.

It's also extremely, extremely false.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Breath of the Wild at #1
Hollow Knight in the top 10
Death Stranding not in the top 30

Couldn't be prouder of Era's tastes.