• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What a boneheaded decision to make this game 1080p on X

Game looks like a mess really bad IQ with tons of shimmering, bad filtering, lod swaps right at your face.

Would vastly prefer a 4kish 30fps option over what we got.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I double-checked and that was an in-game cutscene, which is why the character model looks so good. Also, she's a key character, not just a random NPC.

It's a cutscene, that uses in-game models, that cuts right to the NPC.

Rage2_Screenshot_2019.png

My only concern about Rage 2 is the performance isn't really there. In comparison to Doom 2016, that game performed a bit better. Especially when you ran it in Vulkan. Here, Rage 2 hitches and stutters a lot. I hope this gets patched sooner than later.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
it is crazy in a "hey kids, this is crazy, right?" way...the marketing for this game made it look like a wasteland full of chaos, instead of that, the whole thing happens only in set spots and the world is boring af. if this game is "crazy" i am Santa Clause lol...the game is generic as it gets.

besides that, thinking about it, even in 2019 gamers are really easily pleased, "i am shooting shit so i am having fun!"-which is not a good measure for a game but a reason 90% of all games still involve shooting. it is the same as "it is fun with friends", also not a good measure for a game.

who cares about a shitty narrative, cardboard cutout NPCs, jumbled progression, non existent challenge, copy and paste content and plainly bad graphics right?

also, what i am seeing more and more: people are trying to justify their purchases, it is obvious with many releases. thing is, with enough gaming experience and decades of playing these people will be over this behaviour and see the games how they really are, regardless of the price they paid. reason why some people like Jeff Gerstmann come off as bored or annoyed at games sometimes, they directly see the strings where everything is attached.

and in the case of Rage 2, it shows a generic open world copy and paste-a-thon trying to come off as crazy when in its core it is conservative and as heck.
SEETHING

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't go with id Tech engine for this...that's probably why it doesn't look as good as people were expecting...

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
What a boneheaded decision to make this game 1080p on X

Game looks like a mess really bad IQ with tons of shimmering, bad filtering, lod swaps right at your face.

Would vastly prefer a 4kish 30fps option over what we got.

Nah, 60fps is life for this game. That said, no harm in having a 4K/30 mode for ones that want it.... but, FYI, the game just doesn't look great regardless. See posts from PC users running at 1440p+ that also complain about IQ.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
So I played ~ 3 hours so far and I´ll be honest: I did not expect it to be THAT much fun. For me as a fan of Doom, Titanfall, Bioshock and Prey this is like a wet dream.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm surprised they didn't go with id Tech engine for this...that's probably why it doesn't look as good as people were expecting...
The problem is that idTech isn't designed for open world gameplay. It certainly supports large environments, but it wouldn't do very well with the type of game RAGE 2 is. Avalanche is a dev that has long been making open world titles, and has their own engine specifically suited to such. It was just the most logical choice.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I booted up and played for a short while,it's feels a bit weird to have the smooth shooting of an id game in a massive open world,pretty great though.Had to chase Amazon up for my pre-order stuff as they never sent my code.I really want that settler pistol from the first game,doubt I'll ever use it though,lol.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So I played ~ 3 hours so far and I´ll be honest: I did not expect it to be THAT much fun. For me as a fan of Doom, Titanfall, Bioshock and Prey this is like a wet dream.
It's like Doom Borderlands to me and that's perfect. Story is like Killzone tier kinda. Some will like it, some won't and some like me are completely indifferent to it. It's there as a vehicle to crazy shootouts and it gives that in spades so far.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nah, 60fps is life for this game. That said, no harm in having a 4K/30 mode for ones that want it.... but, FYI, the game just doesn't look great regardless. See posts from PC users running at 1440p+ that also complain about IQ.
I can see how it doesn't look that good. But imagine that stretched to a 4K screen. It looks super ultra bad.

I usually don't mind playing at lower res, but in this game I think it crosses the threshold of what's acceptable, perhaps because the iq itself is quite bad regardless.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have redeemed my amazon preorder code. Yet I can't find any download anywhere for it. Any idea ?

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I can see how it doesn't look that good. But imagine that stretched to a 4K screen. It looks super ultra bad.

I usually don't mind playing at lower res, but in this game I think it crosses the threshold of what's acceptable, perhaps because the iq itself is quite bad regardless.

Yep it needs a 4K 30 mode on console. At least as an option.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think my favorite part so far is still the very beginning right after you choose your male or female character and
the character you didn't choose gets unceremoniously killed by the door exploding into their face and no one even talks about it

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
It's like Doom Borderlands to me and that's perfect. Story is like Killzone tier kinda. Some will like it, some won't and some like me are completely indifferent to it. It's there as a vehicle to crazy shootouts and it gives that in spades so far.
Cannot wait to get out off work today. Doom, Borderlands with a sprinkling of KZ? Whew...this hit every note for me.

vahlorie

Oct 26, 2017
Been over an hour and the Bethesda Launcher still hasn't recognized my purchase.

Lordy, these publishers really are good at disincentivizing purchasing anywhere but Steam.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone here a premium member of https://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/ ? I'm trying to convert 1.0 sensitivity in Apex Legends to Rage 2, but it tells me I need a membership and yeah, naaaaaahhh fam. I'm not gonna be subscribing to random sites for just that.

Or alternatively, are there any other resources for converting mouse sensitivity settings between games?

Pm me your mouse sense in legends as well as your dpi.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
https://imgur.com/a/du4fnjk

That about sums it up for me. The -gun-thats-shaking-to-death-cuz-we-had-nothing-better-to-emulate-recoil is plain bad, not all weapons are actually effective and the big bads are too samey in terms of patterns, not to mention some elements straight up copy pasted to death (the blue cannisters used as weakpoints be it on convoys or on bosses)

Technically speaking its also not great maxed out on PC, that and there's just no difficulty at ALL even in nightmare, you can waltz around 6 - 8 enemies at all times and barely take damage .. they even had to make enemies spongey to somehow make encounters relevant

Shame. Guess Avalanche just aren't great since JC 2

unknownspectator

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think my favorite part so far is still the very beginning right after you choose your male or female character and
the character you didn't choose gets unceremoniously killed by the door exploding into their face and no one even talks about it

actually...

If you look at the body, they do a quip saying they're glad it wasn't them

Coma Ecliptic

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
it is crazy in a "hey kids, this is crazy, right?" way...the marketing for this game made it look like a wasteland full of chaos, instead of that, the whole thing happens only in set spots and the world is boring af. if this game is "crazy" i am Santa Clause lol...the game is generic as it gets.

besides that, thinking about it, even in 2019 gamers are really easily pleased, "i am shooting shit so i am having fun!"-which is not a good measure for a game but a reason 90% of all games still involve shooting. it is the same as "it is fun with friends", also not a good measure for a game.

who cares about a shitty narrative, cardboard cutout NPCs, jumbled progression, non existent challenge, copy and paste content and plainly bad graphics right?

also, what i am seeing more and more: people are trying to justify their purchases, it is obvious with many releases. thing is, with enough gaming experience and decades of playing these people will be over this behaviour and see the games how they really are, regardless of the price they paid. reason why some people like Jeff Gerstmann come off as bored or annoyed at games sometimes, they directly see the strings where everything is attached.

and in the case of Rage 2, it shows a generic open world copy and paste-a-thon trying to come off as crazy when in its core it is conservative and as heck.
Looking at your post history it appears you have some agenda against this game, coincidentally Days Gone as well. We get it dude/dudette, you don't like the game. Move along.

I'm having a blast with it so far. Is it a GOTY contender, no, BUT the shooting feels fantastic, the shotgun is amazing, the headshots, ohhhhhh baby the headshots. Perfect pick up and play to shoot stuff DOOM 2016 style Podcast etc game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at your post history it appears you have some agenda against this game, coincidentally Days Gone as well. We get it dude/dudette, you don't like the game. Move along.
I've come around to Dphex's posts.

I know they can be frustrating to see over and over when you're really enjoying a game, but their opinion is valid. And they can still enjoy and want to spend time with a game while being upset about the flaws that prevent the experience from being elevated for them. I can understand their frustrations even if it can bother me to keep reading it over and over (when it gets there, I just scroll past now).

You can always ignore someone if their posts are too much for you.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017

You're getting some flack for this post, but I wanted to say I agree 100%.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Won't be able to play for a few days but I hope you're all having fun. From what I've been reading and watching, it sounds like a blast.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've come around to Dphex's posts.

I know they can be frustrating to see over and over when you're really enjoying a game, but their opinion is valid. And they can still enjoy and want to spend time with a game while being upset about the flaws that prevent the experience from being elevated for them. I can understand their frustrations even if it can bother me to keep reading it over and over (when it gets there, I just scroll past now).

You can always ignore someone if their posts are too much for you.

There's a difference between voicing frustrations and dissenting opinions and making shit statements about 2019 gamers being 'easily pleased' and people trying to 'justify their purchases.'

He's not merely voicing his discontent with the game, he's essentially telling people who enjoy it that their enjoyment is wrong-headed and predicated on their unsophisticated taste and/or their need to justify their purchase, which is painfully myopic, arrogant and flatly insulting.

I haven't had a chance to play my copy yet so it's entirely possible I'll agree with at least some of his criticisms but it's entirely possible to deliver a negative critique without labeling those who disagree with you as brainless sheeple, which is very much how his diatribe comes off.

My assumption is that's why it's pissing people off.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a consensus on the PC version yet? Good port? Bad port? Better off playing on console?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

i have no agenda, trust me, i just voice my opinion. as you see, i have already moved along because the game is not even worth talking about anymore.

there were many games this generation i´ve enjoyed from start to finish, this year i am not so pleased so far, that is all. Days Gone, The Division 2 and now Rage 2 were really disappointing and had all checklist style gameplay and standard elements.

i also happily point out flaws in games i liked because every game will have flaws, its not that i am- for example- raving about Sekiro´s enemy variety and rehashing of enemies or Nex Machina´s friendliness to newcomers in the shooting genre.

so, have fun in the "crazy" world of Rage 2 and the surely awesome upcoming content for it

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between voicing frustrations and dissenting opinions and making shit statements about 2019 gamers being 'easily pleased' and people trying to 'justify their purchases.'

He's not merely voicing his discontent with the game, he's essentially telling people who enjoy it that their enjoyment is wrong-headed and predicated on their unsophisticated taste and/or their need to justify their purchase, which is painfully myopic, arrogant and flatly insulting.

I haven't had a chance to play my copy yet so it's entirely possible I'll agree with at least some of his criticisms but it's entirely possible to deliver a negative critique without labeling those who disagree with you as brainless sheeple, which is very much how his diatribe comes off.

It's his thing and honestly it sounds like he needs a break from gaming and/or needs to play less games.

When you're buying new games and playing them even though they are not products you're likely to enjoy then it's time to question why you even play games anymore.

Gestermann plays every new release because it's his job so you can excuse him for being jaded, he has no choice. What's this guys excuse?

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cutscene, that uses in-game models, that cuts right to the NPC.

Rage2_Screenshot_2019.png

My only concern about Rage 2 is the performance isn't really there. In comparison to Doom 2016, that game performed a bit better. Especially when you ran it in Vulkan. Here, Rage 2 hitches and stutters a lot. I hope this gets patched sooner than later.
This a completely different engine (Apex) the game is running on though, right? This isn't any iteration of id Tech.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

My assumption is that's why it's pissing people off.
Yeh, that's fair enough. Statements like those are arrogant and unproductive, there's no need for them at all.

It may very well be that some people are "easier to please" in that they don't find certain flaws to be a big deal, but framing it the way you highlighted is needlessly condescending.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I was only going to play for like an hour last night and it ended up being 2 and now i'm draggin. this day is gonna be so slow. finding stuff on the map feels more rewarding than when i played Far Cry but i think it's because it's an excuse to blow some shit up and the gunplay feels great.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I got about three hours of playtime in, and maybe I'm just an easily pleased 2019 gamer, but I'm having a lot of fun with this. The combat is very satisfying to me so far, with meaty sounding guns, and pretty fun abilities to use. It doesn't reach Doom 2016 levels of fun, but honestly it's a pretty lofty height to try and reach. Once I started unlocking the different skills, movement abilities, and some gun upgrades; things really took off for me. The joy of combat is generally what tempts me to get out of my vehicle and engage in the open world aspects.

Speaking of the open world, it's fine so far. I don't play a lot of open world games, I don't buy most of the new releases as they come out, so I'm not super burned out on the typical open world formula. However, one major thing I notice about this game is the lack of emergent gameplay, or a dynamic feeling in the world. Every firefight I've come across is placed by hand, and most everything you find is marked on the map. I recently grabbed Far Cry 5 on sale, and it's clear Ubisoft is light years ahead of Avalanche in this regard. When taking over compounds in FC5, I'd occassionally already run into a compound being seiged by AI comrades who happened to be attacking it. Basically the world felt a bit more alive and dynamic, whereas so far Rage 2 does not. Which is fine, but it certainly feels more bare bones.

So far this scratches my itch for more fast paced shooting where I'm not stuck with weapon limits, weak feeling weapons, and just an overall faster pace. That alone will be enough to carry me on, but there was indeed a lot of potential to do more that was squandered. I really hope they add more to the vehicle combat in a future DLC. Right now it pales compared to Mad Max in that area.

Fox Blood

Oct 30, 2017
Just a heads up to UK Era folks, it's £35 on currys website with code 'RAGE10' (today only) if anyone's tempted at that price. I'm really on the fence :(