• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think RDR2 will be surpassed?

• 0-5 years

• 5-10 years

• 10+ years

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I know it's unpopular but I didn't enjoy RDR much, as the setting and tedium turned me off so I didn't get RDR2. Watching videos doesn't instill much confidence that I'd enjoy it.

I think TLoU2 will be more up my alley although I'm not super hyped about it either. It looks good but eh.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
RDR2 trounces God of War in almost every metric used for success. Critically, commercially and fiscally. It's still selling well.

Game is treated as a landmark moment for the industry by most. Time to accept it.
So why did rdr2 get significantly fewer goty awards? God of war is a better game, get over it

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people always have to bring up God of War in threads about RDR2.

RDR2 reviewed better, GoW received more goty awards.
The awards aren't enough. The numbers, man. THE NUMBERS. 97. 95. 97. 95. 97. 95. What does the meaningless two point difference mean? What does RDR2 got that Gears of War don't got? The sleepless hours, how they can drive a man to insanity just thinking about such a conundrum.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
A game with mountainous highs and equally big lows. I found it a pretty frustrating experience. So atmospheric and detailed, but so tedious to actually play with some terrible pacing and mission-design.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
It's good in terms of graphics, story, and characters. But that gameplay though. The sluggish movement, slow animations, unresponsiveness controls, the shooting killed my interest. And who's idea was it to make is so that you can't even jog while in camp
Maybe y'all complaining about the controls just weren't good at the game.

lol this is the worst game you could have used that argument for

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What part of it hasn't already been surpassed? The writing isn't nearly as good, evocative or nuanced as the Witcher 3, not to mention the art style is less evocative (and the faces way worse and less expressive). It's incredibly one-note ("Aren't we such bad men? We truly are bad. But you're marginally worse than I, Marston." "Well I disagree and find you to be the worse of us two, Morgan." "Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that front. At least Dutch, one of the least interesting or charismatic villains in the history of games, has some vague plan for us to follow. We can agree there. Anyway let's ignore that plan and do a boring fishing minigame and hunt for no reason."). All of the gameplay scenarios are just have the gun auto-aim at the guy, shoot, pull the trigger again to ready it, repeat, oh and if you slowly trudge 3 centimeters away from the intended area you'll have to start again.Do this for like 60 hours over and over and over again because literally every mission is this. Also feel free to ignore this arcane and ludicrous core system which 80% of people who finish this game do so while never even remotely understanding how it works because it doesn't matter, just like nearly every other mechanic shoved in there for the sake of "realism" (which it does not even remotely reach) at the expense of hundreds of mistreated and overworked developers.

Enjoy the many thrills of Red Dead Redemption 2, such as "Do you enjoy watching these racist and sexist contractors build this framehouse? No? Oh." or "Watch us split this log; once we're done cutting, we'll move on to the next segment! Definitely worth the PTSD from development stresses!" or "Ah, a pleasant stroll through the meadow grove on my hors-annnnnnd it tripped over a piece pf gravel again and sent me flying face-first into a tree again." or "We care about indigenous peoples and this is a very serious game about the American dream. JK LOL YOU'VE GOT TUBERCULOSIS WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE PEOPLE THIS COUNTRY RAPED AND PILLAGED CAUSE YOU'RE A SAD BAD MAN"

Red Dead Redemption 2 is horseshit top-to-bottom. There's nothing remarkable about it. It's a frankenstein gestalt of bespoke pieces that add up to nothing. At least the sunsets were pretty.

If you seriously think the game was saying "who gives a shit about the native Americans because Arthur has tuberculosis", you were quite literally not paying attention.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think about it. DIdn't think it was very good and outside of a few things it doesn't have much staying power with me. I didn't think the first was good either.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
Rockstar's games are one of the few that make me really itching to buy again everytime it comes out on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
What part of it hasn't already been surpassed? The writing isn't nearly as good, evocative or nuanced as the Witcher 3, not to mention the art style is less evocative (and the faces way worse and less expressive). It's incredibly one-note ("Aren't we such bad men? We truly are bad. But you're marginally worse than I, Marston." "Well I disagree and find you to be the worse of us two, Morgan." "Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that front. At least Dutch, one of the least interesting or charismatic villains in the history of games, has some vague plan for us to follow. We can agree there. Anyway let's ignore that plan and do a boring fishing minigame and hunt for no reason."). All of the gameplay scenarios are just have the gun auto-aim at the guy, shoot, pull the trigger again to ready it, repeat, oh and if you slowly trudge 3 centimeters away from the intended area you'll have to start again.Do this for like 60 hours over and over and over again because literally every mission is this. Also feel free to ignore this arcane and ludicrous core system which 80% of people who finish this game do so while never even remotely understanding how it works because it doesn't matter, just like nearly every other mechanic shoved in there for the sake of "realism" (which it does not even remotely reach) at the expense of hundreds of mistreated and overworked developers.

Enjoy the many thrills of Red Dead Redemption 2, such as "Do you enjoy watching these racist and sexist contractors build this framehouse? No? Oh." or "Watch us split this log; once we're done cutting, we'll move on to the next segment! Definitely worth the PTSD from development stresses!" or "Ah, a pleasant stroll through the meadow grove on my hors-annnnnnd it tripped over a piece pf gravel again and sent me flying face-first into a tree again." or "We care about indigenous peoples and this is a very serious game about the American dream. JK LOL YOU'VE GOT TUBERCULOSIS WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE PEOPLE THIS COUNTRY RAPED AND PILLAGED CAUSE YOU'RE A SAD BAD MAN"

Red Dead Redemption 2 is horseshit top-to-bottom. There's nothing remarkable about it. It's a frankenstein gestalt of bespoke pieces that add up to nothing. At least the sunsets were pretty.

Lmao great post

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Hope the pc version in 60 fps some how makes it feel 100 times more responsive to play but doubtful. I gave up after 10 hours.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Absolutely, we are in a honeymoon phase thats lasting over a year. We are absolutely lying to ourself about liking this game . You are absolutely right that that it is insane to give this game high scores , no matter how much you enjoyed the experience, no matter how much people think its fantastic technological and artistic achievement of the medium. You are absolutely right that over 130 publications that gave RDR 2 game of the year they really did not actually think it was GOTY . You hit the nail on the head about alll of it,. when RDR 2 got 3rd place in this forum GOTY votes? Those people were actually were just confused on what to vote , they forgot God of War existed that year, due to release window. Your insight is something most people should take note.

Yikes. looks like that hit a nerve.
This post wont change the fact that the game controls like garbage, and still got beat by God Of War for GOTY. You can write paragraphs for days and that wont change any of that.
All Im saying is that the game doesnt live up to that 97 it got at all.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
RDR2 trounces God of War in almost every metric used for success. Critically, commercially and fiscally. It's still selling well.

Game is treated as a landmark moment for the industry by most. Time to accept it.

Wait and GOW isnt? GOW is considered the game of the generation by the whole industry. Have you not accepted that or something?
GOW got more praise than red dead did for sure. Not sure where you are getting all this from.
Did it sell more by being on more consoles? Sure, Does every multiple do that? No. Let it go.

as a matter of fact there isnt one thing that Red Dead does better than GOW. When it comes to story, controls, character plot all of it is better in GOW.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wait and GOW isnt? GOW is considered the game of the generation by the whole industry. Have you not accepted that or something?
GOW got more praise than red dead did for sure. Not sure where you are getting all this from.

Yup, that's why it has 94 MC compared to 97 MC for RDR2, because the entire industry considers it the game of the generation.
Makes perfect sense.

Honestly, can't you just accept both games ate stellar, some people like one of them better, other people like the other one better, and move on?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RDR2 has like no gameplay and the shittiest controls I've experienced this gen. GOW winning more GOTY awards says it all. Time to accept it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Did it sell more by being on more consoles? Sure, Does every multiple do that? No. Let it go.

as a matter of fact there isnt one thing that Red Dead does better than GOW. When it comes to story, controls, character plot all of it is better in GOW.

This is a really weird argument to make. Also, I had way way more interest in the RDR2 story than I did in God of War's, so...shrug.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Yup, that's why it has 94 MC compared to 97 MC for RDR2, because the entire industry considers it the game of the generation.
Makes perfect sense.

Honestly, can't you just accept both games ate stellar, some people like one of them better, other people like the other one better, and move on?

Where you here on planet earth the last 2 years or something? GOW even with a lower meta score got a waaay better reception than Red Dead did. Are you kidding me? Yes the entire industry considers GOW the game of the generation. Did you not see how many more GOTY awards got over Red Dead? Where have you been dude? even on the biggest gaming stage of them all GOW got picked over Red Dead.
This isnt about accepting both games are stellar, this whole thread was about a game that was better than Red Dead. It ended up being a game that came out before it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
It felt like playing a video game from the future.

I definitely lost steam half way through and feel the game was way too long, but it has stuck with me in the last year like few have.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Where you here on planet earth the last 2 years or something? GOW even with a lower meta score got a waaay better reception than Red Dead did. Are you kidding me? Yes the entire industry considers GOW the game of the generation. Did you not see how many more GOTY awards got over Red Dead? Where have you been dude? even on the biggest gaming stage of them all GOW got picked over Red Dead.
This isnt about accepting both games are stellar, this whole thread was about a game that was better than Red Dead. It ended up being a game that came out before it.

You do realize that GotY awards don't actually mean anything, right?

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
This is a really weird argument to make. Also, I had way way more interest in the RDR2 story than I did in God of War's, so...shrug.

ok? thats you. when it comes to the industry they showed that they enjoyed GOW more than Red Dead. which is why the game won more GOTy and is considered game of the gen, by more people.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will unfortunately have to agree that RDR2 has no gameplay. Where is the gameplay, show it to me. This video game has no gameplay.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was a beautiful game with top notch ambiance that I gave up on and traded away like 3 hours in

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

What if I told you the Metacritic score is literally an aggregate of what the reviewers, you know, the actual industry press, thought?

Mind blown, I know, right?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I always love to imagine how we are going to remember these games.

Super Metroid and RE4 are the two examples I always think of. On release they had fanatical fans but I don't think people were ready to call them the GOATs or remarkable achievements in the industry until about 5 years had passed.

Bloodbourne and Zelda to me are the ones that are going to age the best but I could definitely be wrong and maybe it will be Red Dead 2 or God of War.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Any game can get a good review. But GOTY? That's a whole different story.

It really isn't that important. GotY awards aren't real awards, they don't mean anything beyond "at the end of the year this was the game we came to a consensus vote on".

Yakuza 0 is a better game than most games that came out in 2017, but it won almost no GotY awards. It doesn't mean anything.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't that important. GotY awards aren't real awards, they don't mean anything beyond "at the end of the year this was the game we came to a consensus vote on".

Yakuza 0 is a better game than most games that came out in 2017, but it won almost no GotY awards. It doesn't mean anything.
I put lots of time into Yakuza 0 and the only good thing about it was the story and characters. Everything else sucks. That's the real reason it won nothing.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any game can get a good review. But GOTY? That's a whole different story. You can try to convince yourself otherwise but it won't work. GOTY is a much bigger achievement than a good review.

What??

What happens if a year had tons and tons of 7 out of ten games, and nothing of true greatness.

Game of the year means nothing in retrospect....Ive never really seen or heard someone say. "X game was game of the year in 20**" but I have heard people reference a games review score.

WHat was game of the year 2015? 2016? 2017? I have absolutely no idea.

Also, which game of the year is THE game of the year?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was astounded by it as a cinematic experience and it's World. Outside of TLOU II I don't see it being bested in terms of story telling and characterisation for at least a few years.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I put lots of time into Yakuza 0 and the only good thing about it was the story and characters. Everything else sucks. That's the real reason it won nothing.

The gameplay was way, way, way more fun for me than God of War, so...

giphy.gif

It's almost like there is no such thing as objective quality.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wont stop saying this, its the greatest achievement in gaming so far. Nothing i've seen so far comes anywhere close to it, and i don think anything will until Rockstar decide they want to top it.
What the f?

The mission design is from 2001. Linear scripted missions with no freedom in an amazing free world

It is such a big flaw that the whole game suffers greatly from it imo

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
It was like playing an epic. An amazing story and one of the most memorable protagonists I've ever played as. It was an incredible experience.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay was way, way, way more fun for me than God of War, so...

giphy.gif

It's almost like there is no such thing as objective quality.
I've never met a Yakuza player that played the games for the combat tbh. The combat is honestly pretty shit in every Yakuza game, it feels like something tacked on. I play the games because I think the general story is good.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the game is a bit too big and long. I love parts of the game but it feels a bit too much

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I've never met a Yakuza player that played the games for the combat tbh. The combat is honestly pretty shit in every Yakuza game, it feels like something tacked on. I play the games because I think the general story is good.

It's all about Kiryu being amazing and all the side stories.