• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Really? there is netflix everywhere I doubt is their fault, I am inclined to believe that Nintendo are really difficult to work with, since the early 90's we have heard the same kind of things.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I understand the ask by why would you want to bloat your switch with apps that are literally built into almost every tv and mobile device today?

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two apps with Nico Nico.

Again, what logical reason is there for Nintendo to refuse to allow Netflix on their mega hit platform? There is zero logic for this to be a Nintendo-side issue.
Seems like a question Reggie could tackle, right? Like asking Twitch, Youtube, Netflix, ESPN, HBO, Showtime, Starz etc etc etc why their apps are out on everything except the Switch. Again, this is on Nintendo.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Considering Netflix is probably available on the ice maker in my fridge at this point, I'm going to wager a guess that the lack of Netflix on Switch is a Nintendo problem

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to bet this is Nintendo holding it up. We've learned in the pass they can be misleading. Netflix I'm sure would love to be on the switch.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand the ask by why would you want to bloat your switch with apps that are literally built into almost every tv and mobile device today?

I think it's partially a standard thing (everyone multimedia device nowadays has at least Netflix, Prime, Hulu and YouTube), and it's a convenient thing because people who just played a game on the Switch can just go to Netflix there instead of changing to a different device or whatever

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hulu and no Netflix was a condition by Disney to get in early on their streaming service. Don't believe me? Look at their recent partnerships.

;)

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which ones? It's literally just Netflix and Vudu in terms of big ones, and Vudu hasn't ever supported Nintendo AFAIK.

You can't be serious lol. Prime, YouTube, WWE Network, Crunchyroll, Crackle, Spotify, etc. There's ton more than just Netflix, Hulu and Vudu lol. I don't think anyone even gives a shit about Vudu anymore

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
At launch it was ok not to have it, but now after over a year in 2018 when everything including WiiU and PS Vita have Netflix and Youtube not having them on a successuful console which can also be a tablet like the Switch is ridiculous. Also Switch is based on ARM which is the same architecture every mobile device uses, it should take weeks at most to make a Switch version

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
But didn't Netflix say it was in Nintendos court and I'm more inclined to believe them to be honest.

images8oasrp.jpeg

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You can't be serious lol. Prime, YouTube, WWE Network, Crunchyroll, Crackle, Spotify, etc. There's ton more than just Netflix, Hulu and Vudu lol. I don't think anyone even gives a shit about Vudu anymore
Regardless, there is zero reason for Nintendo to give Nico Nico and Hulu the OK, but block off everyone else. It's not a logical argument.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is such a terrible argument. How is having apps I use all the time "bloat"? One mans bloat is another mans options. Options are good because they allow people who want something to have it, and those who dont want it dont have to have it.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Netflix in March 2018 said:
In the case of the Switch, they [Nintendo] were very focused at launch not on video-use cases, but on gaming cases, video was not a priority for them. Whether that changes over time, we have a great relationship with them and look at the possibility of the Switch. We each have opportunity cost around that, but at some point, it might happen.
Source

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Netflix probably assumed, like many others, that Switch would flop, and were caught with their pants down. Sooner or later, they'll have to admit their mistake by releasing an app for it. I'd be shocked if this year ends without it launching.

Even if that's the case, the Switch has been a smash hit for long enough for them to have rectified that by now. I imagine something more is going on by the scenes either with Netflix or with Nintendo, but no idea what it could be. If it was just a case of Netflix waiting to see the numbers, determine Switch wasn't a flop, then developing the app from scratch, it still would have launched a while ago.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Imagine being Netflix and thinking "Ok, should we devote a budget to this totally surperfluous device when everyone owns a tablet or telephone with a better screen? Should we? Ok, let's move on".

The biggest problem is that the switch's screen is terrible compared to most devices that Netflix supports. What's the point in offering an inferior experience?

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

Personally if I had the choice, I would use my Switch for Netflix over my phone. Slightly larger screen than my phone, can watch uninterrupted( phone calls) and the Switch has the little built-in kickstand.

Something like Netflix should be a no-brainer for any modern entertainment device IMHO, especially a portable one, regardless if it's a secondary function.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Let's say its on Netflix, what about YouTube, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, ESPN, etc.? Is Hulu and that other app just the only reasonable ones and every streaming app that's managed to be on every other platform besides switch in the wrong? I don't really see that being that case.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The nintendo switch might lack something that goes against streaming conditions Netflix /youtube/ others have set up

There's various laws regarding TCP/IP where a device has to stream at certain bit and maybe the nintendo switch isn't hitting those right conditions. Then again Hulu has managed to be on the system so wtf?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being Netflix and thinking "Ok, should we devote a budget to this totally surperfluous device when everyone owns a tablet or telephone with a better screen? Should we? Ok, let's move on".

The biggest problem is that the switch's screen is terrible compared to most devices that Netflix supports. What's the point in offering an inferior experience?
This logic didn't stop Netflix from putting out a 3DS app

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty soon, there will be a Robot Chicken skit where someone asks a Reggie toy "where's Netflix" in which toy Reggie will say "with Mother 3".

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Oh maybe it's more about save space space? Maybe Netflix wants too much of that 32gig.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

They could have also asked that question with respects to the Wii U and especially the 3ds( talking about inferior screens) if that were the case. I can't imagine this being a barrier with regards to why it doesn't currently exist on Switch.

Mr Pricklefingers

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 4, 2017
My take is that from the start Nintendo wanted the Switch to be perceived as a gaming device and not a tablet, and so was very strict on what other media apps they allowed on it. But now that the Switch is successful and has established it's place in the market, Nintendo are perhaps more open to apps like Netflix, so the ball is now in their court?

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Netflix probably wants a lil somethin somethin for the effort

I'm more inclined to believe it's Nintendo that probably have conditions on allowing these streaming companies on their platform, the likes of Netflix will put their app on almost anything to increase their reach and maybe Nintendo feel access to their player base is worth something.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Would be amazing if they made it work but only if I can download content. I might as well watch it on a big screen without it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that people love to shit on Reggie and calling him out...this also was my first reaction.

But the NicoNico app in Japan or the Hulu app show that Nintendo is open to VOD applications. If Reggie says its on Netflix as of now ...I can believe that.

Maybe they have to do a bit more on Switch than just to Port the mobile version and weren't willing to foot the bill and/or hope that Nintendo pays for the Switch app.

Seems weird.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it is that Netflix wanted to be on Switch since launch, but Nintendo prioritised games the first year, and didn't want Netflix to be on the Switch. Now that they do want Netflix on there, Netflix put them on low priority. There is a human side to doing business as well.

If Netflix cared about screen quality, there wouldn't be a 3DS app.