• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
While i'm sure the feature will be well used by people who like to hop between many games (i'm not one of them), I really don't think I would label Quick Resume as one of the most next-gen features but maybe I would have a different opinion if I too skipped between 5 different games like a madman.
You don't have to switch between for multiple games for it to be useful.

By being a system wide feature means you always get the benefits even in old games. Which means it's going to be more useful than features that requires dev intervention like activities.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
You don't have to switch between for multiple games for it to be useful.

By being a system wide feature means you always get the benefits even in old games. Which means it's going to be more useful than features that requires dev intervention like activities.

I am expecting the activity cards to support save states too. If not at launch then soon enough.

Anyways since I usually don't play more than two games at a time (one multiplayer and one singleplayer) I really don't need anything other than the suspend feature as we know it.

Again I can see why some are excited for this feature but it just doesn't really excite me personally.

I also think it would have been alot more impactful if it was a feature for the current gen instead of next-gen where we have very fast SSDs and loading will be alot less of a problem.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tony Hawk and a Resident Evil game. Actually, I have TH, RE2 and RE3 on physical for PS4 and I will get digital for Xbox only for quick resume lol

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Really feel like I'm going to get a lot of use out of it with Spelunky 2.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
After watching Alanah's video I can definitely see the benefit even for one story driven game. Being able to hop right into the place you left off without having to replay part of a save or checkpoint is nice. I think it will be great for games with procedural/randomly generated levels. Having to set the controller down in the middle of a good run is frustrating so this is a great solution for that situation.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
To the two that quoted me, sorry I'm on the road and this is the easiest way to answer but I'm not disagreeing with how great that feature is and honestly we are semi-spoiled on PC with a lot of these things but the truth of the matter is that it's an awesome feature and there's no knocking it and I don't care which platforms do and don't have it any other quality of life improvements I will praise till the end of the day. My take on the controller still stands as far as something of a game changer when it comes to how the interaction of games work because once you're in the game it's rather menial whether you're in and two or 30 seconds and as quick as both the consoles are, and hopefully PC will follow some of this stuff with direct storage, it's the user and experience when it comes to how we interact with the games.

At the end of the day it's such a good time to be in this industry and if you are as impartial as you can be and appreciate the technology not just on the console front but on the display and we are really in a paradigm shift from here on out.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I am expecting the activity cards to support save states too. If not at launch then soon enough.

Anyways since I usually don't play more than two games at a time (one multiplayer and one singleplayer) I really don't need anything other than the suspend feature as we know it.

Again I can see why some are excited for this feature but it just doesn't really excite me personally.

I also think it would have been alot more impactful if it was a feature for the current gen instead of next-gen where we have very fast SSDs and loading will be alot less of a problem.
Save state and activities are not exactly the same.

And yeah, ideally both would be great.

But as a single feature quick resume is objectively superior because it solves the following issue:

www.resetera.com

Devil May Cry V: Special Edition Loading Comparison (PS5 vs PS4 Pro)

Edit: I removed the video because that guy seems to be a bit of a twat. Booting up with unskippable (?) logos Individual Chapters: It'd be very frustrating if the logos aren't skippable at all.

Whereas with activities if the developer don't implement them, you are stuck with the regular process of load and un skippable boot sequences.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Quick Resume is by far the coolest next gen feature in my opinion, I'm very excited to give it a try!

On Day One I'll rotate through the following:

1. Gears 5
2. Tetris Connected
3. Gears Tactics
4. MAYBE Assassin's Creed Valhalla :)
5. Rocket League (as always)

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Really feel like I'm going to get a lot of use out of it with Spelunky 2.
Ironically, I think Spelunky 2 isn't going to benefit that much unless you mean you want to suspend the game mid-run. I'm pretty sure the game (and indies in general) will boot up within single digit seconds because they don't have to show a million logos like some bigger games do.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Probably some form of a Sports game combined with a true SP experience.

There are times where I really want to play something like FIFA for 20 minutes and being able to instantly play it without quitting my other game is great.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ironically, I think Spelunky 2 isn't going to benefit that much unless you mean you want to suspend the game mid-run. I'm pretty sure the game (and indies in general) will boot up within single digit seconds because they don't have to show a million logos like some bigger games do.
That's exactly what I mean! Just going to feed into the addictive nature of it when I don't need to worry about having the time for a full run before anything else. Sometimes paused it and gone away to do other things and then wanted to move to something else after as not in the same mindset. So usually play it more fast and loose to wrap it up, whereas be nice to have the option of suspending it for when I have more time.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Save state and activities are not exactly the same.

And yeah, ideally both would be great.

But as a single feature quick resume is objectively superior because it solves the following issue:

www.resetera.com

Devil May Cry V: Special Edition Loading Comparison (PS5 vs PS4 Pro)

Edit: I removed the video because that guy seems to be a bit of a twat. Booting up with unskippable (?) logos Individual Chapters: It'd be very frustrating if the logos aren't skippable at all.

Whereas with activities if the developer don't implement them, you are stuck with the regular process of load and un skippable boot sequences.

I know that what we have seen from activities is not the same as save states as seen in Quick resume. But what I'm saying is that I fully expect to see activity cards to support save states in the same way as quick resume. It's a no brainer. People will be able to make their own activity card (save state) so they can jump back into the action.
If this isn't a thing at launch then I think it will come soon enough as it looks like the required systems are already (mostly) in place.

Anyways it really doesn't change my opinion on this entire subject. I don't find Quick Resume that exciting and neither would I find it very exciting if the PS5 has a similar feature.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly what I mean! Just going to feed into the addictive nature of it when I don't need to worry about having the time for a full run before anything else. Sometimes paused it and gone away to do other things and then wanted to move to something else after as not in the same mindset. So usually play it more fast and loose to wrap it up, whereas be nice to have the option of suspending it for when I have more time.
Yeah, it's perfect for that. I totally agree.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yet the people who used it said otherwise.

the beauty of it is even if you don't intend to use it, it will be there waiting for where you left off 8 weeks ago.
I wonder how disorienting that would be. I restarted Pillars of Eternity Deadfire, and Divinity Original Sin games many times because I took too long of a break from them each time.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I will probably have some GaaS at all times (even though I know you will need to reconnect so why?), an RPG, a looter, and whatever primary game I am playing at the time.

Quick resume is actually one of the things making me vaguely consider getting Black Ops Cold War on XSX even though I know PS5 is still the lead platform, just for the quick resume feature.

Of course that all depends on launch day reviews, might just get it on PC.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Mine will probably look like:

-Yakuza: Like A Dragon
-Halo: MCC
-Fable 2

I imagine there will also be one or two first party games from Gamepass in there since I skipped out on the X1 this gen. I got some catching up to do since my backlog is about to explode.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Ironically it's only possible on this new gen, writing 9GB to a hdd wouldn't be quick or effective on a PS4 or Xbox One.

I know you're not sold on this feature, but it's really useful, much more useful then loading a save from an activity card - which is also really cool and useful 😁

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm mainly playing Apex, R6 Siege, Control and Halo Wars 2 at the moment, being able to load those up in a moments notice when I get an invite

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Ironically it's only possible on this new gen, writing 9GB to a hdd wouldn't be quick or effective on a PS4 or Xbox One.

I know you're not sold on this feature, but it's really useful, much more useful then loading a save from an activity card - which is also really cool and useful 😁

Yeah I understand that it couldn't be done this current gen where we actually needed it.

I don't think you understand my point about custom activity cards though. It would in function be the exact same as quick resume.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Ok. So quick resume is overhyped now?
As the "best feature of next-gen"? Absofukinglutely.

The point, however, is that the same thing you said about fans downplaying features because they may not be getting it, is the same thing that can be said about fans overhyping features because they think its exclusive to their platform. As I said, that hit can go either way. Don't know what the issue is... I sure as hell hasn't spoken for or against quick resume and what I actually think.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Day one, based on what I'm playing right now, and assuming the console actually arrives next week, it will probably be:

Day of the Tentacle Remastered, or Full Throttle if I've moved on by then
Wasteland 3
Fallout 76
RB6 Siege
and
AC: Valhalla

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I know that we have seen from activities is not the same as save states as seen in Quick resume. But what I'm saying is that I fully expect to see activity cards to support save states in the same way as quick resume. It's a no brainer. People will be able to make their own activity card (save state) so they can jump back into the action.
If this isn't a thing at launch then I think it will come soon enough as it looks like the required systems are already (mostly) in place.

Anyways it really doesn't change my opinion on this entire subject. I don't find Quick Resume that exciting and neither would I find it very exciting if the PS5 has a similar feature.
I don't know if it's a no brainer, it has some implications and it's not something you can do post launch for example.

Like how you are going to ask users to expand the OS reserve to make up the space lost?

But I don't see how it can be no exciting when at the very least it provides the same end experience as activities without requiring the dev to implement it, and work in cases.

We are getting an example at launch with DMC5.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah I understand that it couldn't be done this current gen where we actually needed it.

I don't think you understand my point about custom activity cards though. It would in function be the exact same as quick resume.
Oh, I see what you were saying. That'd be awesome if it actually happened. I'm of the mind that if we don't get Quick Resume on day 1 firmware for PS5 we should ask for it, it's incredibly useful and we should all benefit from it. Hell, I'd even sacrifice the SSD speed for it (and by that I mean have the same speed as the Series X, I'm not a lunatic)

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
Although I'm not getting an Series X day 1, it's a feature that would be very useful for me, i'm hoping the PS5 has something similar.

One thing that always bothered me about Xbox One's suspend and play system is it never had you confirm that you want to quit your current suspended game. I lost progress on quite a few games due to that. At least on PS4 it led you to a confirmation screen, if you had another game running.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I have so many game pass indies that are loaded up and half done. And I often think... yea... but I could just continue my progress on the new game instead of loading up an old save. With QR, that's another barrier down. Switching to another game if I get bored or frustrated in the moment.

If I can just jump straight into a race anytime, FH4 will live in queue. Tetris Effect Connected, probably! If there's room, I also wouldn't mind pinning Hitman. I don't play often, but sometimes, each mission can take hours for me. Being able to jump out at a mental save state and then come back later could be great (course, you have to remember what you're doing in between haha).

I realize I play games SLOW. So, I will likely also have a couple big games in the backlog loaded up. Wasteland 3 and Yakuza for the moment until I finish them. Probably replaced by Dragon Quest or Assassin's Creed, then Starfield or Avowed when those come out.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I don't know if it's a no Brainerd, it has some implications and it's not something you can do post launch for example.

Like how you are going to ask users to expand the OS reserve to make up the space lost?

But I don't see how it can be no exciting when at the very least it provides the same end experience as activities without requiring the dev to implement it, and work in cases.

We are getting an example at launch with DMC5.

Ofcourse it would work even post launch. I don't think there needs to be space reserved at all. There's pros and cons to it not being tied to reserved space. If it works outside of reserved space then there is no limit to how many games you could "suspend" with activity cards other than the amount of free space that you have.

These custom activity cards also would be system level and wouldn't need to be implemented by devs like normal activity cards. So Yeah seems like a no brainer to me.

Anyways I don't really know why or when this became a Quick Resume versus Activity Cards thing. Neither really excites me. But I do understand that this may be because of my personal playstyle.

Don't get me wrong I can definitely see that it's a useful feature, especially so for those that actually play multiple games at the same time. I just don't think it's one of the most next-gen next-gen features which was all I said.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'm very curious how Quick Resume is going to work with multiple profiles.

We have three people who all play on our Xbox, and tend to be different games (but sometimes the same). So will we each be able to quick resume into our games based on profile?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Oh, I see what you were saying. That'd be awesome if it actually happened. I'm of the mind that if we don't get Quick Resume on day 1 firmware for PS5 we should ask for it, it's incredibly useful and we should all benefit from it. Hell, I'd even sacrifice the SSD speed for it (and by that I mean have the same speed as the Series X, I'm not a lunatic)

If it isn't a feature at launch then i'm positive it's just a matter of time. Especially since it seems like plenty of people actually want such a feature and the required systems seem to be in place already.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's neat, but I tend to only play one game at a time before moving on to the next, so I don't see myself using it.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
If it isn't a feature at launch then i'm positive it's just a matter of time. Especially since it seems like plenty of people actually want such a feature and the required systems seem to be in place already.
It would have to be opt in at that point because they won't be able to reserve the space on the SSD retroactively without users saying yes.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If it's filled with indies / smaller games it holds more than 5 right? I'll be cycling on the regular then.

in a party chat and friend goes out for a smoke break, hop into one of my other games while waiting for them to come back.

i don't think people will understand how good that is unless they can experience it themselves though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If it's filled with indies / smaller games it holds more than 5 right? I'll be cycling on the regular then.

in a party chat and friend goes out for a smoke break, hop into one of my other games while waiting for them to come back.

I'm sure there was someone reporting that they had up to 14 games suspended (when they were doing a lot of indie/BC stuff)

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing this in my future:
1. Whatever game I'm playing through at the moment will be either Gears 5 or Ori
2. Tetris Connected
3. Dead or Alive 6
4. Dirt 5

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
In the beginning it will be Valhalla, and I really want to play through the Gears of War games and both Ori games. So those will be in my queue. And then Dragon Quest in december. Grind some mobs, play some Gears, go back to Dragon Quest. Wonder if its going to change my gaming habits.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's going to be a godsend for games that you just want to dip into for a few minutes - like racing games or Tony Hawk.

I actually stopped playing THPS1+2 when I started on AC Odyssey, as loading between the two takes ages. I usually just want to skate around for a few minutes in a stage or two, and spending just as long (or longer) waiting for it to load just doesn't seem worth it.

Also, with all the talk about SSDs and fast loading, many games will still want us to sit through unskippable logos. Quick resume is going to solve that problem at least.

I'll also inevitably have multiple OG/360 games queued up at any time. It seems kinda weird we don't have a definitive answer on how many we can have at a time though.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
What are you arguing then? There needs to be space reserved for such a feature.

I don't think you understand the difference between reserving and using space.

Reserving space in advance lets say 30 gigs would mean that you reduced the usable portion of your storage by said 30 gigs. You can't touch that reserved space as it's not meant for anything else than a specific purpose. Reserving space for a specific feature is also a limiting factor for said feature as that feature can't go beyond the reserved amount.

Taking up space is using whatever unreserved space is left on your SSD. It's alot less limiting as you could fill the entire storage space if youd want to (except for the space that is reserved ofcourse).

So no, you would not need to have a reserved space to use the feature but you would need to have space available.

Edit: What MS has done is reserve an amount of space on their SSD meant purely for their Quick Resume feature. It's a fine way to do things but it's also why Quick Resume has a limit to how many games you can suspend at the same time. If they had allowed their Quick resume feature to work with plain available space then there would not have been a limit to how many games you could suspend at the same time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I don't think you understand the difference between reserving and using space.

Reserving space in advance lets say 30 gigs would mean that you reduced the usable portion of your storage by said 30 gigs. You can't touch that reserved space as it's not meant for anything else than a specific purpose. Reserving space for a specific feature is also a limiting factor for said feature as that feature can't go beyond the reserved amount.

Taking up space is using whatever unreserved space is left on your SSD. It's alot less limiting as you could fill the entire storage space if youd want to (except for the space that is reserved ofcourse).

So no, you would not need to have a reserved space to use the feature but you would need to have space available.
The Xbox is reserving space to make sure the feature always works for the end user. I would assume Sony would do the same thing.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
The Xbox is reserving space to make sure the feature always works for the end user. I would assume Sony would do the same thing.

You missed my edit it seems.

Anyways I'm sure the feature would work without reserved space. Save files function without a certain amount of reserved space right? If you have used emulators before you would know that you can make pretty much as many savestates as you would like.

I'm also sure that Sony would probably use reserved space aswell if the feature is available at launch. But if it isn't available at launch then they don't need to retroactively have to reserve space. I'd actually argue that it might be better if they just allowed players to choose how many savestates they want to make. Let players decide how they want to use their storage.