• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Since when is length any barometer to how good a game is? Most platformers are like 12-15 hours long
I'm not making a statement on how lengths makes a good game or not. I'm saying how it might affect the MC score and length can be a factor that reviewers look into. If the game is say 6-7 hours instead of the expected 8-10 based on previous R&C games (without replay), it'll definitely affect the score.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Bring her back.

latest

amplifying this

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
The safe bet is 80 to high 80s but maybe the graphical aspects may bump the ratings up.

This seems a higher budget Ratchet than others one, isn't it?

I'll enjoy it nonetheless for sure

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
90 bby.

I think Rivet and the DualSense paired with new weaponry will help make this entry feel fresh. Plus the rifts and the presentation in general the game will have that next gen wow factor going for it.

I also wonder what the writing will be like. Miles Morales and Spider-Man have great writing so I'm expecting the best Ratchet story.

At the very least I can't see this game disappointing Ratchet fans.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think its length will make or break the score. If it's short it'll land somewhere around 84-85, if it's a good length it'll hang closer to 90.

The game length will also help to decide my purchase day one or my purchase a couple to several months later when there's a sale. I expect the game to be great, but with a €80 (which is almost 100 dollar) price tag it also has to provide a substantial amount of playtime. Have there been any comments made about game length at all?

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The game length will also help to decide my purchase day one or my purchase a couple to several months later when there's a sale. I expect the game to be great, but with a €80 (which is almost 100 dollar) price tag it also has to provide a substantial amount of playtime. Have there been any comments made about game length at all?

Based on playtime estimates leaked so far it seems to be around 18 -20 hrs for the main campaign first time through which will make it the biggest Ratchet game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Based on playtime estimates leaked so far it seems to be around 18 -20 hrs for the main campaign first time through which will make it the biggest Ratchet game.

Around 20 hours main campaign does sound like a great length that jusifies the high price tag. Hope it remains true when reviews drop. I'd love to play the game day one and add to those 20 hours 20 hours of me just taking photos in that beauty. :)

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Predictions: I expect reviews will heap lavish praise on the visuals, and I'm optimistic that the story and characters will have had a substantial lift from prior iterations and that this will add further to the praise. It'll be a seriously solid title worthy of MC 87+, widely recognized as an impressive achievement so early in the generation.

I'm also expecting some misgivings about whether the gameplay needs to evolve more than it has, and whether Rivet not having a dramatically different set of gameplay mechanics isn't something of a missed opportunity. That's the one aspect that might keep Rift Apart from getting into that rarified 90+ territory.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This cant be worse than 2016's Ratchet and Clank, which for some reason got a 85 from critics.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Rivet hype is too great for anything under a 90. We have to believe.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Seems like you can platinum it in like 20-25 hours looking at the ones who've already done so.

The trophy list seems easy as fuck so I'm hoping 100% completion pushes it up to 30-ish.

Seaweed

alt account
Banned
May 27, 2021
Man, I hate that publishers still rely on Metacritic for incentives or bonuses or anything, really.

Hopefully this game reviews well.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sony already brought it up and people swallowed it with Demon's Souls and Returnal. I'd say it's a done deal. 🤷‍♂️

How were the sales numbers of both games? Under expectations, met expectations or exceeded expectations? I do really wonder if people "just swallow" the price hike like that.
Additionally, while people still buy those big, new Sony exclusives that only once in a while release, they might tighten their purse strings with other, smaller games instead.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm feeling 90. It'll get a bump for being the first next gen showcase on PS5.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
How were the sales numbers of both games? Under expectations, met expectations or exceeded expectations? I do really wonder if people "just swallow" the price hike like that.
They only said "successful" for Returnal with no numbers yet, let alone Demon's Souls Remake.

Take that as you will.

Whether how comparable "successful" to Days Gone or even "profitable" Death Stranding, remains to be seen. 🤷

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Around 20 hours main campaign does sound like a great length that jusifies the high price tag. Hope it remains true when reviews drop. I'd love to play the game day one and add to those 20 hours 20 hours of me just taking photos in that beauty. :)

I've made a post about this on the PS Studios OT. I looked at the users who've gotten certain trophies in PSNProfiles and then searched them on PS5 to check the reported playtime. You can see it below.

Only 6 people have gotten the platinum so far in Ratchet. Their times were
20h
29h (played yesterday for the last time, maybe on a second run?)
17h
20h
23h
<1h (obviously a bug with the tracker)

Looking at the people that got the Gold trophy for finishing the story, but not the Platinum, the playtimes were
15h
11h
25h
26h
22h
19h
12h
11h

It's a huge discrepancy. Don't know if the 11h/12h folk rushed through the game and cutscenes, if the tracker wasn't working, or if there's any other reason, but they look out of place. Looks like it'll take around 15-22h for the average player to complete the story.

Still a small sample size with only 28.5% of people having the Gold, and there are 10 trophies (excluding the platinum) that have a higher rarity than that. There's another player that has not gotten the Gold yet, but has what appears to be the third to last story related trophy, and clocked 26h into the game.

On a personal note, I got 22h out of Miles Morales (still not 100% in NG+) and 26h out of Ratchet PS4, so I'll probably take a while before I'm done with Rift Apart.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Additionally, while people still buy those big, new Sony exclusives that only once in a while release, they might tighten their purse strings with other, smaller games instead.

It's really complicate to determine either way because physical buyers can pay less but it counts as a full priced one. Paid 60€ for Returnal physical at launch and have Ratchet preordered for 60 too, but for Sony it's like I bought a 80€ copy I guess.